Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04 May 2004, 12:15 pm
yahmed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Price Check (Timing belt, Water Pump, major service)

Hello Everyone,

I have accord 93. 190K km. I am planning to have its Timing belt
replaced. I called High River Honda (http://www.highriverhonda.com In
Alberta, Canada) and they gave me a quote of

Timing Belt (Including Parts and Labor): $230 Canadian
Water Pump (Including Parts and Labor): $170 Canadian
Major Service (http://www.highriverhonda.com/major.html): $270
Canadian

The guy said it will take one day and he will give me a loaner.

I purchased this accord used and am not sure if it needs any service.
Do you think this is a good price and I should go for it?

Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04 May 2004, 06:02 pm
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Price Check (Timing belt, Water Pump, major service)

In article <9b1229.0405040915.744721da@posting.google.com>,
ahmedyassir@yahoo.com (yahmed) wrote:

> I have accord 93. 190K km. I am planning to have its Timing belt
> replaced. I called High River Honda (http://www.highriverhonda.com In
> Alberta, Canada) and they gave me a quote of
>
> Timing Belt (Including Parts and Labor): $230 Canadian
> Water Pump (Including Parts and Labor): $170 Canadian
> Major Service (http://www.highriverhonda.com/major.html): $270
> Canadian
>
> The guy said it will take one day and he will give me a loaner.
>
> I purchased this accord used and am not sure if it needs any service.
> Do you think this is a good price and I should go for it?


That's a pretty darned good deal he's giving you. If you don't know
about the timing belt, get it changed.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05 May 2004, 12:02 am
Cosmin N.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Price Check (Timing belt, Water Pump, major service)

That is a pretty good deal for a Honda dealership. Cheapest I could find
was $450 for a timing belt, water pump and labour at a cash-only
mechanic (he worked on my 94 Accord EXR before, and did a great job, but
the parts were not OEM so I decided to go with a Honda dealership instead).

Cosmin

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> In article <9b1229.0405040915.744721da@posting.google.com>,
> ahmedyassir@yahoo.com (yahmed) wrote:
>
>
>>I have accord 93. 190K km. I am planning to have its Timing belt
>>replaced. I called High River Honda (http://www.highriverhonda.com In
>>Alberta, Canada) and they gave me a quote of
>>
>>Timing Belt (Including Parts and Labor): $230 Canadian
>>Water Pump (Including Parts and Labor): $170 Canadian
>>Major Service (http://www.highriverhonda.com/major.html): $270
>>Canadian
>>
>>The guy said it will take one day and he will give me a loaner.
>>
>>I purchased this accord used and am not sure if it needs any service.
>>Do you think this is a good price and I should go for it?

>
>
> That's a pretty darned good deal he's giving you. If you don't know
> about the timing belt, get it changed.
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05 May 2004, 10:49 am
yahmed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Price Check (Timing belt, Water Pump, major service)

Ok I will go with it. Do you think I should have them to replace the
water pump along with Timing Belt?



"Cosmin N." <no@email.com> wrote in message news:<Tz_lc.57390$DrD1.55468@news04.bloor.is.net.c able.rogers.com>...
> That is a pretty good deal for a Honda dealership. Cheapest I could find
> was $450 for a timing belt, water pump and labour at a cash-only
> mechanic (he worked on my 94 Accord EXR before, and did a great job, but
> the parts were not OEM so I decided to go with a Honda dealership instead).
>
> Cosmin
>
> Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>
> > In article <9b1229.0405040915.744721da@posting.google.com>,
> > ahmedyassir@yahoo.com (yahmed) wrote:
> >
> >
> >>I have accord 93. 190K km. I am planning to have its Timing belt
> >>replaced. I called High River Honda (http://www.highriverhonda.com In
> >>Alberta, Canada) and they gave me a quote of
> >>
> >>Timing Belt (Including Parts and Labor): $230 Canadian
> >>Water Pump (Including Parts and Labor): $170 Canadian
> >>Major Service (http://www.highriverhonda.com/major.html): $270
> >>Canadian
> >>
> >>The guy said it will take one day and he will give me a loaner.
> >>
> >>I purchased this accord used and am not sure if it needs any service.
> >>Do you think this is a good price and I should go for it?

> >
> >
> > That's a pretty darned good deal he's giving you. If you don't know
> > about the timing belt, get it changed.
> >

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05 May 2004, 12:03 pm
Cosmin N.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Price Check (Timing belt, Water Pump, major service)

It's a general practice to replace the water pump as well, because if it
does fail you'd have to get a timing belt change all over again.

Cosmin

yahmed wrote:
> Ok I will go with it. Do you think I should have them to replace the
> water pump along with Timing Belt?
>
>
>
> "Cosmin N." <no@email.com> wrote in message news:<Tz_lc.57390$DrD1.55468@news04.bloor.is.net.c able.rogers.com>...
>
>>That is a pretty good deal for a Honda dealership. Cheapest I could find
>>was $450 for a timing belt, water pump and labour at a cash-only
>>mechanic (he worked on my 94 Accord EXR before, and did a great job, but
>>the parts were not OEM so I decided to go with a Honda dealership instead).
>>
>>Cosmin
>>
>>Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>>
>>
>>>In article <9b1229.0405040915.744721da@posting.google.com>,
>>> ahmedyassir@yahoo.com (yahmed) wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>I have accord 93. 190K km. I am planning to have its Timing belt
>>>>replaced. I called High River Honda (http://www.highriverhonda.com In
>>>>Alberta, Canada) and they gave me a quote of
>>>>
>>>>Timing Belt (Including Parts and Labor): $230 Canadian
>>>>Water Pump (Including Parts and Labor): $170 Canadian
>>>>Major Service (http://www.highriverhonda.com/major.html): $270
>>>>Canadian
>>>>
>>>>The guy said it will take one day and he will give me a loaner.
>>>>
>>>>I purchased this accord used and am not sure if it needs any service.
>>>>Do you think this is a good price and I should go for it?
>>>
>>>
>>>That's a pretty darned good deal he's giving you. If you don't know
>>>about the timing belt, get it changed.
>>>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05 May 2004, 12:55 pm
Alex Rodriguez
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Price Check (Timing belt, Water Pump, major service)

In article <9b1229.0405050749.3f3f29f4@posting.google.com>,
ahmedyassir@yahoo.com says...
>
>
>Ok I will go with it. Do you think I should have them to replace the
>water pump along with Timing Belt?


Yes.
-----------
Alex

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05 May 2004, 01:51 pm
Chris
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Price Check (Timing belt, Water Pump, major service)

I am just wondering why you have to get the timing belt changed if the water
pump fails?


"Cosmin N." <no@email.com> wrote in message
news:t79mc.409806$2oI1.31866@twister01.bloor.is.ne t.cable.rogers.com...
> It's a general practice to replace the water pump as well, because if it
> does fail you'd have to get a timing belt change all over again.
>
> Cosmin
>
> yahmed wrote:
> > Ok I will go with it. Do you think I should have them to replace the
> > water pump along with Timing Belt?
> >
> >
> >
> > "Cosmin N." <no@email.com> wrote in message

news:<Tz_lc.57390$DrD1.55468@news04.bloor.is.net.c able.rogers.com>...
> >
> >>That is a pretty good deal for a Honda dealership. Cheapest I could find
> >>was $450 for a timing belt, water pump and labour at a cash-only
> >>mechanic (he worked on my 94 Accord EXR before, and did a great job, but
> >>the parts were not OEM so I decided to go with a Honda dealership

instead).
> >>
> >>Cosmin
> >>
> >>Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >>>In article <9b1229.0405040915.744721da@posting.google.com>,
> >>> ahmedyassir@yahoo.com (yahmed) wrote:
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>>I have accord 93. 190K km. I am planning to have its Timing belt
> >>>>replaced. I called High River Honda (http://www.highriverhonda.com In
> >>>>Alberta, Canada) and they gave me a quote of
> >>>>
> >>>>Timing Belt (Including Parts and Labor): $230 Canadian
> >>>>Water Pump (Including Parts and Labor): $170 Canadian
> >>>>Major Service (http://www.highriverhonda.com/major.html): $270
> >>>>Canadian
> >>>>
> >>>>The guy said it will take one day and he will give me a loaner.
> >>>>
> >>>>I purchased this accord used and am not sure if it needs any service.
> >>>>Do you think this is a good price and I should go for it?
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>That's a pretty darned good deal he's giving you. If you don't know
> >>>about the timing belt, get it changed.
> >>>



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05 May 2004, 02:03 pm
Matthew Hunt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Price Check (Timing belt, Water Pump, major service)

In article <1Jamc.797$KQ7.551@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>,
Chris <chris89c@sbcglobal.com> wrote:

> I am just wondering why you have to get the timing belt changed if the water
> pump fails?


The water pump is driven by the timing belt. So, obviously, changing
the pump requires removing and re-installing the timing belt--in other
words, the same labor as a TB change. (And the belt is cheap compared
to the labor, so you may as well put a fresh belt on.)
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05 May 2004, 07:53 pm
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Price Check (Timing belt, Water Pump, major service)

mph@wopr.caltech.edu (Matthew Hunt) wrote in
news:c7bdpb$bot$1@naig.caltech.edu:

> In article <1Jamc.797$KQ7.551@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>,
> Chris <chris89c@sbcglobal.com> wrote:
>
>> I am just wondering why you have to get the timing belt changed if
>> the water pump fails?

>
> The water pump is driven by the timing belt. So, obviously, changing
> the pump requires removing and re-installing the timing belt--in other
> words, the same labor as a TB change. (And the belt is cheap compared
> to the labor, so you may as well put a fresh belt on.)
>


What fails in the water pump?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05 May 2004, 10:46 pm
Randy Hunt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Price Check (Timing belt, Water Pump, major service)

In article <Xns94E0D4CC17E20jyanikkuanet@204.117.192.21>,
jyanik@abuse.gov says...
> mph@wopr.caltech.edu (Matthew Hunt) wrote in
> news:c7bdpb$bot$1@naig.caltech.edu:
>
> > In article <1Jamc.797$KQ7.551@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>,
> > Chris <chris89c@sbcglobal.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I am just wondering why you have to get the timing belt changed if
> >> the water pump fails?

> >
> > The water pump is driven by the timing belt. So, obviously, changing
> > the pump requires removing and re-installing the timing belt--in other
> > words, the same labor as a TB change. (And the belt is cheap compared
> > to the labor, so you may as well put a fresh belt on.)
> >

>
> What fails in the water pump?
>
>

Bearings and seals.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Timing belt / water pump mpet500 Honda 3 15 16 Mar 2005 10:18 am
when to change timing belt/water pump Konyoman Honda 3 2 08 Aug 2004 06:43 pm
Price Check (Timing belt, Water Pump, major service) yahmed Honda 3 15 08 May 2004 02:41 am
Timing belt and water pump replacement R. P. Honda 3 9 03 Feb 2004 11:28 pm
99 Accord V6 timing belt and water pump? ULTRASTRYK Honda 3 3 03 Feb 2004 02:22 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.