Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jun 2004, 10:22 pm
Carl Mercier
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Not enough mileage per gallon

Hi folks!

I own an Honda Civic 2003 Sedan (Sport Edition, which was only available
in Canada I believe).

I am under the impression that the gas consumption has gotten worse over
the last year. I know some maintenance needs to be done to keep the
best gas consumption possible, but don't know what to do exactly.

Any tips or pointers?

Thanks!

Carl
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jun 2004, 10:35 pm
Cosmin N.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Not enough mileage per gallon

Have your PCV valve checked, if it's stuck your mileage will be worse
than normal, sometimes by quite a bit. I don't know how often Honda
recommends replacing it, but it should be done at least every 30k km.

Cosmin

Carl Mercier wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> I own an Honda Civic 2003 Sedan (Sport Edition, which was only available
> in Canada I believe).
>
> I am under the impression that the gas consumption has gotten worse over
> the last year. I know some maintenance needs to be done to keep the
> best gas consumption possible, but don't know what to do exactly.
>
> Any tips or pointers?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Carl

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jun 2004, 11:14 pm
Carl Mercier
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Not enough mileage per gallon

Cosmin,

Thanks for the reply!

Forgive me but I'm really dumb when it comes to cars. What's the PCV
valve, where is it, how much is it and can I replace it myself? How
would I know if it needs to be replaced?

Thanks!

Carl



Cosmin N. wrote:

> Have your PCV valve checked, if it's stuck your mileage will be worse
> than normal, sometimes by quite a bit. I don't know how often Honda
> recommends replacing it, but it should be done at least every 30k km.
>
> Cosmin
>
> Carl Mercier wrote:
>
>> Hi folks!
>>
>> I own an Honda Civic 2003 Sedan (Sport Edition, which was only
>> available in Canada I believe).
>>
>> I am under the impression that the gas consumption has gotten worse
>> over the last year. I know some maintenance needs to be done to keep
>> the best gas consumption possible, but don't know what to do exactly.
>>
>> Any tips or pointers?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Carl

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jun 2004, 11:26 pm
motsco_ _
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Not enough mileage per gallon

Carl Mercier wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I own an Honda Civic 2003 Sedan (Sport Edition, which was only available
> in Canada I believe).
>
> I am under the impression that the gas consumption has gotten worse over
> the last year. I know some maintenance needs to be done to keep the
> best gas consumption possible, but don't know what to do exactly.
>
> Any tips or pointers?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Carl


+++++++++++++++++++++

Put 34 psi in all your tires, and set your alarm clock to wake you 25
minutes earlier in the morning. If you've been careful to note your
mileage in the 'fuel efficiency chart', what are the ACTUAL statistics?

PCV can be a killer if plugged / stuck open. Don't warm up your engine
in the driveway. Air filter can also be changed by yourself. Obey the
speed limit. A lot of this is in the OWNER'S MANUAL.

'Curly'

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jun 2004, 11:40 pm
Caroline
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Not enough mileage per gallon

I concur with Cosmin and Curly re the PCV valve and also especially about
checking the maintenance schedule in your car's owner's manual for what should
have been done to the car.

A few more basic questions to keep this rolling:
How many miles are on your car?
When was the last time you changed the:
-- spark plugs?
-- ignition wires?
-- distributor cap?
-- distributor rotor?
-- air filter?
-- fuel filter? (This might not be do-able or recommended on your car.)
-- engine oil?
-- radiator coolant? And have you checked the level in the coolant reservoir
recently?

All of the above is very basic, inexpensive maintenance for a young car like
yours.

"Carl Mercier" <carl@nospamming.carl-mercier.killspam.dot.com> wrote
> Hi folks!
>
> I own an Honda Civic 2003 Sedan (Sport Edition, which was only available
> in Canada I believe).
>
> I am under the impression that the gas consumption has gotten worse over
> the last year. I know some maintenance needs to be done to keep the
> best gas consumption possible, but don't know what to do exactly.
>
> Any tips or pointers?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Carl



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11 Jun 2004, 09:49 am
w_tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Not enough mileage per gallon

If your PCV valve is clogged this soon, then you have other
and much more serious problems with the car. Replace spark
plugs, air filter, etc this early? That was the 1970s when
things had to be replaced every 10,000 miles. For example,
spark plugs are said to be replaced every 50,000 miles. In
reality, plugs at nearly 100,000 should be just fine.

If PCV valve is on your list of possibilities, then so is
EGR valve, throttle sensor, transmission oil, and antifreeze.
You have a mileage drop? One thing lowers mileage by about
10% is discount gasoline that is missing additives found in
brand name gas. My experience is that it takes as much as four
consecutive tanks to undo the mileage reduction from
consecutive visits to discount gas. But then I record every
number. I have also seen where something was maybe dumped
into the gas causing fuel injectors to be damaged. 31 MPG
immediately dropped to 22-25 MPG and car felt sluggish. Honda
found and replaced the defective injectors. I could trace
damage right back to the gas station because I record and
review the numbers.

First, what are numbers from consecutive tanks. Second is
that new gas station shorting you about 8 to 10% of the fuel
they have claimed? I found one that shorted on four separate
tanks. Car took more gallons than even gas gauge suggested and
mileage was proportionally lower. Something about a little
operator switch to set pumps back to normal operation when
Weights and Measures took their readings.

Just too many things could account for a perceived gas
mileage drop. PCV is just the latest hype by some in this
newsgroup. First collect facts. What is the number of miles
and number of gallons recorded for each consecutive fillup?
If PVC valve gets clogged this early, then you have other more
serious problems - not just a PCV problem.

There is very little maintenance required on cars today. And
that maintenance is mostly for long term care. But then your
owner's manual has all that information. Read the manual
first and record you numbers and gas station so that you are
not "feeling" mileage is lower.

Carl Mercier wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I own an Honda Civic 2003 Sedan (Sport Edition, which was only
> available in Canada I believe).
>
> I am under the impression that the gas consumption has gotten
> worse over the last year. I know some maintenance needs to be
> done to keep the best gas consumption possible, but don't know
> what to do exactly.
>
> Any tips or pointers?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Carl

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11 Jun 2004, 11:29 am
Cosmin N.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Not enough mileage per gallon

It's a bit different on all Hondas, but on my old 94 Accord it was on
the valve cover on the rear side (close to the windshield side). It had
a tube going into it, so it was pretty easy to spot. I haven't looked on
my 01 Prelude yet, so I can't say if they changed it. Yours should be in
the same general area.

If you intend on doing some maintenance yourself, if may be a good ideea
to purchase a manual for your car. Haynes and the other cheap ones are
helpfull for minor repairs, but the best manuals are the Helm ones
(www.helminc.com). The manuals will list recommended intervals for
changing fluids and miscelaneous parts that Honda does not. It was my
Haynes manual that listed 30k km as the interval for the PCV valve
replacement.

Cosmin

Carl Mercier wrote:
> Cosmin,
>
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> Forgive me but I'm really dumb when it comes to cars. What's the PCV
> valve, where is it, how much is it and can I replace it myself? How
> would I know if it needs to be replaced?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Carl
>
>
>
> Cosmin N. wrote:
>
>> Have your PCV valve checked, if it's stuck your mileage will be worse
>> than normal, sometimes by quite a bit. I don't know how often Honda
>> recommends replacing it, but it should be done at least every 30k km.
>>
>> Cosmin
>>
>> Carl Mercier wrote:
>>
>>> Hi folks!
>>>
>>> I own an Honda Civic 2003 Sedan (Sport Edition, which was only
>>> available in Canada I believe).
>>>
>>> I am under the impression that the gas consumption has gotten worse
>>> over the last year. I know some maintenance needs to be done to keep
>>> the best gas consumption possible, but don't know what to do exactly.
>>>
>>> Any tips or pointers?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Carl

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11 Jun 2004, 11:55 am
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Not enough mileage per gallon

w_tom <w_tom1@hotmail.com> wrote in news:40C9C67A.DB280D2C@hotmail.com:

> If your PCV valve is clogged this soon, then you have other
> and much more serious problems with the car. Replace spark
> plugs, air filter, etc this early? That was the 1970s when
> things had to be replaced every 10,000 miles. For example,
> spark plugs are said to be replaced every 50,000 miles. In
> reality, plugs at nearly 100,000 should be just fine.
>
> If PCV valve is on your list of possibilities, then so is
> EGR valve, throttle sensor, transmission oil, and antifreeze.
> You have a mileage drop? One thing lowers mileage by about
> 10% is discount gasoline that is missing additives found in
> brand name gas. My experience is that it takes as much as four
> consecutive tanks to undo the mileage reduction from
> consecutive visits to discount gas. But then I record every
> number. I have also seen where something was maybe dumped
> into the gas causing fuel injectors to be damaged. 31 MPG
> immediately dropped to 22-25 MPG and car felt sluggish. Honda
> found and replaced the defective injectors. I could trace
> damage right back to the gas station because I record and
> review the numbers.
>
> First, what are numbers from consecutive tanks. Second is
> that new gas station shorting you about 8 to 10% of the fuel
> they have claimed? I found one that shorted on four separate
> tanks. Car took more gallons than even gas gauge suggested and
> mileage was proportionally lower. Something about a little
> operator switch to set pumps back to normal operation when
> Weights and Measures took their readings.
>
> Just too many things could account for a perceived gas
> mileage drop. PCV is just the latest hype by some in this
> newsgroup. First collect facts. What is the number of miles
> and number of gallons recorded for each consecutive fillup?
> If PVC valve gets clogged this early, then you have other more
> serious problems - not just a PCV problem.
>
> There is very little maintenance required on cars today. And
> that maintenance is mostly for long term care. But then your
> owner's manual has all that information. Read the manual
> first and record you numbers and gas station so that you are
> not "feeling" mileage is lower.


One more item is to watch your driving;see if you are driving more 'city'
miles,or unconsciously accellerating then slowing-back and forth,this
wastes gas.

Keeping tires properly inflated is important,too,just 3-4 psi low affects
gas mileage.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11 Jun 2004, 12:36 pm
Caroline
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Not enough mileage per gallon

Not to step on Cosmin's toes, but I always like Majestic's online Honda drawings
for giving me clues on where a part is.

See http://tinyurl.com/2grb3 item 2, for a 2003 Civic 4-Dr. GX Side SRS. If this
isn't exactly your car, then click on "RETURN TO CHOOSING A SYSTEM\COMPONENT
FOR" and put in the info that identifies your car. Select "breather cover" or
"breather chamber" at the end to bring up a drawing that includes the PCV valve.

Helps to have a new PCV valve in hand when looking for the old one.

You should be able to do a little test on the PCV valve by running the car at
idle and pinching the PCV valve tube (item 5 in the drawings) with a pair of
long-nosed pliers. Keep the tube pinched for at least 20 seconds or until you
hear a little click. The click is the valve operating. See for example the right
column of http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/CivicManual/pdf/11-109.pdf , for
1995-1997 Civics.

Google for "PCV valve" for more discussion. It aids in keeping the engine
crankcase free of blowby vapors by allowing the vapors to return to the engine's
air intake for re-burning. If it is malfunctioning, then among other things the
car's computer may not see the correct flow in the air intake. The car's
computer may run the engine rich (too much gas; not enough air) as a result.

Numerous web sites attest to this.

Of course, as has been noted, many other things may cause poor fuel economy. For
such a young car, I'd be surprised if the PCV valve were the problem.

"Carl Mercier" <carl@nospamming.carl-mercier.killspam.dot.com> wrote
> Forgive me but I'm really dumb when it comes to cars. What's the PCV
> valve, where is it, how much is it and can I replace it myself? How
> would I know if it needs to be replaced?



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11 Jun 2004, 02:10 pm
Jason
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Not enough mileage per gallon

In article <Az9yc.48573$8k4.1048105@news20.bellglobal.com>, Carl Mercier
<carl@nospamming.carl-mercier.killspam.dot.com> wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> I own an Honda Civic 2003 Sedan (Sport Edition, which was only available
> in Canada I believe).
>
> I am under the impression that the gas consumption has gotten worse over
> the last year. I know some maintenance needs to be done to keep the
> best gas consumption possible, but don't know what to do exactly.
>
> Any tips or pointers?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Carl


Carl,
I suggest that you get a complete tune-up and a new PCV valve.

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIPERS MOTTO
We respect those subscribers that ask for advice or provide advice.
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: 10 - 15 Miles to the Gallon on 98 Integra LS ! How ...? Kevin McMurtrie Acura 1 22 May 2004 05:46 pm
Re: 10 - 15 Miles to the Gallon on 98 Integra LS ! How ...? Kevin McMurtrie Honda 3 1 22 May 2004 05:46 pm
Re: 10 - 15 Miles to the Gallon on 98 Integra LS ! How ...? jay lorenzana Honda 1 1 21 May 2004 09:18 am
Re: 10 - 15 Miles to the Gallon on 98 Integra LS ! How ...? jay lorenzana Acura 1 21 May 2004 09:18 am
Re: 10 - 15 Miles to the Gallon on 98 Integra LS ! How ...? jay lorenzana Honda 3 1 21 May 2004 09:18 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.