Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 17 Nov 2009, 07:14 am
Bionic Man
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Top Tier Gasoline

For those of you that were interested in this topic from back in June,
the Road Ranger/Pilot
stations now have Top Tier gasoline. They are the first I've seen with
large Top Tier stickers on the pumps. I'm told they were certified in
late summer.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 17 Nov 2009, 11:00 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Top Tier Gasoline

Bionic Man <t.p.bernhardt@sbcglobal.net> wrote in news:2f069e73-e62e-44af-
ab6d-3a64ce4ad99f@z41g2000yqz.googlegroups.com:

> For those of you that were interested in this topic from back in June,
> the Road Ranger/Pilot
> stations now have Top Tier gasoline. They are the first I've seen with
> large Top Tier stickers on the pumps. I'm told they were certified in
> late summer.




The "Top Tier" gas standard dictates the use of lots of ethanol. I refuse
to use it for that reason.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 17 Nov 2009, 07:36 pm
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Top Tier Gasoline

In article
<2f069e73-e62e-44af-ab6d-3a64ce4ad99f@z41g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>,
Bionic Man <t.p.bernhardt@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> For those of you that were interested in this topic from back in June,
> the Road Ranger/Pilot
> stations now have Top Tier gasoline. They are the first I've seen with
> large Top Tier stickers on the pumps. I'm told they were certified in
> late summer.


http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Shows Road Ranger, but not Pilot.

Of interest: Turkey Hill, which is a division of Kroger. I would have
thought they'd use the same gas as Kroger, but apparently not--either
that, or Kroger is using Top Tier gas but not advertising it.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 17 Nov 2009, 07:37 pm
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Top Tier Gasoline

In article <Xns9CC679F2B528tegger@208.90.168.18>,
Tegger <invalid@invalid.inv> wrote:

> The "Top Tier" gas standard dictates the use of lots of ethanol.


And yet, it works great--at least the Shell stuff does. Better than
anyon else's gas.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 18 Nov 2009, 12:39 am
Leftie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Top Tier Gasoline

Tegger wrote:
> Bionic Man <t.p.bernhardt@sbcglobal.net> wrote in news:2f069e73-e62e-44af-
> ab6d-3a64ce4ad99f@z41g2000yqz.googlegroups.com:
>
>> For those of you that were interested in this topic from back in June,
>> the Road Ranger/Pilot
>> stations now have Top Tier gasoline. They are the first I've seen with
>> large Top Tier stickers on the pumps. I'm told they were certified in
>> late summer.

>
>
>
> The "Top Tier" gas standard dictates the use of lots of ethanol. I refuse
> to use it for that reason.
>
>


I understand there are problems with 20% ethanol, but what's your
beef with 10%? Our cars run great on it, including my Civic EX.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 18 Nov 2009, 07:04 am
C. E. White
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Top Tier Gasoline


"Tegger" <invalid@invalid.inv> wrote in message
news:Xns9CC679F2B528tegger@208.90.168.18...
> Bionic Man <t.p.bernhardt@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
> news:2f069e73-e62e-44af-
> ab6d-3a64ce4ad99f@z41g2000yqz.googlegroups.com:
>
>> For those of you that were interested in this topic from back in
>> June,
>> the Road Ranger/Pilot
>> stations now have Top Tier gasoline. They are the first I've seen
>> with
>> large Top Tier stickers on the pumps. I'm told they were certified
>> in
>> late summer.

>
>
>
> The "Top Tier" gas standard dictates the use of lots of ethanol. I
> refuse
> to use it for that reason.


Given the EPA tight control of gasoline formulas in certain areas, do
you really think it matters?

Ed


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 18 Nov 2009, 07:36 am
C. E. White
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Top Tier Gasoline


"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
news:elmop-F29537.20360217112009@news.eternal-september.org...
> In article
> <2f069e73-e62e-44af-ab6d-3a64ce4ad99f@z41g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>,
> Bionic Man <t.p.bernhardt@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> For those of you that were interested in this topic from back in
>> June,
>> the Road Ranger/Pilot
>> stations now have Top Tier gasoline. They are the first I've seen
>> with
>> large Top Tier stickers on the pumps. I'm told they were certified
>> in
>> late summer.

>
> http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
>
> Shows Road Ranger, but not Pilot.
>
> Of interest: Turkey Hill, which is a division of Kroger. I would
> have
> thought they'd use the same gas as Kroger, but apparently
> not--either
> that, or Kroger is using Top Tier gas but not advertising it.


I wonder if there is a "licensing fee" you have to pay if you claim
you are using "Top Tier" gasoline? If so, that might explain why some
stations advertise the fact and other don't, even if they are getting
their gasoline from the same tank.

I came across this article on "Road Ranger" gasoline:
http://www.businessrockford.com/bizn...rom-refineries

"Road Ranger promotes its gasoline as meeting "Top Tier" detergent
standards set by several automakers. Proponents say the additive
limits deposits in fuel systems and prolongs engine life, though there's
some debate whether it primarily benefits higher-end vehicles. Shell
and Phillips 66 also sell Top Tier gasoline locally, while other
retailers have their own blends of additives."

Ed


Ed


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 18 Nov 2009, 07:04 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Top Tier Gasoline

"C. E. White" <cewhite3@mindspring.com> wrote in news:he0rj2$abq$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

>
> "Tegger" <invalid@invalid.inv> wrote in message
> news:Xns9CC679F2B528tegger@208.90.168.18...

..
>>
>>
>>
>> The "Top Tier" gas standard dictates the use of lots of ethanol. I
>> refuse
>> to use it for that reason.

>
> Given the EPA tight control of gasoline formulas in certain areas, do
> you really think it matters?
>




I don't like being used as a sugar tit for farm and ethanol industry
lobbyists.



--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 18 Nov 2009, 08:18 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Top Tier Gasoline

On 11/17/2009 09:00 AM, Tegger wrote:
> Bionic Man<t.p.bernhardt@sbcglobal.net> wrote in news:2f069e73-e62e-44af-
> ab6d-3a64ce4ad99f@z41g2000yqz.googlegroups.com:
>
>> For those of you that were interested in this topic from back in June,
>> the Road Ranger/Pilot
>> stations now have Top Tier gasoline. They are the first I've seen with
>> large Top Tier stickers on the pumps. I'm told they were certified in
>> late summer.

>
>
>
> The "Top Tier" gas standard dictates the use of lots of ethanol. I refuse
> to use it for that reason.
>
>


you might enjoy this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent

10% ethanol drops energy content ~2%. we use about 378,000,000 gallons
of gas per day here in the u.s. anyone here good at business math?
what's the return on investment for showing up in washington with a few
million to, er, "lobby" our representatives for, er, "low emissions"
[10% ethanol] fuel? [factor in that ethanol enjoys producer tax breaks
too.]

and biodiesel - ever wondered why the owners of the distribution and
sales infrastructure can't be heard uttering a cheep in protest against
this stuff? could the fact that biodiesel has significantly lower
calorie content thereby increasing sales volumes have anything to do
with it?

bottom line - it's all about money and power - and continuation of same.
if there ever were actual intent to address consumption, emissions or
energy security, we'd all switch to diesel - much higher calorie content
and better thermodynamic efficiency means lower consumption and
therefore less of our money going overseas to despots and terrorism
sponsors.



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 20 Nov 2009, 08:23 pm
Grumpy AuContraire
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Top Tier Gasoline

jim beam wrote:
> On 11/17/2009 09:00 AM, Tegger wrote:
>> Bionic Man<t.p.bernhardt@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
>> news:2f069e73-e62e-44af-
>> ab6d-3a64ce4ad99f@z41g2000yqz.googlegroups.com:
>>
>>> For those of you that were interested in this topic from back in June,
>>> the Road Ranger/Pilot
>>> stations now have Top Tier gasoline. They are the first I've seen with
>>> large Top Tier stickers on the pumps. I'm told they were certified in
>>> late summer.

>>
>>
>>
>> The "Top Tier" gas standard dictates the use of lots of ethanol. I refuse
>> to use it for that reason.
>>
>>

>
> you might enjoy this:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent
>
> 10% ethanol drops energy content ~2%. we use about 378,000,000 gallons
> of gas per day here in the u.s. anyone here good at business math?
> what's the return on investment for showing up in washington with a few
> million to, er, "lobby" our representatives for, er, "low emissions"
> [10% ethanol] fuel? [factor in that ethanol enjoys producer tax breaks
> too.]
>
> and biodiesel - ever wondered why the owners of the distribution and
> sales infrastructure can't be heard uttering a cheep in protest against
> this stuff? could the fact that biodiesel has significantly lower
> calorie content thereby increasing sales volumes have anything to do
> with it?
>
> bottom line - it's all about money and power - and continuation of same.
> if there ever were actual intent to address consumption, emissions or
> energy security, we'd all switch to diesel - much higher calorie content
> and better thermodynamic efficiency means lower consumption and
> therefore less of our money going overseas to despots and terrorism
> sponsors.



Excellently put.

BTW, a lot of people around here are complaining about big reductions in
mpg since the intro of ethanol about a month ago. OTOH, I have
continued using Shell and the difference, (loss), is not apparent to me
so go figure...

JT


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can You Really Run Your Car on Water Instead of Gasoline? jenneylist@gmail.com Honda 2 10 22 Apr 2009 07:26 pm
Acura continues to push for Tier-1 status, NSX could be revived skylight Acura News 0 02 Feb 2009 09:20 pm
Gasoline EnginE skylight Honda Videos 0 22 Oct 2008 04:50 am
Regarding gasoline for Honda CR-V EX.? qiuyu f Honda Technical 3 29 Aug 2007 05:34 pm
Gasoline Crisis Brubl69 Honda 3 7 25 Feb 2004 09:27 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.