Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 18 Nov 2004, 07:56 pm
Derek Lawler
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 1986 Honda Civic Sedan

This car has given us good service for the last 30k miles. We bought it
about 5 years ago with 50k on the odometer. It ran very well until a week
or so ago when it began with slippage, making the motor rev up when trying
to accelerate at about 30mph. I checked the fluid in the tranny. It was up
to the full mark and did not smell burned and looked clean. I tried making
it slip in the next lower gear from drive and it slipped but didn't slip in
the lowest gear. I don't think it is a linkage problem or a case of it
going into neutral as I first thought. The shop manual doesn't tell me much
except to take it to a professional. What do you advise? Thanking y'all in
advance.
Derek in Pompano Beach, Florida


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 18 Nov 2004, 11:36 pm
motsco_ _
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1986 Honda Civic Sedan

Derek Lawler wrote:
> This car has given us good service for the last 30k miles. We bought it
> about 5 years ago with 50k on the odometer. It ran very well until a week
> or so ago when it began with slippage, making the motor rev up when trying
> to accelerate at about 30mph. I checked the fluid in the tranny. It was up
> to the full mark and did not smell burned and looked clean. I tried making
> it slip in the next lower gear from drive and it slipped but didn't slip in
> the lowest gear. I don't think it is a linkage problem or a case of it
> going into neutral as I first thought. The shop manual doesn't tell me much
> except to take it to a professional. What do you advise? Thanking y'all in
> advance.
> Derek in Pompano Beach, Florida



---------------------------

Get it nicely warmed up, then immediately drain the tranny fluid for
several minutes, then start the engine and run it thru the gears for 15
seconds to pump out a bunch more. REplace the same amount with fresh
Honda Z1 ATF. Drive it for a week and do it again. Don't be too shocked
about the metal filings on the magnetic drain bolt.

I'm guessing we're talking about an automatic, right?

'Curly'

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 19 Nov 2004, 09:00 am
Derek Lawler
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1986 Honda Civic Sedan

Yes, automatic. I had wondered about changing the fluid but since it looked
okay I didn't. I will go ahead and take your advice though and see what
results I get. Thanks for responding.

Derek


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 19 Nov 2004, 11:33 am
motsco_ _
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1986 Honda Civic Sedan

Derek Lawler wrote:
> Yes, automatic. I had wondered about changing the fluid but since it looked
> okay I didn't. I will go ahead and take your advice though and see what
> results I get. Thanks for responding.
>
> Derek



=============

I had a vehicle with ATF that looked (and smelled) OK, but when i
drained it I could see it was creamy, from absorbed moisture. That
explained why that vehicle worked badly when it got way below freezing,
not to mention the damage that moisture might do inside a tranny...

'Curly'

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 19 Nov 2004, 06:08 pm
Derek Lawler
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1986 Honda Civic Sedan

I followed your procedure, Curly. Put the Honda on the ramps, blocked the
back wheels, ran the engine and shifted from drive to 2 then 3 and watched
more of the fluid leave the tranny. I replaced the ATF with Dexron III (2.5
qts.) and while I had it up I changed the oil and filter.
After driving a couple of miles it still slipped but not as bad. I think by
the time I drain it again and put in new fluid the little
holes/vents/valves/whatever will have opened up and she'll run like normal
again---I hope. The stuff I drained out had a brownish scum on it and it
was dark and thick. Couldn't tell that from the dipstick. Thanks again.
Derek


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 19 Nov 2004, 10:52 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1986 Honda Civic Sedan

Derek Lawler wrote:
> I followed your procedure, Curly. Put the Honda on the ramps, blocked the
> back wheels, ran the engine and shifted from drive to 2 then 3 and watched
> more of the fluid leave the tranny. I replaced the ATF with Dexron III (2.5
> qts.) and while I had it up I changed the oil and filter.
> After driving a couple of miles it still slipped but not as bad. I think by
> the time I drain it again and put in new fluid the little
> holes/vents/valves/whatever will have opened up and she'll run like normal
> again---I hope. The stuff I drained out had a brownish scum on it and it
> was dark and thick. Couldn't tell that from the dipstick. Thanks again.
> Derek
>


derek, curly said to replace it with honda z1 for a reason; honda
transmissions are don't use the same clutch mechanisms as other
automatics and need a special fluid to make them work properly. the
honda manual says you can use dexron temporarily, but you'll continue to
have problems until you use z1.

you need to change it at least twice because the capacity of the trans
is about 6 quarts, but you can only get about 2.5 out at any time, so
multiple changes are needed to "dilute" it clean rather than change it
clean.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 20 Nov 2004, 02:02 pm
Derek Lawler
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1986 Honda Civic Sedan

Thanks for the additional input. I thought since the manual said Dexron II
that using the Honda Z1 was just a brand name using same compound. I wish
the owner's manual and Haynes would have been more specific. Curly was
right on this, so now I drain again and get the Honda ATF Z1 and run through
two changes. When I called Honda I was on hold so long for service mgr I
hung up---should have asked for parts right away as they often can give
better information. The power steering fluid has to be a special Honda type
and is available in other places than Honda dealers, so why not the tranny
fluid?


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1986 Honda Civic 1.5 Stalls Derek Lawler Honda 2 0 04 Oct 2006 12:59 pm
1986 Honda Civic Transmission Repair Derek Lawler Honda 2 6 13 May 2006 09:47 am
1986 Honda Civic sandrastarkey2003 Honda 2 2 26 Nov 2003 04:58 am
obj: parts available for honda civic 1986 zappa fan Honda 2 0 15 Oct 2003 06:01 am
for sale 1986 honda civic 1.3 litre hatchback zappa fan Honda 2 0 28 Sep 2003 09:50 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.