Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 25 Apr 2010, 02:53 pm
thebigguy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Battery Q

97 CRV 130000...what would be the best brand of battery for this
vehicle in terms of price and quality?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 25 Apr 2010, 08:36 pm
Dddudley
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Battery Q

On 4/25/2010 2:53 PM, thebigguy wrote:
> 97 CRV 130000...what would be the best brand of battery for this
> vehicle in terms of price and quality?


Your mileage may vary, but I usually go to one of the discount stores or
farm supply places and buy the BEST battery they sell. No because it's
likely to be all that much better, but because the warranty generally is
NOT pro-rated until it hits 60 months. This has been especially
practical for one car we have that sits a lot over the winter. It will
run itself flat and that's a battery killer. My bad but the battery has
been replaced two times under warranty and it hasn't cost me anything
but my time.





Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 26 Apr 2010, 04:21 am
Leftie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Battery Q

Dddudley wrote:
> On 4/25/2010 2:53 PM, thebigguy wrote:
>> 97 CRV 130000...what would be the best brand of battery for this
>> vehicle in terms of price and quality?

>
> Your mileage may vary, but I usually go to one of the discount stores or
> farm supply places and buy the BEST battery they sell. No because it's
> likely to be all that much better, but because the warranty generally is
> NOT pro-rated until it hits 60 months. This has been especially
> practical for one car we have that sits a lot over the winter. It will
> run itself flat and that's a battery killer. My bad but the battery has
> been replaced two times under warranty and it hasn't cost me anything
> but my time.
>
>
>
>
>


If you have an AC outlet available, a battery tender Jr. goes for
$30 on Ebay. How much is your time worth...?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 26 Apr 2010, 08:44 am
Dddudley
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Battery Q

On 4/26/2010 4:21 AM, Leftie wrote:
> Dddudley wrote:
>> On 4/25/2010 2:53 PM, thebigguy wrote:
>>> 97 CRV 130000...what would be the best brand of battery for this
>>> vehicle in terms of price and quality?

>>
>> Your mileage may vary, but I usually go to one of the discount stores
>> or farm supply places and buy the BEST battery they sell. No because
>> it's likely to be all that much better, but because the warranty
>> generally is NOT pro-rated until it hits 60 months. This has been
>> especially practical for one car we have that sits a lot over the
>> winter. It will run itself flat and that's a battery killer. My bad
>> but the battery has been replaced two times under warranty and it
>> hasn't cost me anything but my time.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>

>
> If you have an AC outlet available, a battery tender Jr. goes for $30 on
> Ebay. How much is your time worth...?


Too soon old, too late smart<g>

I use a battery tender on the Corvette. I tend to get lazy and don't
swap it out to the other car all that often. That car remains outside
and not in close proximity to the AC.

That's why I stated, "My bad"


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 26 Apr 2010, 11:42 pm
Leftie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Battery Q

Dddudley wrote:
> On 4/26/2010 4:21 AM, Leftie wrote:
>> Dddudley wrote:
>>> On 4/25/2010 2:53 PM, thebigguy wrote:
>>>> 97 CRV 130000...what would be the best brand of battery for this
>>>> vehicle in terms of price and quality?
>>>
>>> Your mileage may vary, but I usually go to one of the discount stores
>>> or farm supply places and buy the BEST battery they sell. No because
>>> it's likely to be all that much better, but because the warranty
>>> generally is NOT pro-rated until it hits 60 months. This has been
>>> especially practical for one car we have that sits a lot over the
>>> winter. It will run itself flat and that's a battery killer. My bad
>>> but the battery has been replaced two times under warranty and it
>>> hasn't cost me anything but my time.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>

>>
>> If you have an AC outlet available, a battery tender Jr. goes for $30 on
>> Ebay. How much is your time worth...?

>
> Too soon old, too late smart<g>
>
> I use a battery tender on the Corvette. I tend to get lazy and don't
> swap it out to the other car all that often. That car remains outside
> and not in close proximity to the AC.
>
> That's why I stated, "My bad"
>
>


I understand - I killed a couple of batteries before getting the
Tender. If the car is outside you may be able to find a solar charger
that actually works, and add an always-on accessory outlet for that.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 27 Apr 2010, 08:10 am
E. Meyer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Battery Q

On 4/26/10 11:42 PM, in article X3tBn.74977$iu2.1247@newsfe15.iad, "Leftie"
<No@Thanks.net> wrote:

> Dddudley wrote:
>> On 4/26/2010 4:21 AM, Leftie wrote:
>>> Dddudley wrote:
>>>> On 4/25/2010 2:53 PM, thebigguy wrote:
>>>>> 97 CRV 130000...what would be the best brand of battery for this
>>>>> vehicle in terms of price and quality?
>>>>
>>>> Your mileage may vary, but I usually go to one of the discount stores
>>>> or farm supply places and buy the BEST battery they sell. No because
>>>> it's likely to be all that much better, but because the warranty
>>>> generally is NOT pro-rated until it hits 60 months. This has been
>>>> especially practical for one car we have that sits a lot over the
>>>> winter. It will run itself flat and that's a battery killer. My bad
>>>> but the battery has been replaced two times under warranty and it
>>>> hasn't cost me anything but my time.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> If you have an AC outlet available, a battery tender Jr. goes for $30 on
>>> Ebay. How much is your time worth...?

>>
>> Too soon old, too late smart<g>
>>
>> I use a battery tender on the Corvette. I tend to get lazy and don't
>> swap it out to the other car all that often. That car remains outside
>> and not in close proximity to the AC.
>>
>> That's why I stated, "My bad"
>>
>>

>
> I understand - I killed a couple of batteries before getting the
> Tender. If the car is outside you may be able to find a solar charger
> that actually works, and add an always-on accessory outlet for that.


This is all very interesting, but the guy what asking what battery to buy.
I think the original advice was sound - go for the one with the longest
non=pro-rated free exchange guarantee. This is also the recommendation
given by Consumer Reports in their battery tests.

I have used this feature more than once when relatively new batteries have
suddenly simply died, which seems to be the way with current batteries,
whether neglected or not.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 27 Apr 2010, 09:11 am
pws
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Battery Q

E. Meyer wrote:
> On 4/26/10 11:42 PM, in article X3tBn.74977$iu2.1247@newsfe15.iad, "Leftie"
> <No@Thanks.net> wrote:
>
>> Dddudley wrote:
>>> On 4/26/2010 4:21 AM, Leftie wrote:
>>>> Dddudley wrote:
>>>>> On 4/25/2010 2:53 PM, thebigguy wrote:
>>>>>> 97 CRV 130000...what would be the best brand of battery for this
>>>>>> vehicle in terms of price and quality?
>>>>> Your mileage may vary, but I usually go to one of the discount stores
>>>>> or farm supply places and buy the BEST battery they sell. No because
>>>>> it's likely to be all that much better, but because the warranty
>>>>> generally is NOT pro-rated until it hits 60 months. This has been
>>>>> especially practical for one car we have that sits a lot over the
>>>>> winter. It will run itself flat and that's a battery killer. My bad
>>>>> but the battery has been replaced two times under warranty and it
>>>>> hasn't cost me anything but my time.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>> If you have an AC outlet available, a battery tender Jr. goes for $30 on
>>>> Ebay. How much is your time worth...?
>>> Too soon old, too late smart<g>
>>>
>>> I use a battery tender on the Corvette. I tend to get lazy and don't
>>> swap it out to the other car all that often. That car remains outside
>>> and not in close proximity to the AC.
>>>
>>> That's why I stated, "My bad"
>>>
>>>

>> I understand - I killed a couple of batteries before getting the
>> Tender. If the car is outside you may be able to find a solar charger
>> that actually works, and add an always-on accessory outlet for that.

>
> This is all very interesting, but the guy what asking what battery to buy.
> I think the original advice was sound - go for the one with the longest
> non=pro-rated free exchange guarantee. This is also the recommendation
> given by Consumer Reports in their battery tests.
>
> I have used this feature more than once when relatively new batteries have
> suddenly simply died, which seems to be the way with current batteries,
> whether neglected or not.


Ditto that. I seem to have had more battery problems in the last 5 years
than I did in the previous 10 or even 15 years, and I don't think it is
just coincidence.

I remember when I could buy a Duralast battery and have no worries for
years. Not anymore.

The ability to run it up to Autozone for a replacement is the most
valuable aspect to me.
My other car has a tiny battery mounted in the trunk with vent hoses,
and it is even more of a PITA to deal with than normal.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 27 Apr 2010, 03:40 pm
thebigguy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Battery Q

All good info...will go for the longest warranty product.
Incidentally, I asked because my current battery is 8 yrs old, never
had any trouble with it, but it cant last forever...I can't tell the
brand due to the casing around the battery, but will post when I find
out what it is...if it is still manufactured I'll get that one again
for sure!

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 27 Apr 2010, 04:12 pm
DDDudley
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Battery Q

thebigguy, wrote the following at or about 4/27/2010 3:40 PM:
> All good info...will go for the longest warranty product.
> Incidentally, I asked because my current battery is 8 yrs old, never
> had any trouble with it, but it cant last forever...I can't tell the
> brand due to the casing around the battery, but will post when I find
> out what it is...if it is still manufactured I'll get that one again
> for sure!
>


Brand, schmand<g> Don't know that it makes a helluva lot of difference.

Last "long lifer" we had came out of my wife's 2003 Chrysler T&C.
Manufactured in late 2002. Put a new battery in it about this time last
year, just before we sold it. Simply crapped out one fine April day.
Yep! OEM Mopar battery been in it since rolling off the line.

You just never know.


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 27 Apr 2010, 07:06 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Battery Q

thebigguy <bigjcw1023@gmail.com> wrote in news:30cf6634-9b1e-4347-be0b-
8ee7b1df6d09@j21g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

> 97 CRV 130000...what would be the best brand of battery for this
> vehicle in terms of price and quality?




Eveready from Walmart, or Interstate.

Battery life is determined primarily by the care the battery receives
during its lifetime. Most batteries die early from misuse and mishandling,
not poor quality.

Unless you live in Arizona or other very hot place, a battery should last a
MINIMUM of eight years.

--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do i charge the battery on my honda accord automatic? (1995) the battery is dead and i cant freestyle Honda Technical 9 15 Jun 2008 02:31 pm
Auto Battery Problems! My battery has been being drained..to a point where it cant be recharged...? Deonndre21 Honda Technical 3 15 Aug 2007 04:23 pm
Brand new battery, battery light still comes on and off adf Honda 2 18 13 Feb 2006 07:12 am
Brand new battery, battery light still comes ON and off adf Honda 3 3 10 Feb 2006 09:26 pm
Honda dealer said, Battery test Bad - recommended to change battery, Sears said no need to cgange Santa Honda 3 14 10 Nov 2003 05:15 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.