Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07 Jun 2004, 06:17 pm
Jehu
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 2000 civic Idle problems

I have a 2000 civic SiR, (manual tranny) when i come to a stop my rpms drop
all the way down to like 200rpm when normally they are at around 750 to 850.
they stay down for around 5 sec then gradually come back up. If I don't
watch that they are low when i go to take off and i don't rev it, it sounds
like my lifters are hitting or like a car sounds when you don't give it
enough gas to take off.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.. thanks


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08 Jun 2004, 04:35 pm
Jason
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2000 civic Idle problems

In article <WH6xc.2371$vO1.21331@nnrp1.uunet.ca>, "Jehu"
<dcoxREMOVETHIS@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote:

> I have a 2000 civic SiR, (manual tranny) when i come to a stop my rpms drop
> all the way down to like 200rpm when normally they are at around 750 to 850.
> they stay down for around 5 sec then gradually come back up. If I don't
> watch that they are low when i go to take off and i don't rev it, it sounds
> like my lifters are hitting or like a car sounds when you don't give it
> enough gas to take off.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.. thanks


A valve adjustment might solve this problem.

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIPERS MOTTO
We respect those subscribers that ask for advice or provide advice.
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09 Jun 2004, 06:06 am
Jehu
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2000 civic Idle problems

I was told that this could be my TPS (throtle position sensor)... is this
likely? and do i have to replace the whole throtle body to replace it or can
you replace just the sensor?


"Jehu" <dcoxREMOVETHIS@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote in message
news:WH6xc.2371$vO1.21331@nnrp1.uunet.ca...
> I have a 2000 civic SiR, (manual tranny) when i come to a stop my rpms

drop
> all the way down to like 200rpm when normally they are at around 750 to

850.
> they stay down for around 5 sec then gradually come back up. If I don't
> watch that they are low when i go to take off and i don't rev it, it

sounds
> like my lifters are hitting or like a car sounds when you don't give

it
> enough gas to take off.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.. thanks
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jun 2004, 03:36 pm
Jehu
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2000 civic Idle problems

Seems i am having a conversation with myself here ... but maybe a benifit
for someone

I took my car into the dealer and they told me that the idle doing this is
normal? How is droping intermittently down to 200 or 300 rpm be normal?
Can't be good for the car can it?


"Jehu" <dcoxREMOVETHIS@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote in message
news:4bCxc.2858$vO1.26102@nnrp1.uunet.ca...
> I was told that this could be my TPS (throtle position sensor)... is this
> likely? and do i have to replace the whole throtle body to replace it or

can
> you replace just the sensor?
>
>
> "Jehu" <dcoxREMOVETHIS@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote in message
> news:WH6xc.2371$vO1.21331@nnrp1.uunet.ca...
> > I have a 2000 civic SiR, (manual tranny) when i come to a stop my rpms

> drop
> > all the way down to like 200rpm when normally they are at around 750 to

> 850.
> > they stay down for around 5 sec then gradually come back up. If I

don't
> > watch that they are low when i go to take off and i don't rev it, it

> sounds
> > like my lifters are hitting or like a car sounds when you don't give

> it
> > enough gas to take off.
> >
> > If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.. thanks
> >
> >

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jun 2004, 03:43 pm
Randolph
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2000 civic Idle problems

My '94 has been doing the same thing ever since it was new. Pattern is
always the same. Starting with a cold engine, it idles high, as it
should. Then idle gradually drops to around 400 RPM as the engine heats
up, and the it starts climbing to around 700 on fully warm engine. Not a
big problem, but it provides fore a few not-so-smooth take-offs (stick
shift) if I don't pay attention to it.

Turning on the headlights (or other large current drain) alleviates the
problem, the Electrical Load Detector detects the higher current draw
and the ECU bumps up idle a tad.

Don't think the low idle causes any damage, though, but I am no expert.

Jehu wrote:
>
> Seems i am having a conversation with myself here ... but maybe a benifit
> for someone
>
> I took my car into the dealer and they told me that the idle doing this is
> normal? How is droping intermittently down to 200 or 300 rpm be normal?
> Can't be good for the car can it?
>
> "Jehu" <dcoxREMOVETHIS@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote in message
> news:4bCxc.2858$vO1.26102@nnrp1.uunet.ca...
> > I was told that this could be my TPS (throtle position sensor)... is this
> > likely? and do i have to replace the whole throtle body to replace it or

> can
> > you replace just the sensor?
> >
> >
> > "Jehu" <dcoxREMOVETHIS@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote in message
> > news:WH6xc.2371$vO1.21331@nnrp1.uunet.ca...
> > > I have a 2000 civic SiR, (manual tranny) when i come to a stop my rpms

> > drop
> > > all the way down to like 200rpm when normally they are at around 750 to

> > 850.
> > > they stay down for around 5 sec then gradually come back up. If I

> don't
> > > watch that they are low when i go to take off and i don't rev it, it

> > sounds
> > > like my lifters are hitting or like a car sounds when you don't give

> > it
> > > enough gas to take off.
> > >
> > > If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.. thanks
> > >
> > >

> >
> >

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jun 2004, 09:54 pm
Randolph
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2000 civic Idle problems


Jehu wrote:
>
> I was told that this could be my TPS (throtle position sensor)... is this
> likely? and do i have to replace the whole throtle body to replace it or can
> you replace just the sensor?


Could be. If the TPS isn't working right, the ECU won't know your foot
has left the pedal and that it should get into idle mode. You could try
resetting the ECU and hope that it re-learns the proper TPS
characteristics. On my car ('94 Civic) you reset the ECU by removing the
fuse labeled "backup" (in the fuse box under the hood, not under the
dash) for about 10 seconds.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jun 2004, 10:00 pm
Jehu
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2000 civic Idle problems

Thanks for the info... I might look into doing that


"Randolph" <trash@junkmail.com> wrote in message
news:40CFB5E3.C01E16D3@junkmail.com...
>
> Jehu wrote:
> >
> > I was told that this could be my TPS (throtle position sensor)... is

this
> > likely? and do i have to replace the whole throtle body to replace it or

can
> > you replace just the sensor?

>
> Could be. If the TPS isn't working right, the ECU won't know your foot
> has left the pedal and that it should get into idle mode. You could try
> resetting the ECU and hope that it re-learns the proper TPS
> characteristics. On my car ('94 Civic) you reset the ECU by removing the
> fuse labeled "backup" (in the fuse box under the hood, not under the
> dash) for about 10 seconds.



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jun 2004, 11:04 pm
motsco_ _
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2000 civic Idle problems

Jehu wrote:
> I have a 2000 civic SiR, (manual tranny) when i come to a stop my rpms drop
> all the way down to like 200rpm when normally they are at around 750 to 850.
> they stay down for around 5 sec then gradually come back up. If I don't
> watch that they are low when i go to take off and i don't rev it, it sounds
> like my lifters are hitting or like a car sounds when you don't give it
> enough gas to take off.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.. thanks



++++++++++++++++++++=

TPS is doubtful, or else you'd be telling us that it's very 'jerky' when
you try to 'crawl' around in first gear, like when looking for a parking
spot.

You haven't told us your mileage, or anything about your service
history. You may need a new PCV, or you coolant is low, or your tach
isn't actually working right. Valve adjustment might be a good guess,
but not without more info. Have you tried running some different fuel
thru it? How about injector cleaner? Do you hear any vacuum leaks under
the hood? How often do you check / change the oil?

Reply to group... 'Curly'

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 16 Jun 2004, 05:58 pm
Jehu
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2000 civic Idle problems

Ok.. it has 105 000km on it. Oil changed every 6000km, Coolent is good,
don't think it is my tach cause the car actually feels rough or like it is
idling low.

I don't think the PCV valve has been replaced. I am the second owner of
this car so I am only going by the service history from the dealership.
This may be a dumb thing to say but someone else told me this... The valves
can't be adjusted because they are hydrolic... I don't agree with this
statement, but then again I only have limited knowledge of this type of
stuff.

I normally put in injector cleaner about once a month or so but since this
started I have tried about 5 tanks of Premium gas instead of Regular other
then on my wallet size. ;(

I also dont hear vacuum noises under the hood... but I didn't mention that I
do have a Short Ram air intake. Now this problem was occuring before it
was installed.

thanks


"motsco_ _" <"motsco_ _"@interbaun.com> wrote in message
news:40CFC6D0.3050805@interbaun.com...
> Jehu wrote:
> > I have a 2000 civic SiR, (manual tranny) when i come to a stop my rpms

drop
> > all the way down to like 200rpm when normally they are at around 750 to

850.
> > they stay down for around 5 sec then gradually come back up. If I

don't
> > watch that they are low when i go to take off and i don't rev it, it

sounds
> > like my lifters are hitting or like a car sounds when you don't give

it
> > enough gas to take off.
> >
> > If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.. thanks

>
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++=
>
> TPS is doubtful, or else you'd be telling us that it's very 'jerky' when
> you try to 'crawl' around in first gear, like when looking for a parking
> spot.
>
> You haven't told us your mileage, or anything about your service
> history. You may need a new PCV, or you coolant is low, or your tach
> isn't actually working right. Valve adjustment might be a good guess,
> but not without more info. Have you tried running some different fuel
> thru it? How about injector cleaner? Do you hear any vacuum leaks under
> the hood? How often do you check / change the oil?
>
> Reply to group... 'Curly'
>



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 16 Jun 2004, 08:51 pm
Randolph
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2000 civic Idle problems


Jehu wrote:

> This may be a dumb thing to say but someone else told me this... The valves
> can't be adjusted because they are hydrolic... I don't agree with this
> statement, but then again I only have limited knowledge of this type of
> stuff.


Not dumb at all. If you have hydraulic lifters, you don't need to adjust
the valves. However, I am pretty sure you don't have hydraulic lifters.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
93 civic has high and low idle with other problems... gregfelix@hotmail.com Honda 3 3 30 Oct 2006 08:43 am
1997 civic ex idle problems with a/c on jim beam Honda 3 2 31 Jul 2006 09:41 pm
Idle too low on my 2000 honda civic. luketrif@gmail.com Honda 2 7 23 Oct 2005 09:36 pm
(UPDATE/FIX) 2000 Civic SiR low, rough idle JEHU Honda 2 0 29 Mar 2005 05:43 pm
2000 Civic SiR low, rough idle JEHU Honda 2 25 08 Mar 2005 06:22 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.