Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 3

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 15 Feb 2015, 08:54 pm
John M.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 2005 Element seriously dim lowbeam headlights

Hi,

It's been a long time since I've posted in here and it seems really
dead but I'll give it a shot anyways. This is my first stop and I'll
probably be posting in some online forums still to be found by me but
any input here will not go unnoticed.

So:

Around a month ago I replaced my passenger side headlight with one
from NAPA. I bought the car used at 83K miles so I don't know if it
was OEM or not. One evening about two weeks ago I noticed that my
passenger side low beam was really dim (as if the battery was just
about gone). I carried on driving for a bit and it was back to
normal. This happened a few more times and at least once was
“corrected” by restarting the car. It happened yet again so while it
was misbehaving and suspecting it might be a faulty headlight I
switched the L and R headlights. The passenger side was still the
problem. A little later and it was both sides. I tried cleaning the
sockets a bit (still gonna attempt that with the proper cleaner) and
at least got it back to the driver's side working. Later, I came to a
4-way stop and flashed my brights to say okay to somebody and now I've
lost both sides. If I put on my high beams just the passenger side
works. Also, all the time that the lights are misbehaving the dash
high-beam indicator is on faintly. I've still got some tinkering to
do but was wondering if anyone has any ideas. I've come across the
ELD as a possible culprit but this amount of dimming seems a bit
severe to me (but maybe not?).

Thanks,

John M.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 17 Feb 2015, 05:35 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2005 Element seriously dim lowbeam headlights

John M. <jcm1139TRASH@gmail.com> wrote in
news:bnm2eahsh988qkogg67gg2iglropsnv3r8@4ax.com:

>
> Around a month ago I replaced my passenger side headlight with one
> from NAPA. I bought the car used at 83K miles so I don't know if it
> was OEM or not.




BULB or the entire assembly?

Either way, if it's from NAPA, it's aftermarket.



> One evening about two weeks ago I noticed that my
> passenger side low beam was really dim (as if the battery was just
> about gone). I carried on driving for a bit and it was back to
> normal. This happened a few more times and at least once was
> “corrected” by restarting the car. It happened yet again so while it
> was misbehaving and suspecting it might be a faulty headlight I
> switched the L and R headlights. The passenger side was still the
> problem.




So you swapped the BULBS and the problem did not change.



> A little later and it was both sides. I tried cleaning the
> sockets a bit (still gonna attempt that with the proper cleaner) and
> at least got it back to the driver's side working.




Both sides LOW beam, I'm guessing...


> Later, I came to a
> 4-way stop and flashed my brights to say okay to somebody and now I've
> lost both sides. If I put on my high beams just the passenger side
> works.




I'm really confused now. Are BOTH the HIGH and LOW beams a problem now?

You're going to need to be a bit more precise about what works and what
doesn't, and when.

Bullet-point format would be best when you clarify the problems, rather
than one long run-on paragraph that's hard to parse.



> Also, all the time that the lights are misbehaving the dash
> high-beam indicator is on faintly. I've still got some tinkering to
> do but was wondering if anyone has any ideas. I've come across the
> ELD as a possible culprit but this amount of dimming seems a bit
> severe to me (but maybe not?).
>




Does this vehicle have Daytime Running Lights (DRLs)? If so, are they
aftermarket or OEM? What country are you in?


--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 24 Feb 2015, 06:54 pm
Stewart
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2005 Element seriously dim lowbeam headlights


"Tegger" <invalid@example.org> wrote in message
news:XnsA44442FDE37C9tegger@208.90.168.18...
> John M. <jcm1139TRASH@gmail.com> wrote in
> news:bnm2eahsh988qkogg67gg2iglropsnv3r8@4ax.com:
>
>>
>> Around a month ago I replaced my passenger side headlight with one
>> from NAPA. I bought the car used at 83K miles so I don't know if it
>> was OEM or not.

>
>
>
> BULB or the entire assembly?
>
> Either way, if it's from NAPA, it's aftermarket.


Most likely the bulb was changed. It's a lot more work to change the
headlight itself! I've had good luck using Sylvania 9006 bulbs for my
headlights in my 04 accord. Not sure what is used for OEM, but most any bulb
should work fine.

But from what is described below it sounds like he has some electrical
issues that will need to be looked into, as he has some weird stuff
happening.

>
>
>
>> One evening about two weeks ago I noticed that my
>> passenger side low beam was really dim (as if the battery was just
>> about gone). I carried on driving for a bit and it was back to
>> normal. This happened a few more times and at least once was
>> "corrected" by restarting the car. It happened yet again so while it
>> was misbehaving and suspecting it might be a faulty headlight I
>> switched the L and R headlights. The passenger side was still the
>> problem.

>
>
>
> So you swapped the BULBS and the problem did not change.
>
>
>
>> A little later and it was both sides. I tried cleaning the
>> sockets a bit (still gonna attempt that with the proper cleaner) and
>> at least got it back to the driver's side working.

>
>
>
> Both sides LOW beam, I'm guessing...
>
>
>> Later, I came to a
>> 4-way stop and flashed my brights to say okay to somebody and now I've
>> lost both sides. If I put on my high beams just the passenger side
>> works.

>
>
>
> I'm really confused now. Are BOTH the HIGH and LOW beams a problem now?
>
> You're going to need to be a bit more precise about what works and what
> doesn't, and when.
>
> Bullet-point format would be best when you clarify the problems, rather
> than one long run-on paragraph that's hard to parse.
>
>
>
>> Also, all the time that the lights are misbehaving the dash
>> high-beam indicator is on faintly. I've still got some tinkering to
>> do but was wondering if anyone has any ideas. I've come across the
>> ELD as a possible culprit but this amount of dimming seems a bit
>> severe to me (but maybe not?).
>>

>
>
>
> Does this vehicle have Daytime Running Lights (DRLs)? If so, are they
> aftermarket or OEM? What country are you in?
>
>
> --
> Tegger




---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
http://www.avast.com

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Headlights flicker on 2005 Accord timmer Honda Technical 2 02 Jun 2010 04:19 pm
2006 accord lowbeam light replacement putnam888 Honda Technical 0 16 Feb 2008 09:07 am
Are their Xenon headlights that fit 2005 accord? jebsundgren Honda Technical 4 15 Aug 2007 03:12 pm
Accord 2005 hybrid headlights Art Honda 3 26 04 Sep 2006 01:22 pm
2005 Pilot headlights Larry J. Honda 2 19 02 Mar 2005 08:35 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.