Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09 Nov 2004, 08:18 pm
Sam Cormier
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 99 Honda Civic Ilde Problem

Hey guys it's winter here in Canada and when it's cold
or even below zero my 99 Civic likes to idle low (so low that it
shakes and the lights dim alot unless I pump her some gas).
A few times it's even stalled on me... This happens after driving
for 10 to 15 minutes even... it's fine from start. Another thing I should
mention is that after it stalls... and I restart it... it's fine... idle's
fine like
nothing even happened... wtf?

Anything simple I can check or replace before the Honda
guys rip me off bigtime??

Thanks!


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 13 Nov 2004, 09:40 pm
kyle lallave
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 99 Honda Civic Ilde Problem

as i told a guy earlier its cause u may wanna leave it running for awhile
cause it is prob frozen in some parts or really freaking cold that the
engine is just soo cold it will do that....maybe try synthetic oil maybe...
"Sam Cormier" <300zx@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
news:FTekd.175720$Np3.7085168@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
> Hey guys it's winter here in Canada and when it's cold
> or even below zero my 99 Civic likes to idle low (so low that it
> shakes and the lights dim alot unless I pump her some gas).
> A few times it's even stalled on me... This happens after driving
> for 10 to 15 minutes even... it's fine from start. Another thing I should
> mention is that after it stalls... and I restart it... it's fine... idle's
> fine like
> nothing even happened... wtf?
>
> Anything simple I can check or replace before the Honda
> guys rip me off bigtime??
>
> Thanks!
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 14 Nov 2004, 03:53 am
stylesandsmiles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 99 Honda Civic Ilde Problem

If you have been using your car for over 10,000 km's do not use synthetic
oil!
Contains too many detergents and will harm your engine!
Maybe it is time for a tune up?
Where in canada do you live?



"kyle lallave" <projectcivicsl@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
news:4tAld.2379$DE1.136424@twister.southeast.rr.co m...
> as i told a guy earlier its cause u may wanna leave it running for awhile
> cause it is prob frozen in some parts or really freaking cold that the
> engine is just soo cold it will do that....maybe try synthetic oil
> maybe...
> "Sam Cormier" <300zx@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> news:FTekd.175720$Np3.7085168@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
>> Hey guys it's winter here in Canada and when it's cold
>> or even below zero my 99 Civic likes to idle low (so low that it
>> shakes and the lights dim alot unless I pump her some gas).
>> A few times it's even stalled on me... This happens after driving
>> for 10 to 15 minutes even... it's fine from start. Another thing I
>> should
>> mention is that after it stalls... and I restart it... it's fine...
>> idle's
>> fine like
>> nothing even happened... wtf?
>>
>> Anything simple I can check or replace before the Honda
>> guys rip me off bigtime??
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>>

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 14 Nov 2004, 05:55 am
Steve Bigelow
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 99 Honda Civic Ilde Problem


"stylesandsmiles" <oelias0546@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:xJOdnYGz3NPasQrcRVn-3w@rogers.com...
> If you have been using your car for over 10,000 km's do not use synthetic
> oil!


Oops. Put synthetic in mine at 250,000kms.
Still purring at 293,000, in Ottawa's harsh climate.

> Contains too many detergents and will harm your engine!
> Maybe it is time for a tune up?
> Where in canada do you live?
>
>
>
> "kyle lallave" <projectcivicsl@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:4tAld.2379$DE1.136424@twister.southeast.rr.co m...
>> as i told a guy earlier its cause u may wanna leave it running for awhile
>> cause it is prob frozen in some parts or really freaking cold that the
>> engine is just soo cold it will do that....maybe try synthetic oil
>> maybe...
>> "Sam Cormier" <300zx@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
>> news:FTekd.175720$Np3.7085168@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
>>> Hey guys it's winter here in Canada and when it's cold
>>> or even below zero my 99 Civic likes to idle low (so low that it
>>> shakes and the lights dim alot unless I pump her some gas).
>>> A few times it's even stalled on me... This happens after driving
>>> for 10 to 15 minutes even... it's fine from start. Another thing I
>>> should
>>> mention is that after it stalls... and I restart it... it's fine...
>>> idle's
>>> fine like
>>> nothing even happened... wtf?
>>>
>>> Anything simple I can check or replace before the Honda
>>> guys rip me off bigtime??
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 14 Nov 2004, 06:06 am
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 99 Honda Civic Ilde Problem

The concern with the high detergency of synthetic oil comes from the risk of
seals leaking if they have hardened and are depending on deposits to
complete the seal. Normally this is in cars over 10 years old (although in
very hot climates seals may harden in as little as 5 years) and with a
history of infrequent oil changes. I have succesfully changed over engines
with more than 200K miles - my 1985 Volvo and my daughter's '93 Accord (at
210K miles). The Volvo spent most of its life in Phoenix but got regular oil
changes.

On balance, higher detergency is good for the engine as it prevents deposits
from building up. It isn't a good idea to change an engine to synthetic
*before* 10000 km because synthetic can lubricate too well, interfering with
proper break-in. This is apparently less of a problem with modern engines.

Mike

"stylesandsmiles" <oelias0546@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:xJOdnYGz3NPasQrcRVn-3w@rogers.com...
> If you have been using your car for over 10,000 km's do not use synthetic
> oil!
> Contains too many detergents and will harm your engine!
> Maybe it is time for a tune up?
> Where in canada do you live?
>
>
>
> "kyle lallave" <projectcivicsl@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:4tAld.2379$DE1.136424@twister.southeast.rr.co m...
>> as i told a guy earlier its cause u may wanna leave it running for awhile
>> cause it is prob frozen in some parts or really freaking cold that the
>> engine is just soo cold it will do that....maybe try synthetic oil
>> maybe...
>> "Sam Cormier" <300zx@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
>> news:FTekd.175720$Np3.7085168@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
>>> Hey guys it's winter here in Canada and when it's cold
>>> or even below zero my 99 Civic likes to idle low (so low that it
>>> shakes and the lights dim alot unless I pump her some gas).
>>> A few times it's even stalled on me... This happens after driving
>>> for 10 to 15 minutes even... it's fine from start. Another thing I
>>> should
>>> mention is that after it stalls... and I restart it... it's fine...
>>> idle's
>>> fine like
>>> nothing even happened... wtf?
>>>
>>> Anything simple I can check or replace before the Honda
>>> guys rip me off bigtime??
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 14 Nov 2004, 09:50 am
Sam Cormier
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 99 Honda Civic Ilde Problem

Well I use regular oil... it only happens after the engine "temp guage" has
warmed up to normal running temp. I've tried gas line antifreeze and
water remover... but she stalled on me last night on the way home...


"Michael Pardee" <michaeltnull@cybertrails.com> wrote in message
news:5sqdnR0liOXY1wrcRVn-rQ@sedona.net...
> The concern with the high detergency of synthetic oil comes from the risk
> of seals leaking if they have hardened and are depending on deposits to
> complete the seal. Normally this is in cars over 10 years old (although in
> very hot climates seals may harden in as little as 5 years) and with a
> history of infrequent oil changes. I have succesfully changed over engines
> with more than 200K miles - my 1985 Volvo and my daughter's '93 Accord (at
> 210K miles). The Volvo spent most of its life in Phoenix but got regular
> oil changes.
>
> On balance, higher detergency is good for the engine as it prevents
> deposits from building up. It isn't a good idea to change an engine to
> synthetic *before* 10000 km because synthetic can lubricate too well,
> interfering with proper break-in. This is apparently less of a problem
> with modern engines.
>
> Mike
>
> "stylesandsmiles" <oelias0546@rogers.com> wrote in message
> news:xJOdnYGz3NPasQrcRVn-3w@rogers.com...
>> If you have been using your car for over 10,000 km's do not use synthetic
>> oil!
>> Contains too many detergents and will harm your engine!
>> Maybe it is time for a tune up?
>> Where in canada do you live?
>>
>>
>>
>> "kyle lallave" <projectcivicsl@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
>> news:4tAld.2379$DE1.136424@twister.southeast.rr.co m...
>>> as i told a guy earlier its cause u may wanna leave it running for
>>> awhile
>>> cause it is prob frozen in some parts or really freaking cold that the
>>> engine is just soo cold it will do that....maybe try synthetic oil
>>> maybe...
>>> "Sam Cormier" <300zx@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
>>> news:FTekd.175720$Np3.7085168@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
>>>> Hey guys it's winter here in Canada and when it's cold
>>>> or even below zero my 99 Civic likes to idle low (so low that it
>>>> shakes and the lights dim alot unless I pump her some gas).
>>>> A few times it's even stalled on me... This happens after driving
>>>> for 10 to 15 minutes even... it's fine from start. Another thing I
>>>> should
>>>> mention is that after it stalls... and I restart it... it's fine...
>>>> idle's
>>>> fine like
>>>> nothing even happened... wtf?
>>>>
>>>> Anything simple I can check or replace before the Honda
>>>> guys rip me off bigtime??
>>>>
>>>> Thanks!
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 14 Nov 2004, 03:49 pm
motsco_ _
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 99 Honda Civic Ilde Problem

Sam Cormier wrote:
> Hey guys it's winter here in Canada and when it's cold
> or even below zero my 99 Civic likes to idle low (so low that it
> shakes and the lights dim alot unless I pump her some gas).
> A few times it's even stalled on me... This happens after driving
> for 10 to 15 minutes even... it's fine from start. Another thing I should
> mention is that after it stalls... and I restart it... it's fine... idle's
> fine like
> nothing even happened... wtf?
>
> Anything simple I can check or replace before the Honda
> guys rip me off bigtime??
>
> Thanks!
>
> ====================


Try changing the PCV by yourself, and run two tanks of gasohol thru it.
You didn't say if you've had the battery disconnected lately, but maybe
you need to do a 'ECU reset' by pulling the radio / back-up fuse for ten
seconds. Do a search for the full story.

'Curly'

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 17 Nov 2004, 09:44 am
Kesal
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 99 Honda Civic Ilde Problem

I think that the whole oil discussion may be going down the wrong track. I
recently solved a similar problem in my 95 Civic. It turned out that I had
a vacuum leak in my idle air control valve (I believe it might be called
the "Electronic Air control Valve" EACV in a 99 Civic).

When you first start up, there's an additional valve, the fast idle valve,
that opens to provide extra air to the engine until it warms up. Which is
why you're OK off a cold start, and only have problems after the engine
warms up and the fast idle valve closes.

I got a replacement valve, and my car has never run so well. Maybe your
problem is something different, but if the Honda guys tell you it's your
EACV, I'd believe them.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
95 Honda Civic Speedometer problem GLC Honda 2 1 05 Jul 2006 10:34 am
A/C Problem 99 Honda Civic EX Ldap6969 Honda 3 0 10 Jan 2006 10:32 pm
91 Honda Civic tachometer problem(?) fart Honda 3 6 17 Nov 2005 09:50 am
1992 Honda Civic VSS(?) problem fart Honda 3 9 25 May 2005 07:42 am
Re: 01 Honda Civic Problem Chris & Brandie Honda 2 0 02 Jul 2003 02:06 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.