Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08 Oct 2004, 09:47 am
tms1337
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default What kind of oil?

Simple question here. I have a 1988 Accord LX, and I was just wondering
what type of oil I have to put it in.

Thanks

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08 Oct 2004, 10:01 am
E. Meyer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What kind of oil?

On 10/8/04 9:47 AM, in article
ad381660892b5f3fc121ff4f25bc4de6@loc...o utautos.com, "tms1337"
<tms2780@gmail.com> wrote:

> Simple question here. I have a 1988 Accord LX, and I was just wondering
> what type of oil I have to put it in.
>
> Thanks
>


If you have an owner's manual, it should be in there. If not, 10w30 is
probably a safe choice.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08 Oct 2004, 10:16 am
Brian Smith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What kind of oil?


"tms1337" <tms2780@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ad381660892b5f3fc121ff4f25bc4de6@localhost.ta lkaboutautos.com...
> Simple question here. I have a 1988 Accord LX, and I was just wondering
> what type of oil I have to put it in.


10W30 is what I used in my '88 Accord and Prelude, if that helps you make a
decision.

--
Brian
http://www.accesswave.ca/~orion

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.










Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08 Oct 2004, 08:59 pm
Howard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What kind of oil?

When you put it in, make sure you first close the windows.


"tms1337" <tms2780@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ad381660892b5f3fc121ff4f25bc4de6@localhost.ta lkaboutautos.com...
> Simple question here. I have a 1988 Accord LX, and I was just wondering
> what type of oil I have to put it in.
>
> Thanks
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08 Oct 2004, 09:25 pm
Seth
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What kind of oil?

"tms1337" <tms2780@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ad381660892b5f3fc121ff4f25bc4de6@localhost.ta lkaboutautos.com...
> Simple question here. I have a 1988 Accord LX, and I was just wondering
> what type of oil I have to put it in.


Doesn't it say right on the oil fill cap? It does on my '01 (which says
5W-20).


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10 Oct 2004, 07:38 pm
jimjim
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What kind of oil?

Most honda engines that I've seen recommend 5W30. I use 5W30 during the
colder months and 10W30 during the hotter months.


"Seth" <seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:h_H9d.8849$GT3.1483@news02.roc.ny...
> "tms1337" <tms2780@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:ad381660892b5f3fc121ff4f25bc4de6@localhost.ta lkaboutautos.com...
>> Simple question here. I have a 1988 Accord LX, and I was just wondering
>> what type of oil I have to put it in.

>
> Doesn't it say right on the oil fill cap? It does on my '01 (which says
> 5W-20).
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10 Oct 2004, 08:03 pm
Seth
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What kind of oil?

"jimjim" <jim@jim.poo> wrote in message
news:wCkad.78655$DV3.76825@bignews5.bellsouth.net. ..
> Most honda engines that I've seen recommend 5W30. I use 5W30 during the
> colder months and 10W30 during the hotter months.


Older ones maybe, but the newer ones specify the lighter weight (such as the
5W-20 in my '01).


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10 Oct 2004, 08:34 pm
Cinder Lane
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What kind of oil?

Numbers such as 5W20 and 10W30 indicate the WEIGHT of the oil, which
dependent upon your area's ambient temperature:

20W40 and 20W50 are good from a low of no more than approximately 15
degrees F to a high of well over 100 degrees F.

10W40 is good from a low of approximately 0 degrees F to a high of well
over 100 degrees F.

10W30 is good from a low of approximately 0 degrees F to a high of no
more than approximately 90 degrees F.

5W30 is good from a low of way under -20 degrees F to a high of no more
than approximately 35 degrees F.

5W20 is good from a low of way under -20 degrees F to a high of no more
than approximately 15 degrees F (brrrrr).

The TYPE of oil recommended, however, is SF grade detergent oil, BUT...

Since you are asking about a 1988 car, I assume that you had recently
purchased it from someone else -- NOT that you had owned it yourself
since 1988 and just now got around to changing the oil. If the previous
owner had been using SYNTHETIC oil, then you must continue with
synthetic oil.

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10 Oct 2004, 10:20 pm
Steve Bigelow
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What kind of oil?


"Cinder Lane" <Cinderlane@webtv.net> wrote in message
news:6148-4169E32E-155@storefull-3133.bay.webtv.net...
> Numbers such as 5W20 and 10W30 indicate the WEIGHT of the oil, which
> dependent upon your area's ambient temperature:
>
> 20W40 and 20W50 are good from a low of no more than approximately 15
> degrees F to a high of well over 100 degrees F.
>
> 10W40 is good from a low of approximately 0 degrees F to a high of well
> over 100 degrees F.
>
> 10W30 is good from a low of approximately 0 degrees F to a high of no
> more than approximately 90 degrees F.
>
> 5W30 is good from a low of way under -20 degrees F to a high of no more
> than approximately 35 degrees F.
>
> 5W20 is good from a low of way under -20 degrees F to a high of no more
> than approximately 15 degrees F (brrrrr).


Got a recent source for these tidbits?
Or are you pulling numbers out of your ass?


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10 Oct 2004, 11:06 pm
Harvey J Cohen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What kind of oil?

In article <bcqdnfR0EJWKYfTcRVn-rw@rogers.com>, Steve Bigelow
<stevebigelowXXX@rogers.com> wrote:

> "Cinder Lane" <Cinderlane@webtv.net> wrote in message
> news:6148-4169E32E-155@storefull-3133.bay.webtv.net...
> > Numbers such as 5W20 and 10W30 indicate the WEIGHT of the oil, which
> > dependent upon your area's ambient temperature:
> >
> > 20W40 and 20W50 are good from a low of no more than approximately 15
> > degrees F to a high of well over 100 degrees F.
> >
> > 10W40 is good from a low of approximately 0 degrees F to a high of well
> > over 100 degrees F.
> >
> > 10W30 is good from a low of approximately 0 degrees F to a high of no
> > more than approximately 90 degrees F.
> >
> > 5W30 is good from a low of way under -20 degrees F to a high of no more
> > than approximately 35 degrees F.
> >
> > 5W20 is good from a low of way under -20 degrees F to a high of no more
> > than approximately 15 degrees F (brrrrr).

>
> Got a recent source for these tidbits?
> Or are you pulling numbers out of your ass?
>


I have no idea where this poster got his numbers either. Many cars
manufactured in the past few years (2000 and beyond) specify 5W-20
oil not because of expectation of operation in cold weather but due to
tighter manufacturing tolerances.

--
Harvey J. Cohen, Ph. D.
-------

"The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make
sense." - Tom Clancy

------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what kind of oil is best for honda civic in spring? joe54345@gmail.com Honda 3 7 21 Oct 2006 07:50 pm
what kind of oil? Eddie G Honda 2 1 28 Jun 2006 11:37 am
Re: what kind of oil is best for honda civic in spring? johnin Honda 3 0 08 May 2006 07:20 am
my experience with different kind of cars Peter Honda 3 0 25 Nov 2005 06:55 pm
What kind of gas? Giulio Ranucci Honda 2 0 01 Dec 2003 06:32 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.