Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03 Jan 2010, 10:22 am
Guy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Honda key fobs and how to replace when lost

I forgot to ask this from the dealership at purchase and I know I can
still ask but I'll ask here first.

I seem to remember getting a couple of little metal chips on the key
chain and told to use that to get a replacement key fob. I think this
was on my 2003 when new but I didn't get anything for the 2010 nor
told about key fobs. Do they just go by the VIN # now to replace
these key fobs? I'm just thinkiing ahead.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03 Jan 2010, 03:00 pm
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda key fobs and how to replace when lost

In article <rbg1k512p7nphp87mnbakt7vpupovpfnn8@4ax.com>,
"Guy" <void@void.com> wrote:

> I forgot to ask this from the dealership at purchase and I know I can
> still ask but I'll ask here first.
>
> I seem to remember getting a couple of little metal chips on the key
> chain and told to use that to get a replacement key fob.


no, those little metal chips were the KEY number. They had nothing to
do with what you are mistakenly calling the "key fob".



> I think this
> was on my 2003 when new but I didn't get anything for the 2010 nor
> told about key fobs. Do they just go by the VIN # now to replace
> these key fobs? I'm just thinkiing ahead.


Keys, you mean? No. The keys still have numbers.

Does your key have the remote transmitter inside the head of the key?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03 Jan 2010, 04:20 pm
Guy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda key fobs and how to replace when lost

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 16:00:37 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
<elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <rbg1k512p7nphp87mnbakt7vpupovpfnn8@4ax.com>,
> "Guy" <void@void.com> wrote:
>
>> I forgot to ask this from the dealership at purchase and I know I can
>> still ask but I'll ask here first.
>>
>> I seem to remember getting a couple of little metal chips on the key
>> chain and told to use that to get a replacement key fob.

>
>no, those little metal chips were the KEY number. They had nothing to
>do with what you are mistakenly calling the "key fob".
>
>
>
>> I think this
>> was on my 2003 when new but I didn't get anything for the 2010 nor
>> told about key fobs. Do they just go by the VIN # now to replace
>> these key fobs? I'm just thinkiing ahead.

>
>Keys, you mean? No. The keys still have numbers.
>
>Does your key have the remote transmitter inside the head of the key?


Yes (key fob is part of key). That's why I wondered what or how I
replace it if it gets lost and no key chip either. I will likely ask
the dealer when I'm able to get out and about. No emergency but I'd
like to know.

I was reminded to ask here earlier today when my wife didn't bother to
put her's on a key chain which I did for her later on. I think it's
a little harder to lose the key chain then just the key fob alone. Why
do women think differently? I know that question doesn't belong in
this newsgroup.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03 Jan 2010, 09:47 pm
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda key fobs and how to replace when lost

In article <1652k5ln58ci9mnaqjif7ti7pava38ihb0@4ax.com>,
"Guy" <void@void.com> wrote:

> >Keys, you mean? No. The keys still have numbers.
> >
> >Does your key have the remote transmitter inside the head of the key?

>
> Yes (key fob is part of key). That's why I wondered what or how I
> replace it if it gets lost and no key chip either. I will likely ask
> the dealer when I'm able to get out and about. No emergency but I'd
> like to know.
>
> I was reminded to ask here earlier today when my wife didn't bother to
> put her's on a key chain which I did for her later on. I think it's
> a little harder to lose the key chain then just the key fob alone. Why
> do women think differently? I know that question doesn't belong in
> this newsgroup.


You keep talking about a "key fob". There is no such thing; you have a
key. It happens to have a built-in remote transmitter, but in the end
all you have is a key. (And technically, even the separate remote
transmitters are not "key fobs".)

Are you saying it's harder to lose a key chain than just the key by
itself? I agree.

Anyway, you have two issues here:

1) the KEY itself has a security feature such that when you insert the
KEY and turn the ignition lock, the car queries the KEY to make sure
it's allowed to fire up the car. Should someone cut a copy of your KEY,
but it doesn't have the security feature, that copy of your KEY can open
the door but it won't start the car.

This is completely separate from the other issue of:

2) the remote transmitter, which locks and unlocks your car. It just so
happens that the remote transmitter is attached to the KEY head, so that
when you lose the KEY you also lose the remote transmitter.

Your dealer (and many locksmiths) can make a copy of your KEY for you
(it doesn't have to have the remote transmitter attached). He will cut
a copy and then copy the security feature from your existing KEY over to
the new KEY.

It is then painless to teach your car about the new remote transmitter
that is attached to your new KEY. The dealership will be happy to do it
for you for $50, or you can spend the ten seconds to do it yourself for
free.

Should you lose all your KEYs, that's a problem. I've never experienced
this, but I've heard that setting up a new security link between the car
and a new set of security-enabled KEYs is expensive.

To summarize: copying a KEY so that it fires up the car, not so easy or
casual as it used to be. Getting a new remote transmitter to lock and
unlock the doors, very easy.

Why Honda insists on putting everything onto the KEY itself, dunno.
They should just move wholesale to the electronic KEY that you keep in
your pocket.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2010, 05:07 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda key fobs and how to replace when lost

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in news:elmop-
B8B3F9.22473603012010@nothing.attdns.com:


>
> You keep talking about a "key fob". There is no such thing;



A "key fob" is usually a decorative thingy that many people like to attach
to their key rings, but sometimes the fob is an activator for an automotive
security system.

A "key fob" is always separate from the keys themselves.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_fob>

When the key itself has a plastic head that contains a security chip or
other radio device, it's called a "chipped key".

I believe Honda combines the key and the security device in order to cut
costs and reduce the number of pieces owners must carry.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2010, 06:10 am
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda key fobs and how to replace when lost

In article <Xns9CF63E4652B9Ctegger@208.90.168.18>,
Tegger <invalid@invalid.inv> wrote:

> > You keep talking about a "key fob". There is no such thing;

>
>
> A "key fob" is usually a decorative thingy that many people like to attach
> to their key rings, but sometimes the fob is an activator for an automotive
> security system.


No, you had it right the first time.

What people insist on calling a "fob" is acually the remote transmitter.
At one time, it was a separate piece. Now it's attached to the key
itself, and they're still calling it a "fob"? It's not a fob. It's the
remote transmitter--and when combined, just call it the KEY, for God's
sake.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2010, 06:12 am
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda key fobs and how to replace when lost

In article <Xns9CF63E4652B9Ctegger@208.90.168.18>,
Tegger <invalid@invalid.inv> wrote:

> When the key itself has a plastic head that contains a security chip or
> other radio device, it's called a "chipped key".
>
> I believe Honda combines the key and the security device in order to cut
> costs and reduce the number of pieces owners must carry.


Nonononononono. A "chipped key" is what GM introduced with the Corvette
25 years ago, and what Honda uses today. There's a chip in there that's
mated up with the body computer; when the key is inserted and ignition
lock turned, the body computer queries the key and the key passively (no
batteries required) responds with the security code that tells the body
computer all is OK, I'm a legitimate key.

Making the remote transmitter small enough to bolt to the head of the
key is way different. It's still a different thing, separate from the
key function itself. The remote transmitter could not function for some
reason, but the key itself still performs the function of starting the
car.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2010, 06:13 am
Guy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda key fobs and how to replace when lost

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 22:47:36 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
<elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <1652k5ln58ci9mnaqjif7ti7pava38ihb0@4ax.com>,
> "Guy" <void@void.com> wrote:
>
>> >Keys, you mean? No. The keys still have numbers.
>> >
>> >Does your key have the remote transmitter inside the head of the key?

>>
>> Yes (key fob is part of key). That's why I wondered what or how I
>> replace it if it gets lost and no key chip either. I will likely ask
>> the dealer when I'm able to get out and about. No emergency but I'd
>> like to know.
>>
>> I was reminded to ask here earlier today when my wife didn't bother to
>> put her's on a key chain which I did for her later on. I think it's
>> a little harder to lose the key chain then just the key fob alone. Why
>> do women think differently? I know that question doesn't belong in
>> this newsgroup.

>
>You keep talking about a "key fob". There is no such thing; you have a
>key. It happens to have a built-in remote transmitter, but in the end
>all you have is a key. (And technically, even the separate remote
>transmitters are not "key fobs".)



Elmo, let me first apologize to you for using the wrong wording.
According to Tegger, I should call this a key chip (ignor what I
referred to earlier as a key chip). For the record, regardless what I
call it, it is a key that can open/close/start the car and has a black
plastic at one end of the key with a transmitter to unlock/lock the
doors and for the Accord, trunk too. The key chip I referred to
earlier is what I seem to remember as a very small actually tiny,
rectangular piece of metal (silver in color) that was on the key
chain. It likely had something written/etched on it but I am guessing
on that. I think I got this with the 2003 Accord when new (not on
the key chain I'm using right now so I'll have to find it if my memory
is correct) but did not get any thing like this for the new 2010 CR-V.
Anyway using Tegger's terminology, this key chip (with the plastic) is
what I am concerned about should it get lost. I guess I have to go to
the dealer to replace. I just wondered how they know how to program
it but if they reprogram it, no big deal I guess. I just have to be
sure that if I have another for the same vehicle, that gets programed
the same. No question, I need to read the manual and perhaps talk to
the dealer too. Thank you Elmo for the help and patience. I've been
cooped up inside due to illness but I hope to get out today or
tomorrow. I want to get to the manuals for both the Accord and CR-V
to help me ask the right questions.



>
>Are you saying it's harder to lose a key chain than just the key by
>itself? I agree.
>
>Anyway, you have two issues here:
>
>1) the KEY itself has a security feature such that when you insert the
>KEY and turn the ignition lock, the car queries the KEY to make sure
>it's allowed to fire up the car. Should someone cut a copy of your KEY,
>but it doesn't have the security feature, that copy of your KEY can open
>the door but it won't start the car.
>
>This is completely separate from the other issue of:
>
>2) the remote transmitter, which locks and unlocks your car. It just so
>happens that the remote transmitter is attached to the KEY head, so that
>when you lose the KEY you also lose the remote transmitter.
>
>Your dealer (and many locksmiths) can make a copy of your KEY for you
>(it doesn't have to have the remote transmitter attached). He will cut
>a copy and then copy the security feature from your existing KEY over to
>the new KEY.
>
>It is then painless to teach your car about the new remote transmitter
>that is attached to your new KEY. The dealership will be happy to do it
>for you for $50, or you can spend the ten seconds to do it yourself for
>free.
>
>Should you lose all your KEYs, that's a problem. I've never experienced
>this, but I've heard that setting up a new security link between the car
>and a new set of security-enabled KEYs is expensive.
>
>To summarize: copying a KEY so that it fires up the car, not so easy or
>casual as it used to be. Getting a new remote transmitter to lock and
>unlock the doors, very easy.
>
>Why Honda insists on putting everything onto the KEY itself, dunno.
>They should just move wholesale to the electronic KEY that you keep in
>your pocket.

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2010, 06:15 am
Guy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda key fobs and how to replace when lost

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 11:07:19 +0000 (UTC), Tegger <invalid@invalid.inv>
wrote:

>"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in news:elmop-
>B8B3F9.22473603012010@nothing.attdns.com:
>
>
>>
>> You keep talking about a "key fob". There is no such thing;

>
>
>A "key fob" is usually a decorative thingy that many people like to attach
>to their key rings, but sometimes the fob is an activator for an automotive
>security system.
>
>A "key fob" is always separate from the keys themselves.
>
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_fob>
>
>When the key itself has a plastic head that contains a security chip or
>other radio device, it's called a "chipped key".
>
>I believe Honda combines the key and the security device in order to cut
>costs and reduce the number of pieces owners must carry.



Ok, thank you for correcting me. I do mean "chipped key".
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2010, 06:16 am
Guy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda key fobs and how to replace when lost

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 06:13:57 -0600, "Guy" <void@void.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 22:47:36 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
><elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:
>
>>In article <1652k5ln58ci9mnaqjif7ti7pava38ihb0@4ax.com>,
>> "Guy" <void@void.com> wrote:
>>
>>> >Keys, you mean? No. The keys still have numbers.
>>> >
>>> >Does your key have the remote transmitter inside the head of the key?
>>>
>>> Yes (key fob is part of key). That's why I wondered what or how I
>>> replace it if it gets lost and no key chip either. I will likely ask
>>> the dealer when I'm able to get out and about. No emergency but I'd
>>> like to know.
>>>
>>> I was reminded to ask here earlier today when my wife didn't bother to
>>> put her's on a key chain which I did for her later on. I think it's
>>> a little harder to lose the key chain then just the key fob alone. Why
>>> do women think differently? I know that question doesn't belong in
>>> this newsgroup.

>>
>>You keep talking about a "key fob". There is no such thing; you have a
>>key. It happens to have a built-in remote transmitter, but in the end
>>all you have is a key. (And technically, even the separate remote
>>transmitters are not "key fobs".)

>
>
>Elmo, let me first apologize to you for using the wrong wording.
>According to Tegger, I should call this a key chip


Nope... I mean "chipped key" per Tegger. Sorry.



>(ignor what I
>referred to earlier as a key chip). For the record, regardless what I
>call it, it is a key that can open/close/start the car and has a black
>plastic at one end of the key with a transmitter to unlock/lock the
>doors and for the Accord, trunk too. The key chip I referred to
>earlier is what I seem to remember as a very small actually tiny,
>rectangular piece of metal (silver in color) that was on the key
>chain. It likely had something written/etched on it but I am guessing
>on that. I think I got this with the 2003 Accord when new (not on
>the key chain I'm using right now so I'll have to find it if my memory
>is correct) but did not get any thing like this for the new 2010 CR-V.
>Anyway using Tegger's terminology, this key chip (with the plastic) is
>what I am concerned about should it get lost. I guess I have to go to
>the dealer to replace. I just wondered how they know how to program
>it but if they reprogram it, no big deal I guess. I just have to be
>sure that if I have another for the same vehicle, that gets programed
>the same. No question, I need to read the manual and perhaps talk to
>the dealer too. Thank you Elmo for the help and patience. I've been
>cooped up inside due to illness but I hope to get out today or
>tomorrow. I want to get to the manuals for both the Accord and CR-V
>to help me ask the right questions.
>
>
>
>>
>>Are you saying it's harder to lose a key chain than just the key by
>>itself? I agree.
>>
>>Anyway, you have two issues here:
>>
>>1) the KEY itself has a security feature such that when you insert the
>>KEY and turn the ignition lock, the car queries the KEY to make sure
>>it's allowed to fire up the car. Should someone cut a copy of your KEY,
>>but it doesn't have the security feature, that copy of your KEY can open
>>the door but it won't start the car.
>>
>>This is completely separate from the other issue of:
>>
>>2) the remote transmitter, which locks and unlocks your car. It just so
>>happens that the remote transmitter is attached to the KEY head, so that
>>when you lose the KEY you also lose the remote transmitter.
>>
>>Your dealer (and many locksmiths) can make a copy of your KEY for you
>>(it doesn't have to have the remote transmitter attached). He will cut
>>a copy and then copy the security feature from your existing KEY over to
>>the new KEY.
>>
>>It is then painless to teach your car about the new remote transmitter
>>that is attached to your new KEY. The dealership will be happy to do it
>>for you for $50, or you can spend the ten seconds to do it yourself for
>>free.
>>
>>Should you lose all your KEYs, that's a problem. I've never experienced
>>this, but I've heard that setting up a new security link between the car
>>and a new set of security-enabled KEYs is expensive.
>>
>>To summarize: copying a KEY so that it fires up the car, not so easy or
>>casual as it used to be. Getting a new remote transmitter to lock and
>>unlock the doors, very easy.
>>
>>Why Honda insists on putting everything onto the KEY itself, dunno.
>>They should just move wholesale to the electronic KEY that you keep in
>>your pocket.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bought an integra gsr but the guy lost the master key how much and how fast can they replace it? Chri5 Acura Technical 6 18 Apr 2009 02:31 am
I lost both of my keys and fobs 2005 Civic!? Jessica C Honda Technical 4 15 Dec 2008 03:01 am
Question about Fobs Steve Janzen Acura 0 27 May 2008 11:49 pm
I had to replace a lost car key and the new one doesn't work. I feel like the dealer is... maiden25 Honda Technical 4 30 Oct 2007 11:30 am
programming key fobs jk Honda 2 1 05 Jun 2005 04:54 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.