Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 25 Oct 2009, 08:50 am
data D
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Honda Civic Emergency Brake - HELP!

Cheers,

I replaced the disc pads on my 2006 Honda Civic.

The brakes are working just fine... HOWEVER...
Now my Emergency Brake is not working...
There is NO tension on the hand lever.

Andy Ideas?
or where I can find out how to adjust
Thanks in Advance

Data Dr77
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 25 Oct 2009, 09:42 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda Civic Emergency Brake - HELP!

data D <datadr77@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:bpl8e556lc0skd0fs18njf7215o36bfg6k@4ax.com:

> Cheers,
>
> I replaced the disc pads on my 2006 Honda Civic.
>
> The brakes are working just fine... HOWEVER...
> Now my Emergency Brake is not working...
> There is NO tension on the hand lever.
>
> Andy Ideas?
> or where I can find out how to adjust
> Thanks in Advance
>
> Data Dr77
>



1) How did you get the pistons to go back in? Pushing or turning?

2) Did you disconnect the parking brake cables from the caliper?


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 25 Oct 2009, 05:19 pm
data D
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda Civic Emergency Brake - HELP!

Cheers,

Turned the pistons into the calipers...
No didn't remove the parking brake cables

dd77



On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 14:42:34 +0000 (UTC), Tegger <invalid@invalid.inv>
wrote:

>data D <datadr77@hotmail.com> wrote in
>news:bpl8e556lc0skd0fs18njf7215o36bfg6k@4ax.com :
>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> I replaced the disc pads on my 2006 Honda Civic.
>>
>> The brakes are working just fine... HOWEVER...
>> Now my Emergency Brake is not working...
>> There is NO tension on the hand lever.
>>
>> Andy Ideas?
>> or where I can find out how to adjust
>> Thanks in Advance
>>
>> Data Dr77
>>

>
>
>1) How did you get the pistons to go back in? Pushing or turning?
>
>2) Did you disconnect the parking brake cables from the caliper?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 25 Oct 2009, 05:53 pm
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda Civic Emergency Brake - HELP!

data D <datadr77@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:llj9e5tj6u9orhh9en891e2ie21a8lau6l@4ax.com:

> Cheers,
>
> Turned the pistons into the calipers...
> No didn't remove the parking brake cables
>
> dd77
>
>
>
> On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 14:42:34 +0000 (UTC), Tegger <invalid@invalid.inv>
> wrote:
>
>>data D <datadr77@hotmail.com> wrote in
>>news:bpl8e556lc0skd0fs18njf7215o36bfg6k@4ax.co m:
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> I replaced the disc pads on my 2006 Honda Civic.
>>>
>>> The brakes are working just fine... HOWEVER...
>>> Now my Emergency Brake is not working...
>>> There is NO tension on the hand lever.
>>>
>>> Andy Ideas?
>>> or where I can find out how to adjust
>>> Thanks in Advance
>>>
>>> Data Dr77
>>>

>>
>>
>>1) How did you get the pistons to go back in? Pushing or turning?
>>
>>2) Did you disconnect the parking brake cables from the caliper?

>


My Civic/Integra manual(94-00) shows an adjusting nut on the single short
cable coming from the handbrake arm,located underneath the center
console.the single cable pulls on a bar("equalizer") that pulls on the two
cables to the rear brakes.

the manual says you have to remove the center console to access this nut.

you might try investing in a Haynes manual for your specific model,or spend
more and get the factory Honda manual,or a Helms manual.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
localnet
dot com
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 25 Oct 2009, 08:17 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda Civic Emergency Brake - HELP!

data D <datadr77@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:llj9e5tj6u9orhh9en891e2ie21a8lau6l@4ax.com:

> On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 14:42:34 +0000 (UTC), Tegger <invalid@invalid.inv>
> wrote:


>>
>>
>>
>>1) How did you get the pistons to go back in? Pushing or turning?
>>
>>2) Did you disconnect the parking brake cables from the caliper?

>
>
> Cheers,
>
> Turned the pistons into the calipers...
> No didn't remove the parking brake cables
>
> dd77
>
>



Simply replacing the pads should have no effect at all on the parking
brake.

The parking brake cables pull on short levers on top of the calipers. They
are attached to the levers by means of a clevis-and-pin pivot arrangement.
The pivot must be free to rotate as the cables are tightened and released
by the hand lever.

Are the pivots on BOTH sides free to rotate when the parking brake is
released? Or is one seized? Remove the road wheels, release the parking
brake lever and wiggle each pivot by hand.

With the parking brake hand lever fully released, the pivot levers on the
calipers should not be touching their stop pins, but should be just short
of that. How are yours?



--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 26 Oct 2009, 03:42 am
data D
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda Civic Emergency Brake - HELP!

Cheers,

Will check this coming weekend and get back to you

Thanks

dd
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1991 honda civic LX emergency brake light switch gone bad? Dominic C Honda Technical 1 04 Nov 2008 11:31 pm
honda accord emergency brake light caliaccord Honda 3 8 29 Oct 2006 09:23 am
Re: Emergency Brake Locked Up Tuning Sensei Honda 2 1 24 Jun 2003 11:17 pm
Re: Emergency Brake Locked Up eightupman Honda 2 1 24 Jun 2003 11:16 pm
Re: Emergency Brake Locked Up Jason Faas Honda 2 0 24 Jun 2003 10:55 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.