Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 19 Jun 2004, 01:40 pm
DaveT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default wheel vibration

Hey guys,

Just bought a 1992 Honda Accord and when I drove it at highway speeds, I
hear a thumping sound from the front tires, car rides like it riding on
little bumps, steering wheel vibrates. What could this mean? Car is under
warranty, so I can get it fixed.

Thanks for any advice,

Dave


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 19 Jun 2004, 02:02 pm
JXStern
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: wheel vibration

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:40:26 GMT, "DaveT" <bgates@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:
> Just bought a 1992 Honda Accord and when I drove it at highway speeds, I
>hear a thumping sound from the front tires, car rides like it riding on
>little bumps, steering wheel vibrates. What could this mean? Car is under
>warranty, so I can get it fixed.


First thing gotta be to have the tires rebalanced. Or even look at
them, see if there are spots of heavy wear.

J.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 19 Jun 2004, 02:18 pm
Cosmin N.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: wheel vibration

JXStern wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:40:26 GMT, "DaveT" <bgates@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Just bought a 1992 Honda Accord and when I drove it at highway speeds, I
>>hear a thumping sound from the front tires, car rides like it riding on
>>little bumps, steering wheel vibrates. What could this mean? Car is under
>>warranty, so I can get it fixed.

>
>
> First thing gotta be to have the tires rebalanced. Or even look at
> them, see if there are spots of heavy wear.
>
> J.
>


Yep, what J said. That is especially true if it doesn't happen at any
highway speed, and it only happens within a 10km/h range (say from
100-110 or from 110-120).

Cosmin
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 19 Jun 2004, 09:39 pm
CaptainKrunch
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: wheel vibration

just have the tires inspected and look for tread separation or cupped tires.

Any reputable tire shop should have no problem finding defects in tires like
that.

CaptainKrunch
"DaveT" <bgates@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:uM%Ac.7233$Oi7.1280@newssvr22.news.prodigy.co m...
> Hey guys,
>
> Just bought a 1992 Honda Accord and when I drove it at highway speeds, I
> hear a thumping sound from the front tires, car rides like it riding on
> little bumps, steering wheel vibrates. What could this mean? Car is

under
> warranty, so I can get it fixed.
>
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> Dave
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 20 Jun 2004, 01:00 am
DaveT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: wheel vibration

Thanks for the input guys. I told a few friends and they were telling me
the same, get tires rebalanced!


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 20 Jun 2004, 01:52 am
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: wheel vibration

"DaveT" <bgates@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
news:2K9Bc.7331$392.4782@newssvr22.news.prodigy.co m:

> Thanks for the input guys. I told a few friends and they were telling me
> the same, get tires rebalanced!
>
>
>


That's the START point;you still could have a "flat spot" or an out-of-
round tire,or tread separation,or other tire defect.

"flat spot" is from locking up the brakes and the stopped wheel grinds a
flat spot on the tire,then it acts like a shopping cart wheel.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'89 Civic - steering wheel vibration Matt Honda 2 4 28 Jul 2005 11:54 am
Steering Wheel vibration - 2005 CR-V LX 4WD Alex Honda 2 7 02 Mar 2005 09:18 pm
Steering Wheel vibration - 2005 CR-V LX 4WD Alex Honda 3 5 01 Feb 2005 04:02 pm
Wheel Vibration Noise (hum) Fluffy Acura 2 04 Sep 2004 06:05 pm
Vibration in rear right wheel soccertn Acura 1 06 Dec 2003 01:11 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.