Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 24 Jan 2010, 09:19 am
RC
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 93 Civic Tierod Boot Replacement

How difficult is it to install Honda replacement boots on 93 Civic tie
rod ends? I bought some aftermarket urethane boots, but I don't like
the fit. Tie rods and ball joints are still tight, but the dust boots
are badly cracked. The shop manual shows a special tool for getting
the boot over the body of the tie rod. Is the tool neccesary or can I
do this by hand?

-RC
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 24 Jan 2010, 11:48 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 93 Civic Tierod Boot Replacement

On 01/24/2010 07:19 AM, RC wrote:
> How difficult is it to install Honda replacement boots on 93 Civic tie
> rod ends?


it's not difficult - simply remove the ball joint end.


> I bought some aftermarket urethane boots, but I don't like
> the fit.


isn't that sufficient reason to stick with oem? besides, urethane may
be stronger, but it's not more fatigue resistant.


> Tie rods and ball joints are still tight, but the dust boots
> are badly cracked. The shop manual shows a special tool for getting
> the boot over the body of the tie rod. Is the tool neccesary or can I
> do this by hand?


which "shop manual"? it's surely not the honda manual. the job is easy
and needs no special tools other than a ball joint separator. unless
you are very careful, you will need to do an alignment afterwards.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 24 Jan 2010, 01:38 pm
RC
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 93 Civic Tierod Boot Replacement

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 09:48:53 -0800, jim beam <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>On 01/24/2010 07:19 AM, RC wrote:


>> I bought some aftermarket urethane boots, but I don't like
>> the fit.

>
>isn't that sufficient reason to stick with oem? besides, urethane may
>be stronger, but it's not more fatigue resistant.


Yes that is sufficient reason to go with oem. I expected the urethane
product to have a good fit, which it doesn't. Tie rod life would be
shortened.

>> Tie rods and ball joints are still tight, but the dust boots
>> are badly cracked. The shop manual shows a special tool for getting
>> the boot over the body of the tie rod. Is the tool neccesary or can I
>> do this by hand?

>
>which "shop manual"? it's surely not the honda manual.


Yes it is. It shows a "Ball Joint Boot Clip Guide 07974-SA50800" used
for installing the replacement boot. That's why I'm asking before I
order replacement oem boots. It doesn't sound like I need the special
tool, so it's curious that Honda would show it.

Does the same go for replacing the ball joint boots? Ball joints are
tight, but the lower boots are shot.

> the job is easy
>and needs no special tools other than a ball joint separator. unless
>you are very careful, you will need to do an alignment afterwards.


I've gotta pop the lower ball joint to replace the half shafts. I've
never noticed a change in alignment after doing this operation. The
tie rods however were unscrewed to get to the sterring rack boots. The
car will neeed the toe set at minimum. I've done that in the past with
a laser pointer on my garage wall. Everything else I take to the
corner alignment machine.

Same deal with the rack boots. Aftermarket were completely wrong size,
so I went with oem. ( I went with aftermarket at first because they
were available that day. OEM was special order.)

Thanks for the quick feedback.

-RC

R.Clarke
"What traffic?"
RTP, NC, USA DoD#5811
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 24 Jan 2010, 02:35 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 93 Civic Tierod Boot Replacement

On 01/24/2010 11:38 AM, RC wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 09:48:53 -0800, jim beam<me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> On 01/24/2010 07:19 AM, RC wrote:

>
>>> I bought some aftermarket urethane boots, but I don't like
>>> the fit.

>>
>> isn't that sufficient reason to stick with oem? besides, urethane may
>> be stronger, but it's not more fatigue resistant.

>
> Yes that is sufficient reason to go with oem. I expected the urethane
> product to have a good fit, which it doesn't. Tie rod life would be
> shortened.
>
>>> Tie rods and ball joints are still tight, but the dust boots
>>> are badly cracked. The shop manual shows a special tool for getting
>>> the boot over the body of the tie rod. Is the tool neccesary or can I
>>> do this by hand?

>>
>> which "shop manual"? it's surely not the honda manual.

>
> Yes it is. It shows a "Ball Joint Boot Clip Guide 07974-SA50800" used
> for installing the replacement boot. That's why I'm asking before I
> order replacement oem boots. It doesn't sound like I need the special
> tool, so it's curious that Honda would show it.


that is for the ball joints, not the tie rod.


>
> Does the same go for replacing the ball joint boots? Ball joints are
> tight, but the lower boots are shot.


ymmv, but i've been able to successfully replace those boots without a
lot of problem and no special tool. i'm not sure the tool makes it
easier though, and i'm also how easy it is to buy those boot separately.
i got mine from a junk yard.

unless you live in the rust belt and have some extraordinary high
mileage on your vehicle, honda ball joint boots are usually very
reliable. if they have "failed", it's usually because someone has use a
pickle fork separator on them, not the proper tool. pickle forks always
damage boots. always.

tegger tells you what you need:

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/disconnect.html


>
>> the job is easy
>> and needs no special tools other than a ball joint separator. unless
>> you are very careful, you will need to do an alignment afterwards.

>
> I've gotta pop the lower ball joint to replace the half shafts. I've
> never noticed a change in alignment after doing this operation.


indeed, it's the tie rod where it's a concern.

> The
> tie rods however were unscrewed to get to the sterring rack boots. The
> car will neeed the toe set at minimum. I've done that in the past with
> a laser pointer on my garage wall. Everything else I take to the
> corner alignment machine.


if you're careful and know what you're doing, you can indeed replace the
tie rod boots without realignment. that's not most people though. it's
usually worth getting it done just to ensure everything is good.


>
> Same deal with the rack boots. Aftermarket were completely wrong size,
> so I went with oem. ( I went with aftermarket at first because they
> were available that day. OEM was special order.)
>
> Thanks for the quick feedback.


you're welcome.

if your lower ball joint boots are shot, you might want to consider
replacing the joints completely. once crud enters under the boot, the
wear rate is greatly accelerated so chances are they're on their way out.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 24 Jan 2010, 02:41 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 93 Civic Tierod Boot Replacement

On 01/24/2010 12:35 PM, jim beam wrote:
> On 01/24/2010 11:38 AM, RC wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 09:48:53 -0800, jim beam<me@privacy.net> wrote:
>>
>>> On 01/24/2010 07:19 AM, RC wrote:

>>
>>>> I bought some aftermarket urethane boots, but I don't like
>>>> the fit.
>>>
>>> isn't that sufficient reason to stick with oem? besides, urethane may
>>> be stronger, but it's not more fatigue resistant.

>>
>> Yes that is sufficient reason to go with oem. I expected the urethane
>> product to have a good fit, which it doesn't. Tie rod life would be
>> shortened.
>>
>>>> Tie rods and ball joints are still tight, but the dust boots
>>>> are badly cracked. The shop manual shows a special tool for getting
>>>> the boot over the body of the tie rod. Is the tool neccesary or can I
>>>> do this by hand?
>>>
>>> which "shop manual"? it's surely not the honda manual.

>>
>> Yes it is. It shows a "Ball Joint Boot Clip Guide 07974-SA50800" used
>> for installing the replacement boot. That's why I'm asking before I
>> order replacement oem boots. It doesn't sound like I need the special
>> tool, so it's curious that Honda would show it.

>
> that is for the ball joints, not the tie rod.
>
>
>>
>> Does the same go for replacing the ball joint boots? Ball joints are
>> tight, but the lower boots are shot.

>
> ymmv, but i've been able to successfully replace those boots without a
> lot of problem and no special tool. i'm not sure the tool makes it
> easier though, and i'm also how easy it is to buy those boot separately.
> i got mine from a junk yard.


edit munging:

"i'm sure the tool makes it easier though, and i'm also /not/ sure how
easy it is to buy those boots separately."


>
> unless you live in the rust belt and have some extraordinary high
> mileage on your vehicle, honda ball joint boots are usually very
> reliable. if they have "failed", it's usually because someone has use a
> pickle fork separator on them, not the proper tool. pickle forks always
> damage boots. always.
>
> tegger tells you what you need:
>
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/disconnect.html
>
>
>>
>>> the job is easy
>>> and needs no special tools other than a ball joint separator. unless
>>> you are very careful, you will need to do an alignment afterwards.

>>
>> I've gotta pop the lower ball joint to replace the half shafts. I've
>> never noticed a change in alignment after doing this operation.

>
> indeed, it's the tie rod where it's a concern.
>
>> The
>> tie rods however were unscrewed to get to the sterring rack boots. The
>> car will neeed the toe set at minimum. I've done that in the past with
>> a laser pointer on my garage wall. Everything else I take to the
>> corner alignment machine.

>
> if you're careful and know what you're doing, you can indeed replace the
> tie rod boots without realignment. that's not most people though. it's
> usually worth getting it done just to ensure everything is good.
>
>
>>
>> Same deal with the rack boots. Aftermarket were completely wrong size,
>> so I went with oem. ( I went with aftermarket at first because they
>> were available that day. OEM was special order.)
>>
>> Thanks for the quick feedback.

>
> you're welcome.
>
> if your lower ball joint boots are shot, you might want to consider
> replacing the joints completely. once crud enters under the boot, the
> wear rate is greatly accelerated so chances are they're on their way out.
>


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 24 Jan 2010, 04:45 pm
RC
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 93 Civic Tierod Boot Replacement

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 12:41:38 -0800, jim beam <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>>> Yes it is. It shows a "Ball Joint Boot Clip Guide 07974-SA50800" used
>>> for installing the replacement boot. That's why I'm asking before I
>>> order replacement oem boots. It doesn't sound like I need the special
>>> tool, so it's curious that Honda would show it.

>>
>> that is for the ball joints, not the tie rod.


It is in the tie rod section and it shows a picture of the tool being
used on a tie rod end.

-RC
R.Clarke
"What traffic?"
RTP, NC, USA DoD#5811
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 24 Jan 2010, 04:46 pm
RC
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 93 Civic Tierod Boot Replacement

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 12:41:38 -0800, jim beam <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>> unless you live in the rust belt and have some extraordinary high
>> mileage on your vehicle, honda ball joint boots are usually very
>> reliable. if they have "failed", it's usually because someone has use a
>> pickle fork separator on them, not the proper tool. pickle forks always
>> damage boots. always.


These aren't pickle fork rips. They are fatigue cracks.

-RC

R.Clarke
"What traffic?"
RTP, NC, USA DoD#5811
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 24 Jan 2010, 09:44 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 93 Civic Tierod Boot Replacement

On 01/24/2010 02:45 PM, RC wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 12:41:38 -0800, jim beam<me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>>> Yes it is. It shows a "Ball Joint Boot Clip Guide 07974-SA50800" used
>>>> for installing the replacement boot. That's why I'm asking before I
>>>> order replacement oem boots. It doesn't sound like I need the special
>>>> tool, so it's curious that Honda would show it.
>>>
>>> that is for the ball joints, not the tie rod.

>
> It is in the tie rod section and it shows a picture of the tool being
> used on a tie rod end.


language - no tool for the steering rack boot, just the ball joint boot.
as i say, i've changed them without the tool before...
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 25 Jan 2010, 04:50 am
RC
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 93 Civic Tierod Boot Replacement

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 19:44:22 -0800, jim beam <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>as i say, i've changed them without the tool before...


That's great info. I'll order the tie rod and ball joint boots from
Honda and won't sweat the special tools part of the manual.

Thanks,
-RC
R.Clarke
"What traffic?"
RTP, NC, USA DoD#5811
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1995 Honda Passport - Driveshaft Axle Replacement; CV Boot replacement ajpdla Honda 2 0 12 Aug 2007 11:00 am
Re: 1995 Honda Passport - Driveshaft Axle Replacement; CV Boot replacement jim beam Honda 2 0 08 Aug 2007 11:59 pm
CV boot replacement Peabody Honda 2 16 20 Dec 2006 08:58 pm
CV boot replacement Peabody Honda 3 16 20 Dec 2006 08:58 pm
CV boot replacement DIY Fish Honda 2 10 10 Apr 2004 02:57 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.