Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 25 Feb 2010, 10:17 am
Wade
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Check Out Fees

When I went to the Honda dealer for my ignition problem, at the place
where I sign the service sheet, he had written in, $100 ck. out.
He explained they charge $100 to "check out" things, and it will be
waived if they find something.
What are other dealers charging for this "check out" fee?
Sort of feels like a rip to me.
Wade
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 25 Feb 2010, 01:49 pm
Dano58
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Check Out Fees

On Feb 25, 11:17*am, Wade <wcpu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When I went to the Honda dealer for my ignition problem, at the place
> where I sign the service sheet, he had written in, $100 ck. out.
> He explained they charge $100 to "check out" things, and it will be
> waived if they find something.
> What are other dealers charging for this "check out" fee?
> Sort of feels like a rip to me.
> Wade


Well, many shops charge a diagnostic fee to figure out your problem
(frequently, it takes 5 minutes to hook up the computer, run it and
come up with the diagnosis) and many places will not charge you if
there is indeed something wrong (or they can convince you that there
is) and you get it fixed. My independent shop generally charges $65.

Dan D
'07 Ody EX
Central NJ USA
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 25 Feb 2010, 07:40 pm
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Check Out Fees

In article
<b6f84aec-0c46-4a99-9d25-084e6243d4a3@y17g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
Wade <wcpunch@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I went to the Honda dealer for my ignition problem, at the place
> where I sign the service sheet, he had written in, $100 ck. out.
> He explained they charge $100 to "check out" things, and it will be
> waived if they find something.
> What are other dealers charging for this "check out" fee?
> Sort of feels like a rip to me.
> Wade


It is a rip.

They're on a fishing expedition, AND they want to charge you for it.

Ask him to check your muffler bearings.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 25 Feb 2010, 08:07 pm
News
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Check Out Fees

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article
> <b6f84aec-0c46-4a99-9d25-084e6243d4a3@y17g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
> Wade <wcpunch@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> When I went to the Honda dealer for my ignition problem, at the place
>> where I sign the service sheet, he had written in, $100 ck. out.
>> He explained they charge $100 to "check out" things, and it will be
>> waived if they find something.
>> What are other dealers charging for this "check out" fee?
>> Sort of feels like a rip to me.
>> Wade

>
> It is a rip.


Time to "check out" a new service facility.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 27 Feb 2010, 06:40 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Check Out Fees

Wade <wcpunch@gmail.com> wrote in news:b6f84aec-0c46-4a99-9d25-084e6243d4a3
@y17g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

> When I went to the Honda dealer for my ignition problem, at the place
> where I sign the service sheet, he had written in, $100 ck. out.
> He explained they charge $100 to "check out" things, and it will be
> waived if they find something.
> What are other dealers charging for this "check out" fee?
> Sort of feels like a rip to me.
> Wade




Most dealers will charge a diagnostics fee for "checking out" a reported
problem. It keeps the time-wasting hypochondriacs and serial-shoppers away,
and makes sure the garage will spend its time diagnosing problems that
they'll actually get paid for.

Time-wasters are a huge problem for most dealerships, so you have to have
some way of making sure they're kept at bay. Otherwise the techs will spend
half their day working for nothing.

I know of no garage that will NOT waive the diag fee if they actually find
a problem.

Independents, and chain stores like Midas, have a different approach: they
offer "free" inspections, to /encourage/ you to bring your car in for
diagnostics that you will get for "free". But they make their money off
that by making sure their "free" inspection finds something wrong that is
in dire need of repair.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 27 Feb 2010, 09:05 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Check Out Fees

On 02/27/2010 04:40 AM, Tegger wrote:
> Wade<wcpunch@gmail.com> wrote in news:b6f84aec-0c46-4a99-9d25-084e6243d4a3
> @y17g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:
>
>> When I went to the Honda dealer for my ignition problem, at the place
>> where I sign the service sheet, he had written in, $100 ck. out.
>> He explained they charge $100 to "check out" things, and it will be
>> waived if they find something.
>> What are other dealers charging for this "check out" fee?
>> Sort of feels like a rip to me.
>> Wade

>
>
>
> Most dealers will charge a diagnostics fee for "checking out" a reported
> problem. It keeps the time-wasting hypochondriacs and serial-shoppers away,
> and makes sure the garage will spend its time diagnosing problems that
> they'll actually get paid for.
>
> Time-wasters are a huge problem for most dealerships, so you have to have
> some way of making sure they're kept at bay. Otherwise the techs will spend
> half their day working for nothing.
>
> I know of no garage that will NOT waive the diag fee if they actually find
> a problem.
>
> Independents, and chain stores like Midas, have a different approach: they
> offer "free" inspections, to /encourage/ you to bring your car in for
> diagnostics that you will get for "free". But they make their money off
> that by making sure their "free" inspection


edit insert: "ALWAYS"


> finds something wrong that is
> in dire need of repair.
>
>



--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 27 Feb 2010, 11:35 pm
Wade
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Replacing front brake pads on '99 Accord LX 4 dr 5 spd

On Feb 25, 7:40*pm, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <el...@nastydesigns.com>
wrote:
> In article
> <b6f84aec-0c46-4a99-9d25-084e6243d...@y17g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
>
> It is a rip.
>
> They're on a fishing expedition, AND they want to charge you for it.
>
> Ask him to check your muffler bearings.


Haha

Of course he told me my front pads were thin, which I already knew. I
first
replaced the front pads at about 82k and I still have wear left on the
2nd set at 172k.

The rotors were not turned at 82k.[and never have been] I have no
issues with the brakes, is there any real need to turn the rotors??
There's no pulling or shuddering when I brake.

When I am parked and the engine is off, and depress the brake pedal,
when I release the pedal, I hear a squeak, what is that and how do I
get rid of it?

Wade
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 28 Feb 2010, 07:17 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Replacing front brake pads on '99 Accord LX 4 dr 5 spd

Wade <wcpunch@gmail.com> wrote in news:07caa00c-ecef-4078-a5fd-e56e373056a4
@d2g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

>
> When I am parked and the engine is off, and depress the brake pedal,
> when I release the pedal, I hear a squeak, what is that and how do I
> get rid of it?




Probably the brake pedal pivots. Give them a shot of spray white grease and
see if the noise goes away.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1991 honda civic-Check engine light is on-how do i check it? Jonny Mick Honda Technical 3 01 Oct 2007 05:30 pm
lease fees for accord Dr Nick Honda 2 3 06 Dec 2005 01:32 pm
lease fees? Dr Nick Honda 3 0 04 Dec 2005 06:12 pm
97' Honda Passport w/ check trans and check engine light on Nutt Honda 2 2 13 May 2004 07:53 pm
New California fees in September boe Honda 2 4 28 Aug 2003 11:17 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.