Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10 May 2009, 08:37 am
Flatlander
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Timing Belts

Is there any reasonably easy way of telling if a timing belt has been
recently changed? We're about to buy a 2001 Civic. The owner claims
has had the timing belt changed (at 116k!). The Honda dealer has no
record of having seen the car in 7 years. The car has otherwise been
well maintained at an independent shop (new brakes, tires, etc.).
However, having a timing belt break would be a pretty big deal.

Trying to avoid doing work that doesn't need to be done, but will have
it done as a precaution if there's no good way to tell what the status
of the current belt is.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10 May 2009, 09:22 am
Greg Campbell
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Timing Belts

Flatlander wrote:

> Is there any reasonably easy way of telling if a timing belt has been
> recently changed? We're about to buy a 2001 Civic. The owner claims
> has had the timing belt changed (at 116k!). The Honda dealer has no
> record of having seen the car in 7 years. The car has otherwise been
> well maintained at an independent shop (new brakes, tires, etc.).
> However, having a timing belt break would be a pretty big deal.
>
> Trying to avoid doing work that doesn't need to be done, but will have
> it done as a precaution if there's no good way to tell what the status
> of the current belt is.


Pull the cover and look for any markings on the belt. If you find an
aftermarket brand (Gates, etc.), or something that looks like a recent
date code, you're set. Does anyone know how/if the OEM belt is marked?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10 May 2009, 10:45 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Timing Belts

Greg Campbell wrote:
> Flatlander wrote:
>
>> Is there any reasonably easy way of telling if a timing belt has been
>> recently changed? We're about to buy a 2001 Civic. The owner claims
>> has had the timing belt changed (at 116k!). The Honda dealer has no
>> record of having seen the car in 7 years. The car has otherwise been
>> well maintained at an independent shop (new brakes, tires, etc.).
>> However, having a timing belt break would be a pretty big deal.
>>
>> Trying to avoid doing work that doesn't need to be done, but will have
>> it done as a precaution if there's no good way to tell what the status
>> of the current belt is.

>
> Pull the cover and look for any markings on the belt. If you find an
> aftermarket brand (Gates, etc.), or something that looks like a recent
> date code, you're set. Does anyone know how/if the OEM belt is marked?


if i saw a gates belt, i'd replace the damned thing.

to the op, all the above tells you is that the work wasn't done at a
honda dealer. there are plenty of good independent honda shops out
there that could have done it. but you need evidence. if the seller
has the receipts, assume the belt has been changed. if not, get them to
discount the car by the full price of having it done by the dealer.
it's their loss if they didn't keep the evidence.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10 May 2009, 01:21 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Timing Belts

Greg Campbell <nospam@null.net> wrote in news:GqBNl.43117$i24.12798
@newsfe14.iad:

> Flatlander wrote:
>
>> Is there any reasonably easy way of telling if a timing belt has been
>> recently changed? We're about to buy a 2001 Civic. The owner claims
>> has had the timing belt changed (at 116k!). The Honda dealer has no
>> record of having seen the car in 7 years. The car has otherwise been
>> well maintained at an independent shop (new brakes, tires, etc.).
>> However, having a timing belt break would be a pretty big deal.
>>
>> Trying to avoid doing work that doesn't need to be done, but will have
>> it done as a precaution if there's no good way to tell what the status
>> of the current belt is.

>
> Pull the cover and look for any markings on the belt. If you find an
> aftermarket brand (Gates, etc.), or something that looks like a recent
> date code, you're set. Does anyone know how/if the OEM belt is marked?




I have not seen date codes on OEM timing belts or accessory drive belts.

Sometimes part numbers change (are "superseded"). There are instances where
you can get a rough idea as to the age of a belt by comparing the part
number on that belt to the part number of the currently-available belt.

If the life of the belt is unknown, there is no safe option other than
replacing it pre-emptively.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10 May 2009, 02:17 pm
KLS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Timing Belts

On Sun, 10 May 2009 08:45:14 -0700, jim beam <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>to the op, all the above tells you is that the work wasn't done at a
>honda dealer. there are plenty of good independent honda shops out
>there that could have done it. but you need evidence. if the seller
>has the receipts, assume the belt has been changed. if not, get them to
>discount the car by the full price of having it done by the dealer.
>it's their loss if they didn't keep the evidence.


This all reminds me: I am much more favorably inclined to buy a used
car from someone who can give me a nice thick manila folder of repair
receipts (and probably why I've been able to sell all my cars so
successfully, as I'm anal about keeping all my receipts in
chronological order, newest on top).
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10 May 2009, 03:02 pm
Dillon Pyron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Timing Belts

Thus spake Tegger <invalid@invalid.inv> :

>Greg Campbell <nospam@null.net> wrote in news:GqBNl.43117$i24.12798
>@newsfe14.iad:
>
>> Flatlander wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any reasonably easy way of telling if a timing belt has been
>>> recently changed? We're about to buy a 2001 Civic. The owner claims
>>> has had the timing belt changed (at 116k!). The Honda dealer has no
>>> record of having seen the car in 7 years. The car has otherwise been
>>> well maintained at an independent shop (new brakes, tires, etc.).
>>> However, having a timing belt break would be a pretty big deal.
>>>
>>> Trying to avoid doing work that doesn't need to be done, but will have
>>> it done as a precaution if there's no good way to tell what the status
>>> of the current belt is.

>>
>> Pull the cover and look for any markings on the belt. If you find an
>> aftermarket brand (Gates, etc.), or something that looks like a recent
>> date code, you're set. Does anyone know how/if the OEM belt is marked?

>
>
>
>I have not seen date codes on OEM timing belts or accessory drive belts.
>
>Sometimes part numbers change (are "superseded"). There are instances where
>you can get a rough idea as to the age of a belt by comparing the part
>number on that belt to the part number of the currently-available belt.
>
>If the life of the belt is unknown, there is no safe option other than
>replacing it pre-emptively.


Easy test. Push hard on the belt, then pull on it. If it feels
"crackly" or "crusty", replace it. If it stretches out of shape,
replace it. If it breaks, replace it. Otherwise, replace it.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

The RMS Titanic sank on April 15th. US income taxes
are due on April 15th. Coincidence? I think not.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10 May 2009, 10:42 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Timing Belts

KLS wrote:
> On Sun, 10 May 2009 08:45:14 -0700, jim beam <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> to the op, all the above tells you is that the work wasn't done at a
>> honda dealer. there are plenty of good independent honda shops out
>> there that could have done it. but you need evidence. if the seller
>> has the receipts, assume the belt has been changed. if not, get them to
>> discount the car by the full price of having it done by the dealer.
>> it's their loss if they didn't keep the evidence.

>
> This all reminds me: I am much more favorably inclined to buy a used
> car from someone who can give me a nice thick manila folder of repair
> receipts (and probably why I've been able to sell all my cars so
> successfully, as I'm anal about keeping all my receipts in
> chronological order, newest on top).


depends. i've seen cars with thick repair books, and all those repairs
done by complete idiots - no price premium or "confidence" there. for
myself, because i know what i'm looking for most of the time, i want a
car at the right price. if the works not been done, that's fine, but
the price has to reflect it. if the work's done, but badly, i want to
pay even less because it'll take more to fix.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10 May 2009, 11:57 pm
asadi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Timing Belts


"Flatlander" <flatlander47@cox.net> wrote in message
news:hpld05psaltg7m9dsun3p8ad5t8te7qpe4@4ax.com...
> Is there any reasonably easy way of telling if a timing belt has been
> recently changed? We're about to buy a 2001 Civic. The owner claims
> has had the timing belt changed (at 116k!). The Honda dealer has no
> record of having seen the car in 7 years. The car has otherwise been
> well maintained at an independent shop (new brakes, tires, etc.).
> However, having a timing belt break would be a pretty big deal.
>
> Trying to avoid doing work that doesn't need to be done, but will have
> it done as a precaution if there's no good way to tell what the status
> of the current belt is.


I've got an '01 Civic and the belts are specified to be replaced at a
certain number of miles or years...also the water pump since it has to come
off anyway, and one or two other things ....I think....anyhow...

This cost me 650 at an independent shop (almost a buddy) and included a
change of the transmission fluid...for my money, I'd just go ahead and have
it done at that price...and you are god for another 100K.

john


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11 May 2009, 01:07 pm
Dillon Pyron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Timing Belts

Thus spake "asadi" <j-s-baker@sbcglobal.invalid.net> :

>
>"Flatlander" <flatlander47@cox.net> wrote in message
>news:hpld05psaltg7m9dsun3p8ad5t8te7qpe4@4ax.com.. .
>> Is there any reasonably easy way of telling if a timing belt has been
>> recently changed? We're about to buy a 2001 Civic. The owner claims
>> has had the timing belt changed (at 116k!). The Honda dealer has no
>> record of having seen the car in 7 years. The car has otherwise been
>> well maintained at an independent shop (new brakes, tires, etc.).
>> However, having a timing belt break would be a pretty big deal.
>>
>> Trying to avoid doing work that doesn't need to be done, but will have
>> it done as a precaution if there's no good way to tell what the status
>> of the current belt is.

>
>I've got an '01 Civic and the belts are specified to be replaced at a
>certain number of miles or years...also the water pump since it has to come
>off anyway, and one or two other things ....I think....anyhow...
>
>This cost me 650 at an independent shop (almost a buddy) and included a
>change of the transmission fluid...for my money, I'd just go ahead and have
>it done at that price...and you are god for another 100K.
>
>john
>


I had mine done on my 96 Civic at 60 k miles but 7 years. The shop
said that seven was about right. Then he said "well, you're good
until 150 thousand or 2010." I told that to the guy who bought it
from me.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

The RMS Titanic sank on April 15th. US income taxes
are due on April 15th. Coincidence? I think not.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Timing belts Anon Honda 2 73 14 Dec 2008 12:34 pm
change timing belts hondaenthust Honda Technical 2 28 Aug 2008 03:29 am
Does Accord'08 has timing belts or timing chains? rm_seenu Honda Technical 4 29 Oct 2007 08:12 am
Do Timing Belts Ever Stretch? duckbill Honda 3 11 10 Apr 2006 10:04 pm
TIMING BELts d_tarn Honda 3 3 06 Jun 2004 09:59 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.