Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 17 Oct 2004, 10:34 pm
Ralph
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 88 Accord, Poor Compression, Chugging sound at exhaust

I have an 88 Honda Accord with 371,000 KM on it and I think the problem is
that it is basically worn out. The compression on all cylinders is between
75 & 90 psi. It is suppose to be at least 141 according to the manual. The
timing belt needed changing so I did that job a couple of weeks ago but no
change in the symptoms. There is a chugging/puffing sound that comes out the
exhaust. I am thinking that this would be caused by exhaust valves that are
not seating. I have checked valve clearance and they are all set within
specs. I am assuming that the problem is a new head assembly and not rings
as it doesn't burn oil. I have heard that the catalytic converter plugs up
on these older vehicles and that I should remove it and put in a straight
pipe. No emission testing where I live, so that may be the cheapest next
step. Anyone else had a similar situation?


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 18 Oct 2004, 12:55 pm
Grumpy au Contraire
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 88 Accord, Poor Compression, Chugging sound at exhaust



Ralph wrote:
>
> I have an 88 Honda Accord with 371,000 KM on it and I think the problem is
> that it is basically worn out. The compression on all cylinders is between
> 75 & 90 psi. It is suppose to be at least 141 according to the manual. The
> timing belt needed changing so I did that job a couple of weeks ago but no
> change in the symptoms. There is a chugging/puffing sound that comes out the
> exhaust. I am thinking that this would be caused by exhaust valves that are
> not seating. I have checked valve clearance and they are all set within
> specs. I am assuming that the problem is a new head assembly and not rings
> as it doesn't burn oil. I have heard that the catalytic converter plugs up
> on these older vehicles and that I should remove it and put in a straight
> pipe. No emission testing where I live, so that may be the cheapest next
> step. Anyone else had a similar situation?




If you don't have emissions testing requirements, remove the converter,
cut a hole in the top and dump the contents. Re weld a patch over the
previously cut hole and press on... However, I suspect that a set of
rings, valve job, and new bearings would be a major contributor to a
better running vehicle as well...


--
JT

Just tooling through cyberspace in my ancient G4
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 18 Oct 2004, 10:26 pm
James M. Kelly
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 88 Accord, Poor Compression, Chugging sound at exhaust

I also had a 88 LXI and sold it three years ago with 378,000 miles on it.
Hopefully it is still running around town with over 400,000 miles on it. At
200K, I was blowing a lot of oil. I had the engine block slit, baked and
the face planed. After three attempt we put in over sized pistons because
of a waiver in the wall, and one piston was still blowing oil. The
difference in the initial estimate was $200 less than for a remanunfactured
short block. The dealership ate more than the $200 to get it right after
three attempts. The short block looking back should and was the correct
fix. The final outcome was more power and another 178,000 miles. A car
this old everything shrinks, cracks, or falls apart when you touch it. Give
it the respect it deserves and park in the driveway and just sit in it and
play the radio once in a while--no kidding.
"Ralph" <ralph.topliffe@shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:qRGcd.747345$M95.417612@pd7tw1no...
> I have an 88 Honda Accord with 371,000 KM on it and I think the problem is
> that it is basically worn out. The compression on all cylinders is between
> 75 & 90 psi. It is suppose to be at least 141 according to the manual. The
> timing belt needed changing so I did that job a couple of weeks ago but no
> change in the symptoms. There is a chugging/puffing sound that comes out

the
> exhaust. I am thinking that this would be caused by exhaust valves that

are
> not seating. I have checked valve clearance and they are all set within
> specs. I am assuming that the problem is a new head assembly and not rings
> as it doesn't burn oil. I have heard that the catalytic converter plugs up
> on these older vehicles and that I should remove it and put in a straight
> pipe. No emission testing where I live, so that may be the cheapest next
> step. Anyone else had a similar situation?
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 24 Oct 2004, 11:39 pm
Ralph
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 88 Accord, Poor Compression, Chugging sound at exhaust

As a follow-up to my original post, the problem has now been found. The
compression test was redone using a gauge with a thread adaptor into the
spark plug hole. This set of tests were good, between 160 and 165 on all
four cylinders. The contents of the Catalytic converter have been removed
and leaving the shell in place. Spark has been verified on all four
cylinders. With the engine running, the ignition wire was removed from the
#3 cylinder without any noticeable difference in engine speed. #3 cylinder
was dead, but had good compression and spark. Ran the engine with #3 spark
plug removed and the air expelled through the spark plug hole lacked the
smell of "gas", just plain air. This is a carburetored engine, how can 3
cylinders get fuel/air mixture but the one cylinder doesn't, that was the
question. In close examination of the face between the intake manifold and
the cylinder head (at #3 cylinder intake port), a small section of gasket
seemed to have vanished. This was confirmed with a fine wire that could be
pushed between the two surfaces. At high speed or under full throttle there
is enough fuel going through the carb and the leak is small enough that the
problem is barely noticeable. If the gasket gap had been on the bottom side
of the intake manifold, it is doubtful that it would have been detected.

"James M. Kelly" <jmkelly02@charter.net> wrote in message
news:10n92llldmive5@corp.supernews.com...
> I also had a 88 LXI and sold it three years ago with 378,000 miles on it.
> Hopefully it is still running around town with over 400,000 miles on it.

At
> 200K, I was blowing a lot of oil. I had the engine block slit, baked and
> the face planed. After three attempt we put in over sized pistons because
> of a waiver in the wall, and one piston was still blowing oil. The
> difference in the initial estimate was $200 less than for a

remanunfactured
> short block. The dealership ate more than the $200 to get it right after
> three attempts. The short block looking back should and was the correct
> fix. The final outcome was more power and another 178,000 miles. A car
> this old everything shrinks, cracks, or falls apart when you touch it.

Give
> it the respect it deserves and park in the driveway and just sit in it and
> play the radio once in a while--no kidding.
> "Ralph" <ralph.topliffe@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> news:qRGcd.747345$M95.417612@pd7tw1no...
> > I have an 88 Honda Accord with 371,000 KM on it and I think the problem

is
> > that it is basically worn out. The compression on all cylinders is

between
> > 75 & 90 psi. It is suppose to be at least 141 according to the manual.

The
> > timing belt needed changing so I did that job a couple of weeks ago but

no
> > change in the symptoms. There is a chugging/puffing sound that comes out

> the
> > exhaust. I am thinking that this would be caused by exhaust valves that

> are
> > not seating. I have checked valve clearance and they are all set within
> > specs. I am assuming that the problem is a new head assembly and not

rings
> > as it doesn't burn oil. I have heard that the catalytic converter plugs

up
> > on these older vehicles and that I should remove it and put in a

straight
> > pipe. No emission testing where I live, so that may be the cheapest next
> > step. Anyone else had a similar situation?
> >
> >

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 25 Oct 2004, 03:40 am
Eric
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 88 Accord, Poor Compression, Chugging sound at exhaust

Ralph wrote:
>
> As a follow-up to my original post, the problem has now been found. The
> compression test was redone using a gauge with a thread adaptor into the
> spark plug hole. This set of tests were good, between 160 and 165 on all
> four cylinders. The contents of the Catalytic converter have been removed
> and leaving the shell in place. Spark has been verified on all four
> cylinders. With the engine running, the ignition wire was removed from the
> #3 cylinder without any noticeable difference in engine speed. #3 cylinder
> was dead, but had good compression and spark. Ran the engine with #3 spark
> plug removed and the air expelled through the spark plug hole lacked the
> smell of "gas", just plain air. This is a carburetored engine, how can 3
> cylinders get fuel/air mixture but the one cylinder doesn't, that was the
> question. In close examination of the face between the intake manifold and
> the cylinder head (at #3 cylinder intake port), a small section of gasket
> seemed to have vanished. This was confirmed with a fine wire that could be
> pushed between the two surfaces. At high speed or under full throttle
> there is enough fuel going through the carb and the leak is small enough
> that the problem is barely noticeable. If the gasket gap had been on the
> bottom side of the intake manifold, it is doubtful that it would have
> been detected.
>


It sounds like you had a really bad vacuum leak. This could have been
easily detected by spraying carburetor cleaner on the manifold to head
junction or via a propane enrichment test.

Eric
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Accord 05 VP Poor Gas Mileage ag_15@excite.com Honda 3 21 08 Apr 2006 08:24 am
I hesitate to askI have recently developed a severe hesitation problem. Cyl 1 shows compression of 120. Other 3 have 150. If I squirt oil into 1, it also shows 150. There has been no change in compression or vacuum (18), but the hesitation and tom Honda 2 4 16 Apr 2005 04:42 pm
'05 Accord EX - Poor FM reception I'm_a_dreamer Honda 3 17 08 Apr 2005 11:06 am
1991 Acura Integra with poor engine compression test results BadLuckShleprock Honda 3 1 05 Sep 2004 08:06 pm
'92 Accord EX Compression BILL Honda 2 3 09 Sep 2003 09:17 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.