Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 30 Jun 2009, 03:12 pm
Benjamin Bootstrap
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 4 cylinder better than V6?


Dear Honda experts:

I read in here that someone says Honda makes the best 4-cylinder and
stick with that (and manual.) So if I wanted a V6 I should not get a
Honda because Honda is not an expert building V6s?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 30 Jun 2009, 03:59 pm
Seth
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 4 cylinder better than V6?

"Benjamin Bootstrap" <benjamin.bootstrap@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:hbsk45p989dpvmmsskro0j4bqv4gglaf0g@4ax.com...
>
> Dear Honda experts:
>
> I read in here that someone says Honda makes the best 4-cylinder and
> stick with that (and manual.) So if I wanted a V6 I should not get a
> Honda because Honda is not an expert building V6s?


The V6 engine is fine, it's the transmission (mated to the V6) that has a
questionable history.

That said, I have an '01 Accord EX-V6 with almost 230,000 and an auto and
have had zero problems with the transmission. Unscheduled maintenance over
the life of the vehicle has been under $600 thus far.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 30 Jun 2009, 10:09 pm
Dave Kelsen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 4 cylinder better than V6?

On 6/30/2009 3:59 PM Seth spake these words of knowledge:

> "Benjamin Bootstrap" <benjamin.bootstrap@verizon.net> wrote in message
> news:hbsk45p989dpvmmsskro0j4bqv4gglaf0g@4ax.com...
>>
>> Dear Honda experts:
>>
>> I read in here that someone says Honda makes the best 4-cylinder and
>> stick with that (and manual.) So if I wanted a V6 I should not get a
>> Honda because Honda is not an expert building V6s?

>
> The V6 engine is fine, it's the transmission (mated to the V6) that has a
> questionable history.
>
> That said, I have an '01 Accord EX-V6 with almost 230,000 and an auto and
> have had zero problems with the transmission. Unscheduled maintenance over
> the life of the vehicle has been under $600 thus far.
>


Honda makes a very fine V6. To avoid potential problems, get one with a
manual transmission. Like a rock.


RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
01 Taffeta White Odyssey EX V6 4AT
03 Noble Green Accord LX Sedan I4 5AT
04 San Marino Red Accord EX-Navi Coupe V6 6MT
--
Approximately 75,000 years ago, the supervolcano Toba erupted. In 24
hours, it ejected enough material to fill the area inside the DC Beltway
over a kilometer deep. Good idea, bad timing.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01 Jul 2009, 06:07 am
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 4 cylinder better than V6?

In article <4a4ad37f$0$5679$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.co m>,
Dave Kelsen <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> >> I read in here that someone says Honda makes the best 4-cylinder and
> >> stick with that (and manual.) So if I wanted a V6 I should not get a
> >> Honda because Honda is not an expert building V6s?

> >
> > The V6 engine is fine, it's the transmission (mated to the V6) that has a
> > questionable history.
> >
> > That said, I have an '01 Accord EX-V6 with almost 230,000 and an auto and
> > have had zero problems with the transmission. Unscheduled maintenance over
> > the life of the vehicle has been under $600 thus far.
> >

>
> Honda makes a very fine V6. To avoid potential problems, get one with a
> manual transmission. Like a rock.


The issue is, Honda's 4 cylinder engines are WAY powerful enough--and
the gas savings is substantial over the 6 cylinder engine.

The 6 is for people who don't understand, and/or who just want bragging
rights. Nothing more.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01 Jul 2009, 09:28 pm
Dillon Pyron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 4 cylinder better than V6?

Thus spake "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> :

>In article <4a4ad37f$0$5679$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.co m>,
> Dave Kelsen <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> >> I read in here that someone says Honda makes the best 4-cylinder and
>> >> stick with that (and manual.) So if I wanted a V6 I should not get a
>> >> Honda because Honda is not an expert building V6s?
>> >
>> > The V6 engine is fine, it's the transmission (mated to the V6) that has a
>> > questionable history.
>> >
>> > That said, I have an '01 Accord EX-V6 with almost 230,000 and an auto and
>> > have had zero problems with the transmission. Unscheduled maintenance over
>> > the life of the vehicle has been under $600 thus far.
>> >

>>
>> Honda makes a very fine V6. To avoid potential problems, get one with a
>> manual transmission. Like a rock.

>
>The issue is, Honda's 4 cylinder engines are WAY powerful enough--and
>the gas savings is substantial over the 6 cylinder engine.
>
>The 6 is for people who don't understand, and/or who just want bragging
>rights. Nothing more.


I'm wondering if this is an issue in other parts of the country.

A couple of years ago, cops (multiple jurisdictions, including state)
busted several "tuners" in the Austin area who were buying Accords
with V6s and popping them in to Civics and then selling the rest of
the car for parts. By "buying" I mean buying from theives. You know
it's a theif if you pay $6000 for a 2005 Accord. And then sell the
engine for $4000 and the parts car for $4000.

--

- dillon I am not invalid

"Jimmy, I'm sorry your girlfriend turned out
to be a cylon."
-Special Agent Tim McGee, "NCIS"
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01 Jul 2009, 11:31 pm
L Alpert
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 4 cylinder better than V6?


"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
news:elmop-280BD4.07070601072009@news.eternal-september.org...
> In article <4a4ad37f$0$5679$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.co m>,
> Dave Kelsen <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> >> I read in here that someone says Honda makes the best 4-cylinder
>> >> and
>> >> stick with that (and manual.) So if I wanted a V6 I should not
>> >> get a
>> >> Honda because Honda is not an expert building V6s?
>> >
>> > The V6 engine is fine, it's the transmission (mated to the V6)
>> > that has a
>> > questionable history.
>> >
>> > That said, I have an '01 Accord EX-V6 with almost 230,000 and an
>> > auto and
>> > have had zero problems with the transmission. Unscheduled
>> > maintenance over
>> > the life of the vehicle has been under $600 thus far.
>> >

>>
>> Honda makes a very fine V6. To avoid potential problems, get one
>> with a
>> manual transmission. Like a rock.

>
> The issue is, Honda's 4 cylinder engines are WAY powerful
> enough--and
> the gas savings is substantial over the 6 cylinder engine.
>
> The 6 is for people who don't understand, and/or who just want
> bragging
> rights. Nothing more.


Or more pick up pulling out onto CA freeways with 3 people in the car
and the AC on where everyone is going 75 mph. My 6 gets 29.7 MPG on
the highway regularly, even driving at 75 mph most of the time.


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01 Jul 2009, 11:38 pm
Greg Campbell
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 4 cylinder better than V6?

Dave Kelsen wrote:

> Honda makes a very fine V6. To avoid potential problems, get one with a
> manual transmission. Like a rock.


It doesn't look like Honda offers a stick with the V6.

(As mentioned, the I4 makes 180~190HP, more oomph than you'll ever need.)
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jul 2009, 06:02 am
Dave Kelsen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 4 cylinder better than V6?

On 7/1/2009 11:38 PM Greg Campbell spake these words of knowledge:

> Dave Kelsen wrote:
>
>> Honda makes a very fine V6. To avoid potential problems, get one with a
>> manual transmission. Like a rock.

>
> It doesn't look like Honda offers a stick with the V6.
>
> (As mentioned, the I4 makes 180~190HP, more oomph than you'll ever need.)


I drive one daily.

I don't believe Honda has a stick with the V6 in the sedan. They did
for 2 model years of the 7th gen Accord.


RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
01 Taffeta White Odyssey EX V6 4AT
03 Noble Green Accord LX Sedan I4 5AT
04 San Marino Red Accord EX-Navi Coupe V6 6MT
--
That young receptionist at the sperm bank was really nice. When I left,
she thanked me for coming.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jul 2009, 11:46 pm
Benjamin Bootstrap
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 4 cylinder better than V6?

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 07:07:06 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
<elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <4a4ad37f$0$5679$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.co m>,
> Dave Kelsen <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> >> I read in here that someone says Honda makes the best 4-cylinder and
>> >> stick with that (and manual.) So if I wanted a V6 I should not get a
>> >> Honda because Honda is not an expert building V6s?
>> >
>> > The V6 engine is fine, it's the transmission (mated to the V6) that has a
>> > questionable history.
>> >
>> > That said, I have an '01 Accord EX-V6 with almost 230,000 and an auto and
>> > have had zero problems with the transmission. Unscheduled maintenance over
>> > the life of the vehicle has been under $600 thus far.
>> >

>>
>> Honda makes a very fine V6. To avoid potential problems, get one with a
>> manual transmission. Like a rock.

>
>The issue is, Honda's 4 cylinder engines are WAY powerful enough--and
>the gas savings is substantial over the 6 cylinder engine.
>
>The 6 is for people who don't understand, and/or who just want bragging
>rights. Nothing more.


Hmmm... really? I test drove a 4-cylinder 2008 Honda Accord and then
the EX-V6, and I can sense a big difference in terms of acceleration,
going up the hills, and the 4-cylinder feels like I'm dragging it
along.

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03 Jul 2009, 06:11 am
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 4 cylinder better than V6?

In article <r53r45991qq167mu4h1nuqom4uvmatrdij@4ax.com>,
Benjamin Bootstrap <benjamin.bootstrap@verizon.net> wrote:

> >The 6 is for people who don't understand, and/or who just want bragging
> >rights. Nothing more.

>
> Hmmm... really? I test drove a 4-cylinder 2008 Honda Accord and then
> the EX-V6, and I can sense a big difference in terms of acceleration,
> going up the hills, and the 4-cylinder feels like I'm dragging it
> along.


You probably just didn't want to rev the four banger. Hondas have
plenty of power, but people who are used to big engines AREN'T used to
revving the Honda to where the power is.

And sure there's a difference in power--but does the four banger NOT
perform perfectly well? There's enough, and then there's overkill.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER/ SLAVE CYLINDER don wienand Honda Technical 0 23 Jul 2008 02:22 pm
can you put a 1999 honda accord 4 cylinder drop kit on 6 cylinder? both are 4 door.? Juan Honda Technical 1 03 Jul 2008 01:16 am
how do i know if my honda accord dx 2002 is a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder? kiran Honda Technical 10 22 Sep 2007 12:46 pm
2001 Honda CR-V TSB for cylinder not firing -- replace cylinder head NewtA4RX330 Honda 3 2 23 Nov 2006 10:51 am
Which Accord Should I buy? 2004 Coupe 4 cylinder vs Coupe 6 cylinder Scott Honda 3 15 30 Nov 2003 09:00 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.