Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10 Sep 2009, 02:16 pm
David E. Powell
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 2009 Accord - Bad rear brakes?

I have had rumors of 2008s having premature wear on rear brakes. Does
the 2009 have any signs of this too?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10 Sep 2009, 02:33 pm
Earl The #1 Love Muscle and slow rider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2009 Accord - Bad rear brakes?

On Sep 10, 2:16*pm, "David E. Powell" <David_Powell3...@msn.com>
wrote:
> I have had rumors of 2008s having premature wear on rear brakes. Does
> the 2009 have any signs of this too?


I have a 2008' Accord 2.4l and i had to put on new rear pads at about
17K, just today i had to do the same with the front at 31K.
The service adviser at a dealership told told that in 2006' Honda has
changed the way the braking system works so that the most power of
your braking will be with the rear wheels.
don't worry both front and rear brake pads are easy to change for both
maybe only 1.5hrs.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10 Sep 2009, 06:05 pm
tww1491
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2009 Accord - Bad rear brakes?


"Earl The #1 Love Muscle and slow rider" <lowbike1@att.net> wrote in message
news:17fd7ab6-aad6-4315-ad33-0227a48a9d49@a7g2000yqo.googlegroups.com...
On Sep 10, 2:16 pm, "David E. Powell" <David_Powell3...@msn.com>
wrote:
> I have had rumors of 2008s having premature wear on rear brakes. Does
> the 2009 have any signs of this too?


I have a 2008' Accord 2.4l and i had to put on new rear pads at about
17K, just today i had to do the same with the front at 31K.
The service adviser at a dealership told told that in 2006' Honda has
changed the way the braking system works so that the most power of
your braking will be with the rear wheels.
don't worry both front and rear brake pads are easy to change for both
maybe only 1.5hrs.

I replaced my rears on a 06 I4 coupe at 53k. The fronts are still OK.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10 Sep 2009, 06:23 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2009 Accord - Bad rear brakes?

"Earl The #1 Love Muscle and slow rider" <lowbike1@att.net> wrote in
news:17fd7ab6-aad6-4315-ad33-0227a48a9d49@a7g2000yqo.googlegroups.com:

> On Sep 10, 2:16*pm, "David E. Powell" <David_Powell3...@msn.com>
> wrote:
>> I have had rumors of 2008s having premature wear on rear brakes. Does
>> the 2009 have any signs of this too?

>
> I have a 2008' Accord 2.4l and i had to put on new rear pads at about
> 17K, just today i had to do the same with the front at 31K.
> The service adviser at a dealership told told that in 2006' Honda has
> changed the way the braking system works so that the most power of
> your braking will be with the rear wheels.




What? He's talking through his hat.

On a FWD car the fronts do about 80% of the braking. Unless Honda has found
a way to repeal the laws of physics, it shall ever be thus.




--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10 Sep 2009, 06:24 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2009 Accord - Bad rear brakes?

"David E. Powell" <David_Powell3006@msn.com> wrote in news:9bc0f253-6f77-
43c1-add5-fa665ffbcba8@w36g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

> I have had rumors of 2008s having premature wear on rear brakes. Does
> the 2009 have any signs of this too?




They're rumors only. There are no special problems with that model's rear
brakes. Don't worry about it.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10 Sep 2009, 07:10 pm
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2009 Accord - Bad rear brakes?

In article
<17fd7ab6-aad6-4315-ad33-0227a48a9d49@a7g2000yqo.googlegroups.com>,
"Earl The #1 Love Muscle and slow rider" <lowbike1@att.net> wrote:

> The service adviser at a dealership told told that in 2006' Honda has
> changed the way the braking system works so that the most power of
> your braking will be with the rear wheels.


memories of the Polish tank joke--one forward speed, six reverse.

The ignoramus at your dealership doesn't understand simple physics.
Unless Honda is flat-out stopping the front brakes from engaging, the
weight shift is to the front and the fronts will take the brunt of it.

No way around it.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10 Sep 2009, 07:40 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2009 Accord - Bad rear brakes?

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in news:elmop-
4D4991.20104110092009@news.eternal-september.org:

> In article
> <17fd7ab6-aad6-4315-ad33-0227a48a9d49@a7g2000yqo.googlegroups.com>,
> "Earl The #1 Love Muscle and slow rider" <lowbike1@att.net> wrote:
>
>> The service adviser at a dealership told told that in 2006' Honda has
>> changed the way the braking system works so that the most power of
>> your braking will be with the rear wheels.

>
> memories of the Polish tank joke--one forward speed, six reverse.
>
> The ignoramus at your dealership doesn't understand simple physics.
> Unless Honda is flat-out stopping the front brakes from engaging, the
> weight shift is to the front and the fronts will take the brunt of it.
>
> No way around it.




Quick and simple test for anyone who rides a bicycle:

Get the bike up to some kind of reasonable speed. Now squeeze only the REAR
brake hard. (Let go quick so the resulting skid doesn't slam you onto the
pavement.)

Now do the same thing again, but this time squeeze only the FRONT brake
hard. See the difference? Car brakes and weight transfer behave identically
to this.

Practical physics at work in a most abundantly convincing way!


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10 Sep 2009, 08:13 pm
Eternal Searcher
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2009 Accord - Bad rear brakes?

tww1491 wrote:

> I replaced my rears on a 06 I4 coupe at 53k. The fronts are still OK.


I had to replace the front pads on my '04 Civic last year at 46k. Rears are
drums and are still fine. Honda brake pads do seem to be wearing more
quickly than they used to, from what I've been reading.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10 Sep 2009, 08:25 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2009 Accord - Bad rear brakes?

Eternal Searcher <eternalsearcherREMOVE7219@yahoo.ca> wrote in
news:h8c87s$j42$1@news.eternal-september.org:

> tww1491 wrote:
>
>> I replaced my rears on a 06 I4 coupe at 53k. The fronts are still
>> OK.

>
> I had to replace the front pads on my '04 Civic last year at 46k.
> Rears are drums and are still fine. Honda brake pads do seem to be
> wearing more quickly than they used to, from what I've been reading.
>




I've been hanging around Usenet since about 1999. Reports of inadequate
rear disc brake pad life have been around at least as long.

Areas with regularly bad weather (such as the Peoples' Republic of Canada)
have the worst pad life problems.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11 Sep 2009, 02:18 am
Dave D
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2009 Accord - Bad rear brakes?


"Tegger" <invalid@invalid.inv> wrote in message
news:Xns9C82C52CCD672tegger@208.90.168.18...
> "Earl The #1 Love Muscle and slow rider" <lowbike1@att.net> wrote in
> news:17fd7ab6-aad6-4315-ad33-0227a48a9d49@a7g2000yqo.googlegroups.com:
>
>> On Sep 10, 2:16 pm, "David E. Powell" <David_Powell3...@msn.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I have had rumors of 2008s having premature wear on rear brakes. Does
>>> the 2009 have any signs of this too?

>>
>> I have a 2008' Accord 2.4l and i had to put on new rear pads at about
>> 17K, just today i had to do the same with the front at 31K.
>> The service adviser at a dealership told told that in 2006' Honda has
>> changed the way the braking system works so that the most power of
>> your braking will be with the rear wheels.

>
>
>
> What? He's talking through his hat.
>
> On a FWD car the fronts do about 80% of the braking. Unless Honda has
> found
> a way to repeal the laws of physics, it shall ever be thus.
>
>
>
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/


Agree completely. We used to claim that the only reason for a rear brake
pedal or handle on a motorcycle was to illuminate the rear stop light.
However, perhaps the op misunderstood the service adviser. He may have been
refering to the way in which the proportioning valve was set up. That is
more power sent to the rear brakes than to the fronts. I can not fathom why
Honda engineers would even consider such a stunt. More likely, the service
adviser was trying to mollify an unhappy customer who had just had his brake
pads replaced at low mileage .....Maybe????

DaveD


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do all 1992 Honda Civic Si's have Rear Disc Brakes or Rear Rotors? ED S Honda Technical 7 22 Mar 2009 08:29 pm
2007 Accord rear brakes Truckdude Honda 2 19 19 Aug 2008 06:39 am
2000 Accord EX rear brakes time2bail Honda 3 1 23 Feb 2005 01:33 pm
2003 TL, Type-S, Front brakes - vibration, Rear brakes - wear Alex Vilner Acura 6 20 Aug 2003 09:09 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.