Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 3

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 28 Jun 2006, 07:24 pm
geoff.rich@btinternet.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 90 accord pgmfi/water leak

Just to pick some brains -2li, June 90 Accord, UK spec.

On the front of the pgmfi unit ( where PGMFI is written) - just about
next to the throttle cable attachment and spring, is a small unit
bolted on, with two small water hoses coming out of the base, and an
electrical connector off top right.
The base plate, where the hoses connect, is held by three screws.
I have a small water leak from the base plate so need to take the unit
off the pgmfi main body to replace gasket.
Is this just mounted on the side of the pgmfi unit, for convenience -
or is there some futher connection between the intake manifold and this
unit.

I don't want to disturb things, really, without knowing what exactly
lurks inside, as the leak is very slight - but drippiing coolant is a
bit corrosive. I can't get to the screws at the base without removing
the two mounting bolts.

I can't find any of the online manuals at honda.co.uk I had links to
working any longer - it seems the 'Power of Dreams' has decided that we
have to do just that in terms of online manuals. Are they still
available anywhere ?
Geoff - Bristol UK

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 28 Jun 2006, 07:49 pm
geoff.rich@btinternet.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 90 accord pgmfi/water leak


geoff.r...@btinternet.com wrote:
> Just to pick some brains -2li, June 90 Accord, UK spec.
>
> On the front of the pgmfi unit ( where PGMFI is written) - just about
> next to the throttle cable attachment and spring, is a small unit
> bolted on, with two small water hoses coming out of the base, and an
> electrical connector off top right.
> The base plate, where the hoses connect, is held by three screws.
> I have a small water leak from the base plate so need to take the unit
> off the pgmfi main body to replace gasket.
> Is this just mounted on the side of the pgmfi unit, for convenience -
> or is there some futher connection between the intake manifold and this
> unit.
>
> I don't want to disturb things, really, without knowing what exactly
> lurks inside, as the leak is very slight - but drippiing coolant is a
> bit corrosive. I can't get to the screws at the base without removing
> the two mounting bolts.
>
> I can't find any of the online manuals at honda.co.uk I had links to
> working any longer - it seems the 'Power of Dreams' has decided that we
> have to do just that in terms of online manuals. Are they still
> available anywhere ?
> Geoff - Bristol UK

OK - since posting have found autozone drawing. Would appear to be eacv
valve, an O ring connection behind.?
Anybody know what's under the base plate of the valve - I'd presume
just a water chamber where the two pipes enter ? I just need to remake
the joint.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 28 Jun 2006, 08:22 pm
TeGGeR®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 90 accord pgmfi/water leak

geoff.rich@btinternet.com wrote in
news:1151540663.439452.190960@p79g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com:

> Just to pick some brains -2li, June 90 Accord, UK spec.
>
> On the front of the pgmfi unit ( where PGMFI is written)




That's the intake manifold. The PGM-FI "unit" is in the passenger
compartment. Honda just put that sticker on there for decoration
(I'm not kidding).



> - just about
> next to the throttle cable attachment and spring, is a small unit
> bolted on, with two small water hoses coming out of the base, and an
> electrical connector off top right.




That's the Electronic Air Control Valve. It controls idle speed. The
coolant hoses are actually for *heating*, so its narrow internal passages
won't ice up on you.




> The base plate, where the hoses connect, is held by three screws.
> I have a small water leak from the base plate so need to take the unit
> off the pgmfi main body to replace gasket.
> Is this just mounted on the side of the pgmfi unit, for convenience -
> or is there some futher connection between the intake manifold and this
> unit.




There is an intake passage in the throttle body in front of the throttle
plate (the upper of the two holes in the throttle body), and an outlet on
the other side of the throttle plate, which you can't see.

Those don't mean anything to you though, so don't worry about them.


>
> I don't want to disturb things, really, without knowing what exactly
> lurks inside, as the leak is very slight - but drippiing coolant is a
> bit corrosive. I can't get to the screws at the base without removing
> the two mounting bolts.




The EACV unbolts with two bolts towards the rear. Between the EACV and the
throttle body are two oval O-rings, which are usually OK even with this
age. Don't lose them! And don't worry about the coolant drips. There won't
be much, provided the engine is cold.

Once the EACV is off the intake manifold you can undo the coolant hoses to
remove it from the vehicle. If they won't come off (which is likely), have
new ones handy, then cut the old ones off. They will be hard and brittle
with age. You'll probably need new clamps as well. The old ones will be
fine if they haven't rusted through.

Have some extra coolant handy. When you put the works back together, the
air will get purged out automatically, and the reservoir level may drop a
bit.



>
> I can't find any of the online manuals at honda.co.uk I had links to
> working any longer - it seems the 'Power of Dreams' has decided that we
> have to do just that in terms of online manuals. Are they still
> available anywhere ?



The manuals have moved. Try here:
http://www.honda.co.uk/car/owner/workshop.html
Your car's not there, but the '91 is going to be close enough.


--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 28 Jun 2006, 08:26 pm
TeGGeR®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 90 accord pgmfi/water leak

geoff.rich@btinternet.com wrote in
news:1151542177.602302.266830@b68g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com:


> OK - since posting have found autozone drawing. Would appear to be eacv
> valve, an O ring connection behind.?




Two O-rings. And they're more oval.

Check the state of the screen in front of the inlet. If it's really filthy,
brush off the worst of it with a toothbrush, then get some throttle-body
cleaner and spray it 'til it's clean.



> Anybody know what's under the base plate of the valve - I'd presume
> just a water chamber where the two pipes enter ? I just need to remake
> the joint.




It's just a water chamber. The water goes in one hose and goes out the
other. Strictly a heater for the EACV to make sure it doesn't ice up. The
water and the air are kept separated.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 28 Jun 2006, 09:29 pm
SoCalMike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 90 accord pgmfi/water leak

geoff.rich@btinternet.com wrote:
> Is this just mounted on the side of the pgmfi unit, for convenience -
> or is there some futher connection between the intake manifold and this
> unit.


sounds like the IAC.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jul 2006, 07:44 am
geoff.rich@btinternet.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 90 accord pgmfi/water leak


TeGGeR® wrote:
> geoff.rich@btinternet.com wrote in
> news:1151540663.439452.190960@p79g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com:
>
> > Just to pick some brains -2li, June 90 Accord, UK spec.
> >
> > On the front of the pgmfi unit ( where PGMFI is written)

>
>
>
> That's the intake manifold. The PGM-FI "unit" is in the passenger
> compartment. Honda just put that sticker on there for decoration
> (I'm not kidding).
>
>
>
> > - just about
> > next to the throttle cable attachment and spring, is a small unit
> > bolted on, with two small water hoses coming out of the base, and an
> > electrical connector off top right.

>
>
>
> That's the Electronic Air Control Valve. It controls idle speed. The
> coolant hoses are actually for *heating*, so its narrow internal passages
> won't ice up on you.
>
>
>
>
> > The base plate, where the hoses connect, is held by three screws.
> > I have a small water leak from the base plate so need to take the unit
> > off the pgmfi main body to replace gasket.
> > Is this just mounted on the side of the pgmfi unit, for convenience -
> > or is there some futher connection between the intake manifold and this
> > unit.

>
>
>
> There is an intake passage in the throttle body in front of the throttle
> plate (the upper of the two holes in the throttle body), and an outlet on
> the other side of the throttle plate, which you can't see.
>
> Those don't mean anything to you though, so don't worry about them.
>
>
> >
> > I don't want to disturb things, really, without knowing what exactly
> > lurks inside, as the leak is very slight - but drippiing coolant is a
> > bit corrosive. I can't get to the screws at the base without removing
> > the two mounting bolts.

>
>
>
> The EACV unbolts with two bolts towards the rear. Between the EACV and the
> throttle body are two oval O-rings, which are usually OK even with this
> age. Don't lose them! And don't worry about the coolant drips. There won't
> be much, provided the engine is cold.
>
> Once the EACV is off the intake manifold you can undo the coolant hoses to
> remove it from the vehicle. If they won't come off (which is likely), have
> new ones handy, then cut the old ones off. They will be hard and brittle
> with age. You'll probably need new clamps as well. The old ones will be
> fine if they haven't rusted through.
>
> Have some extra coolant handy. When you put the works back together, the
> air will get purged out automatically, and the reservoir level may drop a
> bit.
>
>
>
> >
> > I can't find any of the online manuals at honda.co.uk I had links to
> > working any longer - it seems the 'Power of Dreams' has decided that we
> > have to do just that in terms of online manuals. Are they still
> > available anywhere ?

>
>
> The manuals have moved. Try here:
> http://www.honda.co.uk/car/owner/workshop.html
> Your car's not there, but the '91 is going to be close enough.
>
>
> --
> TeGGeR®
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

Many thanks - nice to know what these things do ! Will try the new link
for the manuals.

One thing I've noticed lately - is that the idle speed does not seem to
be increasing when the air con is on - it should I think kick up to 900
from 800.
I had a recent problem with the speed sensor not reading, giving me a
17 fault code - but since splitting the connector and reconnecting its
been ok - but I havn't re set the ecu. Might that be the cause ?
Geoff -Bristol UK

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jul 2006, 10:30 pm
TeGGeR®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 90 accord pgmfi/water leak

geoff.rich@btinternet.com wrote in
news:1151844259.643087.56490@v61g2000cwv.googlegro ups.com:

>
> One thing I've noticed lately - is that the idle speed does not seem
> to be increasing when the air con is on - it should I think kick up to
> 900 from 800.



No, should stay the same. The idle-up apparatus is desighed to keep the
idle from dropping and staying dropped.


> I had a recent problem with the speed sensor not reading, giving me a
> 17 fault code - but since splitting the connector and reconnecting its
> been ok - but I havn't re set the ecu. Might that be the cause ?



No. A bad VSS usually gives funny transmission behavior and a wonky speedo.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
water leak under 2003 Honda Accord pleaseexplaintome@yahoo.com Honda 2 12 11 Dec 2006 10:03 am
1996 Honda Accord - Water Leak Under Dash frederick Honda 2 6 12 May 2006 04:23 pm
HELP: accord 97's water leak on driver's floor boyz Honda 3 2 03 Nov 2004 01:57 am
Accord (87) Water Leak nr front door Graham_S Honda 3 5 02 Nov 2004 01:13 pm
Re: 97 Accord Water Leak Thourgh Door boyz Honda 3 0 02 Nov 2004 01:08 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.