Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 28 Mar 2005, 10:22 am
Ron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Idle up and down

I have a 98 civic auto with 135K miles. I did a tune-up at 118K miles and
replaced: spark plugs, cables, dist cap, rotor, fuel filter plus other
items.
This morning my car didn't want to start. It cranks, but won't start
(battery is ok). I had to push on the gas (I don't know if it really helps)
but it finally started. After a few minutes of running ok, it warmed up, and
the idle speed went down to the normal after it's warm. But then, I noticed
the idler a little higher than normal, but then the idle goes up and down,
like this: -------_------_-------_
it is about every 4 seconds or so when it drops down for 1/2 a sec and
returns up (sorry, I can't explain it better, but I hope you get the pic).
After that, I drove the car to work, and it did fine, but if I put the car
on neutral or park, it does the same (up and down idle).
Anybody have any idea what could be the problem? when I turn the key to on,
I can heard the main relay clicking twice as normal. Also, I filled up the
tank at the normal place 60 miles before this problem happened.

Thank you for your help.


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 28 Mar 2005, 10:40 am
K-town
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Idle up and down

(This isn't an answer to your question, unfortunately, but...)

My 1990 Civic LX is doing the same thing, except mine starts OK. I will be
sitting at idle, the tach will be around 1K, and all of a sudden it starts
going up and down between 1,000 and 1,500RPMs. Usually O2 sensor failure
does this, but I replaced my O2 sensor with a brand-new Bosch O2 sensor and
the problem still exists. It's also really "jumpy" in the lower RPM range.
If I am in any gear and the tach is between 1,500 and 2,000 RPMs, it "lunges
and lags" rapidly, as if I were tapping the gas pedal quickly, but of
course, I am holding the pedal steady only about of the way down. After
it clears 2,000RPMs it levels out and acceleration and engine operation
returns to normal.

(1.5L Dual-Point Fuel Injection; D15B2 engine)

Jonathan

"Ron" <rtd_2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ZaW1e.21542$ot.11404@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>I have a 98 civic auto with 135K miles. I did a tune-up at 118K miles and
>replaced: spark plugs, cables, dist cap, rotor, fuel filter plus other
>items.
> This morning my car didn't want to start. It cranks, but won't start
> (battery is ok). I had to push on the gas (I don't know if it really
> helps) but it finally started. After a few minutes of running ok, it
> warmed up, and the idle speed went down to the normal after it's warm. But
> then, I noticed the idler a little higher than normal, but then the idle
> goes up and down, like this: -------_------_-------_
> it is about every 4 seconds or so when it drops down for 1/2 a sec and
> returns up (sorry, I can't explain it better, but I hope you get the pic).
> After that, I drove the car to work, and it did fine, but if I put the car
> on neutral or park, it does the same (up and down idle).
> Anybody have any idea what could be the problem? when I turn the key to
> on, I can heard the main relay clicking twice as normal. Also, I filled up
> the tank at the normal place 60 miles before this problem happened.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 28 Mar 2005, 01:13 pm
motsco_ _
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Idle up and down

Ron wrote:
> I have a 98 civic auto with 135K miles. I did a tune-up at 118K miles and
> replaced: spark plugs, cables, dist cap, rotor, fuel filter plus other
> items.
> This morning my car didn't want to start. It cranks, but won't start
> (battery is ok). I had to push on the gas (I don't know if it really helps)
> but it finally started. After a few minutes of running ok, it warmed up, and
> the idle speed went down to the normal after it's warm. But then, I noticed
> the idler a little higher than normal, but then the idle goes up and down,
> like this: -------_------_-------_
> it is about every 4 seconds or so when it drops down for 1/2 a sec and
> returns up (sorry, I can't explain it better, but I hope you get the pic).
> After that, I drove the car to work, and it did fine, but if I put the car
> on neutral or park, it does the same (up and down idle).
> Anybody have any idea what could be the problem? when I turn the key to on,
> I can heard the main relay clicking twice as normal. Also, I filled up the
> tank at the normal place 60 miles before this problem happened.
>
> Thank you for your help.



------------------------

Your no-start is caused by a flooded engine . . that's why the 'how to
start a flooded engine' trick worked. See your manual about 'starting
the engine'
You probably have one injector sticking open, flooding the engine over
night. Injector cleaner or Gasohol might fix it (see manual if you don't
know what gasohol is). You didn't mention whether you checked your rad
or your reservoir, but probably one of them is LOW. The sensors in your
cooling system have to be immersed, or they will give flaky input to the
computer, and idle will go goofy.

'Curly'

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 28 Mar 2005, 02:08 pm
Woody
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Idle up and down

In addition to the other answers do a google search on main relay problems
in Hondas.

"Ron" <rtd_2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ZaW1e.21542$ot.11404@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>I have a 98 civic auto with 135K miles. I did a tune-up at 118K miles and
>replaced: spark plugs, cables, dist cap, rotor, fuel filter plus other
>items.
> This morning my car didn't want to start. It cranks, but won't start
> (battery is ok). I had to push on the gas (I don't know if it really
> helps) but it finally started. After a few minutes of running ok, it
> warmed up, and the idle speed went down to the normal after it's warm. But
> then, I noticed the idler a little higher than normal, but then the idle
> goes up and down, like this: -------_------_-------_
> it is about every 4 seconds or so when it drops down for 1/2 a sec and
> returns up (sorry, I can't explain it better, but I hope you get the pic).
> After that, I drove the car to work, and it did fine, but if I put the car
> on neutral or park, it does the same (up and down idle).
> Anybody have any idea what could be the problem? when I turn the key to
> on, I can heard the main relay clicking twice as normal. Also, I filled up
> the tank at the normal place 60 miles before this problem happened.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 28 Mar 2005, 05:35 pm
Eric
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Idle up and down

K-town wrote:
>
> (This isn't an answer to your question, unfortunately, but...)
>
> My 1990 Civic LX is doing the same thing, except mine starts OK. I will
> be sitting at idle, the tach will be around 1K, and all of a sudden it
> starts going up and down between 1,000 and 1,500RPMs. Usually O2 sensor
> failure does this, but I replaced my O2 sensor with a brand-new Bosch O2
> sensor and the problem still exists. It's also really "jumpy" in the
> lower RPM range. If I am in any gear and the tach is between 1,500 and
> 2,000 RPMs, it "lunges and lags" rapidly, as if I were tapping the gas
> pedal quickly, but of course, I am holding the pedal steady only about
> of the way down. After it clears 2,000RPMs it levels out and
> acceleration and engine operation returns to normal.
>
> (1.5L Dual-Point Fuel Injection; D15B2 engine)
>
> Jonathan


You may want to check that the cooling system is full and bled of air. With
the engine cool open the bleeder valve and top up the cooling system if it's
low. Coolant should flow freely from the bleeder valve once all of the air
is out of the system.

Eric
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 28 Mar 2005, 06:43 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Idle up and down

"motsco_ _" <"motsco_ _"@interbaun.com> wrote in message
news:42485771.8000501@interbaun.com...
> You didn't mention whether you checked your rad or your reservoir, but
> probably one of them is LOW. The sensors in your cooling system have to be
> immersed, or they will give flaky input to the computer, and idle will go
> goofy.
>
> 'Curly'
>


Ahh... I wondered why low coolant makes the idle irregular. That makes sense
now.

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 29 Mar 2005, 09:42 am
K-town
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Idle up and down


"Michael Pardee" <michaeltnull@cybertrails.com> wrote in message
news:b4idna8-NZ1aOdXfRVn-iQ@sedona.net...
> "motsco_ _" <"motsco_ _"@interbaun.com> wrote in message
> news:42485771.8000501@interbaun.com...
>> You didn't mention whether you checked your rad or your reservoir, but
>> probably one of them is LOW. The sensors in your cooling system have to
>> be immersed, or they will give flaky input to the computer, and idle will
>> go goofy.
>>
>> 'Curly'
>>

>
> Ahh... I wondered why low coolant makes the idle irregular. That makes
> sense now.
>
> Mike


Based on what "Curly" said, I'm 95% sure that's the problem with my car.
I've changed the throttle body on my car, so there probably is some air in
the cooling system. I've noticed the temp needle jumps up and down too.
I'll bleed the system and see if that fixes it.

Thanx! :-)

Jonathan


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
idle adjusting screw and idle specs kala Honda 1 0 02 Feb 2006 03:29 am
CR-V idle twfsa Honda 2 4 24 Apr 2005 01:10 pm
94 accord High idle when driving, low idle when stopped. Matt Honda 3 3 07 Apr 2005 11:16 pm
Sudden high idle, rough idle, gas smell, very poor mileage Richard Honda 3 8 17 Jan 2004 11:53 pm
Sudden high idle, rough idle, gas smell, very poor mileage Richard Honda 2 2 17 Jan 2004 11:51 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.