Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 31 Jul 2010, 06:39 pm
Jim_Higgins
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 2007 Accord Engine Oil Recommendation

Why does Honda recommend 5W-20 oil instead of 5W-30?

--
Service Guarantees Citizenship
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 31 Jul 2010, 08:09 pm
Brian Smith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2007 Accord Engine Oil Recommendation

On 7/31/2010 7:39 PM, Jim_Higgins wrote:
> Why does Honda recommend 5W-20 oil instead of 5W-30?


That's what the engines were designed to have used in them.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 31 Jul 2010, 09:41 pm
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2007 Accord Engine Oil Recommendation

In article <i32c83$2s4$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
Jim_Higgins <gordian238@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Why does Honda recommend 5W-20 oil instead of 5W-30?


Why? Are you thinking you need 5W-30?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 31 Jul 2010, 10:31 pm
Jim_Higgins
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2007 Accord Engine Oil Recommendation

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article <i32c83$2s4$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
> Jim_Higgins <gordian238@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Why does Honda recommend 5W-20 oil instead of 5W-30?

>
> Why? Are you thinking you need 5W-30?


No, its their engine and if they say 5W-20 then that is what I shall use
exclusively. Just wondering why.

--
Service Guarantees Citizenship
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01 Aug 2010, 12:52 am
Mat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2007 Accord Engine Oil Recommendation

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 19:39:47 -0400, Jim_Higgins wrote:

> Why does Honda recommend 5W-20 oil instead of 5W-30?


I wondered too and asked the dealer. He said bearing tolerances. I wouldnt
take any chances for the small diff in price. I even spring for the Honda
filter since you only need to chg the oil once a year and filter every 20
months
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01 Aug 2010, 08:45 am
diogenes
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2007 Accord Engine Oil Recommendation

Mat <mxxx@nowherexcv.net> wrote in
newsan.2010.08.01.05.52.53.44000@nowherexcv.net:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 19:39:47 -0400, Jim_Higgins wrote:
>
>> Why does Honda recommend 5W-20 oil instead of 5W-30?

>
> I wondered too and asked the dealer. He said bearing tolerances. I
> wouldnt take any chances for the small diff in price. I even spring
> for the Honda filter since you only need to chg the oil once a year
> and filter every 20 months


the dealer lied.
it was done to lower fleet fuel consumption.
most experts say 5-30 is still fine too, but in most climates there is no
good reason to not use 5-20.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01 Aug 2010, 06:08 pm
Picasso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2007 Accord Engine Oil Recommendation

Jim_Higgins wrote:
> Why does Honda recommend 5W-20 oil instead of 5W-30?
>

Likely the same reason ford did it. to reduce fuel consumption, but
whatever small margin that might be??

I'm sure 5w30 still would work fine... in fact i'm sure 10w30 would
still work fine
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03 Aug 2010, 08:08 am
ACAR
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2007 Accord Engine Oil Recommendation

On Aug 1, 7:08*pm, Picasso <Pica...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jim_Higgins wrote:
> > Why does Honda recommend 5W-20 oil instead of 5W-30?

>
> Likely the same reason ford did it. *to reduce fuel consumption, but
> whatever small margin that might be??
>
> I'm sure 5w30 still would work fine... in fact i'm sure 10w30 would
> still work fine


check www.bobistheoilguy.com to find out how oil viscosity changes
with use.
in other words, the 5W20 that you put into the engine won't measure
5W20 when your mileage minder says its time for an oil change.
I've been using Mobil 1 in various weights but most often 0W30 or
5W30. I put 250K on my last engine which is still running well for its
new owner.
changing the oil/filter on schedule and keeping the oil level at
"full" are more important than finding 5W20, IMHO.


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03 Aug 2010, 08:43 pm
Brian Smith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2007 Accord Engine Oil Recommendation

On 8/3/2010 9:08 AM, ACAR wrote:
>
> check www.bobistheoilguy.com to find out how oil viscosity changes
> with use.
> in other words, the 5W20 that you put into the engine won't measure
> 5W20 when your mileage minder says its time for an oil change.
> I've been using Mobil 1 in various weights but most often 0W30 or
> 5W30. I put 250K on my last engine which is still running well for its
> new owner.
> changing the oil/filter on schedule and keeping the oil level at
> "full" are more important than finding 5W20, IMHO.


It's not difficult to *find* 5W20 oil these days. Back when I purchased
my 2001 Accord, not even the dealer had 5W20 in stock. It had to be
ordered in, pretty stupid non-planing, if you ask me.

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04 Aug 2010, 05:54 pm
Picasso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2007 Accord Engine Oil Recommendation

ACAR wrote:
> On Aug 1, 7:08 pm, Picasso <Pica...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Jim_Higgins wrote:
>>> Why does Honda recommend 5W-20 oil instead of 5W-30?

>> Likely the same reason ford did it. to reduce fuel consumption, but
>> whatever small margin that might be??
>>
>> I'm sure 5w30 still would work fine... in fact i'm sure 10w30 would
>> still work fine

>
> check www.bobistheoilguy.com to find out how oil viscosity changes
> with use.
> in other words, the 5W20 that you put into the engine won't measure
> 5W20 when your mileage minder says its time for an oil change.
> I've been using Mobil 1 in various weights but most often 0W30 or
> 5W30. I put 250K on my last engine which is still running well for its
> new owner.
> changing the oil/filter on schedule and keeping the oil level at
> "full" are more important than finding 5W20, IMHO.
>
>


I second the mobil one synthetic

all i run now.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking to modify existing exhaust on 2007 honda s 2000. anyone out there have a recommendation on.. healthy Honda Technical 4 19 Oct 2007 12:03 pm
buying recommendation 94 Accord LX Wagon webmaster@tfy.com Honda 2 43 23 Jun 2006 02:03 pm
Need tire recommendation from owners of 94-97 Honda Accord piclistguy@yahoo.com Honda 3 4 28 Mar 2006 11:30 am
Any recommendation for aftermarket headlamp bulbs for 94-97 Accord techman41973@yahoo.com Honda 3 3 03 Jun 2005 10:25 am
V6 Accord Tire Recommendation Joe Peteh Honda 3 7 18 Nov 2004 12:25 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.