Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02 Nov 2004, 06:20 am
stylesandsmiles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Cold air intake kits? do they work?

Do cold air intakes work?
Does size, make or brand name matter?
Will I notice a difference in power, sound? or is that a myth?
Does this save gas, or is that another myth?


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02 Nov 2004, 08:07 am
PT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cold air intake kits? do they work?

No,
No,
No,
No,
It is just a waiste of money.If you want"power" buy a muscle car...not a
cold air intake.Put a type"R" sticker...it will do the trick! ;-)

"stylesandsmiles" <oelias0546@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:YI6dnUdFZebk5hrcRVn-rQ@rogers.com...
> Do cold air intakes work?
> Does size, make or brand name matter?
> Will I notice a difference in power, sound? or is that a myth?
> Does this save gas, or is that another myth?
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02 Nov 2004, 09:23 am
Jamco
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cold air intake kits? do they work?

yes they do make a difference, and do change the sound. They make a small
difference, but when you contiune to add more mods it becomes more
noticable.
"PT" <no_spam@haha.ha> wrote in message
news:wwMhd.10549$dj2.479114@news20.bellglobal.com. ..
> No,
> No,
> No,
> No,
> It is just a waiste of money.If you want"power" buy a muscle car...not a
> cold air intake.Put a type"R" sticker...it will do the trick! ;-)
>
> "stylesandsmiles" <oelias0546@rogers.com> wrote in message
> news:YI6dnUdFZebk5hrcRVn-rQ@rogers.com...
>> Do cold air intakes work?
>> Does size, make or brand name matter?
>> Will I notice a difference in power, sound? or is that a myth?
>> Does this save gas, or is that another myth?
>>
>>

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03 Nov 2004, 12:53 am
chris
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cold air intake kits? do they work?

PT If you don't know why post!

http://www.tprmag.com/

Tuner Performance Reports did a test on Short ram Air and Cold Air Intakes
in one of there back issues.

http://www.tprmag.com/issue/1/1_intakes.shtml

chris




"Jamco" <Homer@jamco.com> wrote in message
news:1ENhd.84582$9b.1605@edtnps84...
> yes they do make a difference, and do change the sound. They make a small
> difference, but when you contiune to add more mods it becomes more
> noticable.
> "PT" <no_spam@haha.ha> wrote in message
> news:wwMhd.10549$dj2.479114@news20.bellglobal.com. ..
> > No,
> > No,
> > No,
> > No,
> > It is just a waiste of money.If you want"power" buy a muscle car...not a
> > cold air intake.Put a type"R" sticker...it will do the trick! ;-)
> >
> > "stylesandsmiles" <oelias0546@rogers.com> wrote in message
> > news:YI6dnUdFZebk5hrcRVn-rQ@rogers.com...
> >> Do cold air intakes work?
> >> Does size, make or brand name matter?
> >> Will I notice a difference in power, sound? or is that a myth?
> >> Does this save gas, or is that another myth?
> >>
> >>

> >
> >

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03 Nov 2004, 04:01 am
stylesandsmiles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cold air intake kits? do they work?

I understand that this market place is trying to suck out as much money from
the consumer as they can. I was told it would only make a difference If I
installed a larger exhaust system.

"chris" <fieroman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:aDYhd.15462$dj2.752741@news20.bellglobal.com. ..
> PT If you don't know why post!
>
> http://www.tprmag.com/
>
> Tuner Performance Reports did a test on Short ram Air and Cold Air Intakes
> in one of there back issues.
>
> http://www.tprmag.com/issue/1/1_intakes.shtml
>
> chris
>
>
>
>
> "Jamco" <Homer@jamco.com> wrote in message
> news:1ENhd.84582$9b.1605@edtnps84...
>> yes they do make a difference, and do change the sound. They make a
>> small
>> difference, but when you contiune to add more mods it becomes more
>> noticable.
>> "PT" <no_spam@haha.ha> wrote in message
>> news:wwMhd.10549$dj2.479114@news20.bellglobal.com. ..
>> > No,
>> > No,
>> > No,
>> > No,
>> > It is just a waiste of money.If you want"power" buy a muscle car...not
>> > a
>> > cold air intake.Put a type"R" sticker...it will do the trick! ;-)
>> >
>> > "stylesandsmiles" <oelias0546@rogers.com> wrote in message
>> > news:YI6dnUdFZebk5hrcRVn-rQ@rogers.com...
>> >> Do cold air intakes work?
>> >> Does size, make or brand name matter?
>> >> Will I notice a difference in power, sound? or is that a myth?
>> >> Does this save gas, or is that another myth?
>> >>
>> >>
>> >
>> >

>>
>>

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03 Nov 2004, 01:44 pm
PT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cold air intake kits? do they work?

I heard something like that too.More air in=needs more air out,makes
senses.Also they said something about computer chip?
But still i think it is just more for the look and sounds...and money.

P.S. By the way a own a 95 civic CX.
"stylesandsmiles" <oelias0546@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:0vWdnV_UQOLnMRXcRVn-3A@rogers.com...
>I understand that this market place is trying to suck out as much money
>from the consumer as they can. I was told it would only make a difference
>If I installed a larger exhaust system.
>
> "chris" <fieroman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:aDYhd.15462$dj2.752741@news20.bellglobal.com. ..
>> PT If you don't know why post!
>>
>> http://www.tprmag.com/
>>
>> Tuner Performance Reports did a test on Short ram Air and Cold Air
>> Intakes
>> in one of there back issues.
>>
>> http://www.tprmag.com/issue/1/1_intakes.shtml
>>
>> chris
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> "Jamco" <Homer@jamco.com> wrote in message
>> news:1ENhd.84582$9b.1605@edtnps84...
>>> yes they do make a difference, and do change the sound. They make a
>>> small
>>> difference, but when you contiune to add more mods it becomes more
>>> noticable.
>>> "PT" <no_spam@haha.ha> wrote in message
>>> news:wwMhd.10549$dj2.479114@news20.bellglobal.com. ..
>>> > No,
>>> > No,
>>> > No,
>>> > No,
>>> > It is just a waiste of money.If you want"power" buy a muscle car...not
>>> > a
>>> > cold air intake.Put a type"R" sticker...it will do the trick! ;-)
>>> >
>>> > "stylesandsmiles" <oelias0546@rogers.com> wrote in message
>>> > news:YI6dnUdFZebk5hrcRVn-rQ@rogers.com...
>>> >> Do cold air intakes work?
>>> >> Does size, make or brand name matter?
>>> >> Will I notice a difference in power, sound? or is that a myth?
>>> >> Does this save gas, or is that another myth?
>>> >>
>>> >>
>>> >
>>> >
>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03 Nov 2004, 04:17 pm
Eightupman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cold air intake kits? do they work?

OK kids....imagine an engine...ANY engine as an air pump with a little fuel
and spark thrown in to make power. If you open up the intake AND the
exhaust, you will get more HP. You will also burn more fuel. Going with
just an intake is NOT the way to hop up the performance. You also need a
header, a performance cat, and a larger cat back system. If you balance the
upgrades PROPERLY, you can get more HP. You can also get an adjustable
timing gear to tweak the valve timing (for the professional or the highly
knowledgeable) and squeeze a bit more out of an otherwise stock motor.


"stylesandsmiles" <oelias0546@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:YI6dnUdFZebk5hrcRVn-rQ@rogers.com...
> Do cold air intakes work?
> Does size, make or brand name matter?
> Will I notice a difference in power, sound? or is that a myth?
> Does this save gas, or is that another myth?
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03 Nov 2004, 07:08 pm
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cold air intake kits? do they work?

"PT" <no_spam@haha.ha> wrote in
news:Fyaid.19268$dj2.920522@news20.bellglobal.com:

> I heard something like that too.More air in=needs more air out,makes
> senses.


But is the stock intake a greater restriction than the stock exhaust is?
It may be,in order to reduce intake noise and tune for more torque at low
RPMs.

> Also they said something about computer chip?
> But still i think it is just more for the look and sounds...and money.


I got a very noticeable increase in power with my CAI on my 94 GSR,and
Honda Tuning Magazine measured +20 hp on an RSX-s with their dyno tests.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03 Nov 2004, 07:11 pm
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cold air intake kits? do they work?

"Eightupman" <eightupman@newemail.com> wrote in
news:hOcid.21359$YL.2126012@twister.southeast.rr.c om:

> OK kids....imagine an engine...ANY engine as an air pump with a little
> fuel and spark thrown in to make power. If you open up the intake AND
> the exhaust, you will get more HP. You will also burn more fuel.
> Going with just an intake is NOT the way to hop up the performance.



Depends. If the intake is the greater restriction,then you will still see
improvements.Also,the intake air is COOLER,thus more *dense* a charge for
the same VOLUME,and has more O2,allowing more fuel.

Honda Tuning Magazine got +20 HP gains on an RSX-s with each of 2 different
CAIs. On a DYNO,no exhaust mods.That disproves your statement.



--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03 Nov 2004, 08:23 pm
Eightupman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cold air intake kits? do they work?

True, ,to a point.....most of the time volume will depend on the combustion
chamber size......that is were the mix is so that is the most critical
element...and turbulance in for good fuel mix, ,and smooth flow out.

"Jim Yanik" <jyanik@abuse.gov.> wrote in message
news:Xns9596CD35763F7jyanikkuanet@129.250.170.83.. .
> "Eightupman" <eightupman@newemail.com> wrote in
> news:hOcid.21359$YL.2126012@twister.southeast.rr.c om:
>
> > OK kids....imagine an engine...ANY engine as an air pump with a little
> > fuel and spark thrown in to make power. If you open up the intake AND
> > the exhaust, you will get more HP. You will also burn more fuel.
> > Going with just an intake is NOT the way to hop up the performance.

>
>
> Depends. If the intake is the greater restriction,then you will still see
> improvements.Also,the intake air is COOLER,thus more *dense* a charge for
> the same VOLUME,and has more O2,allowing more fuel.
>
> Honda Tuning Magazine got +20 HP gains on an RSX-s with each of 2

different
> CAIs. On a DYNO,no exhaust mods.That disproves your statement.
>
>
>
> --
> Jim Yanik
> jyanik-at-kua.net



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COLD AIR INTAKE 02civic Honda 2 2 14 Jul 2007 07:52 am
Windshield Repair Kits - do they work well? techman41973@yahoo.com Honda 3 12 07 Jun 2007 03:32 pm
Re: cold air intake mrcheapyasui@gmail.com Honda 3 0 09 Jan 2005 01:23 am
Cold Air Intake James Honda 2 11 10 Jun 2004 05:04 pm
RSX cold air intake for $30? Natty_Dread Acura 19 11 Dec 2003 12:58 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.