Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04 Apr 2004, 12:36 am
BaDBoY
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Wheel bearing replacement? 99 Civic Si

I have a 1999 Honda Civic Si (SIR in Canada) and whenever I hover the speed
around 58 km/hr I get a humming noise from the rear drivers side quarter.
I'm assuming that it could be the wheel bearing.

If I am correct, how much should I expect to pay for the part, and would it
be hard to install myself? The car does have ABS.

Thanks,

John


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04 Apr 2004, 07:17 pm
Joseph Wind
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Wheel bearing replacement? 99 Civic Si

It a pretty easy task if you're mechanically inclined. First check to make
sure your working on the right wheel, by jacking up the wheel and rotating
the wheel by hand. You'll feel a bit of friction when it starts to rub.
Check both sides to make sure and to check if the other side needs to be
replaced. You will need a big socket to remove the hub nut, a punch set and
a set of 8mm bolts to help remove the brake assembly. Don't forget to choke
the front tires when you lift the rear to work on the hubs.

I'm pretty sure the hub and bearings are a one piece set. I've tried
previously to just buy the bearing pack, and press them in myself (I have a
hydraulic press in my shop), but I had no source for the bearings. Cost is
about $150 or less for the hub set. You may want to pick up the a new hub
nut since the nut have a ring that need to be punched to lock them in place.

Good Luck!

JW


"BaDBoY" <bigbadDAMjohnSPAM@telus.net> wrote in message
news:a2Obc.21177$oR5.6913@pd7tw3no...
> I have a 1999 Honda Civic Si (SIR in Canada) and whenever I hover the

speed
> around 58 km/hr I get a humming noise from the rear drivers side quarter.
> I'm assuming that it could be the wheel bearing.
>
> If I am correct, how much should I expect to pay for the part, and would

it
> be hard to install myself? The car does have ABS.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04 Apr 2004, 07:23 pm
disallow
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Wheel bearing replacement? 99 Civic Si

its kinda stupid, you have to replace the whole assembly,
which costs about $150 after market up here in canada.
I need one for my '98, i think i will try the wrecker.

The only reason mine is on its way out is that the rim was loose at
highway speed for a while (my girlfriend was driving it)

t

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06 Apr 2004, 05:17 am
Joseph Wind
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Wheel bearing replacement? 99 Civic Si

I was just checking some parts, and I ran across the rear wheel hub with
bearings for about $60. I forgot to mention that you'll also need a torque
wrench to tighten the hub nut.

Good Luck!

"Joseph Wind" <jpg@gif.com> wrote in message
news:60c8a$4070a7de$45033b73$31140@msgid.meganewss ervers.com...
> It a pretty easy task if you're mechanically inclined. First check to

make
> sure your working on the right wheel, by jacking up the wheel and rotating
> the wheel by hand. You'll feel a bit of friction when it starts to rub.
> Check both sides to make sure and to check if the other side needs to be
> replaced. You will need a big socket to remove the hub nut, a punch set

and
> a set of 8mm bolts to help remove the brake assembly. Don't forget to

choke
> the front tires when you lift the rear to work on the hubs.
>
> I'm pretty sure the hub and bearings are a one piece set. I've tried
> previously to just buy the bearing pack, and press them in myself (I have

a
> hydraulic press in my shop), but I had no source for the bearings. Cost

is
> about $150 or less for the hub set. You may want to pick up the a new hub
> nut since the nut have a ring that need to be punched to lock them in

place.
>
> Good Luck!
>
> JW
>
>
> "BaDBoY" <bigbadDAMjohnSPAM@telus.net> wrote in message
> news:a2Obc.21177$oR5.6913@pd7tw3no...
> > I have a 1999 Honda Civic Si (SIR in Canada) and whenever I hover the

> speed
> > around 58 km/hr I get a humming noise from the rear drivers side

quarter.
> > I'm assuming that it could be the wheel bearing.
> >
> > If I am correct, how much should I expect to pay for the part, and would

> it
> > be hard to install myself? The car does have ABS.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > John
> >
> >

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06 Apr 2004, 08:08 pm
disallow
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Wheel bearing replacement? 99 Civic Si

Joseph,

Where did u find it for so cheap?

t

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07 Apr 2004, 01:47 pm
JC
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Wheel bearing replacement? 99 Civic Si


"BaDBoY" <bigbadDAMjohnSPAM@telus.net> wrote in message
news:a2Obc.21177$oR5.6913@pd7tw3no...
> I have a 1999 Honda Civic Si (SIR in Canada) and whenever I hover the

speed
> around 58 km/hr I get a humming noise from the rear drivers side quarter.
> I'm assuming that it could be the wheel bearing.
>
> If I am correct, how much should I expect to pay for the part, and would

it
> be hard to install myself? The car does have ABS.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>
>


You may just have a tire that's making noise. Check to see if you've got
any abnormal ridges or bumps in the tread portion (broken belt), and rotate
the tires to see if the noise follows....

JC


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08 Apr 2004, 12:08 am
Joseph Wind
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Wheel bearing replacement? 99 Civic Si

A bunch of places, most of the online parts stores use the same system. If
you have been to a few of them you'll notice a similarity in the menus. The
prices don't vary too much. The system most of them use is
eautopartcatalog.com. Some of the major chain autoparts stores use this
system.
These two sites use the same system:
http://www.sasponline.com/
http://www.importedcarparts.com/


"disallow" <loewen_t@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
news:ca98255892eb2db0f36819cb3f9710e4@localhost.ta lkaboutautos.com...
> Joseph,
>
> Where did u find it for so cheap?
>
> t
>



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09 Apr 2004, 11:56 am
BaDBoY
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Wheel bearing replacement? 99 Civic Si

Well, I thought it might be a tire issue so I did rotate them. It's still
in the rear drivers side so, I would bet money on the fact it's a wheel
bearing.

I went to part source and they quoted me $290! I asked for a deal because I
kind of know the guy and he said the best he could do is $210. I think it's
time to look online.

Thanks for all the info JW - you're a great resource

Thanks for all the info
"JC" <who@where.com> wrote in message
news:w1Ycc.37604$Tx6.5141@fe2.texas.rr.com...
>
> "BaDBoY" <bigbadDAMjohnSPAM@telus.net> wrote in message
> news:a2Obc.21177$oR5.6913@pd7tw3no...
> > I have a 1999 Honda Civic Si (SIR in Canada) and whenever I hover the

> speed
> > around 58 km/hr I get a humming noise from the rear drivers side

quarter.
> > I'm assuming that it could be the wheel bearing.
> >
> > If I am correct, how much should I expect to pay for the part, and would

> it
> > be hard to install myself? The car does have ABS.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > John
> >
> >

>
> You may just have a tire that's making noise. Check to see if you've got
> any abnormal ridges or bumps in the tread portion (broken belt), and

rotate
> the tires to see if the noise follows....
>
> JC
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09 Apr 2004, 12:08 pm
BaDBoY
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Wheel bearing replacement? 99 Civic Si

I can only find the front wheel bearing for my car for about $60. Did you
manage to find a rear one for the same price? It doesn't seem to list it on
either of the sites you recommended.

John

"Joseph Wind" <someone@anywhere.net> wrote in message
news:2fe91$407285e2$45033b73$22735@msgid.meganewss ervers.com...
> I was just checking some parts, and I ran across the rear wheel hub with
> bearings for about $60. I forgot to mention that you'll also need a

torque
> wrench to tighten the hub nut.
>
> Good Luck!
>
> "Joseph Wind" <jpg@gif.com> wrote in message
> news:60c8a$4070a7de$45033b73$31140@msgid.meganewss ervers.com...
> > It a pretty easy task if you're mechanically inclined. First check to

> make
> > sure your working on the right wheel, by jacking up the wheel and

rotating
> > the wheel by hand. You'll feel a bit of friction when it starts to rub.
> > Check both sides to make sure and to check if the other side needs to be
> > replaced. You will need a big socket to remove the hub nut, a punch set

> and
> > a set of 8mm bolts to help remove the brake assembly. Don't forget to

> choke
> > the front tires when you lift the rear to work on the hubs.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure the hub and bearings are a one piece set. I've tried
> > previously to just buy the bearing pack, and press them in myself (I

have
> a
> > hydraulic press in my shop), but I had no source for the bearings. Cost

> is
> > about $150 or less for the hub set. You may want to pick up the a new

hub
> > nut since the nut have a ring that need to be punched to lock them in

> place.
> >
> > Good Luck!
> >
> > JW
> >
> >
> > "BaDBoY" <bigbadDAMjohnSPAM@telus.net> wrote in message
> > news:a2Obc.21177$oR5.6913@pd7tw3no...
> > > I have a 1999 Honda Civic Si (SIR in Canada) and whenever I hover the

> > speed
> > > around 58 km/hr I get a humming noise from the rear drivers side

> quarter.
> > > I'm assuming that it could be the wheel bearing.
> > >
> > > If I am correct, how much should I expect to pay for the part, and

would
> > it
> > > be hard to install myself? The car does have ABS.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > John
> > >
> > >

> >
> >

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09 Apr 2004, 06:55 pm
Joseph Wind
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Wheel bearing replacement? 99 Civic Si

It been a while since I replaced my hubs. It seems they are selling the
bearings by themselves instead of the whole assembly. The sources I posted
were just examples, but if you do some searching on the Web, you'll find
them. I can't remember the URL of the site I found the part. There is more
than one manufacturer of these bearings, Timken, Koyo and SKR are the brands
I would stick with since they are the OEM for Honda, Toyota, and Nissan.

If I run across it again, I'll post it to the NG.

Good Luck!

JW

"BaDBoY" <bigbadDAMjohnSPAM@telus.net> wrote in message
news:uBAdc.59801$Ig.35106@pd7tw2no...
> Well, I thought it might be a tire issue so I did rotate them. It's still
> in the rear drivers side so, I would bet money on the fact it's a wheel
> bearing.
>
> I went to part source and they quoted me $290! I asked for a deal because

I
> kind of know the guy and he said the best he could do is $210. I think

it's
> time to look online.
>
> Thanks for all the info JW - you're a great resource
>
> Thanks for all the info



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheel Bearing Replacement 95 Accord Nick Honda 3 4 29 Jan 2007 09:20 am
1993 Civic DX HB AT Wheel Bearing? John M. Honda 3 4 16 Sep 2006 09:18 pm
95 Accord Front Wheel Bearing Replacement DIY? BigELilE05@msn.com Honda 3 7 20 Jul 2006 11:21 pm
Rear Civic wheel bearing update. r2000swler@hotmail.com Honda 3 5 21 Sep 2005 08:51 am
1990 Civic left rear wheel bearing? r2000swler@hotmail.com Honda 3 12 18 Sep 2005 08:47 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.