Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 29 Nov 2004, 07:56 pm
Paul
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Valve Job - O2 Sensor Question


Greetings: I've got a '92 Accord (175,000 mi). Have been trying to
really give it a thorough upgrading without a total overhaul, and just
wondered if either or both of the following two things could possibly
increase engine performance and longevity: (1) valve adjustment
and, (2) a new O2 sensor. Neither of these issues has ever been
addressed over the life of the car. I have anecdotally heard that
a valve adjustment and/or new oxygen sensor could enhance
performance, but would like to hear it from someone out there in
the real world before shelling out real money. Thanks. - Paul

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 29 Nov 2004, 08:27 pm
motsco_ _
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Valve Job - O2 Sensor Question

Paul wrote:
> Greetings: I've got a '92 Accord (175,000 mi). Have been trying to
> really give it a thorough upgrading without a total overhaul, and just
> wondered if either or both of the following two things could possibly
> increase engine performance and longevity: (1) valve adjustment
> and, (2) a new O2 sensor. Neither of these issues has ever been
> addressed over the life of the car. I have anecdotally heard that
> a valve adjustment and/or new oxygen sensor could enhance
> performance, but would like to hear it from someone out there in
> the real world before shelling out real money. Thanks. - Paul
>

================

Do you mean 'performance', or fuel economy. Your wording isn't clear.
Valve adjustment should follow the manual's recommendation, (unless
there is a known error, like the CRV manual) and the PCV often gets
overlooked.

Why not list the stuff you _have_ done?

'Curly'

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 29 Nov 2004, 09:31 pm
Paul
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Valve Job - O2 Sensor Question


Hi Curly: Yeah, performance synonymous with fuel economy is
on track. And, you know, "smoothness" in driving for lack of a
better term. OK, here's a rundown on what's been done recently,
all values in miles:

1) New plugs, Bosch Platinum +4 (don't laugh, 'cause they
work great) at 175,000. These really made a difference.
2) New rotors at 175,000, after-market but they work fine.
3) Machined drums at 170,000
4) New brake pads/shoes/master cylinder at 170,000
5) New radiator / timing belt / water pump at 150,000
6 New radiator fan timer, engine coolant temp. sensor,
gauge sender, fan sensor, and thermostat at 150,000.
7) New EGR valve/EGR solenoid/PCV valve at 135,000.
8) New tires (Michelin HydroEdge) so I don't go hydo-
planing all over Canada like before with my 4mm
Harmonys.

So what's left? I'd love a transmission overhaul but can't afford it
and don't know how to manage it myself. Maybe I'll take one of
those six-week night classes at the local community college and
learn how to do this. Seriously, I'd love to. Just don't have the
time. So that's back to my original questions. Namely, what kind
of benefit (or lack thereof) might a valve adjustment and/or new
oxygen sensor have on this particular car? Thanks again. - Paul

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 19:27:58 -0700, "motsco_ _" <"motsco_
_"@interbaun.com> wrote:

>Paul wrote:
>> Greetings: I've got a '92 Accord (175,000 mi). Have been trying to
>> really give it a thorough upgrading without a total overhaul, and just
>> wondered if either or both of the following two things could possibly
>> increase engine performance and longevity: (1) valve adjustment
>> and, (2) a new O2 sensor. Neither of these issues has ever been
>> addressed over the life of the car. I have anecdotally heard that
>> a valve adjustment and/or new oxygen sensor could enhance
>> performance, but would like to hear it from someone out there in
>> the real world before shelling out real money. Thanks. - Paul
>>

>================
>
>Do you mean 'performance', or fuel economy. Your wording isn't clear.
>Valve adjustment should follow the manual's recommendation, (unless
>there is a known error, like the CRV manual) and the PCV often gets
>overlooked.
>
>Why not list the stuff you _have_ done?
>
>'Curly'



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 29 Nov 2004, 10:09 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Valve Job - O2 Sensor Question

Paul wrote:
> Hi Curly: Yeah, performance synonymous with fuel economy is
> on track. And, you know, "smoothness" in driving for lack of a
> better term. OK, here's a rundown on what's been done recently,
> all values in miles:
>
> 1) New plugs, Bosch Platinum +4 (don't laugh, 'cause they
> work great) at 175,000. These really made a difference.
> 2) New rotors at 175,000, after-market but they work fine.
> 3) Machined drums at 170,000
> 4) New brake pads/shoes/master cylinder at 170,000
> 5) New radiator / timing belt / water pump at 150,000
> 6 New radiator fan timer, engine coolant temp. sensor,
> gauge sender, fan sensor, and thermostat at 150,000.
> 7) New EGR valve/EGR solenoid/PCV valve at 135,000.
> 8) New tires (Michelin HydroEdge) so I don't go hydo-
> planing all over Canada like before with my 4mm
> Harmonys.
>
> So what's left? I'd love a transmission overhaul but can't afford it
> and don't know how to manage it myself. Maybe I'll take one of
> those six-week night classes at the local community college and
> learn how to do this. Seriously, I'd love to. Just don't have the
> time. So that's back to my original questions. Namely, what kind
> of benefit (or lack thereof) might a valve adjustment and/or new
> oxygen sensor have on this particular car? Thanks again. - Paul
>
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 19:27:58 -0700, "motsco_ _" <"motsco_
> _"@interbaun.com> wrote:
>
>
>>Paul wrote:
>>
>>>Greetings: I've got a '92 Accord (175,000 mi). Have been trying to
>>>really give it a thorough upgrading without a total overhaul, and just
>>>wondered if either or both of the following two things could possibly
>>>increase engine performance and longevity: (1) valve adjustment
>>>and, (2) a new O2 sensor. Neither of these issues has ever been
>>>addressed over the life of the car. I have anecdotally heard that
>>>a valve adjustment and/or new oxygen sensor could enhance
>>>performance, but would like to hear it from someone out there in
>>>the real world before shelling out real money. Thanks. - Paul
>>>

>>
>>================
>>
>>Do you mean 'performance', or fuel economy. Your wording isn't clear.
>>Valve adjustment should follow the manual's recommendation, (unless
>>there is a known error, like the CRV manual) and the PCV often gets
>>overlooked.
>>
>>Why not list the stuff you _have_ done?
>>
>>'Curly'

>


paul, there's not a massive amount of point in replacing the sensor
unless it's giving you trouble. but hey, it looks like you /want/ to do
it, so go ahead.

regarding valve clearance, i'm not sure about the accord, but the civics
specify 0.17-0.22mm inlet, 0.22-0.27mm exhaust as a range, with 0.20mm
& 0.25mm being typical. i have mine adjusted to the minimum of the
permissible range because it theoretically gives slightly extended valve
opening. the result is /definitely/ rougher idle, but arguably better
performance. i can [just] out-perform all other d15b2 hondas i've
encountered my vintage, but i can't guarantee that's solely attributable
to valve adjustment.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 29 Nov 2004, 11:20 pm
Paul
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Valve Job - O2 Sensor Question


Hi Jim: I really appreciate your input. It sounds like auto
tuning is a lot like just about everything else in life...it all
depends on what you want. Interesting about the idle on
your civic. Rougher but better performance on the one hand,
versus (I presume) smoother but less performance on the
other. Trade-offs, trade-offs, and more trade-offs. : )
Thanks again. - Paul


On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:09:41 -0800, jim beam <nospam@example.net>
wrote:

>Paul wrote:
>> Hi Curly: Yeah, performance synonymous with fuel economy is
>> on track. And, you know, "smoothness" in driving for lack of a
>> better term. OK, here's a rundown on what's been done recently,
>> all values in miles:
>>
>> 1) New plugs, Bosch Platinum +4 (don't laugh, 'cause they
>> work great) at 175,000. These really made a difference.
>> 2) New rotors at 175,000, after-market but they work fine.
>> 3) Machined drums at 170,000
>> 4) New brake pads/shoes/master cylinder at 170,000
>> 5) New radiator / timing belt / water pump at 150,000
>> 6 New radiator fan timer, engine coolant temp. sensor,
>> gauge sender, fan sensor, and thermostat at 150,000.
>> 7) New EGR valve/EGR solenoid/PCV valve at 135,000.
>> 8) New tires (Michelin HydroEdge) so I don't go hydo-
>> planing all over Canada like before with my 4mm
>> Harmonys.
>>
>> So what's left? I'd love a transmission overhaul but can't afford it
>> and don't know how to manage it myself. Maybe I'll take one of
>> those six-week night classes at the local community college and
>> learn how to do this. Seriously, I'd love to. Just don't have the
>> time. So that's back to my original questions. Namely, what kind
>> of benefit (or lack thereof) might a valve adjustment and/or new
>> oxygen sensor have on this particular car? Thanks again. - Paul
>>
>> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 19:27:58 -0700, "motsco_ _" <"motsco_
>> _"@interbaun.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Paul wrote:
>>>
>>>>Greetings: I've got a '92 Accord (175,000 mi). Have been trying to
>>>>really give it a thorough upgrading without a total overhaul, and just
>>>>wondered if either or both of the following two things could possibly
>>>>increase engine performance and longevity: (1) valve adjustment
>>>>and, (2) a new O2 sensor. Neither of these issues has ever been
>>>>addressed over the life of the car. I have anecdotally heard that
>>>>a valve adjustment and/or new oxygen sensor could enhance
>>>>performance, but would like to hear it from someone out there in
>>>>the real world before shelling out real money. Thanks. - Paul
>>>>
>>>
>>>================
>>>
>>>Do you mean 'performance', or fuel economy. Your wording isn't clear.
>>>Valve adjustment should follow the manual's recommendation, (unless
>>>there is a known error, like the CRV manual) and the PCV often gets
>>>overlooked.
>>>
>>>Why not list the stuff you _have_ done?
>>>
>>>'Curly'

>>

>
>paul, there's not a massive amount of point in replacing the sensor
>unless it's giving you trouble. but hey, it looks like you /want/ to do
>it, so go ahead.
>
>regarding valve clearance, i'm not sure about the accord, but the civics
> specify 0.17-0.22mm inlet, 0.22-0.27mm exhaust as a range, with 0.20mm
>& 0.25mm being typical. i have mine adjusted to the minimum of the
>permissible range because it theoretically gives slightly extended valve
> opening. the result is /definitely/ rougher idle, but arguably better
>performance. i can [just] out-perform all other d15b2 hondas i've
>encountered my vintage, but i can't guarantee that's solely attributable
>to valve adjustment.



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civic '90 DX 4dr - O2 sensor and PCV valve precambrian Honda 2 2 06 Mar 2006 09:50 am
91 Prelude Cylinder Position Indicator Sensor question (aka TDC sensor) san luis Honda 2 1 31 May 2005 08:35 pm
Integra GSR sensor question Jim Yanik Acura 2 07 May 2005 07:50 pm
2k4 civic o2 sensor question: Robbie Wilson Honda 2 0 13 Feb 2005 07:13 pm
IAC Valve Question Nick Honda 3 1 10 Jan 2005 07:51 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.