Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 22 May 2005, 04:35 pm
coopdog696
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 1991 honda civic

I have a 1991 honda civic dx. I recently changed my oil. I have
always changed my oil in this car. About a week later I pulled one of
my spark plug wire from the spark plug to see if it was dirty.
Everything looked good. Two days later my car started missing. I
figured I broke a spark plug wire so I bought four new spark plugs and
wires and replace the old. While replacing the spark plugs I notice
oil was on my spark plugs and some oil on the wires. I am not buring
oil. My car is missing when I first give it gas and then it smooths
out. That happens in every gear. 1 through 5 can some help me out


--
Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Honda-1991...ict121270.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=589720
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 22 May 2005, 07:13 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 honda civic

coopdog696 wrote:
> I have a 1991 honda civic dx. I recently changed my oil. I have
> always changed my oil in this car. About a week later I pulled one of
> my spark plug wire from the spark plug to see if it was dirty.
> Everything looked good. Two days later my car started missing. I
> figured I broke a spark plug wire so I bought four new spark plugs and
> wires and replace the old. While replacing the spark plugs I notice
> oil was on my spark plugs and some oil on the wires. I am not buring
> oil. My car is missing when I first give it gas and then it smooths
> out. That happens in every gear. 1 through 5 can some help me out


what mileage?

oil on the plug lead is because a seal is leaking. cheap to replace and
not the cause of the misfire.

first, check for ecu codes. if nothing, check the distributor cap &
rotor arm. other than that, the "misfire like" symptoms list is long &
includes things like egr valve, thermostat, injectors fouling, pcv
valve, etc. try the first two listed then report back.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 23 May 2005, 10:36 am
coopdog696
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Re: 1991 honda civic

"jim beam1" wrote:
> coopdog696 wrote:
> > I have a 1991 honda civic dx. I recently changed my oil. I

> have
> > always changed my oil in this car. About a week later I

> pulled one of
> > my spark plug wire from the spark plug to see if it was

> dirty.
> > Everything looked good. Two days later my car started

> missing. I
> > figured I broke a spark plug wire so I bought four new spark

> plugs and
> > wires and replace the old. While replacing the spark plugs

> I notice
> > oil was on my spark plugs and some oil on the wires. I am

> not buring
> > oil. My car is missing when I first give it gas and then it

> smooths
> > out. That happens in every gear. 1 through 5 can some help

> me out
>
> what mileage?
>
> oil on the plug lead is because a seal is leaking. cheap to
> replace and
> not the cause of the misfire.
>
> first, check for ecu codes. if nothing, check the distributor
> cap &
> rotor arm. other than that, the "misfire like" symptoms list
> is long &
> includes things like egr valve, thermostat, injectors fouling,
> pcv
> valve, etc. try the first two listed then report back.


The milage on the car is 147,000. I was reading my honda automotive
repair manual. It said check the gapping of my spark plugs. I
compared the old spark plugs to the ones I put in today. The plug gap
is suppose to be 1.1 mm. The plugs I bought today are about .5mm
Bosch platinum could that be causing it to misfire. I already took
out the new ones and compared them to the old ones. I know if I left
them in there a while my engine would get really hot. It was already
getting hot earlier that is when I started reading about the gap of
the spark plug

--
Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Honda-1991...ict121270.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=589946
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 23 May 2005, 10:36 am
coopdog696
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Re: 1991 honda civic

"coopdog696" wrote:
> The milage on the car is 147,000. I was reading my honda
> automotive repair manual. It said check the gapping of my
> spark plugs. I compared the old spark plugs to the ones I put
> in today. The plug gap is suppose to be 1.1 mm. The plugs I
> bought today are about .5mm Bosch platinum could that be
> causing it to misfire. I already took out the new ones and
> compared them to the old ones. I know if I left them in there
> a while my engine would get really hot. It was already
> getting hot earlier that is when I started reading about the
> gap of the spark plug


What seal was you talking about that could be leaking. After I took
the new plugs out there was no oil on them this time. Everything
looked good but if it is a cheap and easy fix I would do that also
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 25 May 2005, 08:13 am
hondaman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Re: 1991 honda civic

i wouldnt recommend bosch plugs. they're not OEM Honda plugs. you should
look for NGK or Denso plugs for your Civic. There is a difference. and make
sure your plug wires are a minimum of 8mm thick not the cheapo 7mm ones.
that definetly is important.


-jeff
"coopdog696" <DoNotEmail@AutoForumz.com> wrote in message
news:1_589947_ee94f472d8f8d56090452b7dfdd2c53f@aut oforumz.com...
> "coopdog696" wrote:
> > The milage on the car is 147,000. I was reading my honda
> > automotive repair manual. It said check the gapping of my
> > spark plugs. I compared the old spark plugs to the ones I put
> > in today. The plug gap is suppose to be 1.1 mm. The plugs I
> > bought today are about .5mm Bosch platinum could that be
> > causing it to misfire. I already took out the new ones and
> > compared them to the old ones. I know if I left them in there
> > a while my engine would get really hot. It was already
> > getting hot earlier that is when I started reading about the
> > gap of the spark plug

>
> What seal was you talking about that could be leaking. After I took
> the new plugs out there was no oil on them this time. Everything
> looked good but if it is a cheap and easy fix I would do that also



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 25 May 2005, 08:22 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 honda civic

coopdog696 wrote:
> "coopdog696" wrote:
> > The milage on the car is 147,000. I was reading my honda
> > automotive repair manual. It said check the gapping of my
> > spark plugs. I compared the old spark plugs to the ones I put
> > in today. The plug gap is suppose to be 1.1 mm. The plugs I
> > bought today are about .5mm Bosch platinum could that be
> > causing it to misfire. I already took out the new ones and
> > compared them to the old ones. I know if I left them in there
> > a while my engine would get really hot. It was already
> > getting hot earlier that is when I started reading about the
> > gap of the spark plug

>
> What seal was you talking about that could be leaking. After I took
> the new plugs out there was no oil on them this time. Everything
> looked good but if it is a cheap and easy fix I would do that also


seals are a cheap easy fix. most auto repair places stock them because
they are a common failure.

regarding plugs, my experience with bosch is not good. one day they
work, the next, the car's deader than dead. as others say, stick with
denso or ngk. even the cheap plugs are better than bosch. it's not
like the civic has an access problem requiring the use of long life
plugs. i have iridiums in mine, but that's because i'm a geek.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 27 May 2005, 09:42 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 honda civic

"jim beam" <nospam@example.net> wrote in message
news:2uKdnQ8K06-c4QnfRVn-3Q@speakeasy.net...
> coopdog696 wrote:
>> "coopdog696" wrote:
>> > The milage on the car is 147,000. I was reading my honda
>> > automotive repair manual. It said check the gapping of my
>> > spark plugs. I compared the old spark plugs to the ones I put
>> > in today. The plug gap is suppose to be 1.1 mm. The plugs I
>> > bought today are about .5mm Bosch platinum could that be
>> > causing it to misfire. I already took out the new ones and
>> > compared them to the old ones. I know if I left them in there
>> > a while my engine would get really hot. It was already
>> > getting hot earlier that is when I started reading about the
>> > gap of the spark plug

>>
>> What seal was you talking about that could be leaking. After I took
>> the new plugs out there was no oil on them this time. Everything
>> looked good but if it is a cheap and easy fix I would do that also

>
> seals are a cheap easy fix. most auto repair places stock them because
> they are a common failure.
>
> regarding plugs, my experience with bosch is not good. one day they work,
> the next, the car's deader than dead. as others say, stick with denso or
> ngk. even the cheap plugs are better than bosch. it's not like the civic
> has an access problem requiring the use of long life plugs. i have
> iridiums in mine, but that's because i'm a geek.
>

I have had Champions short under load - I don't recommend them either.

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 27 May 2005, 10:52 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 honda civic

Michael Pardee wrote:
> "jim beam" <nospam@example.net> wrote in message
> news:2uKdnQ8K06-c4QnfRVn-3Q@speakeasy.net...
>
>>coopdog696 wrote:
>>
>>>"coopdog696" wrote:
>>> > The milage on the car is 147,000. I was reading my honda
>>> > automotive repair manual. It said check the gapping of my
>>> > spark plugs. I compared the old spark plugs to the ones I put
>>> > in today. The plug gap is suppose to be 1.1 mm. The plugs I
>>> > bought today are about .5mm Bosch platinum could that be
>>> > causing it to misfire. I already took out the new ones and
>>> > compared them to the old ones. I know if I left them in there
>>> > a while my engine would get really hot. It was already
>>> > getting hot earlier that is when I started reading about the
>>> > gap of the spark plug
>>>
>>>What seal was you talking about that could be leaking. After I took
>>>the new plugs out there was no oil on them this time. Everything
>>>looked good but if it is a cheap and easy fix I would do that also

>>
>>seals are a cheap easy fix. most auto repair places stock them because
>>they are a common failure.
>>
>>regarding plugs, my experience with bosch is not good. one day they work,
>>the next, the car's deader than dead. as others say, stick with denso or
>>ngk. even the cheap plugs are better than bosch. it's not like the civic
>>has an access problem requiring the use of long life plugs. i have
>>iridiums in mine, but that's because i'm a geek.
>>

>
> I have had Champions short under load - I don't recommend them either.
>
> Mike
>
>

yes, for these compact, high temp plugs, champions don't do too well,
but on the older style exposed plugs, champion were great in my
experience. never had a set flunk on me, unlike bosch which let me down
consistently.

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 28 May 2005, 01:27 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 honda civic

"jim beam" <nospam@example.net> wrote in message
news:AYOdndy9ysJodwrfRVn-1A@speakeasy.net...
> Michael Pardee wrote:
>> I have had Champions short under load - I don't recommend them either.
>>
>> Mike

> yes, for these compact, high temp plugs, champions don't do too well, but
> on the older style exposed plugs, champion were great in my experience.
> never had a set flunk on me, unlike bosch which let me down consistently.
>


I haven't tried any of the newer ones. I had one fail in my Lotus (Renault
engine) and in a Ford Maverick, both in the mid-70s. I haven't bought any
since. Each time they worked okay below maybe half throttle.

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06 Jun 2005, 04:35 am
coopdog696
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 honda civic

"coopdog696" wrote:
> I have a 1991 honda civic dx. I recently changed my oil. I
> have always changed my oil in this car. About a week later I
> pulled one of my spark plug wire from the spark plug to see if
> it was dirty. Everything looked good. Two days later my car
> started missing. I figured I broke a spark plug wire so I
> bought four new spark plugs and wires and replace the old.
> While replacing the spark plugs I notice oil was on my spark
> plugs and some oil on the wires. I am not buring oil. My car
> is missing when I first give it gas and then it smooths out.
> That happens in every gear. 1 through 5 can some help me
> ou[/list]


This is coopdog696 and I found the problems with my 1991 honda civic
dx. Well I actually took it to a repair shop. The guy who runs the
place ownes the same car and it is a street runner. Any for all you
to know while my car was puttering and not running properly was the
inginition coil was messed up. It is a very common error with these
cars. It only cost me $150 dollars. Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1991 honda civic dx Gregory Honda 2 10 07 Oct 2006 09:12 pm
1991 honda civic rudy9804 Honda 3 1 12 Sep 2005 06:55 am
FS>>Honda civic 1991 tekin Honda 2 5 06 Apr 2004 09:00 pm
1991 honda civic dx NJ W Honda 1 2 28 Sep 2003 10:43 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.