Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08 May 2004, 12:33 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default civic brake pad compatibility

is it ok to use a set of brake pads originally bought for a 2000 civic
on a 1989 civic? the size is identical - i'm wondering about pad material.

the part # of the 2000 pads on the box is 45022-SR8-A01

thanks!

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08 May 2004, 02:33 am
Mista Bone
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: civic brake pad compatibility

88-91 use a different style "tab"..........


"jim beam" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message
news:1j_mc.6451$2x5.4303@newssvr27.news.prodigy.co m...
> is it ok to use a set of brake pads originally bought for a 2000 civic
> on a 1989 civic? the size is identical - i'm wondering about pad

material.
>
> the part # of the 2000 pads on the box is 45022-SR8-A01
>
> thanks!
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08 May 2004, 11:09 am
Root
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: civic brake pad compatibility

I will buy them from you... how much?


"jim beam" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message
news:1j_mc.6451$2x5.4303@newssvr27.news.prodigy.co m...
> is it ok to use a set of brake pads originally bought for a 2000 civic
> on a 1989 civic? the size is identical - i'm wondering about pad

material.
>
> the part # of the 2000 pads on the box is 45022-SR8-A01
>
> thanks!
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09 May 2004, 12:14 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: civic brake pad compatibility

looks identical to me!

anyhow, tried these new pads this afternoon and in the process
discovered something totally unexpected.

the helm manual for the '89 civic states that "standard" disk thickness
is 19mm, but all new disks are 20mm, even genuine honda! this means you
have to skim a brand new disk before fitting because 20mm fouls the
caliper - as i found out the hard way.

bizarre.


Mista Bone wrote:
> 88-91 use a different style "tab"..........
>
>
> "jim beam" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message
> news:1j_mc.6451$2x5.4303@newssvr27.news.prodigy.co m...
>
>>is it ok to use a set of brake pads originally bought for a 2000 civic
>>on a 1989 civic? the size is identical - i'm wondering about pad

>
> material.
>
>>the part # of the 2000 pads on the box is 45022-SR8-A01
>>
>>thanks!
>>

>
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10 May 2004, 11:57 am
Robin Long
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: civic brake pad compatibility

I thought the thickness of the rotor should not affect the caliper much as
the distance between the pad and rotor varies as they get used anyway.

Is the 1mm really too much for the calipers? how did they get fouled?

Robin

> From: jim beam <uce@ftc.gov>
> Organization: SBC http://yahoo.sbc.com
> Newsgroups: alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
> Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 05:14:50 GMT
> Subject: Re: civic brake pad compatibility
>
> looks identical to me!
>
> anyhow, tried these new pads this afternoon and in the process
> discovered something totally unexpected.
>
> the helm manual for the '89 civic states that "standard" disk thickness
> is 19mm, but all new disks are 20mm, even genuine honda! this means you
> have to skim a brand new disk before fitting because 20mm fouls the
> caliper - as i found out the hard way.
>
> bizarre.
>
>
> Mista Bone wrote:
>> 88-91 use a different style "tab"..........
>>
>>
>> "jim beam" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message
>> news:1j_mc.6451$2x5.4303@newssvr27.news.prodigy.co m...
>>
>>> is it ok to use a set of brake pads originally bought for a 2000 civic
>>> on a 1989 civic? the size is identical - i'm wondering about pad

>>
>> material.
>>
>>> the part # of the 2000 pads on the box is 45022-SR8-A01
>>>
>>> thanks!
>>>

>>
>>
>>

>


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10 May 2004, 09:24 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: civic brake pad compatibility

it's not the floating bit, it's the fixed bit. just too narrow -
touches on the outside face.

Robin Long wrote:
> I thought the thickness of the rotor should not affect the caliper much as
> the distance between the pad and rotor varies as they get used anyway.
>
> Is the 1mm really too much for the calipers? how did they get fouled?
>
> Robin
>
>
>>From: jim beam <uce@ftc.gov>
>>Organization: SBC http://yahoo.sbc.com
>>Newsgroups: alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
>>Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 05:14:50 GMT
>>Subject: Re: civic brake pad compatibility
>>
>>looks identical to me!
>>
>>anyhow, tried these new pads this afternoon and in the process
>>discovered something totally unexpected.
>>
>>the helm manual for the '89 civic states that "standard" disk thickness
>>is 19mm, but all new disks are 20mm, even genuine honda! this means you
>>have to skim a brand new disk before fitting because 20mm fouls the
>>caliper - as i found out the hard way.
>>
>>bizarre.
>>
>>
>>Mista Bone wrote:
>>
>>>88-91 use a different style "tab"..........
>>>
>>>
>>>"jim beam" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message
>>>news:1j_mc.6451$2x5.4303@newssvr27.news.prodigy .com...
>>>
>>>
>>>>is it ok to use a set of brake pads originally bought for a 2000 civic
>>>>on a 1989 civic? the size is identical - i'm wondering about pad
>>>
>>>material.
>>>
>>>
>>>>the part # of the 2000 pads on the box is 45022-SR8-A01
>>>>
>>>>thanks!
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>

>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civic starter compatibility patbro@gmail.com Honda 3 0 29 Aug 2006 11:21 am
98-02 2Dr v 4Dr Radio compatibility FunkyKev Honda 3 6 13 Jun 2006 07:02 pm
Radio/ Stereo CD Player Compatibility Chart for Honda Civic 2004 Pie Honda 3 2 04 Jun 2004 12:24 pm
civic brake pad compatibility jim beam Honda 3 5 10 May 2004 09:24 pm
Compatibility of JDM vs. non-JDM Honda parts for CRX ? rick1_nospam@ultranet.com Honda 3 0 25 Jan 2004 06:12 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.