Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 30 May 2004, 10:13 pm
Jehu
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Short Shifter vibrates/noise

Hey, I just recently had a short throw shifter installed on my car (2000
civic SiR/Si in US). Works great except when in 2nd or 3rd and the car is
slowing it self down/engine reving the shifter vibrates and makes a rattling
noise. By placing my hand on it it goes away.

Is this because there is something loose that wasn't put back on right?
any suggestions would be great.



Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07 Jun 2004, 06:20 pm
Jehu
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Short Shifter vibrates/noise

Well I found the problem with the noise/vibration from my shifter. The
bottom of the shifter was rubbing on the exhaust when the car was engine
breaking causing it to vibrate.


"Jehu" <dcoxREMOVETHIS@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote in message
news:Rpxuc.48289$kc2.736387@nnrp1.uunet.ca...
> Hey, I just recently had a short throw shifter installed on my car (2000
> civic SiR/Si in US). Works great except when in 2nd or 3rd and the car is
> slowing it self down/engine reving the shifter vibrates and makes a

rattling
> noise. By placing my hand on it it goes away.
>
> Is this because there is something loose that wasn't put back on right?
> any suggestions would be great.
>
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07 Jun 2004, 08:43 pm
rastapasta
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Short Shifter vibrates/noise


"Jehu" <dcoxREMOVETHIS@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote in message
news:RK6xc.2375$vO1.21160@nnrp1.uunet.ca...
> Well I found the problem with the noise/vibration from my shifter. The
> bottom of the shifter was rubbing on the exhaust when the car was engine
> breaking causing it to vibrate.
>
>
> "Jehu" <dcoxREMOVETHIS@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote in message
> news:Rpxuc.48289$kc2.736387@nnrp1.uunet.ca...
> > Hey, I just recently had a short throw shifter installed on my car

(2000
> > civic SiR/Si in US). Works great except when in 2nd or 3rd and the car

is
> > slowing it self down/engine reving the shifter vibrates and makes a

> rattling
> > noise. By placing my hand on it it goes away.
> >
> > Is this because there is something loose that wasn't put back on right?
> > any suggestions would be great.
> >

>



I had a short-shifter put on my Teg not too long ago, & the guy said he
would have to cut the heat shield a bit to make it (the s.s.) fit, so I gave
him the ok to do it. I still feel it grind something (the heat shield?, but
not the gears) a bit sometimes, & sometimes it doesn't want to go into 1st
too easily. Oh well.


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.700 / Virus Database: 457 - Release Date: 6/6/2004


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07 Jun 2004, 10:04 pm
Jehu
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Short Shifter vibrates/noise

With the short shifter it makes it stiffer/harder to shift anyway tho.
Might just take some getting used to.


"rastapasta" <NOSPAM_rastapasta @ ev1.net_NOSPAM> wrote in message
news:10ca6e0o06a8ff8@corp.supernews.com...
>
> "Jehu" <dcoxREMOVETHIS@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote in message
> news:RK6xc.2375$vO1.21160@nnrp1.uunet.ca...
> > Well I found the problem with the noise/vibration from my shifter. The
> > bottom of the shifter was rubbing on the exhaust when the car was engine
> > breaking causing it to vibrate.
> >
> >
> > "Jehu" <dcoxREMOVETHIS@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote in message
> > news:Rpxuc.48289$kc2.736387@nnrp1.uunet.ca...
> > > Hey, I just recently had a short throw shifter installed on my car

> (2000
> > > civic SiR/Si in US). Works great except when in 2nd or 3rd and the

car
> is
> > > slowing it self down/engine reving the shifter vibrates and makes a

> > rattling
> > > noise. By placing my hand on it it goes away.
> > >
> > > Is this because there is something loose that wasn't put back on

right?
> > > any suggestions would be great.
> > >

> >

>
>
> I had a short-shifter put on my Teg not too long ago, & the guy said he
> would have to cut the heat shield a bit to make it (the s.s.) fit, so I

gave
> him the ok to do it. I still feel it grind something (the heat shield?,

but
> not the gears) a bit sometimes, & sometimes it doesn't want to go into 1st
> too easily. Oh well.
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.700 / Virus Database: 457 - Release Date: 6/6/2004
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07 Jun 2004, 10:34 pm
rastapasta
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Short Shifter vibrates/noise


"Jehu" <dcoxREMOVETHIS@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote in message
news:51axc.2473$vO1.22227@nnrp1.uunet.ca...
> With the short shifter it makes it stiffer/harder to shift anyway tho.
> Might just take some getting used to.
>



Yeah, I have. It threw me off, though, at first when I was at red lights (in
the city), & it turns green & I'm sittn' there, trying to throw it in 1st.
It's easy now, but every once in a while it'll catch me off guard & won't
wanna go in 1st.
*grrrrrrrrrrr...........*
;}


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.700 / Virus Database: 457 - Release Date: 6/6/2004


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07 Jun 2004, 10:51 pm
Cosmin N.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Short Shifter vibrates/noise

I'm trying to decide wether to have the same installed into my Prelude.
I drove a 1990 Integra with the short shifter, but I couldn't really
judge how much faster the shifts are in comparison to the regular
shifter. It did feel faster, and the amount of travel was reduced, but
does it really help?

Cosmin

rastapasta wrote:

> "Jehu" <dcoxREMOVETHIS@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote in message
> news:51axc.2473$vO1.22227@nnrp1.uunet.ca...
>
>>With the short shifter it makes it stiffer/harder to shift anyway tho.
>>Might just take some getting used to.
>>

>
>
>
> Yeah, I have. It threw me off, though, at first when I was at red lights (in
> the city), & it turns green & I'm sittn' there, trying to throw it in 1st.
> It's easy now, but every once in a while it'll catch me off guard & won't
> wanna go in 1st.
> *grrrrrrrrrrr...........*
> ;}
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.700 / Virus Database: 457 - Release Date: 6/6/2004
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08 Jun 2004, 01:50 am
rastapasta
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Short Shifter vibrates/noise


"Cosmin N." <no@email.com> wrote in message
news:qJaxc.1867$MH3.1717@news04.bloor.is.net.cable .rogers.com...
> I'm trying to decide wether to have the same installed into my Prelude.
> I drove a 1990 Integra with the short shifter, but I couldn't really
> judge how much faster the shifts are in comparison to the regular
> shifter. It did feel faster, and the amount of travel was reduced, but
> does it really help?
>
> Cosmin
>


Right----at first, I noticed the difference, & liked it. Now, though, I
often wonder if it's still a short-shifter! It seems I hardly notice the
difference anymore. Several weeks after install, I remember I even asked the
guy who put it on if it slips in throw distance (if that makes any sense), &
loses its "shortness" of throw. IOW, are short-shifters adjustable, where
you can modify the throw? (Answer is "No").Or---do you have to adjust them
every few months to keep the shortness? I know----I've just gotten used to
it, but It does make me wonder.


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.701 / Virus Database: 458 - Release Date: 6/7/2004


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jun 2004, 02:37 pm
Jehu
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Short Shifter vibrates/noise

I have found that after awhile I have just got used to it and it doesn't
seem like a change anymore.


"rastapasta" <NOSPAM_rastapasta @ ev1.net_NOSPAM> wrote in message
news:10caoe8fnefpr53@corp.supernews.com...
>
> "Cosmin N." <no@email.com> wrote in message
> news:qJaxc.1867$MH3.1717@news04.bloor.is.net.cable .rogers.com...
> > I'm trying to decide wether to have the same installed into my Prelude.
> > I drove a 1990 Integra with the short shifter, but I couldn't really
> > judge how much faster the shifts are in comparison to the regular
> > shifter. It did feel faster, and the amount of travel was reduced, but
> > does it really help?
> >
> > Cosmin
> >

>
> Right----at first, I noticed the difference, & liked it. Now, though, I
> often wonder if it's still a short-shifter! It seems I hardly notice the
> difference anymore. Several weeks after install, I remember I even asked

the
> guy who put it on if it slips in throw distance (if that makes any sense),

&
> loses its "shortness" of throw. IOW, are short-shifters adjustable, where
> you can modify the throw? (Answer is "No").Or---do you have to adjust them
> every few months to keep the shortness? I know----I've just gotten used to
> it, but It does make me wonder.
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.701 / Virus Database: 458 - Release Date: 6/7/2004
>
>



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Short Shifter for 1995 EG Gli Civic MikeLikes@gmail.com Honda 3 3 22 Mar 2005 10:56 am
Re: Short shifter issue Eric Honda 1 0 30 May 2004 02:26 am
Short shifter Burak S. Honda 3 5 29 Aug 2003 03:30 am
Short shifter? Burak S. Honda 2 1 19 Aug 2003 11:25 pm
short shifter for 2000 civic Jeremy Chapman Honda 1 0 26 Jun 2003 08:04 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.