Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 16 Nov 2009, 10:39 am
zzznot
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default New Accord EX - third impressions

2010 EX 4 auto sedan, first tank of gas: 28mpg.

I think the first tank on my 2007 was about 29mpg,
and after it was broken in, it got about 31mpg on the same
kind of driving (mostly freeway, but often congested).

Driving the new car almost all below 3000rpm, mostly
below 2000rpm, only had it over 4000rpm a couple of times.
It really, really is optimized for low RPM torque, it
seems to me. Astounding for a 2.4 liter engine. Doesn't
seem to really kick at 5000rpm on the cam, like some
older Hondas did. Maybe this is progress. I guess if
I want to rev for power I can get the Civic Si or something.

I'm still trying to learn where the nose of the
car is, to get close to the garage wall when parking.
Can't really see it very well, and I keep thinking the
hood is longer - I keep leaving a foot or two between
the nose and the wall.

Which leads me to a peeve - no bumpers! The foremost
point on my car is - the license plate! And in any
kind of even low-speed collision, looks like the emblem
and hood go very quickly. Looking around at traffic,
a LOT of cars are designed this way - Lexus/Toyota seems
to be better, their fenders and bumpers preceed the
nose by at least a couple of inches. But some Mercedes
seem to lead with the grill, also, and it's practically
a Chrysler design element.

I managed to finish the 2007 lease with the original
hood undented but I'm not above a few little bumps and ouches
when driving a car over several years, maybe Honda
should offer a cowcatcher option for the likes of me.

J.


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 16 Nov 2009, 10:53 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New Accord EX - third impressions

"zzznot" <zzznot@invalid.net> wrote in news:hdrv82$aoe$1@news.eternal-
september.org:


>
> Which leads me to a peeve - no bumpers! The foremost
> point on my car is - the license plate! And in any
> kind of even low-speed collision, looks like the emblem
> and hood go very quickly. Looking around at traffic,
> a LOT of cars are designed this way - Lexus/Toyota seems
> to be better, their fenders and bumpers preceed the
> nose by at least a couple of inches. But some Mercedes
> seem to lead with the grill, also, and it's practically
> a Chrysler design element.
>




It's my understanding that this front-end design is on account of safety
regulations, both American and European.

The regulations are intended to make the front end of the car as roundy and
puffy and smooth as possible so as not to damage any pedesterians you might
wallop. I'm not kidding.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 16 Nov 2009, 12:26 pm
zzznot
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New Accord EX - third impressions


"Tegger" <invalid@invalid.inv> wrote in message
news:Xns9CC578B7C82D4tegger@208.90.168.18...
> It's my understanding that this front-end design is on account of safety
> regulations, both American and European.
>
> The regulations are intended to make the front end of the car as roundy
> and
> puffy and smooth as possible so as not to damage any pedesterians you
> might
> wallop. I'm not kidding.


More brilliant government regulations.

Cowcatcher would be much more humane than stamping
a big H in a pedestrian!

My other peeve is that Accord fender has trouble
reaching up to those on common SUVs. My 2004 I crunched
into the back of a Land Rover at about 4mph - much to their
undamaged amusement, and my $3,000 repair bill. Maybe that's
a problem with the SUV not reaching *down* far enough, but
it's me that seemed to suffer.

J.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 16 Nov 2009, 01:40 pm
Leftie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New Accord EX - third impressions

Tegger wrote:
> "zzznot" <zzznot@invalid.net> wrote in news:hdrv82$aoe$1@news.eternal-
> september.org:
>
>
>> Which leads me to a peeve - no bumpers! The foremost
>> point on my car is - the license plate! And in any
>> kind of even low-speed collision, looks like the emblem
>> and hood go very quickly. Looking around at traffic,
>> a LOT of cars are designed this way - Lexus/Toyota seems
>> to be better, their fenders and bumpers preceed the
>> nose by at least a couple of inches. But some Mercedes
>> seem to lead with the grill, also, and it's practically
>> a Chrysler design element.
>>

>
>
>
> It's my understanding that this front-end design is on account of safety
> regulations, both American and European.
>
> The regulations are intended to make the front end of the car as roundy and
> puffy and smooth as possible so as not to damage any pedesterians you might
> wallop. I'm not kidding.
>
>


If it's the Eeevil government's fault, then why do Toyotas not have
the Eeevil design?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 16 Nov 2009, 06:10 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New Accord EX - third impressions

Leftie <No@Thanks.net> wrote in news:w1hMm.35196$W77.21709@newsfe11.iad:

> Tegger wrote:
>> "zzznot" <zzznot@invalid.net> wrote in
>> news:hdrv82$aoe$1@news.eternal- september.org:
>>
>>
>>> Which leads me to a peeve - no bumpers! The foremost
>>> point on my car is - the license plate! And in any
>>> kind of even low-speed collision, looks like the emblem
>>> and hood go very quickly. Looking around at traffic,
>>> a LOT of cars are designed this way - Lexus/Toyota seems
>>> to be better, their fenders and bumpers preceed the
>>> nose by at least a couple of inches. But some Mercedes
>>> seem to lead with the grill, also, and it's practically
>>> a Chrysler design element.
>>>

>>
>>
>>
>> It's my understanding that this front-end design is on account of
>> safety regulations, both American and European.
>>
>> The regulations are intended to make the front end of the car as
>> roundy and puffy and smooth as possible so as not to damage any
>> pedesterians you might wallop. I'm not kidding.
>>
>>

>
> If it's the Eeevil government's fault, then why do Toyotas not
> have the Eeevil design?
>





They do. They ALL do these days.

Exact interpretation of the Eeevil laws is up to the designers of course,
but all cars are blimpily safety-fied these days.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 16 Nov 2009, 11:32 pm
Leftie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New Accord EX - third impressions

Tegger wrote:
> Leftie <No@Thanks.net> wrote in news:w1hMm.35196$W77.21709@newsfe11.iad:
>
>> Tegger wrote:
>>> "zzznot" <zzznot@invalid.net> wrote in
>>> news:hdrv82$aoe$1@news.eternal- september.org:
>>>
>>>
>>>> Which leads me to a peeve - no bumpers! The foremost
>>>> point on my car is - the license plate! And in any
>>>> kind of even low-speed collision, looks like the emblem
>>>> and hood go very quickly. Looking around at traffic,
>>>> a LOT of cars are designed this way - Lexus/Toyota seems
>>>> to be better, their fenders and bumpers preceed the
>>>> nose by at least a couple of inches. But some Mercedes
>>>> seem to lead with the grill, also, and it's practically
>>>> a Chrysler design element.
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> It's my understanding that this front-end design is on account of
>>> safety regulations, both American and European.
>>>
>>> The regulations are intended to make the front end of the car as
>>> roundy and puffy and smooth as possible so as not to damage any
>>> pedesterians you might wallop. I'm not kidding.
>>>
>>>

>> If it's the Eeevil government's fault, then why do Toyotas not
>> have the Eeevil design?
>>

>
>
>
>
> They do. They ALL do these days.
>
> Exact interpretation of the Eeevil laws is up to the designers of course,
> but all cars are blimpily safety-fied these days.
>
>


They don't have to build cars that crumple even in low-speed
crashes. That's just the cheaper way to do it.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 17 Nov 2009, 07:05 am
dgk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New Accord EX - third impressions

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:53:16 +0000 (UTC), Tegger <invalid@invalid.inv>
wrote:

>"zzznot" <zzznot@invalid.net> wrote in news:hdrv82$aoe$1@news.eternal-
>september.org:
>
>
>>
>> Which leads me to a peeve - no bumpers! The foremost
>> point on my car is - the license plate! And in any
>> kind of even low-speed collision, looks like the emblem
>> and hood go very quickly. Looking around at traffic,
>> a LOT of cars are designed this way - Lexus/Toyota seems
>> to be better, their fenders and bumpers preceed the
>> nose by at least a couple of inches. But some Mercedes
>> seem to lead with the grill, also, and it's practically
>> a Chrysler design element.
>>

>
>
>
>It's my understanding that this front-end design is on account of safety
>regulations, both American and European.
>
>The regulations are intended to make the front end of the car as roundy and
>puffy and smooth as possible so as not to damage any pedesterians you might
>wallop. I'm not kidding.


Then why do they build them with no bumper in the rear? Everywhere I
look I see new cars with some sort of mat hung on the back to keep the
back from getting all scratched up.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 17 Nov 2009, 07:21 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New Accord EX - third impressions

Leftie <No@Thanks.net> wrote in news:7JpMm.844$tz6.595@newsfe02.iad:

> Tegger wrote:


>>
>> Exact interpretation of the Eeevil laws is up to the designers of
>> course, but all cars are blimpily safety-fied these days.
>>
>>

>
> They don't have to build cars that crumple even in low-speed
> crashes.




Yes they do. That's the /whole point/ of the regulations.

When the regulations were being discussed, Jaguar even experimented with
small airbag-type explosive charges that elevated the hood above the engine
on a frontal impact in order to perform the cushioning effect the
regulations demanded. This would have enabled Jaguar to retain a sleeker
frontal design. They eventually discarded that idea on account of cost.


> That's just the cheaper way to do it.
>



It's the /legal/ way to do it, and automakers didn't do it until forced.

I've read interviews with automotive designers where they've said thay hate
the regulations because they result in bulbous and ungraceful front-ends.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 17 Nov 2009, 07:30 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New Accord EX - third impressions

dgk <dgk@somewhere.com> wrote in
news:5q75g5hkrfm2attt907btp1cnfgdtvk8g8@4ax.com:

> On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:53:16 +0000 (UTC), Tegger <invalid@invalid.inv>
> wrote:
>
>>"zzznot" <zzznot@invalid.net> wrote in news:hdrv82$aoe$1@news.eternal-
>>september.org:
>>
>>
>>>
>>> Which leads me to a peeve - no bumpers! The foremost
>>> point on my car is - the license plate! And in any
>>> kind of even low-speed collision, looks like the emblem
>>> and hood go very quickly. Looking around at traffic,
>>> a LOT of cars are designed this way - Lexus/Toyota seems
>>> to be better, their fenders and bumpers preceed the
>>> nose by at least a couple of inches. But some Mercedes
>>> seem to lead with the grill, also, and it's practically
>>> a Chrysler design element.
>>>

>>
>>
>>
>>It's my understanding that this front-end design is on account of
>>safety regulations, both American and European.
>>
>>The regulations are intended to make the front end of the car as
>>roundy and puffy and smooth as possible so as not to damage any
>>pedesterians you might wallop. I'm not kidding.

>
> Then why do they build them with no bumper in the rear? Everywhere I
> look I see new cars with some sort of mat hung on the back to keep the
> back from getting all scratched up.
>



Bumpers are ugly. Automakers since the early '60s have strived to make them
as unobtrusive as possible. It's the plastic skin that's so utterly and
annoyingly fragile, and that skin is there for at least two reasons besides
styling.

Since CAFE regulations started to bite, automakers have sought to fair-in
the bumpers as much as possible to avoid disturbances to the airstream,
which would cause drag and lower CAFE test results. This is best done with
a plastic skin that can be carefully molded to the body in a way that bare
steel can't.
CAFE also dictates /lighter/ bumpers, which automakers achieve by cloaking
a small rebar with styrofoam and that awful plastic skin.

Plus, the ostensible legal purpose of the bumpers (in Canada and the US,
the only two countries in the world with bumper regulations) is to protect
the "safety systems" of the car, which specifically means the headlights
and taillights. If those are mounted far back or high up, bumper impacts
won't result in damage to those lamps in the official tests even if the
bumper itself gets totally mangled.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 17 Nov 2009, 12:30 pm
Dillon Pyron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New Accord EX - third impressions

Thus spake Tegger <invalid@invalid.inv> :

>"zzznot" <zzznot@invalid.net> wrote in news:hdrv82$aoe$1@news.eternal-
>september.org:
>
>
>>
>> Which leads me to a peeve - no bumpers! The foremost
>> point on my car is - the license plate! And in any
>> kind of even low-speed collision, looks like the emblem
>> and hood go very quickly. Looking around at traffic,
>> a LOT of cars are designed this way - Lexus/Toyota seems
>> to be better, their fenders and bumpers preceed the
>> nose by at least a couple of inches. But some Mercedes
>> seem to lead with the grill, also, and it's practically
>> a Chrysler design element.
>>

>
>
>
>It's my understanding that this front-end design is on account of safety
>regulations, both American and European.
>
>The regulations are intended to make the front end of the car as roundy and
>puffy and smooth as possible so as not to damage any pedesterians you might
>wallop. I'm not kidding.


Remember a few years ago when Honda was actually advertising such a
design on the Civic?

I've seen three low speed "pedestrian encounters front bumper"
patients in the ER. If you've ever seen an episode of any of the CSI
shows where they talk about it, those are pretty much the injuries
you'll see. Broken femoral head on impact side, either tib-fib or
tri-mallalor on the opposide side and three to four anterior rib
fractures on the impact side. Usually some sort of C3-C4 injury.

Speeds over about 10 mph usually involve windsheild consumption.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

"Get a shot off fast. This upsets him long enough to
let you make your second shot perfect."

-- Lazurus Long
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Accord EX - second impressions JRStern Honda 2 9 06 Feb 2010 08:45 am
New Accord EX - first impressions JRStern Honda 2 0 29 Oct 2009 03:56 pm
2009 Honda Fit / First Impressions skylight Honda Videos 0 25 Mar 2008 12:50 pm
GMC Denali XT Concept/ First Impressions skylight Honda Videos 0 27 Feb 2008 07:20 am
Accord Coupe Driving Impressions & Resale Value traderfjp@yahoo.com Honda 1 0 31 May 2006 07:08 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.