Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 3

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 17 Feb 2004, 10:11 pm
ron vandebelt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 89 accord auto.. shifter cable linkage

ok so the shifter cable somehow came off in the tranny i can see where it
hooks back up but cant get hooked through that little hole any
ideas????????? i really dont want to drop the tranny to do it but if need be
i will any help would be great thanks Ron


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 17 Feb 2004, 11:16 pm
Jafir Elkurd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 89 accord auto.. shifter cable linkage

If you are talking about the cable that goes from the shift lever in the
console....

There should be a sheet metal inspection cover, next to the oil pan, that
you have to remove. There is also an aluminum piece that bolts around the
shift cable with one big bolt. Behind the inspection cover should be the
shift lever, and the cable should slide into the lever, with a keeper (and a
bushing) that is all held together with a long skinny cotter pin. I've
never seen on of these cables come loose unless it was broken or not
installed probably (like after a major repair).

Probably none of that makes any sense without some pictures.


If you are talking about the throttle pressure cable.... the lever has a
slot it in... lift the lever up so you have some slack to work with, and
then just slide the cable through the slot. there should be a little ball
on the end of the cable.... (I don't think I've ever seen one of these
cables just come loose unless it was broken)

"ron vandebelt" <ron.vandebelt@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:YJAYb.6178$Cd6.461938@news20.bellglobal.com.. .
> ok so the shifter cable somehow came off in the tranny i can see where it
> hooks back up but cant get hooked through that little hole any
> ideas????????? i really dont want to drop the tranny to do it but if need

be
> i will any help would be great thanks Ron
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 18 Feb 2004, 02:03 am
ron vandebelt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 89 accord auto.. shifter cable linkage

hey Jafir thanks for the quick reply .... yes its the one that goes from the
console to the tranny and i have had a look at it where it does go in .. i
had the plate that holds the cable housing to the bell housing off and
looked and that cotter type pin is about half out and it spread the little
bracket that holds the pin... the tranny has never been out of the car since
i've owned it this whole deal was a shock to me because i,ve put about 50k
on the car since i bought it 2 years ago!!!! So are you sayin i can get at
it through the inspection cover??? is the torqe or the flex plate in the way
or are they no problem it sure would be nice if that was the case ....
because my shop is all tied up with my truck in the middle of a four link
setup and this this is gonna be a cold job outside here in the great white
north .......thanks again Ron
"Jafir Elkurd" <jafir@nospam.no.spam.hotpop.com> wrote in message
news:1035pp08dq7i0ae@corp.supernews.com...
> If you are talking about the cable that goes from the shift lever in the
> console....
>
> There should be a sheet metal inspection cover, next to the oil pan, that
> you have to remove. There is also an aluminum piece that bolts around the
> shift cable with one big bolt. Behind the inspection cover should be the
> shift lever, and the cable should slide into the lever, with a keeper (and

a
> bushing) that is all held together with a long skinny cotter pin. I've
> never seen on of these cables come loose unless it was broken or not
> installed probably (like after a major repair).
>
> Probably none of that makes any sense without some pictures.
>
>
> If you are talking about the throttle pressure cable.... the lever has a
> slot it in... lift the lever up so you have some slack to work with, and
> then just slide the cable through the slot. there should be a little ball
> on the end of the cable.... (I don't think I've ever seen one of these
> cables just come loose unless it was broken)
>
> "ron vandebelt" <ron.vandebelt@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> news:YJAYb.6178$Cd6.461938@news20.bellglobal.com.. .
> > ok so the shifter cable somehow came off in the tranny i can see where

it
> > hooks back up but cant get hooked through that little hole any
> > ideas????????? i really dont want to drop the tranny to do it but if

need
> be
> > i will any help would be great thanks Ron
> >
> >

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 18 Feb 2004, 09:03 am
Jafir Elkurd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 89 accord auto.. shifter cable linkage

Well, the torque converter and flex plate will be there... and room will be
tight, but it can be done with some small fingers and some nice need nose
pliers. That is the way I have always removed the transmission on a
honda.... the service manual tells you to disconnect the cable at the
console.

"ron vandebelt" <ron.vandebelt@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:K7EYb.6473$d34.975900@news20.bellglobal.com.. .
> hey Jafir thanks for the quick reply .... yes its the one that goes from

the
> console to the tranny and i have had a look at it where it does go in .. i
> had the plate that holds the cable housing to the bell housing off and
> looked and that cotter type pin is about half out and it spread the little
> bracket that holds the pin... the tranny has never been out of the car

since
> i've owned it this whole deal was a shock to me because i,ve put about 50k
> on the car since i bought it 2 years ago!!!! So are you sayin i can get at
> it through the inspection cover??? is the torqe or the flex plate in the

way
> or are they no problem it sure would be nice if that was the case ....
> because my shop is all tied up with my truck in the middle of a four link
> setup and this this is gonna be a cold job outside here in the great white
> north .......thanks again Ron
> "Jafir Elkurd" <jafir@nospam.no.spam.hotpop.com> wrote in message
> news:1035pp08dq7i0ae@corp.supernews.com...
> > If you are talking about the cable that goes from the shift lever in the
> > console....
> >
> > There should be a sheet metal inspection cover, next to the oil pan,

that
> > you have to remove. There is also an aluminum piece that bolts around

the
> > shift cable with one big bolt. Behind the inspection cover should be

the
> > shift lever, and the cable should slide into the lever, with a keeper

(and
> a
> > bushing) that is all held together with a long skinny cotter pin. I've
> > never seen on of these cables come loose unless it was broken or not
> > installed probably (like after a major repair).
> >
> > Probably none of that makes any sense without some pictures.
> >
> >
> > If you are talking about the throttle pressure cable.... the lever has a
> > slot it in... lift the lever up so you have some slack to work with, and
> > then just slide the cable through the slot. there should be a little

ball
> > on the end of the cable.... (I don't think I've ever seen one of these
> > cables just come loose unless it was broken)
> >
> > "ron vandebelt" <ron.vandebelt@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > news:YJAYb.6178$Cd6.461938@news20.bellglobal.com.. .
> > > ok so the shifter cable somehow came off in the tranny i can see where

> it
> > > hooks back up but cant get hooked through that little hole any
> > > ideas????????? i really dont want to drop the tranny to do it but if

> need
> > be
> > > i will any help would be great thanks Ron
> > >
> > >

> >
> >

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 18 Feb 2004, 07:53 pm
ron vandebelt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 89 accord auto.. shifter cable linkage

hey : Jafir thanks for the help .. i got it done today little cold on the
fingers and i learned a few things like fingers freeze in about half the
time it takes for the impact gun too and the longer ya lay in a snow bank
the wetter ya get.. and damn thats a tight spot for my paws ...... anyways
thanks again Ron
"Jafir Elkurd" <jafir@nospam.no.spam.hotpop.com> wrote in message
news:1036s61sj94qb8c@corp.supernews.com...
> Well, the torque converter and flex plate will be there... and room will

be
> tight, but it can be done with some small fingers and some nice need nose
> pliers. That is the way I have always removed the transmission on a
> honda.... the service manual tells you to disconnect the cable at the
> console.
>
> "ron vandebelt" <ron.vandebelt@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> news:K7EYb.6473$d34.975900@news20.bellglobal.com.. .
> > hey Jafir thanks for the quick reply .... yes its the one that goes from

> the
> > console to the tranny and i have had a look at it where it does go in ..

i
> > had the plate that holds the cable housing to the bell housing off and
> > looked and that cotter type pin is about half out and it spread the

little
> > bracket that holds the pin... the tranny has never been out of the car

> since
> > i've owned it this whole deal was a shock to me because i,ve put about

50k
> > on the car since i bought it 2 years ago!!!! So are you sayin i can get

at
> > it through the inspection cover??? is the torqe or the flex plate in the

> way
> > or are they no problem it sure would be nice if that was the case ....
> > because my shop is all tied up with my truck in the middle of a four

link
> > setup and this this is gonna be a cold job outside here in the great

white
> > north .......thanks again Ron
> > "Jafir Elkurd" <jafir@nospam.no.spam.hotpop.com> wrote in message
> > news:1035pp08dq7i0ae@corp.supernews.com...
> > > If you are talking about the cable that goes from the shift lever in

the
> > > console....
> > >
> > > There should be a sheet metal inspection cover, next to the oil pan,

> that
> > > you have to remove. There is also an aluminum piece that bolts around

> the
> > > shift cable with one big bolt. Behind the inspection cover should be

> the
> > > shift lever, and the cable should slide into the lever, with a keeper

> (and
> > a
> > > bushing) that is all held together with a long skinny cotter pin.

I've
> > > never seen on of these cables come loose unless it was broken or not
> > > installed probably (like after a major repair).
> > >
> > > Probably none of that makes any sense without some pictures.
> > >
> > >
> > > If you are talking about the throttle pressure cable.... the lever has

a
> > > slot it in... lift the lever up so you have some slack to work with,

and
> > > then just slide the cable through the slot. there should be a little

> ball
> > > on the end of the cable.... (I don't think I've ever seen one of

these
> > > cables just come loose unless it was broken)
> > >
> > > "ron vandebelt" <ron.vandebelt@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > > news:YJAYb.6178$Cd6.461938@news20.bellglobal.com.. .
> > > > ok so the shifter cable somehow came off in the tranny i can see

where
> > it
> > > > hooks back up but cant get hooked through that little hole any
> > > > ideas????????? i really dont want to drop the tranny to do it but if

> > need
> > > be
> > > > i will any help would be great thanks Ron
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >

> >
> >

>
>



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
90-93 accord automatic shifter cable replacement step by step Kai Honda 3 3 13 Jun 2014 10:19 am
92 accord auto trans shifter stuck jasguild@hotmail.com Honda 3 1 13 Aug 2006 06:40 pm
86 accord shift linkage cable Daniel Garrison Honda 2 0 14 Aug 2004 12:00 am
92 Accord shifter cable replacement step by step Kai Honda 3 2 12 Aug 2004 06:55 pm
Accord 1990 Auto Shifter problem. STS Honda 2 1 18 Jul 2004 07:46 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.