Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 25 Oct 2009, 07:25 am
Face
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 92 Accord Temperature Gauge Problem

I have a 92 Accord LX 4dr with 207k miles on it. The temperature gauge
started acting up recently. When I start the car the gauge immediately
goes to the top and just stays there until a few seconds after I turn
the car off. Then it slowly drops down to the bottom. The antifreeze
level is good and I made sure there are no bubbles in the system by
opening the bleed bolt until the coolant runs steady with no bubbles in
it. In fact if I turn the key to the accessory position the gauge will
max out before the car is even started. The car runs fine otherwise.

Any ideas what the problem might be? Bad gauge or bad sending unit?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 25 Oct 2009, 08:11 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 92 Accord Temperature Gauge Problem

Face <face@yahoo.com> wrote in news:face-F0CEBC.08251425102009
@newsfarm.iad.highwinds-media.com:

> I have a 92 Accord LX 4dr with 207k miles on it. The temperature gauge
> started acting up recently. When I start the car the gauge immediately
> goes to the top and just stays there until a few seconds after I turn
> the car off. Then it slowly drops down to the bottom. The antifreeze
> level is good and I made sure there are no bubbles in the system by
> opening the bleed bolt until the coolant runs steady with no bubbles in
> it. In fact if I turn the key to the accessory position the gauge will
> max out before the car is even started. The car runs fine otherwise.
>
> Any ideas what the problem might be? Bad gauge or bad sending unit?
>
> Thanks
>




Sounds like a bad gauge.

Unplug the sender unit, which is a one-wire thingy at the rear of the
header (opposite end from the timing belt). If the gauge still acts the
same, the gauge is bad. If the gauge then does nothing, then the sender is
bad.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 25 Oct 2009, 08:37 pm
Face
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 92 Accord Temperature Gauge Problem

In article <Xns9CAF5D65314F5tegger@208.90.168.18>,
Tegger <invalid@invalid.inv> wrote:

> Face <face@yahoo.com> wrote in news:face-F0CEBC.08251425102009
> @newsfarm.iad.highwinds-media.com:
>
> > I have a 92 Accord LX 4dr with 207k miles on it. The temperature gauge
> > started acting up recently. When I start the car the gauge immediately
> > goes to the top and just stays there until a few seconds after I turn
> > the car off. Then it slowly drops down to the bottom. The antifreeze
> > level is good and I made sure there are no bubbles in the system by
> > opening the bleed bolt until the coolant runs steady with no bubbles in
> > it. In fact if I turn the key to the accessory position the gauge will
> > max out before the car is even started. The car runs fine otherwise.
> >
> > Any ideas what the problem might be? Bad gauge or bad sending unit?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

>
>
>
> Sounds like a bad gauge.
>
> Unplug the sender unit, which is a one-wire thingy at the rear of the
> header (opposite end from the timing belt). If the gauge still acts the
> same, the gauge is bad. If the gauge then does nothing, then the sender is
> bad.


Tegger,

Did it and the gauge did nothing so it must be a bad sending unit.

Will try to pick one up tomorrow. I'm guessing the dealer will have to
order one though.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 25 Oct 2009, 09:23 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 92 Accord Temperature Gauge Problem

Face <face@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:face-BD8798.21375525102009@newsfarm.iad.highwinds-media.com:

> In article <Xns9CAF5D65314F5tegger@208.90.168.18>,
> Tegger <invalid@invalid.inv> wrote:
>


>>
>> Unplug the sender unit, which is a one-wire thingy at the rear of the
>> header (opposite end from the timing belt). If the gauge still acts
>> the same, the gauge is bad. If the gauge then does nothing, then the
>> sender is bad.

>
> Tegger,
>
> Did it and the gauge did nothing so it must be a bad sending unit.
>
> Will try to pick one up tomorrow. I'm guessing the dealer will have
> to order one though.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>



If you order it early enough in the morning, they may be able to get it
same-day.

The danger here is the short in the sender unit may have caused damage to
the gauge, so if the temperature gauge still acts oddly, you may have to
get another one. You can find a cheap replacement at a wrecking yard.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 25 Oct 2009, 09:26 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 92 Accord Temperature Gauge Problem

Tegger <invalid@invalid.inv> wrote in
news:Xns9CAF5D65314F5tegger@208.90.168.18:


>
>
> Sounds like a bad gauge.
>




Sorry, meant to type "SENDER", not "gauge". Just noticed this now.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 26 Oct 2009, 04:55 pm
Face
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 92 Accord Temperature Gauge Problem

In article <Xns9CAFE3AC9711Ctegger@208.90.168.18>,
Tegger <invalid@invalid.inv> wrote:

> Face <face@yahoo.com> wrote in
> news:face-BD8798.21375525102009@newsfarm.iad.highwinds-media.com:
>
> > In article <Xns9CAF5D65314F5tegger@208.90.168.18>,
> > Tegger <invalid@invalid.inv> wrote:
> >

>
> >>
> >> Unplug the sender unit, which is a one-wire thingy at the rear of the
> >> header (opposite end from the timing belt). If the gauge still acts
> >> the same, the gauge is bad. If the gauge then does nothing, then the
> >> sender is bad.

> >
> > Tegger,
> >
> > Did it and the gauge did nothing so it must be a bad sending unit.
> >
> > Will try to pick one up tomorrow. I'm guessing the dealer will have
> > to order one though.
> >
> > Thanks for the help.
> >

>
>
> If you order it early enough in the morning, they may be able to get it
> same-day.
>
> The danger here is the short in the sender unit may have caused damage to
> the gauge, so if the temperature gauge still acts oddly, you may have to
> get another one. You can find a cheap replacement at a wrecking yard.


The dealer didn't have one in stock so they had to order one. They said
it would be a day or two. I left the unit unplugged. Hopefully the
gauge is still ok. I don't really want to have to pull the instrument
cluster. If it is I'll start calling junk yards.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 26 Oct 2009, 06:06 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 92 Accord Temperature Gauge Problem

Face <face@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:face-B6A749.17555426102009@newsfarm.iad.highwinds-media.com:

> In article <Xns9CAFE3AC9711Ctegger@208.90.168.18>,
> Tegger <invalid@invalid.inv> wrote:
>


>>
>> The danger here is the short in the sender unit may have caused
>> damage to the gauge, so if the temperature gauge still acts oddly,
>> you may have to get another one. You can find a cheap replacement at
>> a wrecking yard.

>
> The dealer didn't have one in stock so they had to order one. They
> said it would be a day or two. I left the unit unplugged. Hopefully
> the gauge is still ok. I don't really want to have to pull the
> instrument cluster. If it is I'll start calling junk yards.




You're probably OK. It's probably more likely the sender has just lost some
of its resistance rather than actually shorted. The loss of resistance can
be detected with a multimeter (S/B 142 ohms at cold, approx 35 at full op-
temp).

Some clarification: the "sender" unit isn't really a "sender", but a
variable grounder. Current goes through the gauge and then to ground
through the sender. The sender has variable resistance that decreases with
increased coolant temperature. Decreased resistance means more current
flowing to ground and a higher gauge needle reading.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 27 Oct 2009, 05:45 pm
Face
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 92 Accord Temperature Gauge Problem

In article <Xns9CB0C235F7A98tegger@208.90.168.18>,
Tegger <invalid@invalid.inv> wrote:

> Face <face@yahoo.com> wrote in
> news:face-B6A749.17555426102009@newsfarm.iad.highwinds-media.com:
>
> > In article <Xns9CAFE3AC9711Ctegger@208.90.168.18>,
> > Tegger <invalid@invalid.inv> wrote:
> >

>
> >>
> >> The danger here is the short in the sender unit may have caused
> >> damage to the gauge, so if the temperature gauge still acts oddly,
> >> you may have to get another one. You can find a cheap replacement at
> >> a wrecking yard.

> >
> > The dealer didn't have one in stock so they had to order one. They
> > said it would be a day or two. I left the unit unplugged. Hopefully
> > the gauge is still ok. I don't really want to have to pull the
> > instrument cluster. If it is I'll start calling junk yards.

>
>
>
> You're probably OK. It's probably more likely the sender has just lost some
> of its resistance rather than actually shorted. The loss of resistance can
> be detected with a multimeter (S/B 142 ohms at cold, approx 35 at full op-
> temp).
>
> Some clarification: the "sender" unit isn't really a "sender", but a
> variable grounder. Current goes through the gauge and then to ground
> through the sender. The sender has variable resistance that decreases with
> increased coolant temperature. Decreased resistance means more current
> flowing to ground and a higher gauge needle reading.


Thanks for the clarification. I checked the resistance and it reads as
0 so I'm guessing that means it's dead. Went to pick up the part and it
was the wrong one. They ordered the sensor that goes in the thermostat
housing so I'll have to wait a couple more days.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 27 Oct 2009, 06:50 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 92 Accord Temperature Gauge Problem

Face <face@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:face-152A78.18451127102009@newsfarm.iad.highwinds-media.com:

> In article <Xns9CB0C235F7A98tegger@208.90.168.18>,
> Tegger <invalid@invalid.inv> wrote:
>


>>
>> You're probably OK. It's probably more likely the sender has just
>> lost some of its resistance rather than actually shorted. The loss of
>> resistance can be detected with a multimeter (S/B 142 ohms at cold,
>> approx 35 at full op- temp).
>>
>> Some clarification: the "sender" unit isn't really a "sender", but a
>> variable grounder. Current goes through the gauge and then to ground
>> through the sender. The sender has variable resistance that decreases
>> with increased coolant temperature. Decreased resistance means more
>> current flowing to ground and a higher gauge needle reading.

>
> Thanks for the clarification. I checked the resistance and it reads
> as 0 so I'm guessing that means it's dead.




Zero ohms? Ugh. You may actually have a dead-short there. Watch that gauge
once the new sender is installed.



--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 28 Oct 2009, 08:20 pm
Face
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 92 Accord Temperature Gauge Problem

In article <Xns9CB1C9C207743tegger@208.90.168.18>,
Tegger <invalid@invalid.inv> wrote:

> Face <face@yahoo.com> wrote in
> news:face-152A78.18451127102009@newsfarm.iad.highwinds-media.com:
>
> > In article <Xns9CB0C235F7A98tegger@208.90.168.18>,
> > Tegger <invalid@invalid.inv> wrote:
> >

>
> >>
> >> You're probably OK. It's probably more likely the sender has just
> >> lost some of its resistance rather than actually shorted. The loss of
> >> resistance can be detected with a multimeter (S/B 142 ohms at cold,
> >> approx 35 at full op- temp).
> >>
> >> Some clarification: the "sender" unit isn't really a "sender", but a
> >> variable grounder. Current goes through the gauge and then to ground
> >> through the sender. The sender has variable resistance that decreases
> >> with increased coolant temperature. Decreased resistance means more
> >> current flowing to ground and a higher gauge needle reading.

> >
> > Thanks for the clarification. I checked the resistance and it reads
> > as 0 so I'm guessing that means it's dead.

>
>
>
> Zero ohms? Ugh. You may actually have a dead-short there. Watch that gauge
> once the new sender is installed.


Yep, 0. Before I unhooked it the guage was still going up and down.
I'm really hoping that it's ok. When I replace the sender I'm going to
change the antifreeze. Do you recommend going with Honda antifreeze?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda Accord 2000 Engine Temperature Gauge rojarpatel Honda Technical 0 10 Sep 2009 07:39 pm
i have a 93 honda accord doesnt overheat but when i drive it temperature gauge goes to cold? Jerry H Honda Technical 5 20 Sep 2007 12:08 pm
My 91 Legend temperature gauge keeps goin up, what could be the problem? legend91urban Acura Technical 9 21 Aug 2007 03:08 pm
2004 Accord LX V6 out side temperature gauge Ghori Honda 3 22 17 Feb 2004 01:23 pm
coolant temperature gauge not working - 1991 accord talituli Honda 3 1 09 Nov 2003 02:21 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.