Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 20 Jun 2004, 03:59 pm
Jeff
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default How to clean/maintain exterior?

I've been driving a '91 Corolla for many years and so never cared about
cleaning it or maintaining the exterior, but I just purchased a 2000
Accord with a like-new looking shiny white finish, and now I feel like
I'm behind the curve in knowing how to care for the paint/finish. What
are some tips for maintenance and safe reliable products for (that won't
do more harm than good)?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 20 Jun 2004, 04:52 pm
HondaNewbie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How to clean/maintain exterior?

Start with the most simple thing.
Bring a car duster, available at Wal-Mart or local Pepboys /AutoZone outlet
for $10 - $15.
Dust your car regularly and before a wash.

For washing if u have hose pipe and outlet for the water near the drive way
or somewhere u park the car, u can bring car wash liquid (use it as per
instructions).
Bring Chamois or some white towels (specially for drying the car after a
wash)

Waxing the car after washing and drying a car also helps, but it bit tedious
process. But helps in maintaining the paint of the car.

check this website for some great tips.
http://www.samarins.com/maintenance/bodymain.html

hth
HN
<jeff@invalid.net> wrote in message
news:jeff-6EEA96.16591720062004@news.east.cox.net...
> I've been driving a '91 Corolla for many years and so never cared about
> cleaning it or maintaining the exterior, but I just purchased a 2000
> Accord with a like-new looking shiny white finish, and now I feel like
> I'm behind the curve in knowing how to care for the paint/finish. What
> are some tips for maintenance and safe reliable products for (that won't
> do more harm than good)?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions,
> Jeff



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 21 Jun 2004, 05:48 am
M.C. Tee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How to clean/maintain exterior?

unless you live in california, a car duster is almost useless. Go get some
supplies like car wash (dont use dish liquid), good quality wash mitt, lint
free cloth's, chamois. Diffeniately wax your vechile, once a month is fine
for most people. Where the car is a 2000, id go pick up a clay bar kit and
do that before waxing it, it will get out all the fine particles of dirt
that are embedded in your paint that you can't see. Get a good quality wax,
mothers or maguiars should be fine. Follow the instructions on the boxes and
your paint should look a hell of alot better and last alot longer




"HondaNewbie" <klutulu@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:cb50ul$np1$1@gist.usc.edu...
> Start with the most simple thing.
> Bring a car duster, available at Wal-Mart or local Pepboys /AutoZone

outlet
> for $10 - $15.
> Dust your car regularly and before a wash.
>
> For washing if u have hose pipe and outlet for the water near the drive

way
> or somewhere u park the car, u can bring car wash liquid (use it as per
> instructions).
> Bring Chamois or some white towels (specially for drying the car after a
> wash)
>
> Waxing the car after washing and drying a car also helps, but it bit

tedious
> process. But helps in maintaining the paint of the car.
>
> check this website for some great tips.
> http://www.samarins.com/maintenance/bodymain.html
>
> hth
> HN
> <jeff@invalid.net> wrote in message
> news:jeff-6EEA96.16591720062004@news.east.cox.net...
> > I've been driving a '91 Corolla for many years and so never cared about
> > cleaning it or maintaining the exterior, but I just purchased a 2000
> > Accord with a like-new looking shiny white finish, and now I feel like
> > I'm behind the curve in knowing how to care for the paint/finish. What
> > are some tips for maintenance and safe reliable products for (that won't
> > do more harm than good)?
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions,
> > Jeff

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 21 Jun 2004, 07:51 am
Harry Cox
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How to clean/maintain exterior?

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:18:15 -0230, "M.C. Tee"
<tedwards@LEAVEMEALONEroadrunner.nf.net> wrote:

>unless you live in california, a car duster is almost useless. Go get some
>supplies like car wash (dont use dish liquid), ...


What's wrong with dish liquid?

H.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 21 Jun 2004, 08:56 am
Rich
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How to clean/maintain exterior?

Well, let me put it this way.... would you use frying oil to lube your
car engine?


Harry Cox wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:18:15 -0230, "M.C. Tee"
> <tedwards@LEAVEMEALONEroadrunner.nf.net> wrote:
>
>
>>unless you live in california, a car duster is almost useless. Go get some
>>supplies like car wash (dont use dish liquid), ...

>
>
> What's wrong with dish liquid?
>
> H.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 21 Jun 2004, 10:10 am
Brian Smith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How to clean/maintain exterior?


"Harry Cox" <Cox@SomeDomain.com> wrote in message
news:2dmdd0p5daq6nlts067c5til7j3tcku1sb@4ax.com...
>
> What's wrong with dish liquid?


It strips the wax off the car.

--
Brian

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday,
lying in hospitals dying of nothing.


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 21 Jun 2004, 10:16 am
Harry Cox
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How to clean/maintain exterior?

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 12:10:14 -0300, "Brian Smith"
<Halifax@NovaScotia.Canada> wrote:

>
>"Harry Cox" <Cox@SomeDomain.com> wrote in message
>news:2dmdd0p5daq6nlts067c5til7j3tcku1sb@4ax.com.. .
>>
>> What's wrong with dish liquid?

>
>It strips the wax off the car.


All detergents do that, and that's okay if you are going to re-wax it.

H.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 21 Jun 2004, 10:16 am
Edward Hayes
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How to clean/maintain exterior?

Since your' starting from zero. Wash the car with liquid dish wax as it will
remove all wax and oil and some other ugly stuff. Then maybe clay bar.
Rewash car and apply a good polish like Maguire's. Then a good polymer wax
like NuFinish. From then on wash only with car wash detergent.
"Rich" <Email@goes.here> wrote in message
news:QNBBc.3284$nx7.3015@news01.roc.ny...
> Well, let me put it this way.... would you use frying oil to lube your
> car engine?
>
>
> Harry Cox wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:18:15 -0230, "M.C. Tee"
> > <tedwards@LEAVEMEALONEroadrunner.nf.net> wrote:
> >
> >
> >>unless you live in california, a car duster is almost useless. Go get

some
> >>supplies like car wash (dont use dish liquid), ...

> >
> >
> > What's wrong with dish liquid?
> >
> > H.



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 21 Jun 2004, 10:27 am
Brian Smith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How to clean/maintain exterior?


"Harry Cox" <Cox@SomeDomain.com> wrote in message
news:jsudd0d3f9rhb2i2relk3elmqudcldrbhn@4ax.com...
>
> All detergents do that, and that's okay if you are going to re-wax it.


No they don't. Some are manufactured to not remove the wax, just the dirt.

--
Brian

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day,
teach that person to use the internet and they
won't bother you for weeks.


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 21 Jun 2004, 12:10 pm
The HondaNewbie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How to clean/maintain exterior?


"Brian Smith" <Halifax@NovaScotia.Canada> wrote in message
news:rTCBc.8134$vO1.66265@nnrp1.uunet.ca...
>
> "Harry Cox" <Cox@SomeDomain.com> wrote in message
> news:2dmdd0p5daq6nlts067c5til7j3tcku1sb@4ax.com...
> >
> > What's wrong with dish liquid?

>
> It strips the wax off the car.
>


Nope, never try a dish liquid ....it can also damage the body paint.
Detergents definately are harmful. Never try to even experiment it.

HN

> --
> Brian
>
> Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday,
> lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
>
>



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
exterior care? A.Nonimus@nospam.tv Honda 2 3 28 Mar 2007 12:51 pm
exterior care? A.Nonimus@nospam.tv Honda 1 1 04 Mar 2007 08:59 pm
Reseting the maintain engine light. edgossjbs@verizon.net Honda 2 6 14 Apr 2005 07:41 am
Exterior Temperature Sensor on CRV Leroy Honda 2 5 17 Jan 2005 11:17 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.