Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 22 Dec 2009, 06:20 am
Guy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default best OBD II scanner for 2003 Accord or newer Hondas

I'm thinking of buying a scanner for my 2003 4cyl Accord LX but also
want to be able to use it on any newer Hondas I might buy. Any
recommendations for a non-mechanic ?

Also, on the 2003 Accord, where will this plug in? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 22 Dec 2009, 06:24 am
Seth
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: best OBD II scanner for 2003 Accord or newer Hondas

"Guy" <void@void.com> wrote in message
news:6be1j5916685unm27kkbusgu6q7rhd317t@4ax.com...
> I'm thinking of buying a scanner for my 2003 4cyl Accord LX but also
> want to be able to use it on any newer Hondas I might buy. Any
> recommendations for a non-mechanic ?
>
> Also, on the 2003 Accord, where will this plug in? Thanks.



I'm using a ScanGaugeII. Little pricey for what it does as a OBD II
Scanner, but also can be left plugged in for real-time system monitoring.

Plug should be in the drivers side footwell tucked up under the dash. On my
2001 it is closest to the left kick-panel.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 23 Dec 2009, 09:57 am
Stewart
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: best OBD II scanner for 2003 Accord or newer Hondas


"Guy" <void@void.com> wrote in message
news:6be1j5916685unm27kkbusgu6q7rhd317t@4ax.com...
> I'm thinking of buying a scanner for my 2003 4cyl Accord LX but also
> want to be able to use it on any newer Hondas I might buy. Any
> recommendations for a non-mechanic ?
>
> Also, on the 2003 Accord, where will this plug in? Thanks.


I wonder why they just don't put a USB interface in the cars already,
then distribute a program that would read the codes and dive directly
into the troubleshooting of the code based on the car ID.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 23 Dec 2009, 10:21 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: best OBD II scanner for 2003 Accord or newer Hondas

On 12/23/2009 07:57 AM, Stewart wrote:
> "Guy"<void@void.com> wrote in message
> news:6be1j5916685unm27kkbusgu6q7rhd317t@4ax.com...
>> I'm thinking of buying a scanner for my 2003 4cyl Accord LX but also
>> want to be able to use it on any newer Hondas I might buy. Any
>> recommendations for a non-mechanic ?
>>
>> Also, on the 2003 Accord, where will this plug in? Thanks.

>
> I wonder why they just don't put a USB interface in the cars already,
> then distribute a program that would read the codes and dive directly
> into the troubleshooting of the code based on the car ID.
>
>


car manufacturers fought a common obd standard tooth and nail. its
existence is one of the few instances where government actually got it
right and could see that fully proprietary coding would be the ultimate
in lock-in device and end up costing the consumer up the wazoo. it
would also put all the independent repair shops out of business
overnight, which is ultimately why we have what we have today.

but the car manufacturers still don't like it. the intent of obd has
been diluted with all the tier two codes, the "proprietary" codes, which
are completely inconsistent. iow, manufacturers, with constant lobbying
and back-door influence, want to make it difficult and more expensive
for a mom & pop garage to exist, and keep the vehicle coming back to the
dealer. you can expect that trend to continue - the nature of politics,
influence and business interests being what they are, a fully
"universal", accessible-by-anyone software interface will simply never
exist.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 23 Dec 2009, 12:09 pm
E. Meyer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: best OBD II scanner for 2003 Accord or newer Hondas

On 12/23/09 9:57 AM, in article hgtekh$pmm$1@news.eternal-september.org,
"Stewart" <gortamus@gmail.com> wrote:

>
> "Guy" <void@void.com> wrote in message
> news:6be1j5916685unm27kkbusgu6q7rhd317t@4ax.com...
>> I'm thinking of buying a scanner for my 2003 4cyl Accord LX but also
>> want to be able to use it on any newer Hondas I might buy. Any
>> recommendations for a non-mechanic ?
>>
>> Also, on the 2003 Accord, where will this plug in? Thanks.

>
> I wonder why they just don't put a USB interface in the cars already,
> then distribute a program that would read the codes and dive directly
> into the troubleshooting of the code based on the car ID.
>
>


I suspect the reason is that they don't WANT a widely distributed program
out there that can do that.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 23 Dec 2009, 01:26 pm
AZ Nomad
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: best OBD II scanner for 2003 Accord or newer Hondas

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 07:57:05 -0800, Stewart <gortamus@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Guy" <void@void.com> wrote in message
>news:6be1j5916685unm27kkbusgu6q7rhd317t@4ax.com.. .
>> I'm thinking of buying a scanner for my 2003 4cyl Accord LX but also
>> want to be able to use it on any newer Hondas I might buy. Any
>> recommendations for a non-mechanic ?
>>
>> Also, on the 2003 Accord, where will this plug in? Thanks.


>I wonder why they just don't put a USB interface in the cars already,
>then distribute a program that would read the codes and dive directly
>into the troubleshooting of the code based on the car ID.


It is the same reason they don't include shop manuals or free lifetime
maintainance with every car. They have no motivation to do so.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 23 Dec 2009, 06:11 pm
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: best OBD II scanner for 2003 Accord or newer Hondas

"E. Meyer" <e.p.meyer@verizon.net> wrote in
news:C757B910.14F8F%e.p.meyer@verizon.net:

> On 12/23/09 9:57 AM, in article hgtekh$pmm$1@news.eternal-september.org,
> "Stewart" <gortamus@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>
>> "Guy" <void@void.com> wrote in message
>> news:6be1j5916685unm27kkbusgu6q7rhd317t@4ax.com...
>>> I'm thinking of buying a scanner for my 2003 4cyl Accord LX but also
>>> want to be able to use it on any newer Hondas I might buy. Any
>>> recommendations for a non-mechanic ?
>>>
>>> Also, on the 2003 Accord, where will this plug in? Thanks.

>>
>> I wonder why they just don't put a USB interface in the cars already,
>> then distribute a program that would read the codes and dive directly
>> into the troubleshooting of the code based on the car ID.
>>
>>

>
> I suspect the reason is that they don't WANT a widely distributed program
> out there that can do that.
>
>


Google and you will find programs and interface cables to allow your laptop
to read the OBD-II codes.They aren't free,however.


for starters; http://www.thinkythings.org/obdii/

it has links to some commercial products.


--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
localnet
dot com
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 23 Dec 2009, 09:26 pm
Ed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: best OBD II scanner for 2003 Accord or newer Hondas

I use one of the laptop interfaces and I really like it. There is free
software available, although the free stuff is all generic OBDII. I rely on
it more for the live data than for codes, but it has been adequate, and has
helped me diagnose some tough ones. The one I bought was called ProScan, but
any of the elm interfaces work the same. It's a pretty inexpensive tool and
works pretty well.

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 24 Dec 2009, 07:47 am
Tony Harding
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: best OBD II scanner for 2003 Accord or newer Hondas

Jim Yanik wrote:
> "E. Meyer" <e.p.meyer@verizon.net> wrote in
> news:C757B910.14F8F%e.p.meyer@verizon.net:
>
>> On 12/23/09 9:57 AM, in article hgtekh$pmm$1@news.eternal-september.org,
>> "Stewart" <gortamus@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "Guy" <void@void.com> wrote in message
>>> news:6be1j5916685unm27kkbusgu6q7rhd317t@4ax.com...
>>>> I'm thinking of buying a scanner for my 2003 4cyl Accord LX but also
>>>> want to be able to use it on any newer Hondas I might buy. Any
>>>> recommendations for a non-mechanic ?
>>>>
>>>> Also, on the 2003 Accord, where will this plug in? Thanks.
>>> I wonder why they just don't put a USB interface in the cars already,
>>> then distribute a program that would read the codes and dive directly
>>> into the troubleshooting of the code based on the car ID.
>>>
>>>

>> I suspect the reason is that they don't WANT a widely distributed program
>> out there that can do that.

>
> Google and you will find programs and interface cables to allow your laptop
> to read the OBD-II codes.They aren't free,however.
>
> for starters; http://www.thinkythings.org/obdii/
>
> it has links to some commercial products.


I bought a commercial product from EASE Diagnostics for my 03 Accord
Sedan in 2004. IIRC it was about $250 for everything, e.g., interface
device, PC cables & software. It wasn't until I looked just now that I
saw they call their software "Scan Tool", so I'm guessing it's the same
product that Jim just described. Since 2004 I had to buy a Serial to USB
adapter because my new laptop doesn't have a serial port.

Don't know about their current pricing, but it runs flawlessly and has
been very helpful, e.g., when a had a failing O2 sensor.

http://www.obd2.com/scantool/scantool.htm
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 24 Dec 2009, 08:43 am
Stewart
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: best OBD II scanner for 2003 Accord or newer Hondas


"AZ Nomad" <aznomad.3@PremoveOBthisOX.COM> wrote in message
news:slrnhj4rmn.7j3.aznomad.3@ip70-176-155-130.ph.ph.cox.net...
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 07:57:05 -0800, Stewart <gortamus@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>"Guy" <void@void.com> wrote in message
>>news:6be1j5916685unm27kkbusgu6q7rhd317t@4ax.com. ..
>>> I'm thinking of buying a scanner for my 2003 4cyl Accord LX but
>>> also
>>> want to be able to use it on any newer Hondas I might buy. Any
>>> recommendations for a non-mechanic ?
>>>
>>> Also, on the 2003 Accord, where will this plug in? Thanks.

>
>>I wonder why they just don't put a USB interface in the cars
>>already,
>>then distribute a program that would read the codes and dive
>>directly
>>into the troubleshooting of the code based on the car ID.

>
> It is the same reason they don't include shop manuals or free
> lifetime
> maintainance with every car. They have no motivation to do so.
>


Maybe it will require an act of congress.....


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If hondas quality is so good then why does their 2003 accord have so many transmission problems? debo8967 Honda Technical 7 20 Apr 2009 05:16 pm
Scanner Tool RG Acura 5 15 Jul 2008 05:19 am
Do all newer Hondas including A/T civics have rev limiters when manufactured? fordguy Honda Technical 1 28 Oct 2007 06:00 am
Do all newer Hondas including A/T civics have rev limiters when manufactured? fordguy Honda Technical 1 28 Oct 2007 05:59 am
OBD II Scanner Tony Hwang Honda 2 9 21 Dec 2003 10:45 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.