Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03 May 2004, 05:01 pm
Bryan Canter
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Security system v *only* keyless entry

Hi:

On an Accord 2000 LX 4Dr, what does it buy me to get a security system
installed vs only the keyless entry (with optional trunk release). I
have spoken to a few dealerships in the area and I have been more
confused than ever. (The service department guys are so clueless that
it is not even funny.)

I am looking at buying the parts off the net
(www.hondaautomotiveparts.com has some decent prices) and just getting
it installed at a dealership. So I do not need any surprises like not
ordering something I need or ordering something I do not need (for
example, this service guy told me that installing trunk release would
cost me more than $300 additional so I am better off just getting the
keyless entry installed. I still find it hard to believe.)

That is the reason I am posting to this group. I know people here are
knowledgable about this kind of stuff.

Thanks in advance.
PS: I asked this question (SS vs Keyless) to another service dept guy
as well. He didn't know.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04 May 2004, 12:56 am
Randolph
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Security system v *only* keyless entry

I don't know the difference between the factory remote entry and the
factory security system, but If all you want is remote entry, you can
get http://tinyurl.com/3eb77 for $40. I have installed 2 of these, one
in an Accord. Great systems and easy to install. For trunk release, add
http://tinyurl.com/2vp8j at $13.80 and http://tinyurl.com/2s3tn at
$1.79. Of course your your Honda service department probably won't touch
these after market items, but any alarm or stereo installer will be able
to do the job.

Bryan Canter wrote:
>
> Hi:
>
> On an Accord 2000 LX 4Dr, what does it buy me to get a security system
> installed vs only the keyless entry (with optional trunk release). I
> have spoken to a few dealerships in the area and I have been more
> confused than ever. (The service department guys are so clueless that
> it is not even funny.)
>
> I am looking at buying the parts off the net
> (www.hondaautomotiveparts.com has some decent prices) and just getting
> it installed at a dealership. So I do not need any surprises like not
> ordering something I need or ordering something I do not need (for
> example, this service guy told me that installing trunk release would
> cost me more than $300 additional so I am better off just getting the
> keyless entry installed. I still find it hard to believe.)
>
> That is the reason I am posting to this group. I know people here are
> knowledgable about this kind of stuff.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> PS: I asked this question (SS vs Keyless) to another service dept guy
> as well. He didn't know.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04 May 2004, 03:49 pm
Bryan Canter
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Security system v *only* keyless entry

Randolph <trash@junkmail.com> wrote in message news:<40972FB3.C1BC1814@junkmail.com>...
> I don't know the difference between the factory remote entry and the
> factory security system, but If all you want is remote entry, you can
> get http://tinyurl.com/3eb77 for $40. I have installed 2 of these, one
> in an Accord. Great systems and easy to install. For trunk release, add
> http://tinyurl.com/2vp8j at $13.80 and http://tinyurl.com/2s3tn at
> $1.79. Of course your your Honda service department probably won't touch
> these after market items, but any alarm or stereo installer will be able
> to do the job.


Me Likey!

For $65 I can have both keyless entry and trunk release. Installation
should not be that expensive. Time to call Best Buy.

Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10 May 2004, 03:45 pm
Bryan Canter
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Security system v *only* keyless entry

Best Buy person said they have basic labor included in the cost so if
I buy a kit there, the install is going to be less expensive. But I
did not like the one kit they had and the price quoted ($175
installed).

Circuit City had a keyless entry system with ugly looking remotes for
$50 and with the install the total cost came to just over a $100.
Very tempting but the remotes were so ugly that I had to say no. The
sales person said that they would install my outside bought system for
about $100, ONLY if it was an AudioVox.

I think I will just wait till they have a better looking system going
for cheap.

Couple of questions in the meantime: do all the keyless entry systems
work the same? Meaning if I buy something ultra cheap, will it's
range be very less? Some reviews on the Circuit City website seem to
indicate that cheapo systems only work when you are really close to
the car.

Also, both CC and BB told me that it would cost me about $150 for the
trunk release alone (beside the $100-$200 for keyless entry) so it is
not worth getting it. In fact the Honda dealership also said
something to that effect. Is it really that much harder to install
trunk release? I do not have power trunk release (just power doors).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11 May 2004, 01:46 am
Randolph
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Security system v *only* keyless entry

> Couple of questions in the meantime: do all the keyless entry systems
> work the same? Meaning if I buy something ultra cheap, will it's
> range be very less?


The $40 unit I installed in my brother's car has ample range. He usually
unlocks the doors when he is about 50 feet away from the car, but it
will reach farther. On the flip side, if the range is too good, you may
inadvertently be opening the locks when you don't want to: Key chain
being bumped in your pocket and locks opening in the parking lot at
work, parked at the curb outside your house etc.

> Is it really that much harder to install
> trunk release? I do not have power trunk release (just power doors).


For keyless remote only (assuming the car already has power locks) you
place the receiver box somewhere near the fuse box under the dash, and
every wire you need to tap into is within a foot (or perhaps 2 feet) of
the box. Quick and easy work for someone who has done it a few times.
For trunk release you need to mount the actuator and pull wires from the
trunk and up front to the receiver box. Not difficult, but time
consuming. The trunk actuator pulls with significant force, so proper
mechanical mounting is important.

I think your best bet is to befriend someone who enjoys this kind of
work and make it a weekend project. You can start with the keyless entry
and add trunk release later if the motivation is there. Or you could
take it to a smaller, independent shop. I don't think they are any less
competent then the guys doing it at CC or BB.

What car is this? I know you stated it earlier, but I forgot. Where are
you located?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 13 May 2004, 12:35 pm
Bryan Canter
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Security system v *only* keyless entry

Thanks Randolph for your quick response.

> will reach farther. On the flip side, if the range is too good, you may
> inadvertently be opening the locks when you don't want to: Key chain


Yes indeed, never thought of it that way, since I don't have it yet.

> For trunk release you need to mount the actuator and pull wires from the


Thanks for explaining that. It makes sense now why they ask for more
money for trunk release.

> take it to a smaller, independent shop. I don't think they are any less
> competent then the guys doing it at CC or BB.


Befriending someone would be tough. :-) But I can look for smaller
independent shops in this area.

> What car is this? I know you stated it earlier, but I forgot. Where are
> you located?


It is an Accord 2000 LX and I live close to Boston.

Regards.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 17 May 2004, 12:12 pm
Bryan Canter
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Security system v *only* keyless entry

Yesterday I got this one from CC, Code Alarm CSA CSI100:

http://tinyurl.com/29xlt

<http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&u=c&catoid=-8867&qp=0&oid=90263&m=1>

for about $120 installed. I have scheduled an appointment for next
Sunday for the actual install but bought the kit already. I will open
it tonight to see if it is something I can do myself. But I am
inclined to get it done professionally anyways because the 50-60 bucks
I save would not be worth the 2-3 hours I put in (at a minimum).

Thanks for all help.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 17 May 2004, 12:17 pm
Bryan Canter
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Security system v *only* keyless entry

Yesterday I got this one from CC, Code Alarm CSA CSI100:

http://tinyurl.com/29xlt

<http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&u=c&catoid=-8867&qp=0&oid=90263&m=1>

for about $120 installed. I have scheduled an appointment for next
Sunday for the actual install but bought the kit already. I will open
it tonight to see if it is something I can do myself. But I am
inclined to get it done professionally anyways because the 50-60 bucks
I save would not be worth the 2-3 hours I put in (at a minimum).

Thanks for all help.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 17 May 2004, 04:36 pm
Randolph
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Security system v *only* keyless entry

Glad you found something that works without breaking the bank.

> I will open it tonight to see if it is something I can do myself.
> But I am inclined to get it done professionally anyways because
> the 50-60 bucks I save would not be worth the 2-3 hours I put in
> (at a minimum).


Unless you get some enjoyment out of that sort of work, it would be 60
hard earned dollars.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 20 May 2004, 12:19 pm
Bryan Canter
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Security system v *only* keyless entry

Saw the DVD video last night and it did not help at all. Except for
the mention of car-specific wiring instructions on their website it
did not inspire any confidence in me at all. It is just a bunch of
tips and common sense remarks. Well, in all fairness they do give you
a low down on how to identify wires and where to install the
components and such, but I was looking for a video of an actual
installation with some tips on how to open the dash board etc.

Was not what I was looking for. So I will let the professionals
handle this one.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which aftermarket keyless entry system to install on 2002 Honda Civic LX? rick.mckee@aia.com Honda 2 1 13 Jun 2007 05:31 pm
Keyless/Security on 2001 TL Conan Kelly Acura 3 24 May 2006 07:05 pm
Keyless Entry gwtx2 Honda 3 0 09 Nov 2005 02:19 pm
Keyless entry system for Accord 96 Mehboob Honda 3 3 02 Sep 2004 04:39 pm
TL Keyless Entry Mike Acura 0 29 Aug 2003 03:51 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.