Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06 May 2004, 08:54 pm
O. Alvarez
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Advice on "Check Engine" light, '95 Honda Accord

Need some quick advice.

My wife drives a 95 Honda Accord. In January the Check Engine light
came on and we took it to our reliable mechanic (has been servicing the
car since new). It proved to be a false alarm and said everything is
fine. He said older cars like this do funny things like that.

Now today (May) it happened again. My (crazy) wife told me about it
after it was dark out, but I checked the oil, coolant, battery lug posts
(they loosen frequently). I also looked around for any coolant or oil
leaks. I found nothing. Oil and coolant were fine.

It is idling fine and the fans kicked in as normal. It is not running
hot nor making any strange noises.

Background info:

The oil and coolant get serviced EVERY 4 months since new and I am the
original owner. The car has never been wrecked or abused. It gets a
tune-up once a year or whenever my (crazy) wife says she heard the car
"make a strange noise".

Question:
Should I panic and run this car over to the mechanic first thing in the
morning?

or

Should I take it to the mechanic for its quarterly oil change some time
in the near future (next week).

Remember, normally I would take this in right away, but we already had
the "Check Engine" panic in January and everything was OK.


Is there anything else I might check that would cause an Check Engine
idiot light to come on?

Regars,
Malomarski
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06 May 2004, 10:09 pm
George Pennington
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Advice on "Check Engine" light, '95 Honda Accord


"O. Alvarez" <omar27@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:0ZBmc.135578$Yw5.7466@bignews4.bellsouth.net. ..
> Need some quick advice.
>
> My wife drives a 95 Honda Accord. In January the Check Engine light
> came on and we took it to our reliable mechanic (has been servicing the
> car since new). It proved to be a false alarm and said everything is
> fine. He said older cars like this do funny things like that.
>
> Now today (May) it happened again. My (crazy) wife told me about it
> after it was dark out, but I checked the oil, coolant, battery lug posts
> (they loosen frequently). I also looked around for any coolant or oil
> leaks. I found nothing. Oil and coolant were fine.
>
> It is idling fine and the fans kicked in as normal. It is not running
> hot nor making any strange noises.
>
> Background info:
>
> The oil and coolant get serviced EVERY 4 months since new and I am the
> original owner. The car has never been wrecked or abused. It gets a
> tune-up once a year or whenever my (crazy) wife says she heard the car
> "make a strange noise".
>
> Question:
> Should I panic and run this car over to the mechanic first thing in the
> morning?
>
> or
>
> Should I take it to the mechanic for its quarterly oil change some time
> in the near future (next week).
>
> Remember, normally I would take this in right away, but we already had
> the "Check Engine" panic in January and everything was OK.
>
>
> Is there anything else I might check that would cause an Check Engine
> idiot light to come on?
>
> Regars,
> Malomarski




under the dash on the passenger side of the car (under the glovebox) is a
blue 2 wire connector that doesnt plug in anywhere. use a jupmer wire to
bridge these terminals and the check engine light will flash diagnostic
trouble codes. it will flash each code 3 times the first code "12" is
normal and means that the engine is not running (key should be on but engine
stopped) it will flash 12 like this...
one long flash and then 2 short. for another example a 9 would be nine long
flashes, or a 21 would be two long flashes and one short. once you have
written down the codes you can contact a local honda dealer to determine
what the codes mean. If this is something you do not want to do yourself I
would recommend taking the car to a Honda dealership instead of your local
mechanic, they are much better equipped to deal with a check engine light.
Good luck,
George Pennington


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06 May 2004, 11:22 pm
O. Alvarez
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Advice on "Check Engine" light, '95 Honda Accord

Thanks for the info.
>
>
>
>
> under the dash on the passenger side of the car (under the glovebox) is a
> blue 2 wire connector that doesnt plug in anywhere. use a jupmer wire to
> bridge these terminals and the check engine light will flash diagnostic
> trouble codes. it will flash each code 3 times the first code "12" is
> normal and means that the engine is not running (key should be on but engine
> stopped) it will flash 12 like this...
> one long flash and then 2 short. for another example a 9 would be nine long
> flashes, or a 21 would be two long flashes and one short. once you have
> written down the codes you can contact a local honda dealer to determine
> what the codes mean. If this is something you do not want to do yourself I
> would recommend taking the car to a Honda dealership instead of your local
> mechanic, they are much better equipped to deal with a check engine light.
> Good luck,
> George Pennington
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07 May 2004, 07:25 am
Woody
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Advice on "Check Engine" light, '95 Honda Accord

You can look the codes up on line. Just do a google search. Dealers are
usually reluctant to give out information if you aren't taking the car to
them to fix.


"O. Alvarez" <omar27@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:%7Emc.135827$Yw5.99241@bignews4.bellsouth.net ...
> Thanks for the info.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > under the dash on the passenger side of the car (under the glovebox)

is a
> > blue 2 wire connector that doesnt plug in anywhere. use a jupmer wire to
> > bridge these terminals and the check engine light will flash diagnostic
> > trouble codes. it will flash each code 3 times the first code "12" is
> > normal and means that the engine is not running (key should be on but

engine
> > stopped) it will flash 12 like this...
> > one long flash and then 2 short. for another example a 9 would be nine

long
> > flashes, or a 21 would be two long flashes and one short. once you have
> > written down the codes you can contact a local honda dealer to determine
> > what the codes mean. If this is something you do not want to do

yourself I
> > would recommend taking the car to a Honda dealership instead of your

local
> > mechanic, they are much better equipped to deal with a check engine

light.
> > Good luck,
> > George Pennington
> >
> >



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07 May 2004, 11:41 am
George Pennington
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Advice on "Check Engine" light, '95 Honda Accord

not always true, i'm more than happy to hrlp someone on the phone if theyre
trying to fix it themselves. I take a couple calls a day on these.


"Woody" <TheDuck@pond.net> wrote in message
news:EeLmc.160$xo.101@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com.. .
> You can look the codes up on line. Just do a google search. Dealers are
> usually reluctant to give out information if you aren't taking the car to
> them to fix.
>
>
> "O. Alvarez" <omar27@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> news:%7Emc.135827$Yw5.99241@bignews4.bellsouth.net ...
> > Thanks for the info.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > under the dash on the passenger side of the car (under the

glovebox)
> is a
> > > blue 2 wire connector that doesnt plug in anywhere. use a jupmer wire

to
> > > bridge these terminals and the check engine light will flash

diagnostic
> > > trouble codes. it will flash each code 3 times the first code "12" is
> > > normal and means that the engine is not running (key should be on but

> engine
> > > stopped) it will flash 12 like this...
> > > one long flash and then 2 short. for another example a 9 would be nine

> long
> > > flashes, or a 21 would be two long flashes and one short. once you

have
> > > written down the codes you can contact a local honda dealer to

determine
> > > what the codes mean. If this is something you do not want to do

> yourself I
> > > would recommend taking the car to a Honda dealership instead of your

> local
> > > mechanic, they are much better equipped to deal with a check engine

> light.
> > > Good luck,
> > > George Pennington
> > >
> > >

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07 May 2004, 12:05 pm
Greg B
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Advice on "Check Engine" light, '95 Honda Accord

Have you filled up with gas lately? Either way before I did alot of work on
this I'd check the gas cap and make sure it is on tight.


"George Pennington" <gfpennington@insight.rr.com> wrote in message
news:S_Omc.102462$Vp5.63604@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
> not always true, i'm more than happy to hrlp someone on the phone if

theyre
> trying to fix it themselves. I take a couple calls a day on these.
>
>
> "Woody" <TheDuck@pond.net> wrote in message
> news:EeLmc.160$xo.101@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com.. .
> > You can look the codes up on line. Just do a google search. Dealers are
> > usually reluctant to give out information if you aren't taking the car

to
> > them to fix.
> >
> >
> > "O. Alvarez" <omar27@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > news:%7Emc.135827$Yw5.99241@bignews4.bellsouth.net ...
> > > Thanks for the info.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > under the dash on the passenger side of the car (under the

> glovebox)
> > is a
> > > > blue 2 wire connector that doesnt plug in anywhere. use a jupmer

wire
> to
> > > > bridge these terminals and the check engine light will flash

> diagnostic
> > > > trouble codes. it will flash each code 3 times the first code "12"

is
> > > > normal and means that the engine is not running (key should be on

but
> > engine
> > > > stopped) it will flash 12 like this...
> > > > one long flash and then 2 short. for another example a 9 would be

nine
> > long
> > > > flashes, or a 21 would be two long flashes and one short. once you

> have
> > > > written down the codes you can contact a local honda dealer to

> determine
> > > > what the codes mean. If this is something you do not want to do

> > yourself I
> > > > would recommend taking the car to a Honda dealership instead of your

> > local
> > > > mechanic, they are much better equipped to deal with a check engine

> > light.
> > > > Good luck,
> > > > George Pennington
> > > >
> > > >

> >
> >

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07 May 2004, 01:05 pm
O. Alvarez
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Advice on "Check Engine" light, '95 Honda Accord

Greg B wrote:
> Have you filled up with gas lately? Either way before I did alot of work on
> this I'd check the gas cap and make sure it is on tight.
>
>


Are you serious about the gas cap? The gas cap was lost around January
and I found a replacement for it at that time!

I had no idea the gas cap had a sensor that would give you a check
engine light...

I'll have to wait until the wife gets home with the car to check it out.

By the way, are these Japanese car gas caps "one size fits all" or are
there different ones for different makes?

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08 May 2004, 01:32 pm
George Pennington
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Advice on "Check Engine" light, '95 Honda Accord


"O. Alvarez" <omar27@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:M6Qmc.29954$cb.11782@bignews1.bellsouth.net.. .
> Greg B wrote:
> > Have you filled up with gas lately? Either way before I did alot of

work on
> > this I'd check the gas cap and make sure it is on tight.
> >
> >

>
> Are you serious about the gas cap? The gas cap was lost around January
> and I found a replacement for it at that time!
>
> I had no idea the gas cap had a sensor that would give you a check
> engine light...
>
> I'll have to wait until the wife gets home with the car to check it out.
>
> By the way, are these Japanese car gas caps "one size fits all" or are
> there different ones for different makes?
>
> Thanks all.


If the car was newer the gas cap could do it that started in 1996 when the
cars became OBDII compliant.


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08 May 2004, 04:20 pm
O. Alvarez
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Advice on "Check Engine" light, '95 Honda Accord

George Pennington wrote:
> "O. Alvarez" <omar27@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> news:M6Qmc.29954$cb.11782@bignews1.bellsouth.net.. .
>
>>Greg B wrote:
>>
>>>Have you filled up with gas lately? Either way before I did alot of

>
> work on
>
>>>this I'd check the gas cap and make sure it is on tight.
>>>
>>>

>>
>>Are you serious about the gas cap? The gas cap was lost around January
>>and I found a replacement for it at that time!
>>
>>I had no idea the gas cap had a sensor that would give you a check
>>engine light...
>>
>>I'll have to wait until the wife gets home with the car to check it out.
>>
>>By the way, are these Japanese car gas caps "one size fits all" or are
>>there different ones for different makes?
>>
>>Thanks all.

>
>
> If the car was newer the gas cap could do it that started in 1996 when the
> cars became OBDII compliant.
>
>

It wasn't the gas cap. Oh well...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2000 3.2TL, ran rough, check engine light, "fuel air metering" code mike_sutton_nospam@yahoo.com Acura 2 24 Nov 2006 08:27 pm
'96 Civic - Help with "Check Engine Light" Scan Code rf_uw_engineer@yahoo.com Honda 3 3 12 May 2006 09:36 pm
Got "check engine light" on for 99 civic. What does P1457 mean? stonehenson@gmail.com Honda 2 2 16 Jan 2006 10:17 am
"Check engine" (malfunction) light in 2000 Odyssey LX 2000OdysseyLX Honda 3 11 26 Dec 2004 04:10 pm
98 Accord "Engine Check" Dash Light Pelican Man Honda 2 8 16 Jun 2004 10:02 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.