Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jan 2010, 01:41 pm
Cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Toyota's troubles Honda's fortune?

Really ... Where are wouldbe Toyota buyers turning now first? Wouldn't
it be Honda? I wonder if there are any indication of this yet.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jan 2010, 03:34 pm
billzz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Toyota's troubles Honda's fortune?

On Jan 27, 11:41*am, "Cameo" <ca...@cameo.invalid> wrote:
> Really ... Where are wouldbe Toyota buyers turning now first? Wouldn't
> it be Honda? I wonder if there are any indication of this yet.


As a matter of fact, we just took delivery of a Honda Pilot Touring,
after test-driving the Toyota Venza. My wife absolutely hated the fly-
by-wire steering. It's like a remote-controlled vehicle. It goes
where you point it but there is no feedback. We also looked at the
new GMC Acadia, bit too Tonka-toy for me. We have twin Jeep Grand
Cherokee Laredos, with 140K miles so need reliability for long road
trips. The Honda seemed a generation ahead of the others, and the new
Jeeps are mere shadows of the old "real" Jeeps. And the Consumer's
Report didn't help either. Remarkably, we had few problems with the
Jeeps, and I used to drive from Dallas to Sacramento for the Jazz
Jubilee, each year. The Honda is bigger, quieter, more fuel-
efficient, more automated, more seats (can snug 8 people into one.)
Just more of what we wanted and less of what we didn't want.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jan 2010, 03:47 pm
Making Car Sense
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Toyota's troubles Honda's fortune?

On Jan 27, 3:34*pm, billzz <bil...@wildblue.net> wrote:
> On Jan 27, 11:41*am, "Cameo" <ca...@cameo.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Really ... Where are wouldbe Toyota buyers turning now first? Wouldn't
> > it be Honda? I wonder if there are any indication of this yet.

>
> As a matter of fact, we just took delivery of a Honda Pilot Touring,
> after test-driving the Toyota Venza. *My wife absolutely hated the fly-
> by-wire steering. *It's like a remote-controlled vehicle. *It goes
> where you point it but there is no feedback. *We also looked at the
> new GMC Acadia, bit too Tonka-toy for me. We have twin Jeep Grand
> Cherokee Laredos, with 140K miles so need reliability for long road
> trips. *The Honda seemed a generation ahead of the others, and the new
> Jeeps are mere shadows of the old "real" Jeeps. *And the Consumer's
> Report didn't help either. *Remarkably, we had few problems with the
> Jeeps, and I used to drive from Dallas to Sacramento for the Jazz
> Jubilee, each year. *The Honda is bigger, quieter, more fuel-
> efficient, more automated, more seats (can snug 8 people into one.)
> Just more of what we wanted and less of what we didn't want.


I still have respect for Toyota, however, a once highly regarded
reputation will now take some time to recover from this. I've been
trying to find out if Toyota utilizes Drive-by-Wire technology that
Honda uses as their throttle system. Wondering if this design is to
fault or not. Any thoughts?

Chris
www.makingcarsense.com
http://www.makingcarsense.com/post/t...2010/1079.aspx
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jan 2010, 08:06 pm
tww1491
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Toyota's troubles Honda's fortune?



"billzz" <billzz@wildblue.net> wrote in message
news:83105773-8374-4411-9a03-1f3b90c3de51@36g2000yqu.googlegroups.com...
> On Jan 27, 11:41 am, "Cameo" <ca...@cameo.invalid> wrote:
>> Really ... Where are wouldbe Toyota buyers turning now first? Wouldn't
>> it be Honda? I wonder if there are any indication of this yet.

>
> As a matter of fact, we just took delivery of a Honda Pilot Touring,
> after test-driving the Toyota Venza. My wife absolutely hated the fly-
> by-wire steering. It's like a remote-controlled vehicle. It goes
> where you point it but there is no feedback. We also looked at the
> new GMC Acadia, bit too Tonka-toy for me. We have twin Jeep Grand
> Cherokee Laredos, with 140K miles so need reliability for long road
> trips. The Honda seemed a generation ahead of the others, and the new
> Jeeps are mere shadows of the old "real" Jeeps. And the Consumer's
> Report didn't help either. Remarkably, we had few problems with the
> Jeeps, and I used to drive from Dallas to Sacramento for the Jazz
> Jubilee, each year. The Honda is bigger, quieter, more fuel-
> efficient, more automated, more seats (can snug 8 people into one.)
> Just more of what we wanted and less of what we didn't want.


We still have our 03 Pilot, the 1st year they came out. Still drives like
new and does not break. Although AWD it gets around 22 on the road.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jan 2010, 08:28 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Toyota's troubles Honda's fortune?

Making Car Sense <christopherasachs@gmail.com> wrote in
news:60662132-82bb-42e4-b628-60bfa8a318d1@g1g2000yqi.googlegroups.com:


>
> I still have respect for Toyota, however, a once highly regarded
> reputation will now take some time to recover from this. I've been
> trying to find out if Toyota utilizes Drive-by-Wire technology that
> Honda uses as their throttle system. Wondering if this design is to
> fault or not. Any thoughts?




You're a bit out of the loop on this. Funny that, given your advertised
website.

ALL automakers now use throttle-by-wire. It's an aftershock of federal
emissions-control regulations. In case anybody's wondering, steering is
still steel-to-steel, as it has been since forever.

There were two problems with the affected Toyotas:
1) aftermarket floor mats (the cop that died was driving a loaner that had
aftermarket mats which had bunched up and kept the pedal down), and
2) poor-quality pedal/sensor assemblies from a Toyota supplier.

The sensor problem has to do with gas pedal assemblies supplied to Toyota
by a Canadian branch of a US company called CTS. This only affected
American and Canadian-built vehicles. Japanese-built cars have Denso-
supplied pedal assemblies. These are not subject to the sensor recall.

Note that Toyota, like Honda and all other foreign-owned makes, is forced
to buy a certain percentage of their parts from NAFTA-eligible suppliers in
order for their NA-assembled vehicles to be exempt from the various import
tariffs. Just about all of Toyota's recent recalls have involved NA
suppliers. Doesn't say much for us, that's for sure.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jan 2010, 08:55 pm
billzz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Toyota's troubles Honda's fortune?

On Jan 27, 1:47*pm, Making Car Sense <christopherasa...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Jan 27, 3:34*pm, billzz <bil...@wildblue.net> wrote:
>
>
>
> > On Jan 27, 11:41*am, "Cameo" <ca...@cameo.invalid> wrote:

>
> > > Really ... Where are wouldbe Toyota buyers turning now first? Wouldn't
> > > it be Honda? I wonder if there are any indication of this yet.

>
> > As a matter of fact, we just took delivery of a Honda Pilot Touring,
> > after test-driving the Toyota Venza. *My wife absolutely hated the fly-
> > by-wire steering. *It's like a remote-controlled vehicle. *It goes
> > where you point it but there is no feedback. *We also looked at the
> > new GMC Acadia, bit too Tonka-toy for me. We have twin Jeep Grand
> > Cherokee Laredos, with 140K miles so need reliability for long road
> > trips. *The Honda seemed a generation ahead of the others, and the new
> > Jeeps are mere shadows of the old "real" Jeeps. *And the Consumer's
> > Report didn't help either. *Remarkably, we had few problems with the
> > Jeeps, and I used to drive from Dallas to Sacramento for the Jazz
> > Jubilee, each year. *The Honda is bigger, quieter, more fuel-
> > efficient, more automated, more seats (can snug 8 people into one.)
> > Just more of what we wanted and less of what we didn't want.

>
> I still have respect for Toyota, however, a once highly regarded
> reputation will now take some time to recover from this. *I've been
> trying to find out if Toyota utilizes Drive-by-Wire technology that
> Honda uses as their throttle system. *Wondering if this design is to
> fault or not. *Any thoughts?
>
> Chriswww.makingcarsense.comhttp://www.makingcarsense.com/post/toyota-recall-toyota-temporarily-s...


I have no cogent thoughts. I am old. Seventy-one years old. The
first car that I drove was a 1938 Packard 120. The second car was a
1948 Buick Roadmaster. The third was a BMW Isetta, and the fourth was
a 1959 XK-140 Jaguar, which I raced at Laguna Seca. Along the way
there was a Jeep Wagoneer, and a 1962 E-Type Jaguar, toured around
Europe, followed by a 455 Pontiac Bonneville, and, going back to
Europe, a VW Dasher, and some others.

My only real thoughts are that (and I flew airplanes) that you really
can feel things by the "seat of your pants" and that people who do not
have that ability do not have "the right stuff."

Fly-by-wire is a neutral technology. You get it or you do not get
it. The key thing is,does it work? As an aside and an insight into
design, there was the case of an American aircraft which had the
instructions for blowing the canopy written on the canopy. There were
five lines and, if you followed the instructions, you blew the canopy
at the third line, and then never knew what the following lines had to
say. Better than a German WWII aircraft that had the instructions to
pull, with both hands, the latches, and when the pilot did that, the
explosive bolts went off so fast that both of the pilot's hands were
pulled off. More than anyone wants to know.

I do not know what Honda uses as their throttle system, but my
experience leads me to always have another "out." All cars can have
"surges" and it is a poor driver that does no know how to stop a car.
Now, saying that, I realize that my daughter-in-law, carrying our
grand-kids, is pretty unknowing about how to do most anything in a
car.

Incidentally, just yesterday I had to take the mandatory California 70
years old driver's test. The eyesight was 20/20 and I got 100% on the
test, so I am thinking about this Ferrari......
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jan 2010, 10:49 pm
Dillon Pyron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Toyota's troubles Honda's fortune?

Thus spake "Cameo" <cameo@cameo.invalid> :

>Really ... Where are wouldbe Toyota buyers turning now first? Wouldn't
>it be Honda? I wonder if there are any indication of this yet.


Well, the problem appears to be in an American made part.

I've always been "afraid" of my wife's Camry. When I punch it, it
almost feels like a turbine powered aircraft. Sort of thinks and
starts to spool up. Real mushy.

Her's is "one of the ones", but she has long known how to get out of
that kind of mess. Toyota says to stick the car in neutral and pound
the brake with both feet. Once it's in neutral it's not going to go
any faster. If you're in a turn a little too hot, that puppy is going
to step around on you in a FWD car.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

I love my country, It's my government I fear.

Hey, turnabout's fair play.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jan 2010, 11:04 pm
billzz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Toyota's troubles Honda's fortune?

On Jan 27, 6:06*pm, "tww1491" <twau...@cox.net> wrote:
> "billzz" <bil...@wildblue.net> wrote in message
>
> news:83105773-8374-4411-9a03-1f3b90c3de51@36g2000yqu.googlegroups.com...
>
>
>
> > On Jan 27, 11:41 am, "Cameo" <ca...@cameo.invalid> wrote:
> >> Really ... Where are wouldbe Toyota buyers turning now first? Wouldn't
> >> it be Honda? I wonder if there are any indication of this yet.

>
> > As a matter of fact, we just took delivery of a Honda Pilot Touring,
> > after test-driving the Toyota Venza. *My wife absolutely hated the fly-
> > by-wire steering. *It's like a remote-controlled vehicle. *It goes
> > where you point it but there is no feedback. *We also looked at the
> > new GMC Acadia, bit too Tonka-toy for me. We have twin Jeep Grand
> > Cherokee Laredos, with 140K miles so need reliability for long road
> > trips. *The Honda seemed a generation ahead of the others, and the new
> > Jeeps are mere shadows of the old "real" Jeeps. *And the Consumer's
> > Report didn't help either. *Remarkably, we had few problems with the
> > Jeeps, and I used to drive from Dallas to Sacramento for the Jazz
> > Jubilee, each year. *The Honda is bigger, quieter, more fuel-
> > efficient, more automated, more seats (can snug 8 people into one.)
> > Just more of what we wanted and less of what we didn't want.

>
> We still have our 03 Pilot, the 1st year they came out. Still drives like
> new and does not break. Although AWD it gets around 22 on the road.


22 seems good to me. The Jeeps got 17, when we were in Texas. Now
retired, and in California, they only get 15, because the gas is
diluted with corn alchohol. The politicos love it because they get
state tax on every gallon, so the more gallons that you burn, the more
taxes that they get. Few people understand this.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 28 Jan 2010, 07:34 am
ACAR
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Toyota's troubles Honda's fortune?

On Jan 27, 2:41*pm, "Cameo" <ca...@cameo.invalid> wrote:
> Really ... Where are wouldbe Toyota buyers turning now first? Wouldn't
> it be Honda? I wonder if there are any indication of this yet.


I own both Honda and Toyota vehicles.
Toyota owners tend to want comfort while Honda owners tend to want
responsiveness.
While it might seem that potential Camry buyers would go for an
Accord, I'd guess the numbers will be less than you think. The Accord
will be too noisy and rough riding for many Camry buyers.

The Toyota floor mat issue has been around for a while. That didn't
stop me from buying a new Sienna after putting 250K nearly trouble-
free miles on a 1998 Sienna.

YMMV


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 28 Jan 2010, 01:58 pm
Cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Toyota's troubles Honda's fortune?

"ACAR" <dimndsonmywndshld@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1cc88b5e-2395-43e4-b8d2-2bc2f7ab8c65@28g2000vbf.googlegroups.com...
> I own both Honda and Toyota vehicles.
> Toyota owners tend to want comfort while Honda owners tend to want
> responsiveness.
> While it might seem that potential Camry buyers would go for an
> Accord, I'd guess the numbers will be less than you think. The Accord
> will be too noisy and rough riding for many Camry buyers.


Interesting comparison. I always wondered if newer Toyotas were quieter
than Hondas because I sure find my '94 Accord pretty noisy. But then, I
had an '84 Corolla before and that was also noisy as hell. True though
that it was not in the same class as Camry or Accord. But how are
Toyotas more comfortable besides the road noise?

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why are there 3 times more used Honda's for sale than Toyota's? josh b Honda Technical 10 21 Oct 2007 07:00 am
are there any troubles with the 07 honda civic ex or any starting troubles? tim c Honda Technical 1 22 Sep 2007 12:22 pm
How can I replace the Key FOB on my '93 accord without spending a fortune at the dealer? Rockstar from another dimension Honda Technical 3 18 Sep 2007 02:44 pm
Why aren't there any Toyota's on the rice scene except for Supra? Alien Honda Technical 7 26 Aug 2007 05:48 pm
Honda's GPS vs. Toyota's Mikhail T. Honda 3 3 24 Nov 2006 12:37 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.