Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2009, 07:10 am
blythe b
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Honda airbags that impale you with shards of metal

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/31/hon...all/index.html
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2009, 08:14 am
RickMerrill
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda airbags that impale you with shards of metal

blythe b wrote:
> http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/31/hon...all/index.html



Maybe you should Shut your eyes upon impact? ;-)

Also, remember to put your hands at 9:00 and 3:00.
If you put your hands at the old 10-2 and the airbag
fires off it has happened that the driver's thumbs were broken!

Hands now go at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock if you drive with airbags.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2009, 09:48 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda airbags that impale you with shards of metal

blythe b <mbowman155@gmail.com> wrote in news:8e13a836-cfb6-4fb4-a6c0-
24e9291e3b81@l2g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

> http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/31/hon...all/index.html



The USA remains the only country in the world that has a wacky legal
requirement that bombs be installed in car's interior, aimed directly at
the occupants. Then they require that big yellow labels be stuck
everywhere, warning you that the bombs will kill your kids so make sure you
put the little dears where the bombs can't reach them. Sheesh.

For those of you in Canada, bomb disablement is quite legal, and is
available at any garage for about $40 (don't know if that's per bomb or an
all-in price).

Do you know what detonates the bombs? Sodium azide, the same stuff they use
to light off high-explosives. Auto dealership technicians have fun
detonating surplus airbags in the parking lot. Sometimes they try to see
how high the bags will go when ignited, which can be up to forty feet. Fun,
wow!


--
Tegger

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2009, 11:38 pm
Leftie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda airbags that impale you with shards of metal

Tegger wrote:
> blythe b <mbowman155@gmail.com> wrote in news:8e13a836-cfb6-4fb4-a6c0-
> 24e9291e3b81@l2g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:
>
>> http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/31/hon...all/index.html

>
>
> The USA remains the only country in the world that has a wacky legal
> requirement that bombs be installed in car's interior, aimed directly at
> the occupants. Then they require that big yellow labels be stuck
> everywhere, warning you that the bombs will kill your kids so make sure you
> put the little dears where the bombs can't reach them. Sheesh.
>
> For those of you in Canada, bomb disablement is quite legal, and is
> available at any garage for about $40 (don't know if that's per bomb or an
> all-in price).
>
> Do you know what detonates the bombs? Sodium azide, the same stuff they use
> to light off high-explosives. Auto dealership technicians have fun
> detonating surplus airbags in the parking lot. Sometimes they try to see
> how high the bags will go when ignited, which can be up to forty feet. Fun,
> wow!
>
>


And yet only Honda seems to have decided to make them *shrapnel*
bombs...
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 16 Oct 2009, 06:19 am
sci.space
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda airbags that impale you with shards of metal

Crunchy frog, anyone? Have to keep those Monty Python episodes away
from Honda designers.

Dave
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 16 Oct 2009, 07:36 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda airbags that impale you with shards of metal

"sci.space" <harrisonspace@gmail.com> wrote in news:29708244-0d10-40f8-
90f5-ed25a708db42@11g2000yqp.googlegroups.com:

> Crunchy frog, anyone? Have to keep those Monty Python episodes away
> from Honda designers.
>
> Dave



You could take the bones out... ;^)


--
Tegger

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 16 Oct 2009, 02:59 pm
Dillon Pyron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda airbags that impale you with shards of metal

Thus spake RickMerrill <Rick0.merrill@gmail.lessspam.com> :

>blythe b wrote:
>> http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/31/hon...all/index.html

>
>
>Maybe you should Shut your eyes upon impact? ;-)
>
>Also, remember to put your hands at 9:00 and 3:00.
>If you put your hands at the old 10-2 and the airbag
>fires off it has happened that the driver's thumbs were broken!


Urban myth. The energy isn't enough to do more than remove your hands
from the wheel.

>
>Hands now go at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock if you drive with airbags.


9 and 3 because you have much greater control. And shuffle steer.
Although I have always driven my race cars "hands on" because you can
"lose" them. Now I drive my Fit that way at speeds greater than about
6 mph to keep the fingers on the paddles.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

Patrick Swayze, now there was talent
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 17 Oct 2009, 09:52 am
JRStern
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda airbags that impale you with shards of metal

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 02:48:44 +0000 (UTC), Tegger <invalid@invalid.inv>
wrote:

>blythe b <mbowman155@gmail.com> wrote in news:8e13a836-cfb6-4fb4-a6c0-
>24e9291e3b81@l2g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:
>
>> http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/31/hon...all/index.html

>
>
>The USA remains the only country in the world that has a wacky legal
>requirement that bombs be installed in car's interior, aimed directly at
>the occupants. Then they require that big yellow labels be stuck
>everywhere, warning you that the bombs will kill your kids so make sure you
>put the little dears where the bombs can't reach them. Sheesh.


what he said


>For those of you in Canada, bomb disablement is quite legal, and is
>available at any garage for about $40 (don't know if that's per bomb or an
>all-in price).


must be all those conscientious objectors we sent them!

J.

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 17 Oct 2009, 03:39 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda airbags that impale you with shards of metal

JRStern <JRStern@foobar.invalid> wrote in
news:lemjd5d2fcg1o3gbdbtpe19q3bp4e1pvtl@4ax.com:

> On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 02:48:44 +0000 (UTC), Tegger <invalid@invalid.inv>
> wrote:
>
>>blythe b <mbowman155@gmail.com> wrote in news:8e13a836-cfb6-4fb4-a6c0-
>>24e9291e3b81@l2g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:
>>
>>> http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/31/hon...all/index.html

>>
>>
>>The USA remains the only country in the world that has a wacky legal
>>requirement that bombs be installed in car's interior, aimed directly
>>at the occupants. Then they require that big yellow labels be stuck
>>everywhere, warning you that the bombs will kill your kids so make
>>sure you put the little dears where the bombs can't reach them.
>>Sheesh.

>
> what he said
>
>
>>For those of you in Canada, bomb disablement is quite legal, and is
>>available at any garage for about $40 (don't know if that's per bomb
>>or an all-in price).

>
> must be all those conscientious objectors we sent them!
>



I was told that insurance companies up here have mixed feelings about
airbags. Bags are very expensive to replace after a collision, and there's
often collateral damage when the bags break windshields and damage
interiors, plus they cause a lot of minor (and sometimes not so minor)
injuries when they deploy. All that's very expensive for the insurance
companies.

Up here there are neither rewards for having airbags nor penalties for
disabling them.


--
Tegger

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 17 Oct 2009, 05:49 pm
Dillon Pyron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda airbags that impale you with shards of metal

Thus spake Tegger <invalid@invalid.inv> :

>JRStern <JRStern@foobar.invalid> wrote in
>news:lemjd5d2fcg1o3gbdbtpe19q3bp4e1pvtl@4ax.com :
>
>> On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 02:48:44 +0000 (UTC), Tegger <invalid@invalid.inv>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>blythe b <mbowman155@gmail.com> wrote in news:8e13a836-cfb6-4fb4-a6c0-
>>>24e9291e3b81@l2g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:
>>>
>>>> http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/31/hon...all/index.html
>>>
>>>
>>>The USA remains the only country in the world that has a wacky legal
>>>requirement that bombs be installed in car's interior, aimed directly
>>>at the occupants. Then they require that big yellow labels be stuck
>>>everywhere, warning you that the bombs will kill your kids so make
>>>sure you put the little dears where the bombs can't reach them.
>>>Sheesh.

>>
>> what he said
>>
>>
>>>For those of you in Canada, bomb disablement is quite legal, and is
>>>available at any garage for about $40 (don't know if that's per bomb
>>>or an all-in price).

>>
>> must be all those conscientious objectors we sent them!
>>

>
>
>I was told that insurance companies up here have mixed feelings about
>airbags. Bags are very expensive to replace after a collision, and there's
>often collateral damage when the bags break windshields and damage
>interiors, plus they cause a lot of minor (and sometimes not so minor)
>injuries when they deploy. All that's very expensive for the insurance
>companies.


My wife's low speed accident resulted in some surprising structural
damage, but a goodly chunk went to replacing the bags, seatbelts,
pretnesioners and front windshield, which was totalled on the pax side
but not the driver's side, which the body shop said is quite typical
of airbag deployment.

Technically, you're supposed to replace the bags every ten years.
Yeah, sure. If you've done so, please leave a twenty under your front
door mat. I'll be by tomorrow to replace it with two tens.

>
>Up here there are neither rewards for having airbags nor penalties for
>disabling them.

--

- dillon I am not invalid

Patrick Swayze, now there was talent
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1997 acura integra. metal on metal scraping when i turn? flowers86 Acura Technical 2 19 Apr 2009 09:46 pm
Metal on metal popping sound from front of car csterner Acura Technical 0 14 Nov 2008 08:27 am
My 1994 honda accord is makin a squeaky noise like metal to metal scratching eachother when i steer Livin life without a past. Honda Technical 4 22 Oct 2007 08:59 pm
99 Civic Just got new Motor Mounts, Timing B, Car making Metal to Metal noise on idle pcfabix Honda 2 9 11 Jul 2004 04:36 pm
Anyone using metal tapes with their Honda factory stereo? Andy Honda 3 4 29 Sep 2003 07:09 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.