Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 21 Mar 2005, 08:12 am
Alex
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default CRV Valve Adjustment

I brought my 98 CRV in for an oil change and he strongly suggested I do a
valve adjustment because they tend to tighten up and burn in this engine.
This struck me as strange for a few reasons. I had a 89 civic si and sold it
with 180,000 miles on it. In all that time I think the valves were adjusted
once. It was still running like a clock when I sold it with no apparent signs
of valve trouble. I mention that because I believe the CRV has basically the
same engine. I also thought that valves would only loosen up with time and
wear; not tighten. Is my logic sound or is there some truth to what I was
told???

Thanks.

Alex

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 21 Mar 2005, 08:51 am
Jafir Elkurd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: CRV Valve Adjustment

The 89 Civic is an SOHC engine, and the CRV is a DOHC engine... so comparing
the valve train between the engines is not going to give you the info you
need.

My experience is that in most Honda engines, the intake valves get looser
over time and the exhaust valves get tighter. It just depends what part of
the valve is wearing the most.

I would recommend adjusting that valves whenever the owner's manual suggests
it, unless Honda has release a revised schedule.

"Alex" <colenzae@suscom.net> wrote in message
news:0001HW.BE64407403CE0110F04075B0@news.suscom.n et...
>I brought my 98 CRV in for an oil change and he strongly suggested I do a
> valve adjustment because they tend to tighten up and burn in this engine.
> This struck me as strange for a few reasons. I had a 89 civic si and sold
> it
> with 180,000 miles on it. In all that time I think the valves were
> adjusted
> once. It was still running like a clock when I sold it with no apparent
> signs
> of valve trouble. I mention that because I believe the CRV has basically
> the
> same engine. I also thought that valves would only loosen up with time and
> wear; not tighten. Is my logic sound or is there some truth to what I was
> told???
>
> Thanks.
>
> Alex
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 21 Mar 2005, 09:19 am
Alex
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: CRV Valve Adjustment

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:51:47 -0500, Jafir Elkurd wrote
(in article <WbB%d.1836$Qz.490@okepread05>):

> The 89 Civic is an SOHC engine, and the CRV is a DOHC engine... so comparing
> the valve train between the engines is not going to give you the info you
> need.
>
> My experience is that in most Honda engines, the intake valves get looser
> over time and the exhaust valves get tighter. It just depends what part of
> the valve is wearing the most.
>
> I would recommend adjusting that valves whenever the owner's manual suggests
> it, unless Honda has release a revised schedule.
>
> "Alex" <colenzae@suscom.net> wrote in message
> news:0001HW.BE64407403CE0110F04075B0@news.suscom.n et...
>> I brought my 98 CRV in for an oil change and he strongly suggested I do a
>> valve adjustment because they tend to tighten up and burn in this engine.
>> This struck me as strange for a few reasons. I had a 89 civic si and sold
>> it
>> with 180,000 miles on it. In all that time I think the valves were
>> adjusted
>> once. It was still running like a clock when I sold it with no apparent
>> signs
>> of valve trouble. I mention that because I believe the CRV has basically
>> the
>> same engine. I also thought that valves would only loosen up with time and
>> wear; not tighten. Is my logic sound or is there some truth to what I was
>> told???
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Alex
>>

>
>


Does anyone know the service interval?? We bought this car used with no
manuals.

Thanks,

Alex

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 21 Mar 2005, 11:07 am
motsco_ _
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: CRV Valve Adjustment

Alex wrote:
> I brought my 98 CRV in for an oil change and he strongly suggested I do a
> valve adjustment because they tend to tighten up and burn in this engine.
> This struck me as strange for a few reasons. I had a 89 civic si and sold it
> with 180,000 miles on it. In all that time I think the valves were adjusted
> once. It was still running like a clock when I sold it with no apparent signs
> of valve trouble. I mention that because I believe the CRV has basically the
> same engine. I also thought that valves would only loosen up with time and
> wear; not tighten. Is my logic sound or is there some truth to what I was
> told???
>
> Thanks.
>
> Alex
>


---------------------------

The guy is right. The valves in the first generation CR-V tend to
tighten, and will burn valves. So you should get them adjusted asap,
since you don't know the history. The manual is wrong anyway, but you
should order one from your dealer to save time in front of your
computer. The concensus over at hondasuv.com is 50,000 Km, (30,000
miles)Ask to have them adjusted on the 'loose' side of the spec. The
sticker is under the hood with the specs on it.You don't need a Honda
dealer to do it. . .Just somebody who's good with imports (and the
engine has to be COLD).

Same service interval applies to the Dual Pump Fluid in the rear
differential, otherwise, you'll get an awful grinding / moaning noise
when you turn tight felt-hand U-turns. It may seem to come from the
front of the CR-V, but it's caused by the rear diff. It only takes a
litre, and is a DIY job. Instructions are at hondasuv.com, and other places.

P.S. Go to the original dealer and get them to print out all the
previous service work. They'll do that for you. They want you to be
their friend.

'Curly'

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 21 Mar 2005, 08:36 pm
twfsa
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: CRV Valve Adjustment

I did a google on Honda Service intervals and there was an easy to
understand PDF file .Just as detailed as the factory manual.

Tom


"Alex" <colenzae@suscom.net> wrote in message
news:0001HW.BE64407403CE0110F04075B0@news.suscom.n et...
>I brought my 98 CRV in for an oil change and he strongly suggested I do a
> valve adjustment because they tend to tighten up and burn in this engine.
> This struck me as strange for a few reasons. I had a 89 civic si and sold
> it
> with 180,000 miles on it. In all that time I think the valves were
> adjusted
> once. It was still running like a clock when I sold it with no apparent
> signs
> of valve trouble. I mention that because I believe the CRV has basically
> the
> same engine. I also thought that valves would only loosen up with time and
> wear; not tighten. Is my logic sound or is there some truth to what I was
> told???
>
> Thanks.
>
> Alex
>



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 22 Mar 2005, 05:43 pm
motsco_ _
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: CRV Valve Adjustment

twfsa wrote:
> I did a google on Honda Service intervals and there was an easy to
> understand PDF file .Just as detailed as the factory manual.
>
> Tom



---------------------

Could you provide a link? It would be nice to see if it's correct, or
just a reprint of the info that's in the Incorrect Honda manual. . .

'Curly'

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 23 Mar 2005, 06:23 am
twfsa
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: CRV Valve Adjustment

I think this is the link https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/user_profile.asp

Tom


"motsco_ _" <"motsco_ _"@interbaun.com> wrote in message
news:4240AD9F.7000602@interbaun.com...
> twfsa wrote:
>> I did a google on Honda Service intervals and there was an easy to
>> understand PDF file .Just as detailed as the factory manual.
>>
>> Tom

>
>
> ---------------------
>
> Could you provide a link? It would be nice to see if it's correct, or just
> a reprint of the info that's in the Incorrect Honda manual. . .
>
> 'Curly'
>



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 24 Mar 2005, 01:02 pm
Alex
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: CRV Valve Adjustment

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:51:47 -0500, Jafir Elkurd wrote
(in article <WbB%d.1836$Qz.490@okepread05>):

> The 89 Civic is an SOHC engine, and the CRV is a DOHC engine... so comparing
> the valve train between the engines is not going to give you the info you
> need.
>
> My experience is that in most Honda engines, the intake valves get looser
> over time and the exhaust valves get tighter. It just depends what part of
> the valve is wearing the most.
>
> I would recommend adjusting that valves whenever the owner's manual suggests
> it, unless Honda has release a revised schedule.
>
> "Alex" <colenzae@suscom.net> wrote in message
> news:0001HW.BE64407403CE0110F04075B0@news.suscom.n et...
>> I brought my 98 CRV in for an oil change and he strongly suggested I do a
>> valve adjustment because they tend to tighten up and burn in this engine.
>> This struck me as strange for a few reasons. I had a 89 civic si and sold
>> it
>> with 180,000 miles on it. In all that time I think the valves were
>> adjusted
>> once. It was still running like a clock when I sold it with no apparent
>> signs
>> of valve trouble. I mention that because I believe the CRV has basically
>> the
>> same engine. I also thought that valves would only loosen up with time and
>> wear; not tighten. Is my logic sound or is there some truth to what I was
>> told???
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Alex
>>

>
>


Is there any way to tell if the valves are too tight??

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 24 Mar 2005, 04:30 pm
Jafir Elkurd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: CRV Valve Adjustment

Feeler gauge. I would invest in the service manual, if you plan on doing
your own maintenance or repairs. www.helminc.com
>
> Is there any way to tell if the valves are too tight??
>



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 25 Mar 2005, 03:54 pm
motsco_ _
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: CRV Valve Adjustment


> Is there any way to tell if the valves are too tight??
>


-------------------

Like I said . . . If it's got more than 30,000 miles since the last
adjustment, you've probably got a valve or two that's getting too tight.
I've been happy with the Chilton's manual, which I got from the Honda
dealer. Has a red CR-V on the cover. Did you check to see whether your
CR-V is making that awful noise when you do U-turns as well?

'Curly'


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Valve Adjustment? M.Paul Honda 2 3 10 Dec 2006 09:47 pm
Valve adjustment CR-V tflfb Honda 2 2 20 Jan 2004 04:14 pm
Valve Adjustment CR-V 01 tflfb Honda 2 1 02 Jan 2004 07:35 pm
Valve Adjustment Help Mr. Speck Honda 3 6 24 Oct 2003 11:24 pm
Valve adjustment on CR-V 01 tflfb Honda 2 1 11 Oct 2003 07:13 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.