Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09 Jun 2004, 09:28 am
JPT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Honda CRX and trailer hitches

I have a 1988 Honda CRX DX that spent most ofits life in the
Northeast. A while back, when I was moving, I went to UHaul to see
if I could get a hitch installed. I was told that the hitch
attachment points on my car were too rusted out to safely hold a hitch
and a trailer. The guys who worked in the outlet i went to weren't
the brightest bunch, though. What I a wondering is whether or not the
part of the underbody that the hitch bolts to is replaceable in some
way. Is it bolted or welded to the frame or is it a part of the
frame? Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09 Jun 2004, 09:54 am
Cosmin N.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda CRX and trailer hitches

I could be wrong, but I think Honda does not recommend towing anything
with a Civic. There was a thread not too long ago about the Civic's
towing capacity, look it up on Google.

Cosmin

JPT wrote:

> I have a 1988 Honda CRX DX that spent most ofits life in the
> Northeast. A while back, when I was moving, I went to UHaul to see
> if I could get a hitch installed. I was told that the hitch
> attachment points on my car were too rusted out to safely hold a hitch
> and a trailer. The guys who worked in the outlet i went to weren't
> the brightest bunch, though. What I a wondering is whether or not the
> part of the underbody that the hitch bolts to is replaceable in some
> way. Is it bolted or welded to the frame or is it a part of the
> frame? Thanks for any advice.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jun 2004, 09:22 am
Rex B
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda CRX and trailer hitches

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 14:28:17 GMT, JPT <jpth0mps0n@hotmail.com> wrote:

||I have a 1988 Honda CRX DX that spent most ofits life in the
||Northeast. A while back, when I was moving, I went to UHaul to see
||if I could get a hitch installed. I was told that the hitch
||attachment points on my car were too rusted out to safely hold a hitch
||and a trailer. The guys who worked in the outlet i went to weren't
||the brightest bunch, though. What I a wondering is whether or not the
||part of the underbody that the hitch bolts to is replaceable in some
||way. Is it bolted or welded to the frame or is it a part of the
||frame? Thanks for any advice.

Just buy the hitch and install it yourself. If the mounting points look weak,
reinforce them by bolting plates over the area to spread the load.

I assume you aren't going to tow anything more than about 500# total. I
wouldn't exceed that. And check your mounting points frequently.
Texas Parts Guy
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jun 2004, 01:57 pm
JPT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda CRX and trailer hitches

Do you mean 500Lbs in addition to the trailer? I don't have a lot of
heavy stuff to haul, its just bulky. If its 500lbs including the
trailer, then its not even worth the trouble.

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:22:54 GMT, NOSPAMrex@REMOVEtxol.net (Rex B)
wrote:

>On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 14:28:17 GMT, JPT <jpth0mps0n@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>||I have a 1988 Honda CRX DX that spent most ofits life in the
>||Northeast. A while back, when I was moving, I went to UHaul to see
>||if I could get a hitch installed. I was told that the hitch
>||attachment points on my car were too rusted out to safely hold a hitch
>||and a trailer. The guys who worked in the outlet i went to weren't
>||the brightest bunch, though. What I a wondering is whether or not the
>||part of the underbody that the hitch bolts to is replaceable in some
>||way. Is it bolted or welded to the frame or is it a part of the
>||frame? Thanks for any advice.
>
>Just buy the hitch and install it yourself. If the mounting points look weak,
>reinforce them by bolting plates over the area to spread the load.
>
>I assume you aren't going to tow anything more than about 500# total. I
>wouldn't exceed that. And check your mounting points frequently.
>Texas Parts Guy


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jun 2004, 04:54 pm
Rex B
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda CRX and trailer hitches

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:57:41 GMT, JPT <jpth0mps0n@hotmail.com> wrote:

||Do you mean 500Lbs in addition to the trailer? I don't have a lot of
||heavy stuff to haul, its just bulky. If its 500lbs including the
||trailer, then its not even worth the trouble.

I'd say "including". Your CRX was designed for a passenger (~200#) and not much
cargo (300#). A small open trailer (HF 4x8) will weigh about 300#, leaving 200
for cargo.

But it all depends on:

How far you are going
What the route is like (hilly, rough pavement etc)
Will the car have a passenger and stuff in the hatch
How rusted are the mounting points?
How lucky do you feel?

||>On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 14:28:17 GMT, JPT <jpth0mps0n@hotmail.com> wrote:
||>
||>||I have a 1988 Honda CRX DX that spent most ofits life in the
||>||Northeast. A while back, when I was moving, I went to UHaul to see
||>||if I could get a hitch installed. I was told that the hitch
||>||attachment points on my car were too rusted out to safely hold a hitch
||>||and a trailer. The guys who worked in the outlet i went to weren't
||>||the brightest bunch, though. What I a wondering is whether or not the
||>||part of the underbody that the hitch bolts to is replaceable in some
||>||way. Is it bolted or welded to the frame or is it a part of the
||>||frame? Thanks for any advice.
||>
||>Just buy the hitch and install it yourself. If the mounting points look weak,
||>reinforce them by bolting plates over the area to spread the load.
||>
||>I assume you aren't going to tow anything more than about 500# total. I
||>wouldn't exceed that. And check your mounting points frequently.
||>Texas Parts Guy
||

Texas Parts Guy
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 16 Jun 2004, 01:37 pm
JPT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda CRX and trailer hitches

Not that lucky :-). I'll have to go with roof rack I suppose. Thanks
for the advice.

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:54:18 GMT, NOSPAMrex@REMOVEtxol.net (Rex B)
wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:57:41 GMT, JPT <jpth0mps0n@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>||Do you mean 500Lbs in addition to the trailer? I don't have a lot of
>||heavy stuff to haul, its just bulky. If its 500lbs including the
>||trailer, then its not even worth the trouble.
>
>I'd say "including". Your CRX was designed for a passenger (~200#) and not much
>cargo (300#). A small open trailer (HF 4x8) will weigh about 300#, leaving 200
>for cargo.
>
>But it all depends on:
>
>How far you are going
>What the route is like (hilly, rough pavement etc)
>Will the car have a passenger and stuff in the hatch
>How rusted are the mounting points?
>How lucky do you feel?
>
>||>On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 14:28:17 GMT, JPT <jpth0mps0n@hotmail.com> wrote:
>||>
>||>||I have a 1988 Honda CRX DX that spent most ofits life in the
>||>||Northeast. A while back, when I was moving, I went to UHaul to see
>||>||if I could get a hitch installed. I was told that the hitch
>||>||attachment points on my car were too rusted out to safely hold a hitch
>||>||and a trailer. The guys who worked in the outlet i went to weren't
>||>||the brightest bunch, though. What I a wondering is whether or not the
>||>||part of the underbody that the hitch bolts to is replaceable in some
>||>||way. Is it bolted or welded to the frame or is it a part of the
>||>||frame? Thanks for any advice.
>||>
>||>Just buy the hitch and install it yourself. If the mounting points look weak,
>||>reinforce them by bolting plates over the area to spread the load.
>||>
>||>I assume you aren't going to tow anything more than about 500# total. I
>||>wouldn't exceed that. And check your mounting points frequently.
>||>Texas Parts Guy
>||
>
>Texas Parts Guy


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 19 Jun 2004, 12:17 pm
Grumpy au Contraire
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda CRX and trailer hitches

Since I'm originally from RI and now live in Texas, I can speak with
some credibility regarding east coast rust. If your '88 Honda was
driven in all winters up to now, you're lucky that it is still on the
road. Hondas are notorious for rusting being almost as bad as the old Datsuns.

My advice is to get a CRX from outside the rust belt, use your
mechanicals as spares and put the trailer hitch on the "southern" unit.
Otherwise, you're dealing with Swiss cheese for structural integrity...

JT




JPT wrote:
>
> Not that lucky :-). I'll have to go with roof rack I suppose. Thanks
> for the advice.
>
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:54:18 GMT, NOSPAMrex@REMOVEtxol.net (Rex B)
> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:57:41 GMT, JPT <jpth0mps0n@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >||Do you mean 500Lbs in addition to the trailer? I don't have a lot of
> >||heavy stuff to haul, its just bulky. If its 500lbs including the
> >||trailer, then its not even worth the trouble.
> >
> >I'd say "including". Your CRX was designed for a passenger (~200#) and not much
> >cargo (300#). A small open trailer (HF 4x8) will weigh about 300#, leaving 200
> >for cargo.
> >
> >But it all depends on:
> >
> >How far you are going
> >What the route is like (hilly, rough pavement etc)
> >Will the car have a passenger and stuff in the hatch
> >How rusted are the mounting points?
> >How lucky do you feel?
> >
> >||>On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 14:28:17 GMT, JPT <jpth0mps0n@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >||>
> >||>||I have a 1988 Honda CRX DX that spent most ofits life in the
> >||>||Northeast. A while back, when I was moving, I went to UHaul to see
> >||>||if I could get a hitch installed. I was told that the hitch
> >||>||attachment points on my car were too rusted out to safely hold a hitch
> >||>||and a trailer. The guys who worked in the outlet i went to weren't
> >||>||the brightest bunch, though. What I a wondering is whether or not the
> >||>||part of the underbody that the hitch bolts to is replaceable in some
> >||>||way. Is it bolted or welded to the frame or is it a part of the
> >||>||frame? Thanks for any advice.
> >||>
> >||>Just buy the hitch and install it yourself. If the mounting points look weak,
> >||>reinforce them by bolting plates over the area to spread the load.
> >||>
> >||>I assume you aren't going to tow anything more than about 500# total. I
> >||>wouldn't exceed that. And check your mounting points frequently.
> >||>Texas Parts Guy
> >||
> >
> >Texas Parts Guy


--
JT

Just tooling through cyberspace in my ancient G4
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2005 Honda Pilot Trailer Hitch LauraM Honda 2 9 17 May 2007 11:31 am
Can my 2006 Honda Accord tow a 4x8 Uhaul trailer? emailpetty@gmail.com Honda 2 8 20 Jan 2007 01:45 pm
CUSTOM DECALS CAR TRUCK BOAT SUV TRAILER HONDA BMW CIVIC LEXUS ALL CUSTOM WORK DONE CHECK IT OUT MTECHGRAPHICS@gmail.com Honda 2 0 15 Jan 2007 09:36 pm
Honda CRX and trailer hitches JPT Honda 3 6 19 Jun 2004 12:17 pm
Trailer Lights on CR-V tflfb Honda 2 4 27 Feb 2004 03:55 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.