Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 23 Mar 2005, 04:34 pm
testy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default I passed emissions!

Just to let everyone know, my 91 Civic passed emissions with flying colors!
The new cat dropped my CO, hydrocarbon, and oxides of nitrogen down to
practically nothing. A dramatic difference! Even though carbon dioxide
levels don't count they do measure them and they were way down as well.

Hopefully I can drive the Civic until my van is paid off. My daughter
is 13 and it would be a great car for her to learn with.

Just an aside...even though emissions testing is a pain I wholeheartedly
support the program. I think Maryland's plan is fair - $14 for the first
test, if you pass you're good for two years. If you fail the second test is
free and they give you a list of troubleshooting ideas. Subsequent tests
are $14 and they end up giving you something like 6-8 months to correct the
problem. If it still won't pass you can get a 2 year waiver if you can show
repair receipts for at least $450. Sure it costs money, but if you pass
(like most people do) it's $14 every 2 years. A paltry sum when you
consider the benefit to the environment. If you fail you may have to spend
a few bucks, in my case about $350. But I did get a tuneup and a new cat
out of the deal. My car's running great and I've minimized my contribution
to air pollution. Win-win.

Thanks again for all the help from the folks here at alt.autos.honda!


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 23 Mar 2005, 04:56 pm
Eric
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I passed emissions!

testy wrote:
>
> Just to let everyone know, my 91 Civic passed emissions with flying
> colors! The new cat dropped my CO, hydrocarbon, and oxides of nitrogen
> down to practically nothing. A dramatic difference! Even though carbon
> dioxide levels don't count they do measure them and they were way down as
> well.


If I remember correctly, CO2 is measured to indicate if there are
significant exhaust leaks in the system. CO2 is a normal product of burning
a hydrocarbon. If the levels are too low, then it indicates that there's a
leak and that the other numbers are probably artificially low since not all
of the exhaust gasses are reaching the test station's probe.

Eric
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 23 Mar 2005, 07:37 pm
TeGGer®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I passed emissions!

"testy" <mikfaitdiespamdie@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:4am0e.601$Ax.161@trnddc04:

> Just to let everyone know, my 91 Civic passed emissions with flying
> colors! The new cat dropped my CO, hydrocarbon, and oxides of nitrogen
> down to practically nothing.




Numbers please! ppm and %, before and after.

I have a vested interest in this, since after nearly 250K miles my cat's
toast. I passed by ONE (1) ppm on NO two years ago. HC ond CO were still
very low.

Next test for me is this summer, and I expect to fail with my original cat.

Did you use an aftermarket cat, and if so, how'd it fit?


--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 23 Mar 2005, 08:15 pm
TeGGer®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I passed emissions!

Eric <say.no@spam.now> wrote in news:4241F42D.8EF2F816@spam.now:

> testy wrote:
>>
>> Just to let everyone know, my 91 Civic passed emissions with flying
>> colors! The new cat dropped my CO, hydrocarbon, and oxides of
>> nitrogen down to practically nothing. A dramatic difference! Even
>> though carbon dioxide levels don't count they do measure them and
>> they were way down as well.

>
> If I remember correctly, CO2 is measured to indicate if there are
> significant exhaust leaks in the system.



CO2 is an indication of good combustion. You want HIGH numbers. In the
ASM2525 tests common in North America, CO2 is used as a datum.


> CO2 is a normal product of
> burning a hydrocarbon. If the levels are too low, then it indicates
> that there's a leak and that the other numbers are probably
> artificially low since not all of the exhaust gasses are reaching the
> test station's probe.



That's called "dilution". That's where ambient air characteristics are
compared against exhaust gases. It's pretty complicated.
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06...bchapFtoc.html


--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 23 Mar 2005, 11:55 pm
Chris Jones
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I passed emissions!


"testy" <mikfaitdiespamdie@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:4am0e.601$Ax.161@trnddc04...
>
> Just an aside...even though emissions testing is a pain I wholeheartedly
> support the program. I think Maryland's plan is fair - $14 for the first
> test, if you pass you're good for two years. If you fail the second test
> is
> free and they give you a list of troubleshooting ideas. Subsequent tests
> are $14 and they end up giving you something like 6-8 months to correct
> the
> problem. If it still won't pass you can get a 2 year waiver if you can
> show
> repair receipts for at least $450. Sure it costs money, but if you pass
> (like most people do) it's $14 every 2 years. A paltry sum when you
> consider the benefit to the environment. If you fail you may have to
> spend
> a few bucks, in my case about $350. But I did get a tuneup and a new cat
> out of the deal. My car's running great and I've minimized my
> contribution
> to air pollution. Win-win.
>
> Thanks again for all the help from the folks here at alt.autos.honda!
>
>


Sounds like the smog test in California about 10 years ago - no big deal as
long as you took basic care of your car. Today, it is obnoxious. There are
different types of tests, testing stations and at a cost of $50 per test
pass or not. Lots of fraud in the past that has been addressed by more
procedures. To appease new car buyers, DMV allows for a "smog abatement
fee" in lieu of a smog for the first 5 years of a new car. Smog cert (or
abatement) became a revenue source for the state instead of a clean air
initiative - I hope MD stays simple...


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CA Emissions jim beam Honda 3 8 29 Dec 2004 02:41 am
NOX emissions Sirocco Acura 3 28 Sep 2004 11:03 am
Ontario emission test,FLUNKED,then PASSED,then PASSED again,WHY? M.A. Stewart Honda 2 1 13 Jul 2004 04:21 pm
Ontario emission test, FLUNKED, then PASSED, then PASSED again, WHY? M.A. Stewart Honda 3 1 01 Jul 2004 09:49 pm
Just passed the Cal smog test by the skin of my teeth... twiceasshort Honda 3 11 30 Apr 2004 06:16 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.