Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08 Jun 2004, 12:48 pm
James
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Cold Air Intake

If i put in a Cold Air intake in my 2003 civic dx, will i notice any
difference in pickup or gas milage?


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08 Jun 2004, 03:36 pm
rastapasta
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cold Air Intake


"James" <Private@email.com> wrote in message news:PZmxc.21$Nf.9@edtnps84...
> If i put in a Cold Air intake in my 2003 civic dx, will i notice any
> difference in pickup or gas milage?
>
>


I don't know about CAI's affecting gas mileage, but I would say the car
breathes better with a CAI, & I would say you would pick-up a few extra
horses. Cold air is getter than hot air. Get a bypass valve installed on
your CAI, though.


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.701 / Virus Database: 458 - Release Date: 6/7/2004


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08 Jun 2004, 04:11 pm
James
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cold Air Intake

Hey, what exactly is a bypass valve? and why do you recommend it over a cold
air intake?
thanks
"rastapasta" <NOSPAM_rastapasta @ ev1.net_NOSPAM> wrote in message
news:10cc8pcplp3oe0@corp.supernews.com...
>
> "James" <Private@email.com> wrote in message

news:PZmxc.21$Nf.9@edtnps84...
> > If i put in a Cold Air intake in my 2003 civic dx, will i notice any
> > difference in pickup or gas milage?
> >
> >

>
> I don't know about CAI's affecting gas mileage, but I would say the car
> breathes better with a CAI, & I would say you would pick-up a few extra
> horses. Cold air is getter than hot air. Get a bypass valve installed on
> your CAI, though.
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.701 / Virus Database: 458 - Release Date: 6/7/2004
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08 Jun 2004, 04:13 pm
rastapasta
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cold Air Intake


"Jason" <Jason@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:Jason-0806041344320001@pm1-broad-78.snlo.dialup.fix.net...
> In article <PZmxc.21$Nf.9@edtnps84>, "James" <Private@email.com> wrote:

[snip]
> Be careful when you install it. I saw a recent post from someone that
> installed it incorrectly. When it rained, it would suck water from the
> road into the system. There is a method of installing it that will keep
> this from happening.
>



Yup---he didn't put on a bypass valve with the CAI.


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.701 / Virus Database: 458 - Release Date: 6/7/2004


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08 Jun 2004, 04:24 pm
Cosmin N.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cold Air Intake

The CAI input is inside the wheel well, so when you drive through big
puddles, it will suck water into your engine. As you can imagine, that
is not the best thing to happen, because at the least your engine will
stall. A bypass valve will help prevent the water from entering the engine.

Cosmin

James wrote:
> Hey, what exactly is a bypass valve? and why do you recommend it over a cold
> air intake?
> thanks
> "rastapasta" <NOSPAM_rastapasta @ ev1.net_NOSPAM> wrote in message
> news:10cc8pcplp3oe0@corp.supernews.com...
>
>>"James" <Private@email.com> wrote in message

>
> news:PZmxc.21$Nf.9@edtnps84...
>
>>>If i put in a Cold Air intake in my 2003 civic dx, will i notice any
>>>difference in pickup or gas milage?
>>>
>>>

>>
>>I don't know about CAI's affecting gas mileage, but I would say the car
>>breathes better with a CAI, & I would say you would pick-up a few extra
>>horses. Cold air is getter than hot air. Get a bypass valve installed on
>>your CAI, though.
>>
>>
>>---
>>Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
>>Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
>>Version: 6.0.701 / Virus Database: 458 - Release Date: 6/7/2004
>>
>>

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08 Jun 2004, 04:33 pm
rastapasta
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cold Air Intake


"James" <Private@email.com> wrote in message news:eYpxc.84$cS.40@edtnps89...
> Hey, what exactly is a bypass valve? and why do you recommend it over a

cold
> air intake?
> thanks




I don't recommend it over a CAI, it's an addition that fits ON a cold air
intake. I've seen them cheapest on Ebay for ~$15, but if you go someplace
else, you'll pay ~$40-$50. Ebay has a CAI (or used to) by BOMZ Racing that
works fine, WITH the bypass valve for ~$60 total. I bought the BOMZ
short-ram off Ebay, & the CAI (for my '92 Teg) wasn't offered, or I just
didn't notice it. I would've bought it, though, & I've heard it works great.
You can go higher quality, though, & get AEM, K&N, etc., & pay well over
$100 just for the intake.

Do a Google search on "cold air intake bypass valve" & see what comes up.
You'll prolly find lots of info on bypass valves. I'd give you some links
about them, but my pc is b.s.'ing me right now, so I gotta reboot..... ;{

Basically, from what I understand, the bypass valve stops water from
entering the intake, that would then go into the throttle body, which is not
good. You have to cut the CAI's pipe to install the bypass (if it's not cut
already).The reason you don't need a bypass valve on a sort-ram intake (like
I have) is because the short-ram is shorter than a CAI, & does not exit the
engine area (bay/compartment), unlike the CAI, which comes out of the engine
area & sucks in cooler air that's further away from the engine, hence the
name "cold-air intake". I'm prolly wrong on some things there, but I took a
stab at answering that the best I could.


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.701 / Virus Database: 458 - Release Date: 6/7/2004


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08 Jun 2004, 04:44 pm
Jason
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cold Air Intake

In article <PZmxc.21$Nf.9@edtnps84>, "James" <Private@email.com> wrote:

> If i put in a Cold Air intake in my 2003 civic dx, will i notice any
> difference in pickup or gas milage?


According to a book that I own
"The result [of a cold air intake intake system] is a 7 to 8 percent
increase in real horsepower"

The book did not mention any figures related to gas milage. It's my guess
that the miles per gallon would not be effected in any significant way.
For example, if your miles per gallon were 29 without the cold air intake,
it would be about 28 miles per gallon after the cold air intake was
installed.

Be careful when you install it. I saw a recent post from someone that
installed it incorrectly. When it rained, it would suck water from the
road into the system. There is a method of installing it that will keep
this from happening.

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIPERS MOTTO
We respect those subscribers that ask for advice or provide advice.
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09 Jun 2004, 09:33 am
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cold Air Intake

"Cosmin N." <no@email.com> wrote in
news:58qxc.1301$PLd.1141@news04.bloor.is.net.cable .rogers.com:

> The CAI input is inside the wheel well, so when you drive through big
> puddles, it will suck water into your engine. As you can imagine, that
> is not the best thing to happen, because at the least your engine will
> stall. A bypass valve will help prevent the water from entering the
> engine.
>
> Cosmin
>


Well,actually,the intake end of the cold air intake is generally LOW to the
ground,(much lower than the stock air intake)that's why it can suck up
water when driving thru deep puddles.

> James wrote:
>> Hey, what exactly is a bypass valve? and why do you recommend it over
>> a cold air intake?


--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09 Jun 2004, 04:56 pm
Richard Rimmer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cold Air Intake

What's cold air?

"rastapasta" <NOSPAM_rastapasta @ ev1.net_NOSPAM> wrote in message
news:10cc8pcplp3oe0@corp.supernews.com...
>
> "James" <Private@email.com> wrote in message

news:PZmxc.21$Nf.9@edtnps84...
> > If i put in a Cold Air intake in my 2003 civic dx, will i notice any
> > difference in pickup or gas milage?
> >
> >

>
> I don't know about CAI's affecting gas mileage, but I would say the car
> breathes better with a CAI, & I would say you would pick-up a few extra
> horses. Cold air is getter than hot air. Get a bypass valve installed on
> your CAI, though.
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.701 / Virus Database: 458 - Release Date: 6/7/2004
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09 Jun 2004, 06:36 pm
rastapasta
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cold Air Intake


"Richard Rimmer" <rich.rimmer@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:YHLxc.1392$wi2.285@nwrdny01.gnilink.net...
> What's cold air?
>


If this is a serious question, all I know about "cold air", when referring
to a cold-air intake on a car, is air that the CAI brings in that's cooler
than the air immediately around the engine bay/area. People install
intercoolers on their cars when turbo kit is being used to cool the
intake/turbo air even further. HTH.


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.701 / Virus Database: 458 - Release Date: 6/7/2004


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COLD AIR INTAKE 02civic Honda 2 2 14 Jul 2007 07:52 am
cold air intake question 02civic Honda 1 0 13 Jul 2007 09:44 pm
Re: cold air intake mrcheapyasui@gmail.com Honda 3 0 09 Jan 2005 01:23 am
RSX cold air intake for $30? Natty_Dread Acura 19 11 Dec 2003 12:58 pm
Re: Cold Air Intake for '97 3.0 CL Jim Yanik Acura 1 24 Jul 2003 04:59 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.