Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11 Dec 2004, 10:08 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Accord heater control valve

My daughter's '93 Accord is having heater control problems. The temperature
control knob is cracked now, as a result of too much torque to adjust the
temperature. I pulled the control panel out last week to check out the
mechanism, and with the cable disconnected it worked okay. Today I replaced
the heater control valve, but found the new valve has about the same feel as
the old one. That only leaves the control cable. Anybody have experience
with that?

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11 Dec 2004, 10:49 pm
motsco_ _
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Accord heater control valve

Michael Pardee wrote:
> My daughter's '93 Accord is having heater control problems. The temperature
> control knob is cracked now, as a result of too much torque to adjust the
> temperature. I pulled the control panel out last week to check out the
> mechanism, and with the cable disconnected it worked okay. Today I replaced
> the heater control valve, but found the new valve has about the same feel as
> the old one. That only leaves the control cable. Anybody have experience
> with that?
>
> Mike
>

--------------------

Could be somebody lubed it with something dino-based? Graphite is about
the only thing (or light silicone) that works well on them because of
cold. Locksmiths / hardwares sell an aerosol graphite spray called
LockEase. Small blue can. Great for ignition and door locks, but messy
on pants. Wipe off excess from keys, etc.

'Curly'

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12 Dec 2004, 08:44 am
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Accord heater control valve

"motsco_ _" <"motsco_ _"@interbaun.com> wrote in message
news:41BBCDD2.6080607@interbaun.com...
> Michael Pardee wrote:
>> My daughter's '93 Accord is having heater control problems. The
>> temperature control knob is cracked now, as a result of too much torque
>> to adjust the temperature. I pulled the control panel out last week to
>> check out the mechanism, and with the cable disconnected it worked okay.
>> Today I replaced the heater control valve, but found the new valve has
>> about the same feel as the old one. That only leaves the control cable.
>> Anybody have experience with that?
>>
>> Mike

> --------------------
>
> Could be somebody lubed it with something dino-based? Graphite is about
> the only thing (or light silicone) that works well on them because of
> cold. Locksmiths / hardwares sell an aerosol graphite spray called
> LockEase. Small blue can. Great for ignition and door locks, but messy on
> pants. Wipe off excess from keys, etc.
>
> 'Curly'
>

I hadn't considered that the previous owner may have used WD-40 or similar.
The control was stiff when we bought it 3 years ago.

I've had run-ins with various locks that were squirted with WD-40. They work
great for a year or so, then start getting really stiff. I've used Lock-Ease
before and it works well on anything that hasn't been WD-40'd. On contact
with WD-40 residue almost any solvent (or dry graphite) hardens the residue.
I have never been able to flush the goo out and the only thing that works at
that stage is more WD-40. The device essentially becomes addicted to WD-40.
I don't know what happens after a number of years that way.

Anyway, I can get to the valve end of the cable easily enough. My plan will
be to slip a piece of tubing over the end and tie it to the cable sheath,
spray a healthy bit of Lock-Ease into the tube and apply a bit of air
pressure from my mouth to coax it up the cable. If that fails, I'll plan on
replacing the cable. I could pull it out and fiddle with it, but I doubt the
price of a new cable is very high.

Thanks!

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12 Dec 2004, 12:27 pm
N.E.Ohio Bob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Accord heater control valve

Michael Pardee wrote:
My plan will
> be to slip a piece of tubing over the end and tie it to the cable sheath,
> spray a healthy bit of Lock-Ease into the tube and apply a bit of air
> pressure from my mouth to coax it up the cable. If that fails, I'll plan on
> replacing the cable. I could pull it out and fiddle with it, but I doubt the
> price of a new cable is very high.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mike
>
>

Let us know if that works. I've replaced about eight of those knobs
over the years since I bought my '92 Accord. bob
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12 Dec 2004, 01:28 pm
Howard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Accord heater control valve

From experience, the only thing that will help on a permanent basis is a new
cable. And yes, they are cheap enough, under $10 if memory serves.
Howard
"N.E.Ohio Bob" <rgstroud@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
news:P40vd.62518$MG3.27934@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
> Michael Pardee wrote:
> My plan will
>> be to slip a piece of tubing over the end and tie it to the cable sheath,
>> spray a healthy bit of Lock-Ease into the tube and apply a bit of air
>> pressure from my mouth to coax it up the cable. If that fails, I'll plan
>> on replacing the cable. I could pull it out and fiddle with it, but I
>> doubt the price of a new cable is very high.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Mike

> Let us know if that works. I've replaced about eight of those knobs over
> the years since I bought my '92 Accord. bob



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12 Dec 2004, 02:08 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Accord heater control valve

"Howard" <howardh1951at@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:vY0vd.70988$Dm2.24721@bignews1.bellsouth.net. ..
> From experience, the only thing that will help on a permanent basis is a
> new cable. And yes, they are cheap enough, under $10 if memory serves.
> Howard
> "N.E.Ohio Bob" <rgstroud@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:P40vd.62518$MG3.27934@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
>> Michael Pardee wrote:
>> My plan will
>>> be to slip a piece of tubing over the end and tie it to the cable
>>> sheath, spray a healthy bit of Lock-Ease into the tube and apply a bit
>>> of air pressure from my mouth to coax it up the cable. If that fails,
>>> I'll plan on replacing the cable. I could pull it out and fiddle with
>>> it, but I doubt the price of a new cable is very high.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Mike

>> Let us know if that works. I've replaced about eight of those knobs over
>> the years since I bought my '92 Accord. bob

>
>

That's good to hear. I tried the Lock-Ease thing (although a simple squirt
at the exposed end was enough to break that end free), but still no joy.
Originally I couldn't move the cable at all by twisting the valve end, but
now it moves. However, the knob still moves a bit then jams, while the valve
end doesn't move at all. I imagine the cable is binding in the middle, and
once I get the controller out *again* it is probably as easy to replace the
cable as to fuss with it any more.

Also, thanks to N.E.Ohio Bob - I hoped the knobs were available separately
and now I know how to approach the problem. New knob, new cable. Couple
hours disassembling and reassembling. Daughter happy again....

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12 Dec 2004, 06:12 pm
Sniper
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Accord heater control valve

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:27:59 GMT, "N.E.Ohio Bob" <rgstroud@neo.rr.com>
wrote:

>Michael Pardee wrote:
> My plan will
>> be to slip a piece of tubing over the end and tie it to the cable sheath,
>> spray a healthy bit of Lock-Ease into the tube and apply a bit of air
>> pressure from my mouth to coax it up the cable. If that fails, I'll plan on
>> replacing the cable. I could pull it out and fiddle with it, but I doubt the
>> price of a new cable is very high.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Mike
>>
>>

> Let us know if that works. I've replaced about eight of those knobs
>over the years since I bought my '92 Accord. bob

Same thing with my '92. Currently using an old radio knob. Doesn't
look too great, but it's lasted for almost two years.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12 Dec 2004, 09:58 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Accord heater control valve


"Sniper" <majorret310@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1hnpr0hugi2j8repklt7gb418fbhh0034k@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:27:59 GMT, "N.E.Ohio Bob" <rgstroud@neo.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Michael Pardee wrote:
>> My plan will
>>> be to slip a piece of tubing over the end and tie it to the cable
>>> sheath,
>>> spray a healthy bit of Lock-Ease into the tube and apply a bit of air
>>> pressure from my mouth to coax it up the cable. If that fails, I'll plan
>>> on
>>> replacing the cable. I could pull it out and fiddle with it, but I doubt
>>> the
>>> price of a new cable is very high.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>
>>>

>> Let us know if that works. I've replaced about eight of those knobs
>>over the years since I bought my '92 Accord. bob

> Same thing with my '92. Currently using an old radio knob. Doesn't
> look too great, but it's lasted for almost two years.
>

I'd still be concerned about excessive torque, though. The gear mechanism
the knob turns is plastic.

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 13 Dec 2004, 05:45 pm
Grahame
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Accord heater control valve

Had this problem many times on my 91 Accord, the problem is NOT the cable
but the adjustment of the control cable at the heater box located beneath
the glove box please refer to this website for adjustments.
http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/AccordManual/index.html

"Michael Pardee" <michaeltnull@cybertrails.com> wrote in message
news:zrudnewOlN6mWSbcRVn-3w@sedona.net...
> My daughter's '93 Accord is having heater control problems. The

temperature
> control knob is cracked now, as a result of too much torque to adjust the
> temperature. I pulled the control panel out last week to check out the
> mechanism, and with the cable disconnected it worked okay. Today I

replaced
> the heater control valve, but found the new valve has about the same feel

as
> the old one. That only leaves the control cable. Anybody have experience
> with that?
>
> Mike
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 14 Dec 2004, 01:12 pm
Jason
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Accord heater control valve

In article <zrudnewOlN6mWSbcRVn-3w@sedona.net>, "Michael Pardee"
<michaeltnull@cybertrails.com> wrote:

> My daughter's '93 Accord is having heater control problems. The temperature
> control knob is cracked now, as a result of too much torque to adjust the
> temperature. I pulled the control panel out last week to check out the
> mechanism, and with the cable disconnected it worked okay. Today I replaced
> the heater control valve, but found the new valve has about the same feel as
> the old one. That only leaves the control cable. Anybody have experience
> with that?
>
> Mike


I once owned a 93 Accord and replaced that control knob at least once per
year. I always purchased two and kept one in the tool box. I found out
that the control knob for the 96 and 97 Accord looked almost the same so I
purchased one of the those and it lasted about two years so you might want
to do the same thing.

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
We respect those subscribers that ask for advice or provide advice.
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
99 Accord heater / A/C control? Elbert Honda 2 4 27 Dec 2006 09:29 am
95 Accord Heater control , con't N.E.Ohio Bob Honda 2 2 17 Dec 2006 08:06 am
1994 Accord Heater Control Lights James Rose Honda 3 1 28 Jun 2005 12:11 am
Heater control knob - 95 accord NetMan Honda 3 4 07 Oct 2003 04:55 pm
Heater control knob - 95 accord NetMan Honda 2 1 04 Oct 2003 03:17 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.