Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 21 Nov 2004, 02:42 am
FJvD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Head Bolts

Well I managed to get the dreaded pully nut off.. It too an entire
afternoo with a rattle gun and a big compressor.

And I then decided to pull the head and replace the head gasket.

So far I have managed to get 8 out of the 10 head bolts out. The other
two have been burred and the socket cannot get a grip.... Any ideas on
how I can get the last two hed bolts out??

Thanks guys

Frank
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 21 Nov 2004, 03:35 am
Caleb
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Head Bolts

FJvD wrote:
> Well I managed to get the dreaded pully nut off.. It too an entire
> afternoo with a rattle gun and a big compressor.
>
> And I then decided to pull the head and replace the head gasket.
>
> So far I have managed to get 8 out of the 10 head bolts out. The other
> two have been burred and the socket cannot get a grip.... Any ideas on
> how I can get the last two hed bolts out??
>
> Thanks guys
>
> Frank


How badly are the bolts rounded? are you using a 12 point or 6 point
socket? 6 point sockets are much stronger and wont round the bolt as
much. If a 6 point wont work then get the next size smaller and a hammer
(use a strong socket) also make sure its at least half inch drive,
preferable 1" and a big power bar
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 21 Nov 2004, 03:38 am
Caleb
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Head Bolts

Caleb wrote:
> FJvD wrote:
>
>> Well I managed to get the dreaded pully nut off.. It too an entire
>> afternoo with a rattle gun and a big compressor.
>>
>> And I then decided to pull the head and replace the head gasket.
>>
>> So far I have managed to get 8 out of the 10 head bolts out. The other
>> two have been burred and the socket cannot get a grip.... Any ideas on
>> how I can get the last two hed bolts out??
>>
>> Thanks guys
>>
>> Frank

>
>
> How badly are the bolts rounded? are you using a 12 point or 6 point
> socket? 6 point sockets are much stronger and wont round the bolt as
> much. If a 6 point wont work then get the next size smaller and a hammer
> (use a strong socket) also make sure its at least half inch drive,
> preferable 1" and a big power bar

also dont use an extension if you can help it and put pressure on the
socket pushing away from the way you are turning: (helps to use two people)

-socket
/* <- pressure
/
/
/ direction ->
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 21 Nov 2004, 06:43 am
FJvD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Head Bolts

Thanks Caleb!!

The last two head bolts came off by following your instructions. I'll
replace all the head bolts when I get time to put it all together
later this week.

Is there anything I should do while I have the head ofF?

Is it woth having it crack tested or hardness tested?

Thanks again.. You saved me a great deal of pain.. I have been telling
my wife what a great group this is for information... She wants to
know if anyone has advised me to get a towtruck and move it to a Honda
repairer yet?? (It is her car and it has been off the road for three
weeks now while I have been building up to getting the head off.

Thanks

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:35:48 +1300, Caleb <caleb@cet.co.nz> wrote:

>FJvD wrote:
>> Well I managed to get the dreaded pully nut off.. It too an entire
>> afternoo with a rattle gun and a big compressor.
>>
>> And I then decided to pull the head and replace the head gasket.
>>
>> So far I have managed to get 8 out of the 10 head bolts out. The other
>> two have been burred and the socket cannot get a grip.... Any ideas on
>> how I can get the last two hed bolts out??
>>
>> Thanks guys
>>
>> Frank

>
>How badly are the bolts rounded? are you using a 12 point or 6 point
>socket? 6 point sockets are much stronger and wont round the bolt as
>much. If a 6 point wont work then get the next size smaller and a hammer
>(use a strong socket) also make sure its at least half inch drive,
>preferable 1" and a big power bar


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 21 Nov 2004, 09:55 am
Jafir Elkurd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Head Bolts

What kind of car is it? 88-95 civics have an updated head gasket (and
bolts) you can use. You should always have the head surfaced after you have
removed it.... and it wouldn't hurt to pressure check it first and have the
valves faced.

"FJvD" <Frank> wrote in message
news:m331q0hm6nmgm5l11ultgmrhp6kp2b2k4u@4ax.com...
> Thanks Caleb!!
>
> The last two head bolts came off by following your instructions. I'll
> replace all the head bolts when I get time to put it all together
> later this week.
>
> Is there anything I should do while I have the head ofF?
>
> Is it woth having it crack tested or hardness tested?
>



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 21 Nov 2004, 10:46 am
Eightupman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Head Bolts

get the surface of the head planed at a local shop especially if you did not
take the bolts out in reverse order of torque sequence. You should also
consider having the valves reseated, and magnafluxed to look for cracks. I
ALWAYS replace head bolts on aluminum headed engines as a rule. You will be
suprised how much more power will be restored if you have the head gone
through completetly.


"FJvD" <Frank> wrote in message
news:m331q0hm6nmgm5l11ultgmrhp6kp2b2k4u@4ax.com...
> Thanks Caleb!!
>
> The last two head bolts came off by following your instructions. I'll
> replace all the head bolts when I get time to put it all together
> later this week.
>
> Is there anything I should do while I have the head ofF?
>
> Is it woth having it crack tested or hardness tested?
>
> Thanks again.. You saved me a great deal of pain.. I have been telling
> my wife what a great group this is for information... She wants to
> know if anyone has advised me to get a towtruck and move it to a Honda
> repairer yet?? (It is her car and it has been off the road for three
> weeks now while I have been building up to getting the head off.
>
> Thanks
>
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:35:48 +1300, Caleb <caleb@cet.co.nz> wrote:
>
> >FJvD wrote:
> >> Well I managed to get the dreaded pully nut off.. It too an entire
> >> afternoo with a rattle gun and a big compressor.
> >>
> >> And I then decided to pull the head and replace the head gasket.
> >>
> >> So far I have managed to get 8 out of the 10 head bolts out. The other
> >> two have been burred and the socket cannot get a grip.... Any ideas on
> >> how I can get the last two hed bolts out??
> >>
> >> Thanks guys
> >>
> >> Frank

> >
> >How badly are the bolts rounded? are you using a 12 point or 6 point
> >socket? 6 point sockets are much stronger and wont round the bolt as
> >much. If a 6 point wont work then get the next size smaller and a hammer
> >(use a strong socket) also make sure its at least half inch drive,
> >preferable 1" and a big power bar

>



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 21 Nov 2004, 10:46 am
kyle lallave
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Head Bolts

when i put on my new exhasut my bolts were also rounded...get a compressor
and a chivel and a air gun thing and have some new nolts of course
"FJvD" <Frank> wrote in message
news:s2l0q0pppjbmuc4uoe9dtq8vj8ud1l4iff@4ax.com...
> Well I managed to get the dreaded pully nut off.. It too an entire
> afternoo with a rattle gun and a big compressor.
>
> And I then decided to pull the head and replace the head gasket.
>
> So far I have managed to get 8 out of the 10 head bolts out. The other
> two have been burred and the socket cannot get a grip.... Any ideas on
> how I can get the last two hed bolts out??
>
> Thanks guys
>
> Frank



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 21 Nov 2004, 10:57 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Head Bolts

Jafir Elkurd wrote:
> What kind of car is it? 88-95 civics have an updated head gasket (and
> bolts) you can use. You should always have the head surfaced after you have
> removed it.... and it wouldn't hurt to pressure check it first and have the
> valves faced.


resurfacing an alloy head is not so easy. most shops try to use the
same tools/speeds they use for detroit iron & it doesn't work - the
material just bunches up in front of the cutter head causing deep
gouges, not clean cuts. after that, the new gasket goes on ok, but
starts leaking after a few hundred miles. you're better off just
cleaning the head surface carefully by hand with a putty knife. having
it tested & refinished by someone with the right equipment to factory
spec is real expensive.

>
> "FJvD" <Frank> wrote in message
> news:m331q0hm6nmgm5l11ultgmrhp6kp2b2k4u@4ax.com...
>
>>Thanks Caleb!!
>>
>>The last two head bolts came off by following your instructions. I'll
>>replace all the head bolts when I get time to put it all together
>>later this week.
>>
>>Is there anything I should do while I have the head ofF?
>>
>>Is it woth having it crack tested or hardness tested?
>>

>
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 21 Nov 2004, 11:33 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Head Bolts

Eightupman wrote:
> get the surface of the head planed at a local shop especially if you did not
> take the bolts out in reverse order of torque sequence. You should also
> consider having the valves reseated, and magnafluxed to look for cracks.


how do you magnaflux an alloy head?

> I
> ALWAYS replace head bolts on aluminum headed engines as a rule. You will be
> suprised how much more power will be restored if you have the head gone
> through completetly.
>
>
> "FJvD" <Frank> wrote in message
> news:m331q0hm6nmgm5l11ultgmrhp6kp2b2k4u@4ax.com...
>
>>Thanks Caleb!!
>>
>>The last two head bolts came off by following your instructions. I'll
>>replace all the head bolts when I get time to put it all together
>>later this week.
>>
>>Is there anything I should do while I have the head ofF?
>>
>>Is it woth having it crack tested or hardness tested?
>>
>>Thanks again.. You saved me a great deal of pain.. I have been telling
>>my wife what a great group this is for information... She wants to
>>know if anyone has advised me to get a towtruck and move it to a Honda
>>repairer yet?? (It is her car and it has been off the road for three
>>weeks now while I have been building up to getting the head off.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:35:48 +1300, Caleb <caleb@cet.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>FJvD wrote:
>>>
>>>>Well I managed to get the dreaded pully nut off.. It too an entire
>>>>afternoo with a rattle gun and a big compressor.
>>>>
>>>>And I then decided to pull the head and replace the head gasket.
>>>>
>>>>So far I have managed to get 8 out of the 10 head bolts out. The other
>>>>two have been burred and the socket cannot get a grip.... Any ideas on
>>>>how I can get the last two hed bolts out??
>>>>
>>>>Thanks guys
>>>>
>>>>Frank
>>>
>>>How badly are the bolts rounded? are you using a 12 point or 6 point
>>>socket? 6 point sockets are much stronger and wont round the bolt as
>>>much. If a 6 point wont work then get the next size smaller and a hammer
>>>(use a strong socket) also make sure its at least half inch drive,
>>>preferable 1" and a big power bar

>>

>
>


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 21 Nov 2004, 01:57 pm
Caleb
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Head Bolts

FJvD wrote:
> Thanks Caleb!!
>
> The last two head bolts came off by following your instructions. I'll
> replace all the head bolts when I get time to put it all together
> later this week.
>
> Is there anything I should do while I have the head ofF?
>
> Is it woth having it crack tested or hardness tested?
>
> Thanks again.. You saved me a great deal of pain.. I have been telling
> my wife what a great group this is for information... She wants to
> know if anyone has advised me to get a towtruck and move it to a Honda
> repairer yet?? (It is her car and it has been off the road for three
> weeks now while I have been building up to getting the head off.
>
> Thanks
>
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:35:48 +1300, Caleb <caleb@cet.co.nz> wrote:
>
>
>>FJvD wrote:
>>
>>>Well I managed to get the dreaded pully nut off.. It too an entire
>>>afternoo with a rattle gun and a big compressor.
>>>
>>>And I then decided to pull the head and replace the head gasket.
>>>
>>>So far I have managed to get 8 out of the 10 head bolts out. The other
>>>two have been burred and the socket cannot get a grip.... Any ideas on
>>>how I can get the last two hed bolts out??
>>>
>>>Thanks guys
>>>
>>>Frank

>>
>>How badly are the bolts rounded? are you using a 12 point or 6 point
>>socket? 6 point sockets are much stronger and wont round the bolt as
>>much. If a 6 point wont work then get the next size smaller and a hammer
>>(use a strong socket) also make sure its at least half inch drive,
>>preferable 1" and a big power bar

>
>


you should check the cylinder head to see if it is warped and get it
planed if it is, when you put it back on the block make sure you tighten
the bolts in the right order and use a torque wrench, while the head is
off its a good idea to replace the valve stem seals and reseat the
valves. once its back together you have a 1000k wear in period.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Let's Talk Turkey --- Head Bolts 'n Stuff Grumpy AuContraire Honda 2 23 25 Apr 2007 04:52 pm
water pump, head bolts on 90 accord EX Ryan Underwood Honda 2 13 18 May 2006 02:06 pm
water pump, head bolts on 90 accord EX Ryan Underwood Honda 3 13 18 May 2006 02:06 pm
89 Accord head & head gasket oil leak FunkyKev Honda 3 0 16 May 2006 02:27 am
Self Tightening Bolts, Self Locking Bolts karl Honda 2 13 29 Nov 2005 12:51 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.