Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05 Nov 2004, 09:59 am
Alex Marcuzzi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default High NOx and CO reading

I just failed my emission test with high NOx and CO readings on a 1994
Accord. Does anyone have any advice as to what could be causing this high
readings.

Thanks
Alex


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05 Nov 2004, 07:14 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: High NOx and CO reading

That is an odd combo. Timing and mixture factors usually raise one while
lowering the other.

My suspicion is that the catalytic converter is kaput - assuming it is a 3
stage cat. It is a common cause of high NOx and can certainly produce high
CO by virtue of not breaking each of those down. I mention about the 3-stage
cat because the third stage - when used - is to break down NOx.

Basically, NOx comes from advanced ignition or lean mixture, while CO comes
from rich mixture.

Mike

"Alex Marcuzzi" <amarc@aei.ca> wrote in message
news:418ba23d$1_4@aeinews....
>I just failed my emission test with high NOx and CO readings on a 1994
>Accord. Does anyone have any advice as to what could be causing this high
>readings.
>
> Thanks
> Alex
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06 Nov 2004, 06:52 pm
Chip Stein
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: High NOx and CO reading

"Michael Pardee" <michaeltnull@cybertrails.com> wrote in message news:<Wq2dnbWuk-QOuBHcRVn-2A@sedona.net>...
> That is an odd combo. Timing and mixture factors usually raise one while
> lowering the other.
>
> My suspicion is that the catalytic converter is kaput - assuming it is a 3
> stage cat. It is a common cause of high NOx and can certainly produce high
> CO by virtue of not breaking each of those down. I mention about the 3-stage
> cat because the third stage - when used - is to break down NOx.
>
> Basically, NOx comes from advanced ignition or lean mixture, while CO comes
> from rich mixture.
>
> Mike
>
> "Alex Marcuzzi" <amarc@aei.ca> wrote in message
> news:418ba23d$1_4@aeinews....
> >I just failed my emission test with high NOx and CO readings on a 1994
> >Accord. Does anyone have any advice as to what could be causing this high
> >readings.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Alex
> >



egr ports are plugged, have to slide hammer out the plugs, clean
the ports and replug.
the egr system is in place to reduce nox, which is caused by
pressure and high temps.
Chip
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06 Nov 2004, 10:10 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: High NOx and CO reading


"Chip Stein" <chip@chipanddebby.com> wrote in message
news:5ddcea74.0411061652.2d0e7981@posting.google.c om...
> "Michael Pardee" <michaeltnull@cybertrails.com> wrote in message
> news:<Wq2dnbWuk-QOuBHcRVn-2A@sedona.net>...
>> That is an odd combo. Timing and mixture factors usually raise one while
>> lowering the other.
>>
>> My suspicion is that the catalytic converter is kaput - assuming it is a
>> 3
>> stage cat. It is a common cause of high NOx and can certainly produce
>> high
>> CO by virtue of not breaking each of those down. I mention about the
>> 3-stage
>> cat because the third stage - when used - is to break down NOx.
>>
>> Basically, NOx comes from advanced ignition or lean mixture, while CO
>> comes
>> from rich mixture.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> "Alex Marcuzzi" <amarc@aei.ca> wrote in message
>> news:418ba23d$1_4@aeinews....
>> >I just failed my emission test with high NOx and CO readings on a 1994
>> >Accord. Does anyone have any advice as to what could be causing this
>> >high
>> >readings.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Alex
>> >

>
>
> egr ports are plugged, have to slide hammer out the plugs, clean
> the ports and replug.
> the egr system is in place to reduce nox, which is caused by
> pressure and high temps.
> Chip


Although that doesn't explain the CO. Still, EGR is cheaper than a cat!

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08 Nov 2004, 03:43 am
Ricky Spartacus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: High NOx and CO reading

"Alex Marcuzzi" <amarc@aei.ca> wrote in message news:418ba23d$1_4@aeinews....

> I just failed my emission test with high NOx and readings on a 1994
> Accord. Does anyone have any advice as to what could be causing this high
> readings. Thanks Alex


CO is high, could be an inoperative O2 sensor. NOx is high, could
be an inoperative EGR valve, carbon deposits, over advanced timing,
cooling system too hot, lean mixture, cat-converter, or any mixture of
the above. An inoperative O2 sensor could have worn out the cat-
converter.





Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear Reading Lights hberry Honda 2 0 06 Sep 2006 10:40 pm
Rear Reading Light hberry Acura 0 05 Sep 2006 06:29 pm
Faulty outside temperature reading Ed Honda 1 0 20 Dec 2004 12:28 pm
changing speedo reading epson2 Honda 3 1 08 Sep 2004 10:55 pm
Incorrect Speedometer reading Randall Fox Honda 3 16 28 Jul 2004 09:51 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.