Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 20 May 2005, 10:51 am
John Horner
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Adding a transmission filter to a modern Honda ?


Has anyone out there added one of the Magnefine or other inline filters
to the cooling lines of their recent model Honda?

Honestly I am shocked that Honda seems to believe that replaceable
filters for the transmission fluid and fuel are no longer applicable to
their vehicles.

The fuel filter issue really stumps me. How on earth is Honda to know
that an owner will never get contaminated fuel from a filling station?

John
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 20 May 2005, 07:19 pm
Jafir Elkurd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Adding a transmission filter to a modern Honda ?

There is a filter in the fuel tank on the 1998 and later accords. I would
like a regular maintenance filter though.

And Honda has never had a replaceable transmission filter, except on a few
of their transmission in the v6 cars (1991-1995 legend for example). I've
seen a 1991 accord with over 300,000 miles on the original transmission, so
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just change the fluid regularly. I
have a legend (without a replaceable filter) with over 400,000 miles on the
tranny and no rebuild to my knowledge. (though my other legend isn't so
lucky... I have bad luck with transmissions)


"John Horner" <jthorner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:5Inje.23$Px1.5@trnddc07...
>
> Has anyone out there added one of the Magnefine or other inline filters to
> the cooling lines of their recent model Honda?
>
> Honestly I am shocked that Honda seems to believe that replaceable filters
> for the transmission fluid and fuel are no longer applicable to their
> vehicles.
>
> The fuel filter issue really stumps me. How on earth is Honda to know
> that an owner will never get contaminated fuel from a filling station?
>
> John



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 20 May 2005, 07:37 pm
TeGGeR®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Adding a transmission filter to a modern Honda ?

John Horner <jthorner@yahoo.com> wrote in news:5Inje.23$Px1.5@trnddc07:

>
> Has anyone out there added one of the Magnefine or other inline filters
> to the cooling lines of their recent model Honda?
>
> Honestly I am shocked that Honda seems to believe that replaceable
> filters for the transmission fluid and fuel are no longer applicable to
> their vehicles.
>
> The fuel filter issue really stumps me. How on earth is Honda to know
> that an owner will never get contaminated fuel from a filling station?
>



There are four filters between you and the gas in the underground tank.
1) Dispenser filter (that's the "pump")
2) Sock filter on the pickup in your gas tank
3) In-line filter in your fuel line (that's the one you replace)
4) Micro-filter in the injector itself.

The probability of grit getting to your injectors is virtually zero.

The contamination you are vulnerable to is WATER. Gas station tanks
eventually acquire a certain amount of water as a matter of course, just
because of their crime of existing on the planet Earth, where there is free
water. When the underground tank is refilled by that big truck you see
occasionally, that water is stirred up and temporarily gets suspended in
the gas, and gets pumped into your tank. That water passes through EVERY
filter in the system, even the very best ones you can buy.

The station is /supposed/ to take a newly-refilled tank off-line for a
couple of hours to let the water settle out, but few actually do that,
which is why you're supposed to lessen your chances of taking on water by
never filling up at a station that's being refilled. I actually go up to
the driver and ask him what tank he's filling. If it's not my octane, I gas
up.

Having said all that, most people are not at risk so much from water in the
gas from the gas station, but water they introduce into their system
THEMSELVES. In other words, most corrosion-based fuel system failures are
due to SUICIDE. Many people drive around with part-full or mostly empty
tanks. They will do this regularly, then allow the level to get very low
before they go and put five bucks in, just enough to get the Low Fuel light
to shut up.

That last paragraph means that they are allowing condensation from the bare
tank walls to run down into the gas every night. Over time, that water
builds up considerably, causing rust and scale inside the tank. Eventually
that water gets sucked up by the fuel pump, causing corrosion in the pump,
lines, injectors, pressure regulator, all sorts of components.

Then they wonder why they have fuel problems. Then they blame Honda, or the
gas station.


--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 21 May 2005, 11:09 pm
John Horner
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Adding a transmission filter to a modern Honda ?

TeGGeR® wrote:

>
> Having said all that, most people are not at risk so much from water in the
> gas from the gas station, but water they introduce into their system
> THEMSELVES. In other words, most corrosion-based fuel system failures are
> due to SUICIDE. Many people drive around with part-full or mostly empty
> tanks. They will do this regularly, then allow the level to get very low
> before they go and put five bucks in, just enough to get the Low Fuel light
> to shut up.
>


One wonders why owner's manuals make no mention of that potential problem.


> That last paragraph means that they are allowing condensation from the bare
> tank walls to run down into the gas every night. Over time, that water
> builds up considerably, causing rust and scale inside the tank. Eventually
> that water gets sucked up by the fuel pump, causing corrosion in the pump,
> lines, injectors, pressure regulator, all sorts of components.
>
> Then they wonder why they have fuel problems. Then they blame Honda, or the
> gas station.
>


Well, it appears that none of the experts in the fuel or auto industries
have made any attempt to inform the customers about these concerns.

John


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 22 May 2005, 06:17 am
Brian Smith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Adding a transmission filter to a modern Honda ?


"John Horner" <jthorner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:mCTje.3103$6d.2236@trnddc02...
>
> Well, it appears that none of the experts in the fuel or auto industries
> have made any attempt to inform the customers about these concerns.


Why would 'experts' feel the need to inform people of what is and has been
common knowledge for decades?

Brian


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 22 May 2005, 08:49 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Adding a transmission filter to a modern Honda ?

John Horner wrote:
>
> Has anyone out there added one of the Magnefine or other inline filters
> to the cooling lines of their recent model Honda?
>
> Honestly I am shocked that Honda seems to believe that replaceable
> filters for the transmission fluid and fuel are no longer applicable to
> their vehicles.
>
> The fuel filter issue really stumps me. How on earth is Honda to know
> that an owner will never get contaminated fuel from a filling station?
>
> John


what on earth are you worrying about? if honda transmissions were
failing due to excess wear product load, don't you think there'd be
fewer instances of automatic hondas with 300k or 400k miles on the
clock? the /modern/ hondas with reliability problems are due to
mechanical design issues, not lack of filtration.

same goes for honda fuel delivery - there are multiple filters between
the tank & the injector, not least of which is a fine mesh filter built
into the injector itself.

you're like a guy worrying about the wings falling off the plane. sure,
it /can/ happen, but the fatigue characteristics of aluminum are /very/
well known and if you're within the "safe zone", you stand more chance
of being struck by a meteorite while walking through the passenger lounge.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
transmission filter MichelleV Honda 2 2 18 May 2005 11:06 pm
Honda Odyssey A/C Filter (Dust and Pollen Filter) Replacement Hand Honda 2 3 09 Dec 2004 11:40 am
Changing Transmission Filter on a 91 Honda Accord LX Tremor Honda 3 1 07 Aug 2004 08:23 pm
Sell your Honda at www.edorado.com, post FREE basic ads, and only $5 for ads with image, COOL ultra modern site! AdsPost Honda 2 0 04 Jun 2004 03:02 pm
Is it a big deal? Adding A/C To Honda Civic DX (2002-2004) Pie Honda 3 2 30 May 2004 10:55 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.