Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 16 May 2010, 07:31 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default civic manual transmission question

if the transmission works noiselessly going forward, but grinds on
over-run, especially in first and second, is that usually the input
shaft bearing or one of the others?

don't usually deal with manuals and would prefer to target replacement
based on others' experience before stripping it down to inspect.

thanks much

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 17 May 2010, 05:12 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: civic manual transmission question

jim beam <me@privacy.net> wrote in
news:2aOdnV2VfMDvE23WnZ2dnUVZ_jWdnZ2d@speakeasy.ne t:

> if the transmission works noiselessly going forward, but grinds on
> over-run, especially in first and second, is that usually the input
> shaft bearing or one of the others?
>
> don't usually deal with manuals and would prefer to target replacement
> based on others' experience before stripping it down to inspect.
>
> thanks much
>



How do you define "over-run"? You mean shifting down to a lower gear?


--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 17 May 2010, 06:07 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: civic manual transmission question

On 05/17/2010 03:12 PM, Tegger wrote:
> jim beam<me@privacy.net> wrote in
> news:2aOdnV2VfMDvE23WnZ2dnUVZ_jWdnZ2d@speakeasy.ne t:
>
>> if the transmission works noiselessly going forward, but grinds on
>> over-run, especially in first and second, is that usually the input
>> shaft bearing or one of the others?
>>
>> don't usually deal with manuals and would prefer to target replacement
>> based on others' experience before stripping it down to inspect.
>>
>> thanks much
>>

>
>
> How do you define "over-run"? You mean shifting down to a lower gear?
>
>


taking your foot off the gas but leaving it in gear - engine braking if
you like. makes noise thusly in 1st and 2nd.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 17 May 2010, 08:27 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: civic manual transmission question

jim beam <me@privacy.net> wrote in
news:FJ6dna9ibtGKUWzWnZ2dnUVZ_hudnZ2d@speakeasy.ne t:

> On 05/17/2010 03:12 PM, Tegger wrote:
>> jim beam<me@privacy.net> wrote in
>> news:2aOdnV2VfMDvE23WnZ2dnUVZ_jWdnZ2d@speakeasy.ne t:
>>
>>> if the transmission works noiselessly going forward, but grinds on
>>> over-run, especially in first and second, is that usually the input
>>> shaft bearing or one of the others?
>>>
>>> don't usually deal with manuals and would prefer to target replacement
>>> based on others' experience before stripping it down to inspect.
>>>
>>> thanks much
>>>

>>
>>
>> How do you define "over-run"? You mean shifting down to a lower gear?
>>
>>

>
> taking your foot off the gas but leaving it in gear - engine braking if
> you like. makes noise thusly in 1st and 2nd.
>




Bearings howl and gears whine. Bearing howl will occur all the time. Gear
whine will occur only at specific speeds, and/or in specific gears, and
only when under load.

I think what you're experiencing may be a clearance problem, probably
between the exhaust or its heat-shields, and other parts.

Remember that engine braking on a manual, especially from high-rpm in the
lower gears, causes the engine to move quite a bit on its mounts. Should
the exhaust contact the body (or should the shift rods contact the
exhaust), you'll get some pretty awful noises and vibration. Check
carefully for shiny spots or other signs of interference on the shift rods,
the body, and the heat shields.

Does this thing have a short-shifter, aftermarket exhaust, or other
modification from stock?

--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 17 May 2010, 10:03 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: civic manual transmission question

On 05/17/2010 06:27 PM, Tegger wrote:
> jim beam<me@privacy.net> wrote in
> news:FJ6dna9ibtGKUWzWnZ2dnUVZ_hudnZ2d@speakeasy.ne t:
>
>> On 05/17/2010 03:12 PM, Tegger wrote:
>>> jim beam<me@privacy.net> wrote in
>>> news:2aOdnV2VfMDvE23WnZ2dnUVZ_jWdnZ2d@speakeasy.ne t:
>>>
>>>> if the transmission works noiselessly going forward, but grinds on
>>>> over-run, especially in first and second, is that usually the input
>>>> shaft bearing or one of the others?
>>>>
>>>> don't usually deal with manuals and would prefer to target replacement
>>>> based on others' experience before stripping it down to inspect.
>>>>
>>>> thanks much
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> How do you define "over-run"? You mean shifting down to a lower gear?
>>>
>>>

>>
>> taking your foot off the gas but leaving it in gear - engine braking if
>> you like. makes noise thusly in 1st and 2nd.
>>

>
>
>
> Bearings howl and gears whine. Bearing howl will occur all the time. Gear
> whine will occur only at specific speeds, and/or in specific gears, and
> only when under load.


but gears can whine when bearings are out, not because the gears
themselves are a problem. for instance, with helical gears there is
axial loading. if that causes axial bearing load in the direction of a
good bearing, all will be good and silent - in the reverse direction
where the axial load is on a bad bearing, all hell breaks loose.
exactly what we're experiencing here. i'm trying to figure out which
one is the likeliest and buy a replacement before removal of an
otherwise perfectly serviceable transmission that's not giving any metal
filings on the drain magnet.

subsequent to my post, i found an article by mistabone on this problem
and he says it's input shaft closest the flywheel is the commonest
failure. however, he then goes and ruins it by advocating the use of
"staking" bearings in place with a punch. really really really not a
good idea - fatigue crack initiation. if there's a bearing retention
problem, you should use an appropriate loctite retainer. easy to
assemble, and local heating makes it easy to disassemble. do NOT punch
fatigue initiators into your aluminum gear housings you crazy kids!


>
> I think what you're experiencing may be a clearance problem, probably
> between the exhaust or its heat-shields, and other parts.
>
> Remember that engine braking on a manual, especially from high-rpm in the
> lower gears, causes the engine to move quite a bit on its mounts. Should
> the exhaust contact the body (or should the shift rods contact the
> exhaust), you'll get some pretty awful noises and vibration. Check
> carefully for shiny spots or other signs of interference on the shift rods,
> the body, and the heat shields.


yeah, we're looking into that too - it's raining out so i'm not lying on
my back in that stuff if i don't have to.


>
> Does this thing have a short-shifter, aftermarket exhaust, or other
> modification from stock?


yeah, aftermarket exhaust. i'm going to let the car's owner worry about
that stuff.

thanks tegger

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 18 May 2010, 06:57 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: civic manual transmission question

jim beam <me@privacy.net> wrote in
news:hJSdnded87APnm_WnZ2dnUVZ_qydnZ2d@speakeasy.ne t:

> On 05/17/2010 06:27 PM, Tegger wrote:


>>
>> Bearings howl and gears whine. Bearing howl will occur all the time.
>> Gear whine will occur only at specific speeds, and/or in specific
>> gears, and only when under load.

>
> but gears can whine when bearings are out, not because the gears
> themselves are a problem. for instance, with helical gears there is
> axial loading. if that causes axial bearing load in the direction of
> a good bearing, all will be good and silent - in the reverse direction
> where the axial load is on a bad bearing, all hell breaks loose.




Yeah, and that's when they howl. I've heard it often enough.



> exactly what we're experiencing here. i'm trying to figure out which
> one is the likeliest and buy a replacement before removal of an
> otherwise perfectly serviceable transmission that's not giving any
> metal filings on the drain magnet.



Check out mechanical interference first. I suspect there's nothing wrong
with your tranny.



--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to Manual Transmission Question Stephanie76 Honda Technical 0 12 Mar 2009 11:56 am
98 Civic Hx Manual transmission problem mullesch311 Honda Technical 0 04 Jun 2008 08:19 pm
What transmission oil to use in my civic EH9 saloon 92-95 manual? MG Honda Technical 2 30 Oct 2007 12:30 pm
Accord Manual Transmission question ZRexRider Honda 2 14 29 Nov 2005 07:01 am
Best manual transmission oil for a Civic? Rob Honda 2 2 12 Jun 2005 09:24 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.