Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08 Aug 2010, 07:24 pm
JD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Honda Fit Tires..

Looking at a 2010 Honda Fit and the dealer says the tires are filled
with nitrogen. Can I continue to add air or do I have to use nitrogen?

It also comes with a tire pressure monitoring system. Is there anyway to
turn that off? I check my tires once a month.

I guess my real questions here are is it necessary to fill tires with
nitrogen and is it necessary to constantly monitor my tire pressure?

--
JD..
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08 Aug 2010, 07:28 pm
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda Fit Tires..

In article <DKednbq3CJcf18LRnZ2dnUVZ_vOdnZ2d@posted.grandecom >,
JD <JD@example.invalid> wrote:

> Looking at a 2010 Honda Fit and the dealer says the tires are filled
> with nitrogen. Can I continue to add air or do I have to use nitrogen?


Please, do us all a favor and go enroll in community college and take a
physics class, and ask the professor what is the makeup of the
atmosphere we breathe....

.....and then come back and tell us your decision on this pressing issue.


>
> It also comes with a tire pressure monitoring system. Is there anyway to
> turn that off? I check my tires once a month.


Why do you want to turn that off? It sure sounds like you don't know
what it does.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08 Aug 2010, 07:55 pm
JD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda Fit Tires..

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article<DKednbq3CJcf18LRnZ2dnUVZ_vOdnZ2d@posted.gr andecom>,
> JD<JD@example.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Looking at a 2010 Honda Fit and the dealer says the tires are filled
>> with nitrogen. Can I continue to add air or do I have to use nitrogen?

>
> Please, do us all a favor and go enroll in community college and take a
> physics class, and ask the professor what is the makeup of the
> atmosphere we breathe....
>
> ....and then come back and tell us your decision on this pressing issue.
>


Aren't you the helpful one? Lets see, is it: 78 percent nitrogen, 21
percent oxygen, and 1 percent other gases by volume?

This is the first time I've heard of nitrogen in tires. Seems like a
more of a marketing tool than a necessity on a Honda Fit.

>
>>
>> It also comes with a tire pressure monitoring system. Is there anyway to
>> turn that off? I check my tires once a month.

>
> Why do you want to turn that off? It sure sounds like you don't know
> what it does.



Two for two on helpful! I guess it, duh, monitors the tire pressure? If
you don't know the answer, why reply? Please do us all a favor and stop
replying when you don't know the answer.

Or do you know if it can be turned off? Probably not.

--
JD..
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08 Aug 2010, 08:41 pm
J.L.Hemmer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda Fit Tires..

On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 19:24:37 -0500, JD <JD@example.invalid> wrote:

>Looking at a 2010 Honda Fit and the dealer says the tires are filled
>with nitrogen. Can I continue to add air or do I have to use nitrogen?
>
>It also comes with a tire pressure monitoring system. Is there anyway to
>turn that off? I check my tires once a month.
>
>I guess my real questions here are is it necessary to fill tires with
>nitrogen and is it necessary to constantly monitor my tire pressure?


The tire pressure monitoring system is federally mandated...and no,
you can't turn it off.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08 Aug 2010, 09:20 pm
JD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda Fit Tires..

J.L.Hemmer wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 19:24:37 -0500, JD<JD@example.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Looking at a 2010 Honda Fit and the dealer says the tires are filled
>> with nitrogen. Can I continue to add air or do I have to use nitrogen?
>>
>> It also comes with a tire pressure monitoring system. Is there anyway to
>> turn that off? I check my tires once a month.
>>
>> I guess my real questions here are is it necessary to fill tires with
>> nitrogen and is it necessary to constantly monitor my tire pressure?

>
> The tire pressure monitoring system is federally mandated...and no,
> you can't turn it off.


Guess I missed that.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/ruli...nal/index.html

Sure enough. Does the TPMS have a dedicated fuse?

Do you have a car with this on it? If a person isn't going to check
their tires every so often, is some kind of federally mandated
monitoring system going to change that behavior? Can't one just
disregard the warning?

Please be patient with me, the last time I bought a car was 1993. I'm
not kidding. My 1993 Pathfinder came with air in the tires that I monitor.

--
JD..
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08 Aug 2010, 10:00 pm
Stewart
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda Fit Tires..


"JD" <JD@example.invalid> wrote in message
newsKednbq3CJcf18LRnZ2dnUVZ_vOdnZ2d@posted.grand ecom...
> Looking at a 2010 Honda Fit and the dealer says the tires are filled
> with nitrogen. Can I continue to add air or do I have to use
> nitrogen?
>
> It also comes with a tire pressure monitoring system. Is there
> anyway to turn that off? I check my tires once a month.
>
> I guess my real questions here are is it necessary to fill tires
> with nitrogen and is it necessary to constantly monitor my tire
> pressure?
>
> --
> JD..


There are those that claim it is an advantage.....but it would be so
minor, it's not worth the hassle. Most anyone can have a home air
compressor, not many have bottled nitrogen (I have it at work where
there are advantages to using it in process and storage, but my car
tires, not!).


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09 Aug 2010, 07:51 am
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda Fit Tires..

In article <WLednQ7WAfkn-MLRnZ2dnUVZ_oudnZ2d@posted.grandecom>,
JD <JD@example.invalid> wrote:

> > The tire pressure monitoring system is federally mandated...and no,
> > you can't turn it off.

>
> Guess I missed that.
>
> http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/ruli...nal/index.html
>
> Sure enough. Does the TPMS have a dedicated fuse?


tell us all why you DON'T want a light to come on when a tire has gone
significantly below the level of the other tires.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09 Aug 2010, 07:52 am
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda Fit Tires..

In article <jMKdnWN9scE1zMLRnZ2dnUVZ_i2dnZ2d@posted.grandecom >,
JD <JD@example.invalid> wrote:

> > Please, do us all a favor and go enroll in community college and take a
> > physics class, and ask the professor what is the makeup of the
> > atmosphere we breathe....
> >
> > ....and then come back and tell us your decision on this pressing issue.
> >

>
> Aren't you the helpful one? Lets see, is it: 78 percent nitrogen, 21
> percent oxygen, and 1 percent other gases by volume?


So you know your tires are getting filled with mostly nitrogen already.

And you think getting rid of the oxygen does...what?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09 Aug 2010, 07:53 am
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda Fit Tires..

In article <jMKdnWN9scE1zMLRnZ2dnUVZ_i2dnZ2d@posted.grandecom >,
JD <JD@example.invalid> wrote:

> >> It also comes with a tire pressure monitoring system. Is there anyway to
> >> turn that off? I check my tires once a month.

> >
> > Why do you want to turn that off? It sure sounds like you don't know
> > what it does.

>
>
> Two for two on helpful! I guess it, duh, monitors the tire pressure? If
> you don't know the answer, why reply? Please do us all a favor and stop
> replying when you don't know the answer.
>
> Or do you know if it can be turned off? Probably not.


As you know by now, it is mandated by federal law.

It monitors the tire pressure. You have yet to tell us why you want to
pull the fuse and turn it off.

You have yet to tell us how that system interferes with your life.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09 Aug 2010, 09:52 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda Fit Tires..

On 08/08/2010 05:24 PM, JD wrote:
> Looking at a 2010 Honda Fit and the dealer says the tires are filled
> with nitrogen.


"the dealer says". that should have been a clue right at the start -
dealers say lots of things which aren't true. in this case, it's called
"keep the customer coming back".


> Can I continue to add air or do I have to use nitrogen?


air works fine.


>
> It also comes with a tire pressure monitoring system. Is there anyway to
> turn that off? I check my tires once a month.


you don't want to turn it off - if you get a nail in your tire, it might
not flat immediately, but leak faster than your once-a-month schedule
and therefore be dangerous, both to you and other road users.


>
> I guess my real questions here are is it necessary to fill tires with
> nitrogen and is it necessary to constantly monitor my tire pressure?


no and yes. tpms has a limit below which it triggers the alarm - it's
not an active gauge. you should continue to monitor actual tire
pressure in the normal way


--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there a big difference in tires? I have a '07 Honda Pilot Ex and I need new tires.? naughtybonita Honda Technical 4 12 May 2010 10:46 pm
Can you put 205/55/R16 tires on a Honda Odyssey Van that has 215/65/R16 tires on it now? Ron Honda Technical 3 23 Nov 2009 10:01 am
4 new tires for 2008 civic hybrid- can I use Accord tires? mrclean9 Honda Technical 3 05 Jan 2009 08:16 pm
99 Honda Crv has vibration in front tires at high speed but i had tires balanced, what is causing... gemeneye25@prodigy.net Honda Technical 5 28 Oct 2007 03:51 pm
my civic spins the tires in first gear and then hits the rev limiter i cant get the tires to stick? Tony T Honda Technical 12 12 Sep 2007 02:36 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.