Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 20 May 2005, 12:05 pm
Larry J.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Honda AN600

Just thought some of you Honda owners would like to see this.

A shot of my Honda AN600, back in the early 70's. This vehicle was
one of the first 200 Honda cars ever imported into the USA. I bought
it at Honda of Santa Ana in California in late 1970 or early 71. It
was sold as a 1971 model year.

It had a 598 cc. motorcycle engine, top speed just over 80mph, better
downhill with a tailwind. It weighed about 1300 lbs., and cost about
a dollar a pound at the time.

There was no fanfare when these cars arrived in the US, they just
slowly began to appear on the roads. When I first started driving
it, some people refused to believe it was a Honda. "Honda doesn't
make cars!" was a common remark.

There's an unusual story involving how I first saw the car, but I'll
spare you, unless there's any interest.

http://members.cox.net/ljvideo/images/Honda_AN600.jpg


--
Larry J. - Remove spamtrap in ALLCAPS to e-mail

The United States is the greatest country in the world..!
Twenty-five million illegal aliens can't be wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 20 May 2005, 12:10 pm
Jack
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda AN600

Larry, I am interested in hearing the unusual story!

"Larry J." <usenet2@DE.LETE.THISljvideo.com> wrote in message
news:Xns965C66BF7CC6Clarrythefrog@68.6.19.6...
> Just thought some of you Honda owners would like to see this.
>
> A shot of my Honda AN600, back in the early 70's. This vehicle was
> one of the first 200 Honda cars ever imported into the USA. I bought
> it at Honda of Santa Ana in California in late 1970 or early 71. It
> was sold as a 1971 model year.
>
> It had a 598 cc. motorcycle engine, top speed just over 80mph, better
> downhill with a tailwind. It weighed about 1300 lbs., and cost about
> a dollar a pound at the time.
>
> There was no fanfare when these cars arrived in the US, they just
> slowly began to appear on the roads. When I first started driving
> it, some people refused to believe it was a Honda. "Honda doesn't
> make cars!" was a common remark.
>
> There's an unusual story involving how I first saw the car, but I'll
> spare you, unless there's any interest.
>
> http://members.cox.net/ljvideo/images/Honda_AN600.jpg
>
>
> --
> Larry J. - Remove spamtrap in ALLCAPS to e-mail
>
> The United States is the greatest country in the world..!
> Twenty-five million illegal aliens can't be wrong.



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 20 May 2005, 01:04 pm
Larry J.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda AN600

Waiving the right to remain silent, "Jack" <jdoe@hotmail.com> said:

> Larry, I am interested in hearing the unusual story!


Ah-ha... A victim...

Okay. Way back then, I was driving past a huge area at the Port of
Long Beach where Japanese cars were parked after being unloaded
from the cargo ships. At my distance, I noticed what apeared to be
a small field of Mini Coopers.

Too far away to be certain, I drove up to the fence, but still
couldn't get a close look. I saw a guard and asked him what was
parked there. He was able to check some manifest stickers on the
cars, and came back and told me that they were Hondas, and that a
number of them were consigned to Honda of Santa Ana, a well-known
motorcycle dealership.

A few days later, I went to the dealer and immediately became an
owner of one of the first 200 Honda cars ever imported into the US.

I kept the AN600 for about three years, and traded it for a 1974
Civic. I believe that the first year for the Civic was 1973, so I
was still an early adopter of Hondas.

I have not had another Honda until this year, when I got a 2005
Pilot.

A sidebar:

I was in the USMC at the time, stationed near Santa Ana. When I
drove the car on base, a couple of other officers who had been in
Japan told me that they had seen that model there, but it had a
chain drive. Before Honda could export to the US, they had to
design a more traditional automobile transmission, as the chain
would not be allowed here.

Honda's solution included a shift lever which hung off the
dashboard, with rather wonky linkage to the transmission. It was
quite sloppy and loose, but it got the job done.

The AN600 delivered between 40 and 50mpg.

--
Larry J. - Remove spamtrap in ALLCAPS to e-mail

The United States is the greatest country in the world..!
Twenty-five million illegal aliens can't be wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 20 May 2005, 01:21 pm
TeGGeR®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda AN600

"Larry J." <usenet2@DE.LETE.THISljvideo.com> wrote in
news:Xns965C66BF7CC6Clarrythefrog@68.6.19.6:


>
> There's an unusual story involving how I first saw the car, but I'll
> spare you, unless there's any interest.



Hey, it's the weekend. Time to shoot the shit. Let's hear it.


>
> http://members.cox.net/ljvideo/images/Honda_AN600.jpg



And here's a view from the front.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/honda600.jpg
Weren't those things air-cooled?


Another little historical tidbit: Apparently, the very first Civic ever
sold in Canada was sold by Dalt's Honda in Toronto in June 1973. Dalt's
later bought the car back from the buyer, and gave him/her/it (I forget)
another one. I'm told that this first Civic is still in their showroom, if
anyone wants to go look.
http://www.daltshonda.com/home.html

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 20 May 2005, 02:18 pm
Larry J.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda AN600

Waiving the right to remain silent, "TeGGeR®" <tegger@tegger.c0m>
said:

> "Larry J." <usenet2@DE.LETE.THISljvideo.com> wrote in
> news:Xns965C66BF7CC6Clarrythefrog@68.6.19.6:
>
>
>>
>> There's an unusual story involving how I first saw the car, but
>> I'll spare you, unless there's any interest.

>
>
> Hey, it's the weekend. Time to shoot the shit. Let's hear it.


It's posted now.

>>
>> http://members.cox.net/ljvideo/images/Honda_AN600.jpg

>
>
> And here's a view from the front.
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/honda600.jpg
> Weren't those things air-cooled?


Yes, they were air-cooled. I had forgotten that fact.

That blue does not look like an original color. I remember them
coming in yellow (mine), white and red. Could have been more, but
I don't remember.

The next model year, 72 maybe, the body was redesigned to be more
rounded and coupe-like.

I've got several other photos of my AN600. Maybe I'll scan a few.
Wish I still had it. It's gotta be worth something...

--
Larry J. - Remove spamtrap in ALLCAPS to e-mail

The United States is the greatest country in the world..!
Twenty-five million illegal aliens can't be wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 20 May 2005, 03:38 pm
TeGGeR®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda AN600

"Larry J." <usenet2@DE.LETE.THISljvideo.com> wrote in
news:Xns965C70AA49BEDlarrythefrog@68.6.19.6:


>
> I was in the USMC at the time, stationed near Santa Ana. When I
> drove the car on base, a couple of other officers who had been in
> Japan told me that they had seen that model there, but it had a
> chain drive. Before Honda could export to the US, they had to
> design a more traditional automobile transmission, as the chain
> would not be allowed here.



I wonder how accurate those servicemen were who told you that. What about
all those motorcycles on US roads with chain drive?

How's *this* for Honda automotive chain drive? Those clever little
Japanese!
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/honda_chains.jpg

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 21 May 2005, 01:28 am
tomb
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda AN600

Larry J. wrote:

| http://members.cox.net/ljvideo/images/Honda_AN600.jpg

Thanks much, you and TeGGeR, for sharing those pics. If I had more time I
wouldn't mind having one of those (or the N360 Talk about cars with
character...


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.