Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 3

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 18 Feb 2004, 11:47 am
Jawshhh20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 97 Accord "Hunting" Automatic

OK Guys, I've posted some replies to a few things in here, now I need your
help. Here's my story: July 03 I bought a 97 Accord SE with 68,000 miles on it,
in IMMACULATE condition. Lately, whenever I slow down to make a corner at an
intersection (or slow to let a car in front of me turn), it seems to "slip"
when I go to accelerate. When I hit the gas it will tach up to about 4,000 RPM
then catch. My local dealer first told me it was my driving habits. He quickly
retracted that comment after my response to it. A few days later, he tells me
the transmission is built to "hunt" for a gear when accelerating. Well today I
read on epinions.com that the transmissions have "smart logic" to PREVENT
hunting, and it's supposed to "learn" your driving habits and adjust it
accordingly. So I called my dealer yet AGAIN and told him what I just found
out. He then suggested I disconnect the battery to "reset" the computer (and
everything ELSE in my car...). SO I am going to do this when I get off work and
see if it helps. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Thanks in advance...

Josh

J Hebert
jawshhh20@aol.com
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 18 Feb 2004, 03:04 pm
'Curly Q. Links'
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 97 Accord "Hunting" Automatic

Jawshhh20 wrote:
> OK Guys, I've posted some replies to a few things in here, now I need your
> help. Here's my story: July 03 I bought a 97 Accord SE with 68,000 miles on it,
> in IMMACULATE condition. Lately, whenever I slow down to make a corner at an
> intersection (or slow to let a car in front of me turn), it seems to "slip"
> when I go to accelerate. When I hit the gas it will tach up to about 4,000 RPM
> then catch. My local dealer first told me it was my driving habits. He quickly
> retracted that comment after my response to it. A few days later, he tells me
> the transmission is built to "hunt" for a gear when accelerating. Well today I
> read on epinions.com that the transmissions have "smart logic" to PREVENT
> hunting, and it's supposed to "learn" your driving habits and adjust it
> accordingly. So I called my dealer yet AGAIN and told him what I just found
> out. He then suggested I disconnect the battery to "reset" the computer (and
> everything ELSE in my car...). SO I am going to do this when I get off work and
> see if it helps. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Thanks in advance...
>
> Josh
>
> J Hebert
> jawshhh20@aol.com


===================

Most obvious questions that come to mind:

1. Have you changed the tranny fluid (I assume the previous owner didn't
or you would have mentioned it)?

2. Do you know the security code for your radio (if it's anti-theft)?

'Curly'





--

To REPLY: If there are a couple of underscores in my return address,
you must remove them to reply directly . . . . . . Thanks.

Regarding stage performances: When everyone else has finished playing,
you should not play any notes you have left over. -

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 18 Feb 2004, 04:30 pm
He Hate Retards
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 97 Accord "Hunting" Automatic

That's the beauty of Honda transmission.

I remember my brand-spanking-new Acura doing the same exact thing, while
driving off the dealer lot. Never did get it fixed, just learned not to
accelerate too hard. Even my Lexus does it once in awhile.







How to turn off 'Maintenance Required" light:

1. Hold trip/reset button on dash
2. Turn key to "ON" or start engine
3. Hold button til light goes out

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 19 Feb 2004, 07:21 am
Jawshhh20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 97 Accord "Hunting" Automatic

I brought it in yesterday and he disconnected the battery and drained the
capacitors. I dont know if this fixed it or not, but I will know soon.

>Most obvious questions that come to mind:
>
>1. Have you changed the tranny fluid (I assume the previous owner didn't
>or you would have mentioned it)?


Yes I had it changed about 2 weeks ago.


>2. Do you know the security code for your radio (if it's anti-theft)?


Yes I still have the little card that came with the car.
J Hebert
jawshhh20@aol.com
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 22 Feb 2004, 09:07 pm
Crunchy Cookie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 97 Accord "Hunting" Automatic

"Jawshhh20" <jawshhh20@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20040218124713.12710.00002447@mb-m29.aol.com...
> OK Guys, I've posted some replies to a few things in here, now I need your
> help. Here's my story: July 03 I bought a 97 Accord SE with 68,000 miles on

it,
> in IMMACULATE condition. Lately, whenever I slow down to make a corner at an
> intersection (or slow to let a car in front of me turn), it seems to "slip"
> when I go to accelerate. When I hit the gas it will tach up to about 4,000 RPM
> then catch. My local dealer first told me it was my driving habits. He quickly
> retracted that comment after my response to it. A few days later, he tells me
> the transmission is built to "hunt" for a gear when accelerating. Well today I
> read on epinions.com that the transmissions have "smart logic" to PREVENT
> hunting, and it's supposed to "learn" your driving habits and adjust it
> accordingly. So I called my dealer yet AGAIN and told him what I just found
> out. He then suggested I disconnect the battery to "reset" the computer (and
> everything ELSE in my car...). SO I am going to do this when I get off work

and
> see if it helps. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Thanks in advance...
>
> Josh
> J Hebert
> jawshhh20@aol.com


It's sure nice to know when someone hates Honda automatics as much as I do.
Your transmission isn't as much "slipping" as much as just operating normally as
the dumbass unit it was programmed to be. Here's how Honda automatics work: if
you let go of the gas, then reapply, it pauses for a moment and then gives you a
jerky downshift, and then shifts back up. It treats every request for
acceleration as some kind of drag race. Most Mazdas, Fords, and Chryslers do
the same thing. Next time, get a Toyota or a Nissan.
When the Accord turned 27 last year, does anyone know if they finally fixed
this? One thing nice about the Accord is its being the only 4-cylinder model
offered with a 5-speed automatic. Unless that just means one more gear to trip
on while shifting in the wrong direction...


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 23 Feb 2004, 08:34 am
Jawshhh20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 97 Accord "Hunting" Automatic

>> OK Guys, I've posted some replies to a few things in here, now I need your
>> help. Here's my story: July 03 I bought a 97 Accord SE with 68,000 miles on

>it,
>> in IMMACULATE condition. Lately, whenever I slow down to make a corner at

>an
>> intersection (or slow to let a car in front of me turn), it seems to "slip"
>> when I go to accelerate. When I hit the gas it will tach up to about 4,000

>RPM
>> then catch. My local dealer first told me it was my driving habits. He

>quickly
>> retracted that comment after my response to it. A few days later, he tells

>me
>> the transmission is built to "hunt" for a gear when accelerating. Well

>today I
>> read on epinions.com that the transmissions have "smart logic" to PREVENT
>> hunting, and it's supposed to "learn" your driving habits and adjust it
>> accordingly. So I called my dealer yet AGAIN and told him what I just found
>> out. He then suggested I disconnect the battery to "reset" the computer

>(and
>> everything ELSE in my car...). SO I am going to do this when I get off work

>and
>> see if it helps. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Thanks in

>advance...
>>
>> Josh
>> J Hebert
>> jawshhh20@aol.com

>
>It's sure nice to know when someone hates Honda automatics as much as I do.
>Your transmission isn't as much "slipping" as much as just operating normally
>as
>the dumbass unit it was programmed to be. Here's how Honda automatics work:
>if
>you let go of the gas, then reapply, it pauses for a moment and then gives
>you a
>jerky downshift, and then shifts back up. It treats every request for
>acceleration as some kind of drag race. Most Mazdas, Fords, and Chryslers do
>the same thing. Next time, get a Toyota or a Nissan.
>When the Accord turned 27 last year, does anyone know if they finally fixed
>this? One thing nice about the Accord is its being the only 4-cylinder model
>offered with a 5-speed automatic. Unless that just means one more gear to
>trip
>on while shifting in the wrong direction...
>


Thanks for the reply..my next car will still be a Honda, but leaning toward the
manual vs the automatic. The computer reset did no good (just as I thought) and
it still continues....
J Hebert
jawshhh20@aol.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Accord 1999 - battery "tested" 209 CCA, "Replace!"? Why? bwooster47@gmail.com Honda 3 11 08 Mar 2007 10:42 pm
">"">>>><meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="0;url=http://www.YapaYHaCK.OrG/Hacked.htm SaNaLKorSaN Acura 0 17 Nov 2006 06:28 am
92' Accord 5spd has "knocking"-"cluncking" sound on drivers sidewhen starting out FWD and BKWD phil Honda 2 1 12 Feb 2005 10:29 am
92 Accord LX 5spd Intermittent start..replaced starter and now stillget the "CLICK" "CLICK" when turning key. It eventually starts ..Anythingspecial to check ? phil Honda 2 5 24 Dec 2004 10:09 pm
1997 Honda CRV- make "U" turn which cause "woooh" sound peter896 Honda 2 1 22 Aug 2004 02:13 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.