Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 3

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02 Oct 2011, 07:11 pm
ndccpf1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 04 Civic EX Automatic Speedo Not Working

I know VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is on the tranny but for this year
Civic how accessable and where ? Is there a quick way to test the
sensor / output to determine it is bad ?
(same car that is overheating and CEL on).

Oh and the typical Honda failure of the hood-release pull knob
broken !
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02 Oct 2011, 08:34 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 04 Civic EX Automatic Speedo Not Working

ndccpf1 <ndccpf1@gmail.com> wrote in news:83ca8821-0538-4099-bd01-
29ecd553a435@j10g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

> I know VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is on the tranny



It's at the rear of the instrument cluster, in the dashboard.


> but for this year
> Civic how accessable and where ? Is there a quick way to test the
> sensor / output to determine it is bad ?
> (same car that is overheating and CEL on).



Have you considered that the concurrent presence of several unrelated DTCs
may indicate some other sort of problem?



--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02 Oct 2011, 08:42 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 04 Civic EX Automatic Speedo Not Working

On 10/02/2011 06:34 PM, Tegger wrote:
> ndccpf1<ndccpf1@gmail.com> wrote in news:83ca8821-0538-4099-bd01-
> 29ecd553a435@j10g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:
>
>> I know VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is on the tranny

>
>
> It's at the rear of the instrument cluster, in the dashboard.


only on cable driven speedos. the 04 speedo is all electronic, not
cable, and the sensor is on the transmission.


>
>
>> but for this year
>> Civic how accessable and where ? Is there a quick way to test the
>> sensor / output to determine it is bad ?
>> (same car that is overheating and CEL on).

>
>
> Have you considered that the concurrent presence of several unrelated DTCs
> may indicate some other sort of problem?
>
>
>



--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02 Oct 2011, 09:55 pm
ndccpf1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 04 Civic EX Automatic Speedo Not Working

On Oct 2, 9:34*pm, Tegger <inva...@example.com> wrote:
> ndccpf1 <ndcc...@gmail.com> wrote in news:83ca8821-0538-4099-bd01-
> 29ecd553a...@j10g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:
>
> > I know VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is on the tranny

>
> It's at the rear of the instrument cluster, in the dashboard.
>
> > but for this year
> > Civic how accessable and where ? Is there a quick way to test the
> > sensor / output to determine it is bad ?
> > (same car that is overheating and CEL on).

>
> Have you considered that the concurrent presence of several unrelated DTCs
> may indicate some other sort of problem?
>
> --
> Tegger


The CEL currently is the O2 sensor which I will replace Saturday. I
had a VSS go bad on my 1989 Accord LXI
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02 Oct 2011, 09:57 pm
ndccpf1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 04 Civic EX Automatic Speedo Not Working

On Oct 2, 9:42*pm, jim beam <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> On 10/02/2011 06:34 PM, Tegger wrote:
>
> > ndccpf1<ndcc...@gmail.com> *wrote in news:83ca8821-0538-4099-bd01-
> > 29ecd553a...@j10g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

>
> >> I know VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is on the tranny

>
> > It's at the rear of the instrument cluster, in the dashboard.

>
> only on cable driven speedos. *the 04 speedo is all electronic, not
> cable, and the sensor is on the transmission.
>
>
>
> >> but for this year
> >> Civic how accessable and where ? Is there a quick way to test the
> >> sensor / output to determine it is bad ?
> >> (same car that is overheating and CEL on).

>
> > Have you considered that the concurrent presence of several unrelated DTCs
> > may indicate some other sort of problem?

>
> --
> nomina rutrum rutrum


Can I reach the sensor by removing the battery ? or the air intake
"plumbing" / Or do I need to access from the bottom / back firewall
sside ?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02 Oct 2011, 10:40 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 04 Civic EX Automatic Speedo Not Working

On 10/02/2011 07:57 PM, ndccpf1 wrote:
> On Oct 2, 9:42�pm, jim beam<m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>> On 10/02/2011 06:34 PM, Tegger wrote:
>>
>>> ndccpf1<ndcc...@gmail.com> �wrote in news:83ca8821-0538-4099-bd01-
>>> 29ecd553a...@j10g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

>>
>>>> I know VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is on the tranny

>>
>>> It's at the rear of the instrument cluster, in the dashboard.

>>
>> only on cable driven speedos. �the 04 speedo is all electronic, not
>> cable, and the sensor is on the transmission.
>>
>>
>>
>>>> but for this year
>>>> Civic how accessable and where ? Is there a quick way to test the
>>>> sensor / output to determine it is bad ?
>>>> (same car that is overheating and CEL on).

>>
>>> Have you considered that the concurrent presence of several unrelated DTCs
>>> may indicate some other sort of problem?

>>
>> --
>> nomina rutrum rutrum

>
> Can I reach the sensor by removing the battery ? or the air intake
> "plumbing" / Or do I need to access from the bottom / back firewall
> sside ?


usually on the firewall side. can reach from on top or underneath. do
you have the proper shop manual for this vehicle? if not, it's worth
investing in one. the official source is helm.com, but i'm not entirely
happy with them at present because they charged me full price for an
incomplete photocopy of a manual that was missing the wiring diagrams i
bought it for. they refused to give me a refund or take it back.

or you can go online at alldata.

you'll need this to confirm the testing process for the vss. usually
it's just a reed switch and you can see it click on and off with an ohm
meter as you rotate the diff.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
97' Honda civic ex headlights pulsing speedo stopped working and check engine light on. replaced... Johnny Spruiell Honda Technical 2 12 Aug 2011 09:01 pm
What would cause the trip meter to stop working on my 1996 Honda Accord.?The speedo... joker12 Honda Technical 1 16 Aug 2007 04:45 am
What would cause the trip meter to stop working on my 1996 Honda Accord.?The speedo continues joker12 Honda Technical 0 16 Aug 2007 04:43 am
Anybody ever have their tach and speedo stop working? Nobody Honda 3 5 29 Jul 2005 03:32 pm
Anybody ever have their tach and speedo stop working? Nobody Honda 2 3 29 Jul 2005 03:32 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.