Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 14 May 2009, 02:29 pm
Zephyr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 05 odyssey moves forward in neutra

Hey all,

have an 05 ody with 75,000 auto trans obviously.
It moves forward in neutral ever so slightly, If I am a complete stop
on flat ground and put it in N it will start to creep forward.
Hitting the gas does not make it move quicker ...
If I go to reverse and back to N it does not go in reverse still.

not sure whats going on here.

Dave

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 14 May 2009, 02:58 pm
Charlie Darwin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 05 odyssey moves forward in neutra

"Zephyr" <davedejonge@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:a8468878-f376-4cc3-afe0-7c659ea2455a@s20g2000vbp.googlegroups.com...
> Hey all,
>
> have an 05 ody with 75,000 auto trans obviously.
> It moves forward in neutral ever so slightly, If I am a complete stop
> on flat ground and put it in N it will start to creep forward.
> Hitting the gas does not make it move quicker ...
> If I go to reverse and back to N it does not go in reverse still.
>
> not sure whats going on here.
>
> Dave
>


Are ya' parkin' on a hill now, Davey-boy?


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 14 May 2009, 08:06 pm
ACAR
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 05 odyssey moves forward in neutra

On May 14, 3:29*pm, Zephyr <davedejo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> have an 05 ody with *75,000 *auto trans obviously.
> It moves forward in neutral ever so slightly, *If I am a complete stop
> on flat ground and put it in N it will start to creep forward.
> Hitting the gas does not make it move quicker ...
> If I go to reverse and back to N it does not go in reverse still.
>
> not sure whats going on here.
>
> Dave


carpenter's level might help you figure this one out for yourself.

if you can get it to roll up a hill in N, you should call that guy who
invented cold fusion.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 15 May 2009, 07:49 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 05 odyssey moves forward in neutra

Zephyr <davedejonge@hotmail.com> wrote in news:a8468878-f376-4cc3-afe0-
7c659ea2455a@s20g2000vbp.googlegroups.com:

> Hey all,
>
> have an 05 ody with 75,000 auto trans obviously.
> It moves forward in neutral ever so slightly, If I am a complete stop
> on flat ground and put it in N it will start to creep forward.
> Hitting the gas does not make it move quicker ...
> If I go to reverse and back to N it does not go in reverse still.
>
> not sure whats going on here.
>
>
>





You'd be surprised how few "flat" roads are really and truly "flat".

Find a road (or parking lot) that has a very slight, but definite slope.
Point your car UP that slope. Try your "N" thing on that road. Now turn the
vehicle around 180 degrees and try it again. If the car rolls in the same
direction relative to the COMPASS in either direction, then the car is
simply rolling down the slope. If it moves in the same direction relative
to the FRONT OF THE VEHICLE, then you have a tranny problem.

The "N" setting on the transmission disconnects the wheels from the
transmission, so the car would be expected to roll if on a slope.

The "P" setting is the same as "N", except that there is a pin inside the
transmission that locks the works together so the car will not roll.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 18 May 2009, 02:08 pm
Zephyr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 05 odyssey moves forward in neutra

On May 15, 8:49*am, Tegger <inva...@invalid.inv> wrote:
> Zephyr <davedejo...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:a8468878-f376-4cc3-afe0-
> 7c659ea24...@s20g2000vbp.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Hey all,

>
> > have an 05 ody with *75,000 *auto trans obviously.
> > It moves forward in neutral ever so slightly, *If I am a complete stop
> > on flat ground and put it in N it will start to creep forward.
> > Hitting the gas does not make it move quicker ...
> > If I go to reverse and back to N it does not go in reverse still.

>
> > not sure whats going on here.

>
> You'd be surprised how few "flat" roads are really and truly "flat".
>
> Find a road (or parking lot) that has a very slight, but definite slope.
> Point your car UP that slope. Try your "N" thing on that road. Now turn the
> vehicle around 180 degrees and try it again. If the car rolls in the same
> direction relative to the COMPASS in either direction, then the car is
> simply rolling down the slope. If it moves in the same direction relative
> to the FRONT OF THE VEHICLE, then you have a tranny problem.
>
> The "N" setting on the transmission disconnects the wheels from the
> transmission, so the car would be expected to roll if on a slope.
>
> The "P" setting is the same as "N", except that there is a pin inside the
> transmission that locks the works together so the car will not roll.
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/


Thanks for the thoughts on what constitutes level... I've tried the
check at many different points, and it always acts the same.
how about this.. the first time I discovered it did this was when
waiting to get into a carwash, the attendant hadn't yet started me
thru ( one of those track jobbies that pull you along while in N) The
attendant had to step out of the way, and I hit the brakes because the
car was running him over as he hit the front with the power
washer...
He comes over and says, hey, put it in N... I tell him, I already
am! going thru the wash the car pulled forward of the pushing
mechanism .

thanks

Dave


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 18 May 2009, 06:07 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 05 odyssey moves forward in neutra

Zephyr <davedejonge@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:b8bddca6-b484-4529-b98e-cf640ffab062@g20g2000vba.googlegroups.com:

>
> Thanks for the thoughts on what constitutes level... I've tried the
> check at many different points, and it always acts the same.
> how about this.. the first time I discovered it did this was when
> waiting to get into a carwash, the attendant hadn't yet started me
> thru ( one of those track jobbies that pull you along while in N) The
> attendant had to step out of the way, and I hit the brakes because the
> car was running him over as he hit the front with the power
> washer...
> He comes over and says, hey, put it in N... I tell him, I already
> am! going thru the wash the car pulled forward of the pushing
> mechanism .
>





The first thing to check is the fluid level. If it's overfilled, this
symptom will occur.

Have you added fluid recently?

Do you know the correct fluid level checking procedure? Hint: It's NOT the
same as non-Honda cars!


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 18 May 2009, 08:01 pm
Zephyr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 05 odyssey moves forward in neutra

On May 18, 7:07*pm, Tegger <inva...@invalid.inv> wrote:
> Zephyr <davedejo...@hotmail.com> wrote innews:b8bddca6-b484-4529-b98e-cf640ffab062@g20g2000vba.googlegroups.com:
>
>
>
> > Thanks for the thoughts on what constitutes level... *I've tried the
> > check at many different points, and it always acts the same.
> > how about this.. *the first time I discovered it did this was when
> > waiting to get into a carwash, *the attendant hadn't yet started me
> > thru ( one of those track jobbies that pull you along while in N) *The
> > attendant had to step out of the way, and I hit the brakes because the
> > car was running him over as he hit the front with the power
> > washer...
> > He comes over and says, *hey, put it in N... *I tell him, I already
> > am! *going thru the wash the car pulled forward of the pushing
> > mechanism .

>
> The first thing to check is the fluid level. If it's overfilled, this
> symptom will occur.
>
> Have you added fluid recently?
>
> Do you know the correct fluid level checking procedure? Hint: It's NOT the
> same as non-Honda cars!
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/


Yeah, I've checked it with the car both warm and cold, not running,
came out between the dots both times.
I'm totally stumped...
I think for now I will just drain and refill the trans and see what
happens, any other suggestions?

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 19 May 2009, 06:57 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 05 odyssey moves forward in neutra

Zephyr <davedejonge@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:6a92b289-339e-4a02-b656-7b960d4df989@g19g2000vbi.googlegroups.com:

> On May 18, 7:07*pm, Tegger <inva...@invalid.inv> wrote:
>> Zephyr <davedejo...@hotmail.com> wrote
>> innews:b8bddca6-b484-4529-b98e-cf6

> 40ffab062@g20g2000vba.googlegroups.com:
>>
>>
>>
>> > Thanks for the thoughts on what constitutes level... *I've tried
>> > the check at many different points, and it always acts the same.
>> > how about this.. *the first time I discovered it did this was when
>> > waiting to get into a carwash, *the attendant hadn't yet started me
>> > thru ( one of those track jobbies that pull you along while in N)
>> > *The
>> > attendant had to step out of the way, and I hit the brakes because
>> > the car was running him over as he hit the front with the power
>> > washer...
>> > He comes over and says, *hey, put it in N... *I tell him, I already
>> > am! *going thru the wash the car pulled forward of the pushing
>> > mechanism .

>>
>>
>> The first thing to check is the fluid level. If it's overfilled, this
>> symptom will occur.
>>
>> Have you added fluid recently?
>>
>> Do you know the correct fluid level checking procedure? Hint: It's
>> NOT the same as non-Honda cars!
>>
>>

>
>
> Yeah, I've checked it with the car both warm and cold, not running,
> came out between the dots both times.





You checked the level HOT, less than one minute after shutting the
engine off?




> I'm totally stumped...
> I think for now I will just drain and refill the trans and see what
> happens, any other suggestions?
>
>





The service manual is not encouraging. It says there are all sorts of
possible problems that can cause this, some of them serious. Many of
them are stuck shift solenoids, so a drain-and-fill just may help.
Remember to drain-and-fill several times, driving the car in each range
(including Neutal and Reverse) for a bit between each iteration.

When you do the first drain, check the fluid carefully for black or
shiny silver particles.



--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 19 May 2009, 01:08 pm
Zephyr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 05 odyssey moves forward in neutra

On May 19, 7:57*am, Tegger <inva...@invalid.inv> wrote:
> Zephyr <davedejo...@hotmail.com> wrote innews:6a92b289-339e-4a02-b656-7b960d4df989@g19g2000vbi.googlegroups.com:
>
>
>
> > On May 18, 7:07*pm, Tegger <inva...@invalid.inv> wrote:
> >> Zephyr <davedejo...@hotmail.com> wrote
> >> innews:b8bddca6-b484-4529-b98e-cf6

> > 40ffab...@g20g2000vba.googlegroups.com:

>
> >> > Thanks for the thoughts on what constitutes level... *I've tried
> >> > the check at many different points, and it always acts the same.
> >> > how about this.. *the first time I discovered it did this was when
> >> > waiting to get into a carwash, *the attendant hadn't yet started me
> >> > thru ( one of those track jobbies that pull you along while in N)
> >> > *The
> >> > attendant had to step out of the way, and I hit the brakes because
> >> > the car was running him over as he hit the front with the power
> >> > washer...
> >> > He comes over and says, *hey, put it in N... *I tell him, I already
> >> > am! *going thru the wash the car pulled forward of the pushing
> >> > mechanism .

>
> >> The first thing to check is the fluid level. If it's overfilled, this
> >> symptom will occur.

>
> >> Have you added fluid recently?

>
> >> Do you know the correct fluid level checking procedure? Hint: It's
> >> NOT the same as non-Honda cars!

>
> > Yeah, *I've checked it with the car both warm and cold, *not running,
> > came out between the dots both times.

>
> You checked the level HOT, less than one minute after shutting the
> engine off?
>



well, it might have been 65 seconds, but...


> > I'm totally stumped...
> > I think for now I will just drain and refill the trans and see what
> > happens, *any other suggestions?

>
> The service manual is not encouraging. It says there are all sorts of
> possible problems that can cause this, some of them serious. Many of
> them are stuck shift solenoids, so a drain-and-fill just may help.
> Remember to drain-and-fill several times, driving the car in each range
> (including Neutal and Reverse) for a bit between each iteration.
>
> When you do the first drain, check the fluid carefully for black or
> shiny silver particles.




I will be looking, honestly though, given how close this thing is
to the ground I am not excited to crawl under it. I don't have jack
stands, and only the one lift for changing to the spare donut. I have
ramps, but I don't think the ground effects is going to let me up
them, too steep of an incline. ( I can't get my accord up them
either).. anyway, thats my issue. Thanks for your thoughts.

Dave


>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 19 May 2009, 04:19 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 05 odyssey moves forward in neutra

Zephyr <davedejonge@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:5523fca9-4c0d-41e8-8d55-34aa69b38895@z19g2000vbz.googlegroups.com:

> On May 19, 7:57*am, Tegger <inva...@invalid.inv> wrote:
>>
>>
>> The service manual is not encouraging. It says there are all sorts of
>> possible problems that can cause this, some of them serious. Many of
>> them are stuck shift solenoids, so a drain-and-fill just may help.
>> Remember to drain-and-fill several times, driving the car in each
>> range (including Neutal and Reverse) for a bit between each
>> iteration.
>>
>> When you do the first drain, check the fluid carefully for black or
>> shiny silver particles.

>
>
>
> I will be looking, honestly though, given how close this thing is
> to the ground I am not excited to crawl under it. I don't have jack
> stands, and only the one lift for changing to the spare donut. I have
> ramps, but I don't think the ground effects is going to let me up
> them, too steep of an incline.




Yep. You need a floor jack ($100 or so) and a pair of decent jack stands.



> ( I can't get my accord up them
> either).. anyway, thats my issue. Thanks for your thoughts.




Or you could get a garage to do the drain-and-fill.




--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
free sex moves download maryratanakumari03@gmail.com Honda 2 0 20 Aug 2008 09:00 am
Mutoh Makes His Moves To Indycars skylight Honda Racing News 0 12 Aug 2008 01:10 am
91 Accord - screeches when first moves dgk Honda 2 16 10 Jun 2008 02:55 pm
2003 honda civic from dealership, car moves forward wilth in PARK ?? it only starts when valet... fonzee Honda Technical 6 10 Oct 2007 06:00 pm
idle moves inpark ursula30 Acura 5 15 Jul 2005 05:05 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.